Berra......

Section Q

Dusk_Till_Dawn
18 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Football is a team game, we only play as a team in patches. There's too many happy to pass the buck and hope someone else does it for them. 

Berra is good enough for this level for this season, but we need to adjust the way we play and just leave him to defend, or get a replacement in this window. 

Moving Smith from full back would be a terrible decision, Harring out of midfield isn't great either. We need Halkett to step up and take more responsibility and the likes of Halliday to use their experience. Berra has made mistakes I've watched them like you have but we absolutely do not help ourselves leaving him exposed so often.

The mentality of most of our squad isnt that of winners, it's more a turn up when they can be bothered and when they can't leave it to someone else. The exceptions being Berra Smith Boyce Kingsley and Harring but they can't do it all by themselves.

Berra can’t do what by himself? He’s woeful. I respect what he once was but he’s now a massive liability.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Berra can’t do what by himself? He’s woeful. I respect what he once was but he’s now a massive liability.

Correct, the suggestion that 2-3 players have to up their game or adjust their position to cover for a centre half who’s fire is just about out is ludicrous. We need a signing at centre half, whether that’s a loan or a free or a purchase. Get him out of the team. Shake his hand and thank him for his service at the end of the season. Get him replaced. It’s utterly obvious he won’t do next season anyway.

Ex member of the SaS

Berra has been a great player and a great servant to the club, However Stendle saw his weakness and shipped him out. The game at all levels is much quicker and the older players get the slower they are. In a lot of situations Berra has been caught out ,but this is not always his fault, by not having two up front or a mid that pushes forward, the defense is restricted to what passes they can make. Many times I have posted that Smith moves the ball forward and is then lost as there is no one to pass to, and this is true for Berra. No one making that telling run or enough players forward to allow the defense to make that pass.

We need a complete rethink of how we approach these games. Tactics maybe ok for the top flight but down here we should be slightly more gungho.

Berra should be considered as back up to a new CB whoever that maybe.

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I'm not disagreeing with anyone that Berra needs replaced, there's no chance he can play next season but right now it's either shuffle round the team or go with Berra and try and protect him and just let him defend. It's not Berras fault he's one of only 3 fit Central defenders and the manager is picking him but for as long as he does he'll at least give us everything he has unlike half that squad.

Unless Souttar makes a miraculous recovery or we buy someone then Berra plays, which says it all about Popescu and our youth academy.

If he plays then we need to stop leaving him isolated with the ball and get someone in midfield to anchor and protect our back line, even the shitey teams can cut through our midfield with ease.

A_A wehatethehibs
55 minutes ago, bigmack said:

Very poor management that he is one of the 1st choice CBs

For the new management coming in, What was the alternative, send him on loan somewhere with Hearts picking up 75% of his wages and getting nothing in return? Last year of his deal so, I say we’re taking the right approach. He can work hard, earn his wages and go out on his shield at the end of this season with a piece of minor silverware to at least have a good memory of the end of his time in maroon. 

If he gets a contract extension for next season that would be bad management. That would go beyond bad management actually. There would be absolute uproar in the fans. I refuse to believe it would even be considered, to be honest Neilson should be saying to him now, he’s free to talk to other clubs go and sign a pre

contract somewhere if he wants to keep playing. That way the fans will settle knowing for sure that he is not in any way part of the plans, just a stop gap to get us out the championship. 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Berra has been a great player and a great servant to the club, However Stendle saw his weakness and shipped him out. The game at all levels is much quicker and the older players get the slower they are. In a lot of situations Berra has been caught out ,but this is not always his fault, by not having two up front or a mid that pushes forward, the defense is restricted to what passes they can make. Many times I have posted that Smith moves the ball forward and is then lost as there is no one to pass to, and this is true for Berra. No one making that telling run or enough players forward to allow the defense to make that pass.

We need a complete rethink of how we approach these games. Tactics maybe ok for the top flight but down here we should be slightly more gungho.

Berra should be considered as back up to a new CB whoever that maybe.

I agrre with your summary and would add.

Part of the problem for Berra is that he is playing alongside Halkett who was used to playing in a back three where he was the spare man at Livi. The other two were the real CB's. Guthrie is one of them and out of contract at the end of the season. WE could do worse than try and sign him.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting one here out of contract at the end of the season but been captain for a couple of games this season, do we offer a new contract or move on ?

I think he’s had the captaincy out of respect......unfortunately his time is up with us. Someone like Falkirk or Dunfermline might be a decent option for him for the next couple of seasons.

That injury v Celtic robbed him of any hopes of an extended career at Hearts.

Terrific when he first came back, probably the outstanding defender in the country.

