Berra......

Section Q

Surprised there's nothing on here about his first game back since being isolated by Stendel.

Thought he showed commitment and took the ball forward a few times. IMO he's still dedicated to the club and hopefully can recover form.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

1 minute ago, Section Q said:

Surprised there's nothing on here about his first game back since being isolated by Stendel.

Thought he showed commitment and took the ball forward a few times. IMO he's still dedicated to the club and hopefully can recover form.

I didn't see the game. That's good to know. Hopefully, Berra can end his Hearts career (whenever that might be) on a high. He deserves to.

He was launching aimless balls forward, as he usually does. He needs to stop it or there can't be a place for him in this team.

I want him to do well and I'd love him to get back to his best. It just won't happen though.

I wouldn't even care if his long balls were actually accurate and helped us play in behind defense but his aim is terrible. 

First game after a lengthy absence, I'll reserve judgement until he is match fit.  However I would imagine he will provide a bit depth to the squad at this level, though I would imagine if we get promoted his time as a first team member maybe numbered.

A fully fit Berra will definitely have something to offer this year. Away games where it’ll be an arial bombardment. Any tall striker has the beating of Halkett and Popescu in the air. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Not the big mans fault injury spoiled his last couple of years. Be good for him to get back fit, don’t see a place for him in the starting line up but who knows... on last nights evidence he is still some way away. But an ok option to rotate in for 5-10 games or so. Just not the same player anymore and never will be again

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Gordon Ramsay

Love the big guy but his time as a starter is done. Maybe 15 mins off the bench at the end if we're toiling. 

Can barely run and his hoofs don't do us any good. 

Be good to see a fit Berra back in the squad. As it stands just now though he’s probably fourth or maybe even fifth choice for the centre back spot.  He certainly looked very rusty last night and it’s going to take him a while to attain real match fitness. Just hope that folk cut him a little slack just now because he’s been a real asset to the club in the past. 

wentworth jambo
Just now, Gordon Ramsay said:

Love the big guy but his time as a starter is done. Maybe 15 mins off the bench at the end if we're toiling. 

Can barely run and his hoofs don't do us any good. 

This + any time a forward gets near our box, the penalty risk is huge as he has no way of stopping them other than grappling. I also recognise his place in the history of the club but sometimes we need to be cruel to be kind and say enough is enough....appreciate it's his first game for a while, but with the greatest respect he was rag dolled by East Fife !!!

18Jambo_dave74

First of all, I think it should be taken in to account that I think yesterday would have been his first game since he last played for Dundee in March so only to be expected that he would be rusty. 

I would be extremely surprised if he became a first choice this season. He was always an excellent (old fashioned) centre back however I don't think he is capable of playing at the required level anymore. I suspect he did well at Dundee as he was probably putting his body on the line, making headed clearances etc - the kind of stuff he has always been good at.

I would expect that we will have the majority of possession in just about every game this season therefore Berra cannot play in this team. His passing always was his weakness however it is now excruciating to watch. I can still remember many games last season where he would try and play a simple pass out to Hickey and get it wrong (and moan at Hickey). 

This is the last year of his contract and I would fully expect that it will not be extended. I think he will comfortably serve a purpose as a squad player but like many of our players (most that were on show last night) I would expect them to move on once we get promoted. 

I do think it should be remembered what an excellent player he has been for us and also what a good servant he has been. Let's not forget when he signed for us 3/4 years ago he could have still have been playing at a higher level - or certainly earning much more money. I would say that he and Craig Gordon are the examples of what we would like to see at Hearts - talented youngsters brought through; sold for good money; good careers and plenty of international caps then coming home to finish their careers at Hearts. 

Edited by 18Jambo_dave74

Glad he’s fit & back playing. 

Can we at least give the guy a chance to get match fit before passing judgement? 
He’s a decent, honest Pro who’s shown great commitment to the Club. 

Gordon Ramsay
11 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

This + any time a forward gets near our box, the penalty risk is huge as he has no way of stopping them other than grappling. I also recognise his place in the history of the club but sometimes we need to be cruel to be kind and say enough is enough....appreciate it's his first game for a while, but with the greatest respect he was rag dolled by East Fife !!!

Yep. Don't think the match fit argument holds much water either given how pish he was last season before Stendel shipped him out. 

Been a great servant to the club but his place is on the bench now. 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Yep. Don't think the match fit argument holds much water either given how pish he was last season before Stendel shipped him out. 

