Berra......

Section Q

No extension, his time at the club in a playing capacity has ended. He has been a great servant for the club , and was treated poorly when he was put out on loan, it could have been handled differently by the management team.

If he has the desire to keep playing , then I am sure he will get offers

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Herbert.

• A_A wehatethehibs

Sadly, we will have to move on. We're pretty frail defensively as it is, so Berra is only going to fall down the pecking order, and out of respect, if nothing else, it wouldn't be fair to keep him at the club.

Not only that, but he's on a hefty wage too I assume. Makes sense for all parties to move on in summer.

Anyone slagging him though can GTF.

He’ll help us gain promotion then if he wants to keep playing he’ll need to take a step down. Everyone knows he’s not the player he used to be, no need for folk to be arseholes about it. 

5 minutes ago, DS98 said:

He’ll help us gain promotion then if he wants to keep playing he’ll need to take a step down. Everyone knows he’s not the player he used to be, no need for folk to be arseholes about it. 

personally think it was a reasonable question, same one that would have been asked of any out of contract player's

Edited by steve123

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I wouldn't be in a rush to retain any of our centre backs. 

Poor Soapy just hasn't had any luck with his heels, Berra is ready for retirement whether he admits it or not, Halkett has never commanded and Popescu is no better than a stand in

12 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You didn’t mate. There’s a lot of over-sensitive fans , over-protective of everything Hearts. 

CB is like any player there has ever been that there comes a time the body can’t cope at the highest level, no matter how hard in his own mind he thinks he can still hack it.

He’s been a player I’ve loved having in maroon in both his spells. Great competitor, intelligent , brave defender.  But I think it’s time for big decisions without sentiment. Something we took too long to do in recent times on other issues. We need strong leadership and strong decisions for the better of the team.

cheers was a genuine question, did not expect some of the responses 😂

quockerwodgerjambo
6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Under no circumstances in my opinion. Been a fine servant but no room or finance for sentiment 

His experience is worth a one year deal, having him in the squad helping develop players. Encourage him to stay and pass on his leadership qualities. I agree that he can be offloaded, not so much a loyalty stroke though.

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

David Haye stubbed his toe at Tynecastle. 

Yeah he was at the Festival concert 😆

1 hour ago, steve123 said:

Interesting one here out of contract at the end of the season but been captain for a couple of games this season, do we offer a new contract or move on ?

Jimmy Dunne wasn't in the Burnley squad tonight at Anfield, out of favour maybe or injured. Great young no. 5....

Pasquale for King
Just now, Section Q said:

Jimmy Dunne wasn't in the Burnley squad tonight at Anfield, out of favour maybe or injured. Great young no. 5....

I think he will have better offers unfortunately but I think most of us would welcome his return. 

I like Berra, he's done well for for us, but he's also a massive part of the reason we are where we are. He isn't playing well now, in the championship. He isn't organising the defence well. He isn't reading the game well. It's sad but he's finished.

39 minutes ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

His experience is worth a one year deal, having him in the squad helping develop players. Encourage him to stay and pass on his leadership qualities. I agree that he can be offloaded, not so much a loyalty stroke though.

Taking up a wage we could use elsewhere. Clean break or coaching only. If he wants to continue playing then it should be elsewhere 

quockerwodgerjambo
26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Taking up a wage we could use elsewhere. Clean break or coaching only. If he wants to continue playing then it should be elsewhere 

I would go with that pretty much how i was thinking, playing out his career with us and going into coaching. I would be surprised if he wasn't up to a decent standard with coaching badges already, good post.

He’s never been mentioned in anything I’ve read re contract renewal etc, so I assume all parties have accepted that this season is his last with the club. I think that’s the correct decision that he goes whilst he is still held in fairly high regard. He’s been a really good player for us at times. Hasn’t quite ticked the ‘legend’ box for me and I didn’t like his public response when Stendel didn’t fancy him but certainly overall he’s earned respect and gratitude.

Bazzas right boot

Great servant for us, and anyone slagging him or playing down his injury is is a crusty ring piece. 

