Berra......

Section Q

alwaysthereinspirit

Craig Gordon has been the biggest signing this season. No defender worries now about what is going on behind them.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

9 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Can we trust Christophe in a 4 v. Celtic?

That's the next big question.

I thought he was one of our best players against them in last years final

On 25/11/2020 at 11:25, Arry said:

Berra was fine as he should be in this league.  What he needs is midfield to show when he has the ball so he doesn’t have to hoof it.   Haring  helps with this but we need more.

Too right.

When Haring and Irving receive the ball, there always seems to be plenty space to then turn and plan ahead.  With Halliday and Lee, by the time they’ve got the ball under control it’s too late.  

In the absence of Souttar, Berra is still our best central defender.

Seems to be getting some confidence and fitness back now, which can only be a good thing.

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Seems to be getting some confidence and fitness back now, which can only be a good thing.

100%

I wish folk would just judge on performances.. sure if he had a shocker we get to criticise. But when he has a good game Is just absolute bellend behaviour.. Folk who’d rather he do badly, that hearts do badly rather than change their irrelevant opinions.. 

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I think folk on here have completely forgotten that Christophe Berra has played 600 odd games at the EPL, Championship, SPL and at International level. Aye, he's not what he was but he knows how to play Centerhalf. Berra's probably forgotten more about playing Centerhalf than Popescu and Halkett know ffs. 

Exactly 

and he can Win headers and put his body on the line all day long. Quite a handy thing when playing centre half.

clean slate for him with me.let’s not forget pereira ( lettuce hands) contributed massively to his form going to pot  last season. With Gordon in goal think we could see Berra back to some sort of form. 

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Barney bulge said:

Exactly 

and he can Win headers and put his body on the line all day long. Quite a handy thing when playing centre half.

clean slate for him with me.let’s not forget pereira ( lettuce hands) contributed massively to his form going to pot  last season. With Gordon in goal think we could see Berra back to some sort of form. 

that and not being asked to defend on half way.. 

there will be some games he isn’t best suited to, and he won’t be able to play every game..

but he is still a very useful asset

Also I wish just for a second when people discuss him they will remember how he got badly hurt .. putting his body on the line for this club..

a little respect is the least he deserves

Edited by kingantti1874

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes it was that formation today, then Naismith went to 10 with Lee on the right. Walker did ok wide left with Naismith screaming telling him what to do. 
I think with our defence three at the back might be for the best against Celtic but I think it will be Halkett or Berra in the middle. 

Cheers, thought that’s what it was.

I like a back 3 with Smith in as sweeper probably behind Berra and Halkett. Problem would be who would go to the right - Brandon maybe?

Gordon

Smith

Halkett Berra 

Brandon Haring Irving Kingsley

Walker Naismith

Boyce

Can also put Halliday to left wing back, Smith to the right and put Kingsley into the back 3.

Brilliant again yesterday a couple of mistimed passes but who cares at this level. Won every header won every tackle and done well what a centre half should do. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dusty said:

Cheers, thought that’s what it was.

I like a back 3 with Smith in as sweeper probably behind Berra and Halkett. Problem would be who would go to the right - Brandon maybe?

Gordon

Smith

Halkett Berra 

Brandon Haring Irving Kingsley

Walker Naismith

Boyce

Can also put Halliday to left wing back, Smith to the right and put Kingsley into the back 3.

It’s likely whoever plays wingback will be up against Laxalt and Frimpong so will have to be able to look after them. We do have options though which is always good. We are a bit weak at CH and might need an extra body in there to deal with the huge heid diver. 

13 minutes ago, Rods said:

Brilliant again yesterday a couple of mistimed passes but who cares at this level. Won every header won every tackle and done well what a centre half should do. 

As predicted, has something to prove after being badly treated by club last season.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Shows you how poor we are there, will need two new players there for next season. 