Been a great servant to the club but his place is on the bench now. 

and then did very well at dundee according to reports. 

I'll wait for him to get up to the same fitness levels he had at Dundee  - and go with RN's opinion - before writing him off. 

Jambo, Goodbye

If his presence on the bench helps our current CBs to keep their form as high as they can, then it's all good. 

Also glad to have cover again. 

He will do just grand in the Championship as we are up against cloggers most weeks. He is no nonsense and solid.

However, he is finished at a top level. The SPL has no place for a defender who just head punts the ball forward all game.

kingantti1874

Not played for a long time, but will absolutely be able to play a role off the bench.. best when we need to defend the penalty box as opposed to period on the game we are dominating 

Berra may have a place in games like Alloa, Arbroath or QotS if they start launching balls but he’s done as a first team regular. He was done after his injury against Celtic. It showed after he came back. Stendal was right last season.

He should never have been given the years extension by CL but was so we are saddled with a player on a high wage until the end of this season. 

Popescu will be back up next season if we go up with hopefully Souttar back.

He's 35, his best days are long behind him. He isn't going to suddenly turn into an amazing defender again. Has been a great player over the years for us but time has caught him up.

Gordon Ramsay
15 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

and then did very well at dundee according to reports. 

I'll wait for him to get up to the same fitness levels he had at Dundee  - and go with RN's opinion - before writing him off. 

A few good performances at Dundee doesn't excuse some of the displays he put in last season. 

He's never been the same since his hamstring went, although age has maybe caught up with him too. 

He's lost almost all of his mobility. Can just about run in a straight line, but he struggles to turn either on the ball or when defending. I'll be concerned if we end up in a situation where we are relying on him this season. 

Good to see him back.  A tough game for him as well, with a team of mostly reserves.  The injury in preseason was ill timed, I worry it might be difficult for him to get the minutes needed to get fit.  In saying that, if he has to wait a while before being called upon, I'm sure he'll work hard on fitness and be ready.  

A Shoreditch Heart

it's great to see him back in the squad after such a long absence, so can we give the man a bit of time to get his fitness up to speed before we all write off please....

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Isolated by stendel.  Good one that.   How about berra was found out by stendel and rightfully moved on. 

Can't be too harsh as it was his first game in months but it says a lot that east fife commentators said they were sad to see him get subbed due to the amount of joy they were getting out of him. So susceptible to the ball over the top its crazy. I hope he manages to prove he still ha something to offer but right now he doesn't. I don't feel good saying it but I don't want him in the team.

He was awful last night but give him the benefit of the doubt. It was his first game since March.

He will play his part this season and I’m sure he’ll improve. But he will never be back to his best I don’t think.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, Herbert said:

He's finished. Are we all forgetting his performances last season? 

Same shit, different season.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
Just now, Herbert said:

Players get away with being shit at hearts if they are a fan favourite. 

Yes, think some find it to hard to let go.

Dagger Is Back

First game back since March?

Took his place in a shuffled back 5

Got good reports from his time at Dundee

Our other two CHs will get bullied senseless but physical strikers, Berra won't IMO

In terms of hoofing it up the park, I didn't see the game last night, but the last time I saw Berra doing that it was because no-one other than a left back and a CH partner, was even remotely interested in dropping short for the ball. In fact yellow bellies like Whelan actually turned their back and ran away from him

He's been a loyal servant for us so I think he should get time to get properly fit before people start throwing stones although that is their right. I'll reserve personal judgement until I see him playing with players who actually give a monkeys like Haring

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

A fully fit Berra will definitely have something to offer this year. Away games where it’ll be an arial bombardment. Any tall striker has the beating of Halkett and Popescu in the air. 

That part I'd totally disagree with, while some seem to dislike Craig Halkett for various reasons one thing Halkett is very good at is winning the ball in the air. Last night we were poor defensively, Berra has to be match fit now given how long he has been out but he isn't the player he was in the past any more. Going forward I think the middle three will become a choice of Halkett, Popescu and Souttar once he is fit to play again.

We never looked like losing last night, but failed to really capitalise on getting the opening two goals so early on.

Pasquale for King

I think the biggest problem is how we manage to get him fully match fit with so few games that he can play in. 
He did well for Dundee in the middle of a three, we don’t play that system often. 
A few games off the bench and a send off in front of fans at the end of the season is all he can hope for. 

49 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

A few good performances at Dundee doesn't excuse some of the displays he put in last season. 

