Marius Žaliūkas R.I.P.

Notorious BIG

Diadora Van Basten

I think we need to do a tribute now that minutes silence is not possible (for fans anyway).

I think the most obvious thing would be to commission a Zal banner for Tynecastle and Hampden. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think we need to make sure we look after his family first. Players should all be wearing Zaliukas 26 strips for the warm-up at the final. They should be worn again when we go up to receive the trophy. They could then be auctioned. 

I agree, we could set up a separate fund for the family.  

loveofthegame
12 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Come in No26, your time is up. 

Sleep well brer Zal. x

:(

would be a fitting and worthy tribute for a Hearts legend 

Never Let Them Forget

Really can’t get my head round it. Gutted is an understatement. 

I remember seeing him walking over the bridge of doom with 2 woman with his arms around both of them, he certainly was a character on and off the field.

Our club is special and he’s one of many foreign players that have a real affinity after spending time with each other and grown to love each other after a difficult start.

He will always be remembered for captaining our club to the greatest result in our biggest game in our history!

Rest in peace big fella you were our leader and will never be forgotten ❤️

29E3E7D7-38AD-4E22-884C-CAD8561DD4C2.jpeg

Commander lovemuscle

My grandson was twice mascot for Hearts v st Mirren and big zal remembered him from the first time.   

RIP, big man 

5.jpg

I second all the ideas above.

A trust fund for his wee one, to pay for Uni/etc & any other costs if the family are struggling.

A massive Zaliukas banner for Hampden & Tynie.

Donations to MND Scotland.

Zal strips to be worn during the warm up & auctioned.

When the banner is designed, we should also pay for it to be projected onto the Castle Rock the night before the final. 

It’s absolutely gutting that we can’t celebrate his life & contribution to the club at Tynecastle.

I have been reading this thread and greeting my eyes out.  I had a close friend in Norway who died from MND at a young age leaving 4 kids.  I should be very happy today but instead I am so sad hearing the news.

I am still in shock that he's gone! I mean....36!? I didn't even know he was ill. In fact he sort of went off my radar after he left Rangers, didn't know where he was, I just assumed he was retired from playing and living back in Lithuania. Such a shame that this has happened. Gutted isn't a strong enough word. 

R.I.P. Marius.

loveofthegame
19 minutes ago, BigC said:

I second all the ideas above.

A trust fund for his wee one, to pay for Uni/etc & any other costs if the family are struggling.

A massive Zaliukas banner for Hampden & Tynie.

Donations to MND Scotland.

Zal strips to be worn during the warm up & auctioned.

When the banner is designed, we should also pay for it to be projected onto the Castle Rock the night before the final. 

It’s absolutely gutting that we can’t celebrate his life & contribution to the club at Tynecastle.

Rest assured that we will mate. Not as soon as any of us would like, but I 100% guarantee we will.

If raising money is the plan, I’d rather see it go to support his family.

perhaps the club can launch a crowdfunder (or JKB or one of the 2012 players). At a later date when fans are back, a friendly could be organised with the proceeds going to the most appropriate charity.

Also think retiring his number and renaming a stand after the big guy could be considered. An absolute hero that captained us to the best game in our clubs history. The Marius Zaliukas Family Stand sounds like a beautiful tribute to the guy. 

6 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I have been reading this thread and greeting my eyes out.  I had a close friend in Norway who died from MND at a young age leaving 4 kids.  I should be very happy today but instead I am so sad hearing the news.

It’s just a completely numbing feeling at the moment. Surreal doesn’t even describe it. Horrible horrible insidious disease. Thoughts with u and in respect of ur friend as well. 

I still have the pictures going through my head of Ricksen, and just can’t imagine big Zal like that. For obvious reasons his family didn’t advertise the fact. It’s just like a sledgehammer to the face. 

We don’t need a team talk for the final this year. Just pictures covering the dressing room wall of the big man lifting the cup from all angles in the dressing room before the game. and his name and No26 jersey hanging from a peg on the wall

That’s every bit of inspiration that should be required. Absolutely gutted 😓

a safe pair of sells

I'm convinced he was helping the team out there last night, influencing things like some sort of Jedi Jambo Force Ghost!

I'm not spiritual, but I want to believe he was out there kicking, heading & saving everything!

Thanks for some happy times Zal!

Ex member of the SaS

Such mixed emotions, on a high after getting through while feeling so sad about big Zal. We should be dedicating the win to his memory or better still dedicate the cup win to him.

From the boardroom to the stands, everyone connected with the Heart of Midlothian Football Club was shocked and saddened to learn that Marius Žaliūkas had passed away, eleven days before his thirty-seventh birthday, after a brave struggle against motor neurone disease.

During his time in the capital, this engaging young man was a fine player, extremely popular with his team-mates and a great favorite with the supporters. Accordingly, he will long be remembered at Tynecastle Park.