2 hours ago, Barney bulge said:

Exactly 

Yes but he was pretty poor after his injury too for six months, he’s ok at this level. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

As predicted, has something to prove after being badly treated by club last season.

Did they go crying to the press about being rightly dropped?

45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did they go crying to the press about being rightly dropped?

Rightly dropped?

Pereira, Halkett and Stendel's kamikaze tactics were far more to blame than Berra.

5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Rightly dropped?

Pereira, Halkett and Stendel's kamikaze tactics were far more to blame than Berra.

Correct . Don't think Stendel treated Berra correctly , nothing to do with being dropped .

Berra was interviewed and responded honestly . The guy was obviously hurt by what happened .

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Rightly dropped?

Yeah nothing to do Berra, or Levein or Budge. Just Stendel and his crazy tactics that he used in his 15 games as manager, that work for lots of top teams like the two last CL winners, had had us 8th in the form table. 
It’s widely accepted that Berra hasn’t been the same since his injury, he and the rest of the defence cost us points. Playing ok against a Greenock ****ing Morton that barely got out their own half and didn’t pressurise him doesn’t change that, anyone thinking he can go up against the diving heid and not get ripped apart is delusional. The guy is finished at the  top level. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Correct . Don't think Stendel treated Berra correctly , nothing to do with being dropped .

Berra was interviewed and responded honestly . The guy was obviously hurt by what happened .

He didn’t have to be interviewed or say anything on the topic. He would’ve been disciplined for it at a properly run or club any workplace for that matter. 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 hours ago, Rods said:

Yeah, looking back to his old self. A lot of his hoofs were even good passes. Thank christ, because the Popescu and Halkett combo wasn't looking too convincing.

I'd have Berra over Popescu, however he still doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd love for him to even be 75% of the player he was before his injury. Maybe a season at this level will help.

He was, however, correctly dropped last season.

I would love to see him on the 20th hoisting that cup over his head. Another Jambo getting to live the dream.

22 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He didn’t have to be interviewed or say anything on the topic. He would’ve been disciplined for it at a properly run or club any workplace for that matter. 

Think all of the above is nonsense

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Think all of the above is nonsense

Yeah, you go to the media and criticise your bosses and their decisions and see how that goes 😂
Was he forced to talk the BBC reporter? Was he pinned down and interrogated? Every single day you will see people refuse to either be interviewed or answer a certain question. 
“I just got married”, nae luck, a double whammy if there ever was one 😂

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah, you go to the media and criticise your bosses and their decisions and see how that goes 😂
Was he forced to talk the BBC reporter? Was he pinned down and interrogated? Every single day you will see people refuse to either be interviewed or answer a certain question. 
“I just got married”, nae luck, a double whammy if there ever was one 😂

Last sentence is not nonsense

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, john thomas said:

Last sentence is not nonsense

So the rest is?
Do you actually think you could publicly attack a decision made by your boss that is for the good of the business and there would be no consequences for that 😆
He didn’t need to do the interview, fact. Made an arse of himself, fact. 
You just keep saying it’s nonsense with no proof or to back that up 👍🏽

23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah nothing to do Berra, or Levein or Budge. Just Stendel and his crazy tactics that he used in his 15 games as manager, that work for lots of top teams like the two last CL winners, had had us 8th in the form table. 
It’s widely accepted that Berra hasn’t been the same since his injury, he and the rest of the defence cost us points. Playing ok against a Greenock ****ing Morton that barely got out their own half and didn’t pressurise him doesn’t change that, anyone thinking he can go up against the diving heid and not get ripped apart is delusional. The guy is finished at the  top level. 

Agree on one or two points.  

You’d expect him to deal with a less punishing league like the Championship with any balls on top of him. His strength is in the air and reading the game.  

He’s not got the same level or amount of mobile players to deal with as in the SPL.  Not just upfront but the knock on effect from better midfields which dictate the movement ahead.  

I think he’s conscious of the criticism aimed at him about his ability on the ball. It’s clear you can see him taking extra care sorting his feet just now to get control of the ball and be more thorough. 