The injury finished him, he was always deceptively quick and put his head through every single ball in the air.

Since the injury he has lost absolutely every redeeming quality he had, he has no pace anymore, gets caught under the ball, has forgotten how to defend and has turned into a complete liability.

Thank you for the years of service but if we could get him out of the door now I would be more than happy 

8 minutes ago, copa-mundial said:

Thank him for his commitment and being a terrific servant over two separate spells. 

The summer is time to part ways. 

Yep lost a lot of mobility after that. He was a colossus up until then. 

He's a really decent guy and he loves the club, He'll be part of the team that gets us back up then it's over. He knows it himself.

Its unlikely as this is JKB but can we keep this thread respectful. He's been a good servant to the club and despite the recent mistakes he still gives his all for Hearts.

Halkett doesn’t do it for me either and if John Souter can’t stay fit then we are looking at having to sign at least three CB over the next while. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

He was on point for a while, he stubbed his toe in our new pitch and hasn't been the same since. 

Time to move on. 

Or alternative he tore the hamstring off the bone. 
But you know, if being an arse about it makes you feel better then horse on.  

Just now, Tazio said:

This. 

Let's show the guy some respect ffs. 

Just now, Tazio said:

You agree that he's been ****ed ever since that though? and we should get rid of him. 

1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

He's a really decent guy and he loves the club, He'll be part of the team that gets us back up then it's over. He knows it himself.

Its unlikely as this is JKB but can we keep this thread respectful. He's been a good servant to the club and despite the recent mistakes he still gives his all for Hearts.

I second this and I started the thread, is not a dig at all has been a great servant to club and country was simply asking the question.

I hope in time going on Hearts are full of Berra like players and in my eyes he is a hearts legend.

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

You agree that he's been ****ed ever since that though? and we should get rid of him. 

That’s not the point. The fact is you tried to trivialise a serious injury that stopped the career of a great servant for a cheap gag.  

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He was on point for a while, he stubbed his toe in our new pitch and hasn't been the same since. 

Time to move on. 

Give it a rest eh. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Another thread slagging off a fine servant to the club is just what's needed. 

I struggle to see what in the original post was slagging anyone ?

Edited by steve123

Just now, Tazio said:

That’s not the point. The fact is you tried to trivialise a serious injury that stopped the career of a great servant for a cheap gag.  

Fair enough, i was thinking about david haye at the time. 

The point stands, he got injured on that new pitch, hasn't been the same since and isn't good enough now. 

3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Fair enough, i was thinking about david haye at the time. 

The point stands, he got injured on that new pitch, hasn't been the same since and isn't good enough now. 

David Haye stubbed his toe at Tynecastle. 

14 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Worst first team player we have. I’d rather have Pereira at centre back

Worse than Roberts. Get a grip man. 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

absolutely no excuse for anything other than this. The type of character we need at the club.. sadly his best days are past 

there is no excuse for anything other than respect

13 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Do not feed the Hibs troll

Parttimer1874

If he has coaching ambitions i'd like to think we could find him a place at the club to do that. A great professional who plays for the jersey would be great to have around the academy IMO.

He’s struggled ever since his bad hamstring injury against Celtic. He’s always relied on his pace and physicality and he’s pretty hopeless now he’s lost his pace. 

Great player before the injury but it's been obvious for a while he's a weak link. Id imagine he'll be on decent cash, we should be looking to use that to bring someone else of good quality in.

If he wants to end his career here, let him. Possibly a stupid opinion but i’m one for sentimentality when it’s a club captain and Hearts man. Especially if he can help young players come on.

Will be max 1 more year surely. No way Berra is thinking longer than that. Then might be different. But 1 year extension for Christophe to be 4th/5th choice won’t kill us 

haveyouheard1874

Berra will be on a good wage and that will go signing a top player when we let him go

Love the guy but time to move on and if and when he goes i wish him all the best 

5 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

At least Roberts can change direction 

Yeah he normally goes backwards. 

32 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Superb post Rudy

28 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I struggle to see what in the original post was slagging anyone ?

You didn’t mate. There’s a lot of over-sensitive fans , over-protective of everything Hearts. 

CB is like any player there has ever been that there comes a time the body can’t cope at the highest level, no matter how hard in his own mind he thinks he can still hack it.

He’s been a player I’ve loved having in maroon in both his spells. Great competitor, intelligent , brave defender.  But I think it’s time for big decisions without sentiment. Something we took too long to do in recent times on other issues. We need strong leadership and strong decisions for the better of the team.

Edited by Debut 4

27 minutes ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

Christophe is the most difficult, a one year deal may work.

Under no circumstances in my opinion. Been a fine servant but no room or finance for sentiment