However, he's not good enough to be one of our 3 first team centre half's next season. 

I'd have no problem if he resigned on reduced terms and was 4th or 5th choice, but I'd prefer a youngster to be filling these types of position if possible. 

1 hour ago, quockerwodgerjambo said:

I think his chance of being offered a contract are zero, and last year when leadership was needed more than ever Berra didn't seem to offer much.

Unlike some, Berra's effort has never been in question, but it's time to thank him for his service over 2 spells at the club and wish him well for the future.

jamboinglasgow

He has been a great servant to the club but I think not renewing his contract is the right option. If he is good enough for the backroom staff then I would happily have him stay, though I do get the sense he is not ready to retire yet.

We need better, but I’d still keep him provided the deal is right for the club. 

left sided centrehalves don’t grow on trees and Popescu hasn’t been an improvement. 

sign Stuart Findlay or another in the summer and let Berra be back up. Useful in a pinch and shouldn’t be difficult to deal with. 

ooh-aah-cantona

He'll sign for Dunfermline to play alongside his mate Paul Watson and replace Euan Murray, who will likely sign for an SPFL side like Motherwell or St Johnstone.

Pasquale for King
On 07/01/2021 at 14:24, wavydavy said:

I agrre with your summary and would add.

Part of the problem for Berra is that he is playing alongside Halkett who was used to playing in a back three where he was the spare man at Livi. The other two were the real CB's. Guthrie is one of them and out of contract at the end of the season. WE could do worse than try and sign him.

Well said, he looks much more comfortable in a three. His lack of pace and poor decision making is shown up in a flat back four. 

Pasquale for King

I wonder if Neilson will want Berra to join the coaching team in the summer? 
I think Berra could play for another couple of years at this level and he would regret hanging up his boots early. 

Pasquale for King
On 07/01/2021 at 13:35, A_A wehatethehibs said:

For the new management coming in, What was the alternative, send him on loan somewhere with Hearts picking up 75% of his wages and getting nothing in return? Last year of his deal so, I say we’re taking the right approach. He can work hard, earn his wages and go out on his shield at the end of this season with a piece of minor silverware to at least have a good memory of the end of his time in maroon. 

If he gets a contract extension for next season that would be bad management. That would go beyond bad management actually. There would be absolute uproar in the fans. I refuse to believe it would even be considered, to be honest Neilson should be saying to him now, he’s free to talk to other clubs go and sign a pre

contract somewhere if he wants to keep playing. That way the fans will settle knowing for sure that he is not in any way part of the plans, just a stop gap to get us out the championship. 

We had other pressing areas to be fixed before Neilson realised he needed someone like Popescu with Souttar and Berra injured, Hamilton not up to it leaving him Halkett who isn’t great either. 

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He has been a great servant to the club but I think not renewing his contract is the right option. If he is good enough for the backroom staff then I would happily have him stay, though I do get the sense he is not ready to retire yet.

He’s definitely got a few years left at this level. 

quockerwodgerjambo
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

I think his chance of being offered a contract are zero, and last year when leadership was needed more than ever Berra didn't seem to offer much.

Unlike some, Berra's effort has never been in question, but it's time to thank him for his service over 2 spells at the club and wish him well for the future.

Interesting, Maybe Berra didn't see himself as a captain in the first place, That is down to others. I agree in the most part, as i said it will be a difficult decision either way.

Edited by quockerwodgerjambo

best in the land

Time up at hearts for Berra for me, him and popescu need to go and be replaced by 2 more. Needs to be priority in summer. 

If we could get one in now that would be better but can't see it. 

Also have doubts about souttar tbh. 

5 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He's a really decent guy and he loves the club, He'll be part of the team that gets us back up then it's over. He knows it himself.

Its unlikely as this is JKB but can we keep this thread respectful. He's been a good servant to the club and despite the recent mistakes he still gives his all for Hearts.