You won’t get that extra second in the spl.  It needs to be more natural and in an instant.  

Edited by Debut 4

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree on one or two points.  

You’d expect him to deal with a less punishing league like the Championship with any balls on top of him. His strength is in the air and reading the game.  

He’s not got the same level or amount of mobile players to deal with as in the SPL.  Not just upfront but the knock on effect from better midfields which dictate the movement ahead.  

I think he’s conscious of the criticism aimed at him about his ability on the ball. It’s clear you can see him taking extra care sorting his feet just now to get control of the ball and be more thorough. 

You won’t get that extra second in the spl.  It needs to be more natural and in an instant.  

He’s not been under any pressure yet , the time he takes to get his feet sorted and play a slow pass to Kingsley let’s the opposition get back behind the ball. 
As Popescu is so bad he is likely to play in the final and as you say he won’t get any time on the ball. 
He probably has another two years or more at this level but under no circumstances should he be given another contract. 

The Apprentice

I don't think anyone can get away from the fact that it was the correct decision to drop Berra last season (whether people agree with the 'treatment' of him that's another matter), but its good to see him getting some sort of form back regardless of the opposition he's up against. He's been a fantastic servant to the club and I would love to see him lift the SC trophy.

A really good point made above that its important we have a midfielder who is willing to take the ball off him though to stop the aimless punts forward. Watching him in the East Fife game a few weeks ago shelling high balls forward was painful. He never has and never will be a ball playing centre-back but at this moment in time he's in my team ahead of Popescu.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

I don't think anyone can get away from the fact that it was the correct decision to drop Berra last season (whether people agree with the 'treatment' of him that's another matter), but its good to see him getting some sort of form back regardless of the opposition he's up against. He's been a fantastic servant to the club and I would love to see him lift the SC trophy.

A really good point made above that its important we have a midfielder who is willing to take the ball off him though to stop the aimless punts forward. Watching him in the East Fife game a few weeks ago shelling high balls forward was painful. He never has and never will be a ball playing centre-back but at this moment in time he's in my team ahead of Popescu.

Agreed, but he also used to ignore midfielders who offered to take the ball off him in the past and just shell it. They stopped offering themselves as they realised it was pointless. The management made no attempt to stop this happening. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So the rest is?
Do you actually think you could publicly attack a decision made by your boss that is for the good of the business and there would be no consequences for that 😆
He didn’t need to do the interview, fact. Made an arse of himself, fact. 
You just keep saying it’s nonsense with no proof or to back that up 👍🏽

What 'proof' would be needed to confirm what I think ?

Berra was hurt at the way he was treated by a club he , obviously , cares for . He was interviewed and said what he thought . Did no damage to the club .

He was , in my opinion , badly treated . DS was only just in the door and , perhaps , with hindsight , would have done things differently .

So , apart from your comment about marriage , I continue to say nonsense

18 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Agreed, he deserved to be dropped last season as he was making major mistakes every game. 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, john thomas said:

What 'proof' would be needed to confirm what I think ?

Berra was hurt at the way he was treated by a club he , obviously , cares for . He was interviewed and said what he thought . Did no damage to the club .

He was , in my opinion , badly treated . DS was only just in the door and , perhaps , with hindsight , would have done things differently .

So , apart from your comment about marriage , I continue to say nonsense

DS didn’t take long to realise Berra was done at that level. The derby showed that where Boyle was gifted two easy goals. A quick look through any of the other games where he made mistakes would confirm this. 
I didn’t say it did any damage, just that you can’t get publicly criticise your employer in the real world and expect there not to be consequences, illegal or not. 
It did no harm as most realised it was the emotional response to being told to train with the youths and find another club. 
It may well have been better to do it differently, it could be the way it’s done in Germany as a less emotional more matter of fact part of the game. Whelan also complained that nobody from the club got in touch, a break down in communication perhaps with the ridiculous situation where the old manager was still there but only in the afternoon and Macphee was to work from home.  
Stendel certainly shook things up, which was required and being popular with everyone wasn’t the way to get a reaction.

