Berra......

Section Q

I thought Berra played fine last night. Certainly better than he was against East Fife. Not sure how he’ll do on the plastic pitch at Alloa though. Hate these artificial pitches. 

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

He’ll benefit from playing with Gordon and Haring. 

Being in league below is good for him. Opposition not as good both as attacking threat and when pressing. 

Berra even made few nice passes on the deck. Maybe confidence is getting back

Think he in starting Xi now...Popescu being average has helped that. Will see how he copes against Edouard! 

Berra playing with Gordon behind and Haring in front......better

Berra (or anyone) playing with pereira / zlamal behind and damour / whelan in front.....

I know what I'd prefer.

Last night we learned nothing new about Berra, he did fine overall but remained vulnerable to ball played behind him into space.

Good squad player for the  Championship.

3 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Like when Levein was manager, the club are refusing to face facts with Berra. Hard to understand why we’re persisting with a 35 year old who is way past his best. But it’s symptomatic of how poor we are at building and maintaining a good squad.

We're persisting with Berra because he's still under contract and can still do a decent job as a back up option in the Championship. The alternative would be to pay Berra off, try to convince a good SPFL quality replacement too move down to the Championship, and then stump up the transfer fee and/or wages for him during a pandemic. 

I'd prefer us to keep Christophe as an option whilst running down his contract, and then sign his replacement when we're in a better position, both financially and in terms of selling power. 

When Berra first came back to Hearts he was excellent and still a regular in the Scotland Team.  When watching him for Scotland, he rarely punted the ball aimlessly as he always had options to pass too.

I think having Haring back will help as he'll look to take the ball from Berra and start attacks.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Berra is better than Popescu in my opinion.

By a country mile, mate.

Have a feeling he may play on Saturday though, just due to the plastic surface.  Berra looked like he was getting the ball stuck at his feet on his comeback game on the plastic.

Thought Berra played well too. His passing was a bit messy, but its not his strength and he was at least trying to find team mates with passes rather than aimless punts which is good to see.

I hope he can rediscover his form. Perhaps having Popescu can help ease the burden as Berra can be saved and not played on plastic pitches etc. 

Berra done what was needed and that is defend.

Berra is now ahead of popescu as he can actually defend. 

I hope this is the sign that Robbie has realised after the defeat to Dunfermiline that in Scottish football we dont need ball playing centre backs( its nice to have) we need Defenders who can make tackles and win headers.

4 hours ago, Rods said:

Berra done what was needed and that is defend.

Berra is now ahead of popescu as he can actually defend. 

I hope this is the sign that Robbie has realised after the defeat to Dunfermiline that in Scottish football we dont need ball playing centre backs( its nice to have) we need Defenders who can make tackles and win headers.

Its a fair point, I'm happy to give Berra between now and the final to build a partnership with Halkett. Injuries last season were a big issue in our centreback pairing (think we lost Berra, Souttar & Halkett at different points?). 

Popescu doesn't fill me with the sort of confidence you need to have going into playing Celtic, even with their downturn under Lennon. 

8 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

i think you’re responding to someone who doesn’t get the idea of fair and balanced comment and is trying to pour scorn on anyone who disagrees with his negativity. 

Negativity? No. Stating the obvious.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

We’ve scored another winner with Popescu like :facepalm:

Any owner worth their salt would have completely reviewed our recruitment department, such as it is.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We’ve scored another winner with Popescu like :facepalm:

Any owner worth their salt would have completely reviewed our recruitment department, such as it is.

Popescu was something of an emergency signing following a long term injury to John Souttar and a shorter term delay to Berra. He was a known quantity given that he had done well on loan in the SPFL with St Mirren and specifically was known to Robbie given that he played two games against Dundee United in the 2019 play offs. I’d say that the jury is still out on him but am quite happy to agree that right back is not his position.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Always been a fighter but obviously delusional in terms of his deterioration.  Dont think I’ve ever heard one fan saying his deterioration is due to age. It was due to his injury. His performance levels have been a car crash since his first game back, iirc against Motherwell league cup, we won 3-2 or 4-2 but the difference in Berra that night was a sorry sight. Everyone thought that day - “have we just rushed him back too soon?” but there’s been no improvement in the subsequent 2 years. 