Marius was born on 10 November 1983 at Kursenai in Lithuania and with physical presence and positional skills, he was an outstanding central defender who became Hearts’ captain in August 2010. In addition, the towering Lithuanian was a regular International player, gaining 25 caps for his homeland between 2006 and 2016.

Marius came to Edinburgh in August 2006, initially on loan from Kaunas FBK, where he twice won the Lithuanian League Championship (2004 and 2006) and was twice on the winning side in the Lithuanian Cup Final (2004 and 2005). He played regularly in European competitions and the 6’2” defender also had previous experience with two other clubs in Lithuania, FK Inkaras Kaunas and FK Silute.

Marius played a big part in Hearts claiming third place in the SPL in 2008-09 and fully merited his 18-month loan extension, despite being sent-off four times. Marius was, in fact, appointed vice-captain for 2009-10, although he was badly missed during the first half of that season, due to ankle and hamstring injuries.

Manager, Jim Jefferies, promoted the big stopper to captain the following season and when his contract with Kaunas FBK expired, Marius was signed on a permanent basis, from November 2010 until the summer of 2013. He led Hearts to third place in the SPL in 2010-11 and, of course, Marius famously captained Hearts to a 5-1 victory over Hibernian in the Scottish Cup Final of 2012.  

Due to injury and suspension, he was sorely missed in the League Cup Final against St.Mirren in March 2013, and then sadly, Marius left the club in the summer of 2013 after Hearts went into administration. After trial periods with both Rangers and Queens Park Rangers, Marius signed for Championship club, Leeds United, in October 2013. He then moved to Rangers in July 2014 and played against Hearts in the Championship Division before moving back home to Lithuania in August 2015. Marius subsequently played for Zalgiris Vilnius.   

The majestic Lithuanian defender has made more appearances for Hearts than any other overseas player, with 222 competitive games and 15 goals. His beaming smile when holding the Scottish Cup in 2012 is an iconic moment in Hearts’ history. Marius also has legendary status in Lithuania where he is regarded as an inspiration to young players who want to appear in the top leagues of Europe.

Our deepest condolences are extended to his wife Nora and family.

By David Speed

Nelly Terraces

Still struggling to take this news in. Its just brutal.

I like the idea of the team wearing Zal shirts pre the cup final (which the club should be calling Zaliukas Day) & these to be auctioned off afterwards with proceeds to his family. I'd pay good money to own one.

As a 52 year old hearts fan I have never felt so emotional, not just because he is a hearts legend, but he was only 36, when hearts scored the 1st goal yesterday, I am not embarrassed to admit that instead of celebrating I was succumb to emotion,RIP.

SectionFJambo

Think this is probably the first "celebrity" death that really has impacted me in a way beyond the usual oh that's a shame type attitude. This is a young guy that many of us will have met, seen or admired, a modern day club cult hero. To think he's died is bad enough, but of such a horrible illness and potentially in the background without most people knowing or the support he would have no doubt been afforded by the fans.

The club definitely need to do something here, personally I'd go for a cup final gesture, potentially retiring his shirt as well as raising money for the family, inviting them to be part of the club and showing exactly what Marius meant to Hearts (and hearts clearly meant to him). It's obviously such a difficult time however I hope the club make every effort to send representatives to the funeral. Are there gestures of support at tynecastle?  Fundraising should be focused on supporting Marius's family as whilst he no doubt will not have been skint he won't have been one of those footballers who could never work again. Whilst I respect the work MND etc. do it doesn't sound like Marius had much support throughout this from Scotland. I really sincerely hope that was his choice as the thought this was allowed to just happen in the background without the fans knowing would be tragic - given it was clear most of his teammates didn't know he was ill it sounds like they have chose to fight the battle privately.

RIP Zal. 

portobellojambo1

Very sad news, 36 years old is far too young for any one to pass away. I'd read something on a Lithuanian news web page yesterday afternoon and it said he failed to recover from the disease. I thought that he had contracted the coronavirus, and this was what the report was referring to, but the above post indicates it was actually MND.

Very sad, may he RIP.

Absolute shocker, he was a warrior but an absolute gent at the same time 36 years old ffs. Rest well knowing hibs still canny beat us at hampden 

RIP Big man 

Wow, this doesn't get any easier,  does it? I drove to Tynecastle right after the match last night to leave my scarf and flowers in honour of a genuine Hearts legend. But it's more than that. He was 36. 36! I've watched an uncle die from MND, who also played for Hearts, but he was an old man with a  lifetimes worth of memories that he left us with. Marius was still a young man with what should have been a long and happy time with his family still to come. I will always remember him crying as he climbed those Hampden stairs, immortality assured, but still crying with joy at what he had led his teammates to achieve. Humble. It meant as much to him as it did to us.

Sleep well MZ26. We'll never forget you.