Berra might’ve been better to keep his views to himself and get his head down and work hard. He’s still moaning to the press about the criticism his performances merited. 

30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

DS didn’t take long to realise Berra was done at that level. The derby showed that where Boyle was gifted two easy goals. A quick look through any of the other games where he made mistakes would confirm this. 
I didn’t say it did any damage, just that you can’t get publicly criticise your employer in the real world and expect there not to be consequences, illegal or not. 
It did no harm as most realised it was the emotional response to being told to train with the youths and find another club. 
It may well have been better to do it differently, it could be the way it’s done in Germany as a less emotional more matter of fact part of the game. Whelan also complained that nobody from the club got in touch, a break down in communication perhaps with the ridiculous situation where the old manager was still there but only in the afternoon and Macphee was to work from home.  
Stendel certainly shook things up, which was required and being popular with everyone wasn’t the way to get a reaction.

Berra might’ve been better to keep his views to himself and get his head down and work hard. He’s still moaning to the press about the criticism his performances merited. 

Not going to watch Hibs goals again , if you don't mind . I would say that Boyle will catch out even decent defences .

Don't think Berra was anything like the main defensive problem at the time

Not sure what consequences , apart from some fans criticism , you are referring to ? The highlighted sentence rather agrees with what I've been saying

Not really criticising Stendel , probably slight cultural differences

The Treasurer

If I had to choose one player currently at the club to put himself on the line for the team it would be Berra.

Would run through a brick wall to get to the ball.

It's also clear that he's making a real effort to pass the ball rather than hoof it. It's not his fault that the lazy fookers in front of him don't make themselves available for the ball.

As has been pointed out, every defender at the club will benefit from knowing they have a real top class keeper behind them

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Not going to watch Hibs goals again , if you don't mind . I would say that Boyle will catch out even decent defences .

Don't think Berra was anything like the main defensive problem at the time

Not sure what consequences , apart from some fans criticism , you are referring to ? The highlighted sentence rather agrees with what I've been saying

Not really criticising Stendel , probably slight cultural differences

He was the main problem at CH, not that Halkett was any better. The GK was a huge problem. Boyle doesn’t catch out that many teams or he would play up front more often and has just scored his first in 15 matches when they’re flying apparently. He was  played up front that day directly against Berra to exploit his shortcomings. 
Once again for those at the back I didn’t say it caused the club harm. As for consequences, go and criticise your boss and the company you work for to the media for making a perfectly acceptable decision that happens at every other of that type of business and see what happens. If you weren’t Instantly dismissed you would be severely reprimanded for doing so depending on your contract situation. Can you imagine an old firm player, or any big club giving you another chance, unless your Messi for instance. 

42 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

If I had to choose one player currently at the club to put himself on the line for the team it would be Berra.

Would run through a brick wall to get to the ball.

It's also clear that he's making a real effort to pass the ball rather than hoof it. It's not his fault that the lazy fookers in front of him don't make themselves available for the ball.

As has been pointed out, every defender at the club will benefit from knowing they have a real top class keeper behind them

I'd go along with a lot of this.

Whatever Berra's shortcomings, there's no reason why he shouldn't be good enough to get Hearts out of the 2nd tier of Scottish football. My only concern is the idea that Berra is now being asked to pass the ball : Berra has never been able to pass a ball in his life. But he's vastly experienced and he's a leader and we need someone big enough on the pitch to tell Naismith when to shut his gob and do his own job for a change. 