Bigger picture, 2 new center halves are needed in preparation for the premiership return as the squad gets rebuilt. If Christophe wants to keep playing every week next year, it’ll be at Caley or Partick maybe, one of the good clubs, and good luck to him he will show their fans what a former top class Scotland defender looks like, with man mountain defensive displays. That’s the next logical move for him but Hearts will need much better quality on the ball once we’re up and out of this pub league. 

• 2 weeks later...

Almost cost us a goal at nil nil. Other than that, was easy street for the back line. Morton really didn’t attempt to attack us till 10 minutes to go. 

3 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Almost cost us a goal at nil nil. Other than that, was easy street for the back line. Morton really didn’t attempt to attack us till 10 minutes to go. 

Sums it up well. One of the easiest games he'll play this season. 

Jambof3tornado
40 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Was very good today

Strolled the game.

But the opposition was poor.

Pleased to see him doing ok though.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Strolled the game.

yep, but a big asset in this league..

14 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Strolled the game.

Morton are better than Alloa.....

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

yep, but a big asset in this league..

Only because popescu hasnt flourished, but agreed Berra is a big asset and will be needed, perhaps more than anyone thought.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, JohnB said:

Some folk are easy pleased. Reminds me of Winston from "Still Game" - a character with similar problems. 

What did you expect today? Some ****ing mazy runs or something ? A wee hat trick 😂😂😂😂, maybe a step over or 6? think about what you are saying

did his job, retained possession, zero mistakes 👍🏻 The end 

Very comfortable and played well. Wins absolutely everything in the air which you need in this league as a lot  of teams will lump it long. Also kept it simple at the back. Solid

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

Very comfortable and played well. Wins absolutely everything in the air which you need in this league as a lot  of teams will lump it long. Also kept it simple at the back. Solid

exactly

Maybe a back 3 against Celtic....anyhoo, good to hear he’s playing well and defence certainly seems tighter for him playing. Was it 4231 today with Walker and Naismith starting wide with Lee in the middle?

44 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Can we trust Christophe in a 4 v. Celtic?

That's the next big question.

How about having berra central in a 3 for cup final?

I hope the team for celtic is this..

Gordon

Smith Berra Halkett

Ginelly Haring Halliday Kingsley

Naismith

Wighton Boyce

5 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Maybe a back 3 against Celtic....anyhoo, good to hear he’s playing well and defence certainly seems tighter for him playing. Was it 4231 today with Walker and Naismith starting wide with Lee in the middle?

Certainly be interested to see how a back 3 team would shape up. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Popescu Kingsley

Haring Irving

Walker

Naismith Boyce

One thing I've noticed is when we've tried a back 3 before we've never looked comfortable. I'd love to be able to play it, I think it offers a real chance to let our attacking players express themselves, but if they can't do it comfortably, I'm not sure there is much point trying. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kinglsey

Walker Haring Irving Ginelly

Naismith Boyce

I quite like. Not sure Walker offers much out wide, but safe to say he'd be up for it if nothing else. Certainly a better option than Frear or Roberts IMO. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

What did you expect today? Some ****ing mazy runs or something ? A wee hat trick 😂😂😂😂, maybe a step over or 6? think about what you are saying

did his job, retained possession, zero mistakes 👍🏻 The end 

Thanks. 

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Yes it was that formation today, then Naismith went to 10 with Lee on the right. Walker did ok wide left with Naismith screaming telling him what to do. 
I think with our defence three at the back might be for the best against Celtic but I think it will be Halkett or Berra in the middle. 

jack D and coke
On 25/11/2020 at 11:39, upgotheheads said:

I don’t like to see Berra in the starting line up anymore being honest but a choice between him and Popescu is quite an easy one. Popescu is a an absolute huddy. 

I think folk on here have completely forgotten that Christophe Berra has played 600 odd games at the EPL, Championship, SPL and at International level. Aye, he's not what he was but he knows how to play Centerhalf. Berra's probably forgotten more about playing Centerhalf than Popescu and Halkett know ffs. 

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Can we trust Christophe in a 4 v. Celtic?

That's the next big question.

With Haring in front of him and Gordon behind him, yes.

Right now, I’m more concerned about Halkett. 

Edited by gashauskis9