Well said

Holyrood_Hearts

He shouldn’t get a new player contract. I’d have no problem if he was kept on in a coaching capacity if that’s something he’s looking to do & we have a role for him? 

9 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

At least Roberts can change direction 

Can he yeah. He is never near enough to the ball to say I’ve noticed to be honest. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Out on his shield at the end of this season for me. Not the medal he’d hoped for but at least rolled the sleeves up and helped get the job done in his last season. I just don’t think he can take us where we need to go. 

But I definitely have that sinking feeling that the management team will give him one more year. In fairness is not easy to find a guy with 40 odd caps and hundreds of games at the highest levels of British football. But IMO this decision shouldn’t be about CVs

Ainsley Harriott
7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wonder if Neilson will want Berra to join the coaching team in the summer? 
I think Berra could play for another couple of years at this level and he would regret hanging up his boots early. 

I wouldnt particularly say hes up to playing this level now never mind a couple more years.

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

I wouldnt particularly say hes up to playing this level now never mind a couple more years.

Correct. Mr Magoo can see that. We are woefully short in this position unfortunately. Berra can still header and hassle but simply is an absolute cart horse when it comes to needing any mobility & awareness. Very sad to see and he needs to make that decision himself tbh.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, OTT said:

We need better, but I’d still keep him provided the deal is right for the club. 

left sided centrehalves don’t grow on trees and Popescu hasn’t been an improvement. 

sign Stuart Findlay or another in the summer and let Berra be back up. Useful in a pinch and shouldn’t be difficult to deal with. 

I'm here, we'll need 3 first choice centre halves and 1 or 2 that are happy to fill in should there be a crisis. 

We are short on young centre halves so if the deal is OK then Berra could fill that role, probably more sensible if he's looking at coaching as well, it could be his transition. 

pettigrewsstylist

Our CBs have been a problem for a while now. We need 2 new CB before going anywhere near the bottom 6 of the Premeirship, IMO. 

Being decent but injury prone is unfortunate, but wont satisfy our ambition.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm here, we'll need 3 first choice centre halves and 1 or 2 that are happy to fill in should there be a crisis. 

We are short on young centre halves so if the deal is OK then Berra could fill that role, probably more sensible if he's looking at coaching as well, it could be his transition. 

For me if he wants to keep playing, Dunfermline is the best shout. Would be good to see them back in the Premier and I think Christophe would prove very handy in a relegation scrap. Certainly feel he would have been handy in our own scrap, Stendel had bit off more than he could chew when he was left with Dikamona-Halkett as the only option. There was no way we were staying up with that at Center half. 

For Hearts, going forward, just feel Berra is not what we need. I really can’t see it justified, but as I’ve said I think the management team will give him another year. Really hope they don’t end up regretting it. For me the new Premiership Center half pairing is the make or break decision for Neilson. He has to get it right it’s got to be the highest priority. My feeling is we really need freshness there the fans have seen enough of Halkett Souttar, Berra we need a good signing who will make a big impact. 

11 hours ago, steve123 said:

personally think it was a reasonable question, same one that would have been asked of any out of contract player's

Of course it’s a reasonable question. Some of the reply’s have been typically dickhead-ish though. Usual culprits to be fair.

We need better for the top league. Having witnessed some of the defending in The Championship he would have no bother getting a club if that's what he wants.  

Ex member of the SaS

Said before Berra deserves our respect and gratitude, however, he must know himself after being punted on loan he is no longer capable of playing top flight. He can move on with our best wishes, but unless he goes into a training position, he should not be given another contract.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Fair point. I think he would be ok for a team with lower expectations that defend on their 18 yard line or in a three.

9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Well said, he looks much more comfortable in a three. His lack of pace and poor decision making is shown up in a flat back four. 

I remember seeing him play for Livi at Tynecastle against us and he was probably their man of the match and made loads of runs forward and was able to do this because he had two other CB's there.

This is where Managers should be earning their corn by seeing the best position for their players and playing them there rather than saying this is where I want you to play even although you are not that great there.

I really think Robbie should be looking to sign at least one decent CB asap and get them bedded in before next season.