29 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was the main problem at CH, not that Halkett was any better. The GK was a huge problem. Boyle doesn’t catch out that many teams or he would play up front more often and has just scored his first in 15 matches when they’re flying apparently. He was  played up front that day directly against Berra to exploit his shortcomings. 
Once again for those at the back I didn’t say it caused the club harm. As for consequences, go and criticise your boss and the company you work for to the media for making a perfectly acceptable decision that happens at every other of that type of business and see what happens. If you weren’t Instantly dismissed you would be severely reprimanded for doing so depending on your contract situation. Can you imagine an old firm player, or any big club giving you another chance, unless your Messi for instance. 

Haven't watched Boyle recently but very few CHs can deal with his pace [and ability] . Main defensive problems came from goalie [+ some of DS's tactics] , centre halves were left exposed .

You do , again , mention consequences . Not sure why .

He was poorly treated and spoke publicly about it . Wouldn't be shocked if AB had a conversation with him , and possibly , DS afterwards . In my opinion the correct way to deal with this situation

Pretty sure many players [OF and big club] have spoken out in the past and got another chance

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

He is a good option for now, but he is very limited. He's slow and teams can leave him when he's got the ball. At any decent level, he's a liability. Still think Popescu could come good.

Guest ToqueJambo

I do worry about central defence for the cup final. It's probably Robbie's main decision. I almost want us to play Smith and Haring in there, but Halkett and Berra is probably the better pairing right now unless Popescu gets a run out and shows up well against QoS. Hopefully it's a crappy December day weather-wise.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Haven't watched Boyle recently but very few CHs can deal with his pace [and ability] . Main defensive problems came from goalie [+ some of DS's tactics] , centre halves were left exposed .

You do , again , mention consequences . Not sure why .

He was poorly treated and spoke publicly about it . Wouldn't be shocked if AB had a conversation with him , and possibly , DS afterwards . In my opinion the correct way to deal with this situation

Pretty sure many players [OF and big club] have spoken out in the past and got another chance

DS only played him 3 times so I don’t think his tactics can be blamed for the mistakes he made in the rest of the season, costly errors that nearly everyone else on these last two pages agree that h needed to be dropped for. Did you support Levein and want him to stay, and no be replaced by that nasty German man who wasn’t prepared to allow us to train a few hours a week and not accept it was their fault we were bottom of the league? 
You do just like to contradict stuff without any proof, Martin Boyle is rarely played as a striker, that was his natural position and his statistics prove he’s not very good there. That’s why he plays on the wing for Hibs and had to go to Australia to get capped. Having said all that Berra with his 600 odd games in all these divisions and international caps made him look like Ronaldo and was rightly dropped . 
Show me proof of any player at a properly run big club that has criticised its correct decisions and is still there? 
If not don’t reply because I’m sick of repeating myself as you clearly can’t get a grasp of the points I’m making. 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'd go along with a lot of this.

Whatever Berra's shortcomings, there's no reason why he shouldn't be good enough to get Hearts out of the 2nd tier of Scottish football. My only concern is the idea that Berra is now being asked to pass the ball : Berra has never been able to pass a ball in his life. But he's vastly experienced and he's a leader and we need someone big enough on the pitch to tell Naismith when to shut his gob and do his own job for a change. 

Sorry but he’s not opened his mouth for years, he’s certainly not telling Naismith anything when he’s ambling about like Bambi on ice trying to play a ten yard pass. He reminds of the manager when Burley had him trying to play passes along the ground up the line, contorting his body to pass the ball with his instep. Unfortunately if our players didn’t need to be constantly told what to do Naismith might be able to concentrate on his own game more. There was only one voice you could hear on Saturday and it wasn’t Berra. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

DS only played him 3 times so I don’t think his tactics can be blamed for the mistakes he made in the rest of the season, costly errors that nearly everyone else on these last two pages agree that h needed to be dropped for. Did you support Levein and want him to stay, and no be replaced by that nasty German man who wasn’t prepared to allow us to train a few hours a week and not accept it was their fault we were bottom of the league? 
You do just like to contradict stuff without any proof, Martin Boyle is rarely played as a striker, that was his natural position and his statistics prove he’s not very good there. That’s why he plays on the wing for Hibs and had to go to Australia to get capped. Having said all that Berra with his 600 odd games in all these divisions and international caps made him look like Ronaldo and was rightly dropped . 
Show me proof of any player at a properly run big club that has criticised its correct decisions and is still there? 
If not don’t reply because I’m sick of repeating myself as you clearly can’t get a grasp of the points I’m making. 