He's never been the same since his hamstring went, although age has maybe caught up with him too. 

Agree THAT injury has probably put paid to him getting back to where he was. I just think with a run of games / full fitness (and playing in front of a normal keeper) we may see a different Berra. It was his first game in ages last night, bound to be rusty.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That part I'd totally disagree with, while some seem to dislike Craig Halkett for various reasons one thing Halkett is very good at is winning the ball in the air. Last night we were poor defensively, Berra has to be match fit now given how long he has been out but he isn't the player he was in the past any more. Going forward I think the middle three will become a choice of Halkett, Popescu and Souttar once he is fit to play again.

We never looked like losing last night, but failed to really capitalise on getting the opening two goals so early on.

Neilson has said he favours a four, Souttar is unlikely to ever get back to his best unfortunately and Halkett attacks the ball better in the opposing box better than his own, look at Hibs offside equaliser for instance. 
East Fife missed a sitter at the end last night and could’ve had another penalty. 
Berra was awful too. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Agree THAT injury has probably put paid to him getting back to where he was. I just think with a run of games / full fitness (and playing in front of a normal keeper) we may see a different Berra. It was his first game in ages last night, bound to be rusty.

How is he going to get a run of games though, we need to be winning games like Dunfermline who are above us. 

14 minutes ago, Herbert said:

He's finished. Are we all forgetting his performances last season? 

If he was a Hibs player we would be laughing at them.

Great back in his day, but he was finished by the time last season started. His aimless long balls last night had nothing to do with fitness, he just isn't any good. 

We'll be fine this season, but we are weak at centre half, i include Souttar in that  

portobellojambo1
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Neilson has said he favours a four, Souttar is unlikely to ever get back to his best unfortunately and Halkett attacks the ball better in the opposing box better than his own, look at Hibs offside equaliser for instance. 
East Fife missed a sitter at the end last night and could’ve had another penalty. 
Berra was awful too. 

No problem with that, and it was why I said choice, in that if one of the three was unfit/suspended the other two would become the two central defenders, I'm not sure if we will meet anyone during the league season where three central defenders would really be needed in a game.

Edited by portobellojambo1

8 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Fully agree with you regarding Halkett, I also don’t think it was coincidental that Popescu had a poor game alongside Berra although the two full backs didn’t help matters.

Im not sure I can agree with the , we never looked like losing , though 

Anyone that think Berra will be useful for aerial ball etc must be watching a different game. 

He spent the whole first half of last season being bullied by every centre fwd in the league. The home games v Hamilton, Ross County and Motherwell being prime examples. 

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Fully agree with you regarding Halkett, I also don’t think it was coincidental that Popescu had a poor game alongside Berra although the two full backs didn’t help matters.

Im not sure I can agree with the , we never looked like losing , though 

Maybe I was being overkind in saying that.

Hackney Hearts
15 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Imagine if we have a CB injured and he starts v Celtic in the final? Game would be over before it even began.

Has he deteriorated that much since he started last year's cup final against the same opposition? (which we only lost in the last 8 minutes) Assuming he can get match fit by 20 December of course.

I'll reserve judgement for now - although obviously he'll never be the player he once was.

1 hour ago, Dallas Green said:

He was launching aimless balls forward, as he usually does. He needs to stop it or there can't be a place for him in this team.

I want him to do well and I'd love him to get back to his best. It just won't happen though.

I wouldn't even care if his long balls were actually accurate and helped us play in behind defense but his aim is terrible. 

Lets face it he is hardly likely to change his style at his age. He has never been strong in his distribution but he seems to be getting more inclined to use the long range punt. 

There are times when that can be the best thing to do but he does it far too often now.

Was a real mixed bag last night. I commented early on that he stood up to a couple runners early and showed very composed defending and the pace to deal with younger attackers.

He also found Wighton in particular with a few of his hoofs and it seemed to he causing East Fife real problems.

As the match wore on his long passes turned to completely aimless clearances. And the defense turned to shit.

Now that was all of them, but when your commanding experienced centre back wears the captains armband, he needs to play a part in even the failings of others. But he got ran ragged by Hamilton and Wallace as well, after maybe the first 25 minutes, they started causing him issues and got real joy out of Berra. And he lost a couple headers in the box......if he can't even do that right he is struggling.

If we'd pulled him after the first half hour I might have given him a glowing review. But we didn't and he spent 60 minutes looking lost.

I think he will be emergency cover and little more until he shows a lot more than last night.