I can't see Berra and Halkett cutting it next season assuming we are promoted. Popescu might improve but he looks another prone to making mistakes.

I know we are expecting Souttar to be fit for next season but how long is he going to stay fit for this time?

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I remember seeing him play for Livi at Tynecastle against us and he was probably their man of the match and made loads of runs forward and was able to do this because he had two other CB's there.

This is where Managers should be earning their corn by seeing the best position for their players and playing them there rather than saying this is where I want you to play even although you are not that great there.

I really think Robbie should be looking to sign at least one decent CB asap and get them bedded in before next season.

I can't see Berra and Halkett cutting it next season assuming we are promoted. Popescu might improve but he looks another prone to making mistakes.

I know we are expecting Souttar to be fit for next season but how long is he going to stay fit for this time?

He should never have been signed to play in a back four. 
We can’t rely on Souttar it’s as simple as that. 
Popescu was described by fans as the worst player his old club had ever seen, in a league comparable in quality if not less so than the one we are going into. 
We need two new CHs with Halkett/Popescu and Souttar as back ups, if we can’t get rid of the first two that is. Berra should be allowed to leave to keep playing at this level or lower. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He should never have been signed to play in a back four. 
We can’t rely on Souttar it’s as simple as that. 
Popescu was described by fans as the worst player his old club had ever seen, in a league comparable in quality if not less so than the one we are going into. 
We need two new CHs with Halkett/Popescu and Souttar as back ups, if we can’t get rid of the first two that is. Berra should be allowed to leave to keep playing at this level or lower. 

I am not sure if we have any young guys that are progressing enough to be considered to break into the first team reckoning.

The likes of FottballFirst will probably know but I am not aware of anyone.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I am not sure if we have any young guys that are progressing enough to be considered to break into the first team reckoning.

The likes of FottballFirst will probably know but I am not aware of anyone.

We don’t have anyone at the level required, they’re not playing much this season either so it’s hard for them to progress. 

Nucky Thompson
10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s definitely got a few years left at this level. 

I think he's playing above his level and should have been put out to pasture last year.

No room for sentiment nowadays 

Whether or not Berra stays is IMO a 2 way street.

He will realise that he is unlikely to be a permanent 1st team fixture next season and may choose to further his career elsewhere.  If he would like to stay that could be dependent on several factors the first of which is likely to be Soapy.  If the latter is likely to be fit for August and we sign at least one CD then I think it would be wise for CB and the club to part ways (unless he is kept on in some sort of coaching role).  If however Soapy is unlikely to be fully fit until say Christmas, it might be cost effective to give CB an extension as experienced cover.  He is still our best defender when it comes to aerial challenges and possibly a better option than Popescue, certainly no worse.

His performances of late have nor been up to his previous standards and people auromatically assume it's because he is over the hill when it could simply be a temporary loss of form/confidence: the coaching staff will know.  I could name a few others who have been terrible and are a lot younger than Berra.

To sum up I don't think we need to be making decisions right now but fully recognise that around May time we need to assess where we're at but meantime would look to get in a loanee to ensure we get over the promotion line.

A_A wehatethehibs

Cannot get back in the team after that last night.

He should have watched how comfortable Popescu was, and be considering his retirement. Christophe has nothing to prove, absolutely terrific career. Played for Scotland at Wembley, and Hampden. 

But when you’re at a stage when the likes of Popescu looks considerably better than you, it is time to hang up the boots. At least at Hearts anyway, I’m sure he could keep playing a few years for a smaller club if he fancies it.

Halkett-Popescu is first choice now unquestionably. If Neilson plays Berra again the fans will see right through it - it would just be because they’re mates. The best interests of our football team is now for Christophe to be on the bench if fit. 

Jambo in Bathgate
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Halkett and Popescu looked far more comfortable with each other swapping sides. 

Thought they had there best games last night. Marshalled Duku well when Raith did attack. Both good on the ball. Certainly helped swapping positions. Have to keep that pairing.