Not blaming DS for all the costly errors . Not blaming Berra either .

'nearly everyone else' on here ?! Hope that is not your benchmark . Stupid assumption re CL and DS . I wish we had got the 'nasty German' [ffs] at a different time . Really liked him but some of his tactics just didn't work .

You think Boyle never cuts inside and beats CHs ?

Never said Berra was perfect , main argument was that he was badly treated [you've already admitted that] and , as a result , made some heartfelt , understandable complaints in a interview .

Prove other players have complained ? Morelos , Ronaldo , Garcia ? Loads of interviews in foreign press by players .

I , again , have answered [and grasped] most of your points . Inclined to think you just don't like my answers

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I do worry about central defence for the cup final. It's probably Robbie's main decision. I almost want us to play Smith and Haring in there, but Halkett and Berra is probably the better pairing right now unless Popescu gets a run out and shows up well against QoS. Hopefully it's a crappy December day weather-wise.

What about Halkett Berra and Kingsley as a back three, with Halliday playing left wing back where he played for Rangers quite a lot.?

Just now, merrymac said:

What about Halkett Berra and Kingsley as a back three, with Halliday playing left wing back where he played for Rangers quite a lot.?

Nope for numerous reasons

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Not blaming DS for all the costly errors . Not blaming Berra either .

'nearly everyone else' on here ?! Hope that is not your benchmark . Stupid assumption re CL and DS . I wish we had got the 'nasty German' [ffs] at a different time . Really liked him but some of his tactics just didn't work .

You think Boyle never cuts inside and beats CHs ?

Never said Berra was perfect , main argument was that he was badly treated [you've already admitted that] and , as a result , made some heartfelt , understandable complaints in a interview .

Prove other players have complained ? Morelos , Ronaldo , Garcia ? Loads of interviews in foreign press by players .

I , again , have answered [and grasped] most of your points . Inclined to think you just don't like my answers

I don’t like your answers because they are nonsense, Boyle NEVER cuts Inside on to his left foot because it’s awful. He’s a one trick pony that is easy nullified if you can stop him getting space outside, it’s why he’s still at Hibs. Once again having to repeat myself. 
Show me one article where Morelos has actually criticised Rangers or the manager? Who’s Garcia? Again as I said and you obviously missed unless you’re Messi which kind of takes Ronaldo into that group. 
So everyone is wrong on this thread that Berra made lots of mistakes and was deservedly dropped from the team? As for his greeting to the press what an embarrassment, PHM that would run through brick walls 😂😭😢
I saw you disputed the press claim on another thread where Neilson said they’d just offered Irving a contract extension, you seem incapable of accepting any others persons point of view. Not sure why you think he would lie about it. 
Anyway no proof as usual with your point of view, nothing to back it up. 

On 06/12/2020 at 08:43, moonraker said:

I thought he was one of our best players against them in last years final

Not sure about that. Actually stood on Zlamal at the pen and didn’t deal with the header to Edouard for their winner.

Still probably put him in before Popescu or as a sweeper behind him and Halkett.

His aerial power is an asset at both ends

On 06/12/2020 at 02:50, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Craig Gordon has been the biggest signing this season. No defender worries now about what is going on behind them.

Correct 👍

12 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

I'd have Berra over Popescu, however he still doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd love for him to even be 75% of the player he was before his injury. Maybe a season at this level will help.

I would love to see him on the 20th hoisting that cup over his head. Another Jambo getting to live the dream.

He's already hoisted the cup in 2006.

13 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

Abslutely. Agree on all of the above.