9 minutes ago, Lambo the Jambo said:

Going to head along to Tynie to lay some flowers. Has anybody else been along yet?

I went along last night right after the game ❤💔

Big Zal contributed to one of the best weekends of my life so far!. What a man a great captain and will never be forgotten. 

R.I.P big man❤

Gordon Ramsay
48 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

From the boardroom to the stands, everyone connected with the Heart of Midlothian Football Club was shocked and saddened to learn that Marius Žaliūkas had passed away, eleven days before his thirty-seventh birthday, after a brave struggle against motor neurone disease.

During his time in the capital, this engaging young man was a fine player, extremely popular with his team-mates and a great favorite with the supporters. Accordingly, he will long be remembered at Tynecastle Park.

Marius was born on 10 November 1983 at Kursenai in Lithuania and with physical presence and positional skills, he was an outstanding central defender who became Hearts’ captain in August 2010. In addition, the towering Lithuanian was a regular International player, gaining 25 caps for his homeland between 2006 and 2016.

Marius came to Edinburgh in August 2006, initially on loan from Kaunas FBK, where he twice won the Lithuanian League Championship (2004 and 2006) and was twice on the winning side in the Lithuanian Cup Final (2004 and 2005). He played regularly in European competitions and the 6’2” defender also had previous experience with two other clubs in Lithuania, FK Inkaras Kaunas and FK Silute.

Marius played a big part in Hearts claiming third place in the SPL in 2008-09 and fully merited his 18-month loan extension, despite being sent-off four times. Marius was, in fact, appointed vice-captain for 2009-10, although he was badly missed during the first half of that season, due to ankle and hamstring injuries.

Manager, Jim Jefferies, promoted the big stopper to captain the following season and when his contract with Kaunas FBK expired, Marius was signed on a permanent basis, from November 2010 until the summer of 2013. He led Hearts to third place in the SPL in 2010-11 and, of course, Marius famously captained Hearts to a 5-1 victory over Hibernian in the Scottish Cup Final of 2012.  

Due to injury and suspension, he was sorely missed in the League Cup Final against St.Mirren in March 2013, and then sadly, Marius left the club in the summer of 2013 after Hearts went into administration. After trial periods with both Rangers and Queens Park Rangers, Marius signed for Championship club, Leeds United, in October 2013. He then moved to Rangers in July 2014 and played against Hearts in the Championship Division before moving back home to Lithuania in August 2015. Marius subsequently played for Zalgiris Vilnius.   

The majestic Lithuanian defender has made more appearances for Hearts than any other overseas player, with 222 competitive games and 15 goals. His beaming smile when holding the Scottish Cup in 2012 is an iconic moment in Hearts’ history. Marius also has legendary status in Lithuania where he is regarded as an inspiration to young players who want to appear in the top leagues of Europe.

By David Speed

Fitting words from the club. 

Very sad news and hopefully we can do something as a tribute to him for the final. 

He had his dodgy moments but he turned into a great player for us, a real warrior. Will never forget the countless photos on 5-1 weekend of him. Looked like a great guy who was having the time of his life. 

RIP Zal. 

Franksluckypants

Gutted.

Absolutely fantastic for us, with the odd entertaining moment which kept us on the edge of our seats.

Iconic 'Fozzy on the fence' moment at the wee team standing on the advertising hoarding giving it large to the home end!

A true Hearts champion!

RIP big Zal.

Edited by Franksluckypants
Correction

3 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

I agree, we could set up a separate fund for the family.  

A fund for his family would be very well supported, and not just by Hearts fans given the other clubs he played for too.

1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

A fund for his family would be very well supported, and not just by Hearts fans given the other clubs he played for too.

Yep.  Lots of Rangers and Leeds fans took to him as well, despite short, unsuccessful spells there.

21 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Fitting words from the club. 

Very sad news and hopefully we can do something as a tribute to him for the final. 

He had his dodgy moments but he turned into a great player for us, a real warrior. Will never forget the countless photos on 5-1 weekend of him. Looked like a great guy who was having the time of his life. 

RIP Zal. 

Craig Fowler put it perfectly on Twitter by saying that we forgave every bombscare because he was still a baller and the best CH in the league.

I said yesterday a benefit match v rangers, depending on the virus situation maybe get Leeds involved too. Zal didn't make a fortune from the game so maybe a fundraiser for his family will help them too.

1 hour ago, Weebroon98 said:

By David Speed

This is brutal. I was gutted enough to hear he had died but to be taken by such a horrible illness so young is just cruel.

The big man would have loved yesterday.

Can't wait to get back to Tynecastle to take the roof off the place singing his name.

In tears reading some moving tributes to him on this . I felt Michael Stewart tribute last night was very heart felt . What a tragedy to die so young . He will always be a Hearts legend and was pivotal in 2012 . Unsure how long he had MND  ? Horrible disease . Lots of good suggestions on how to honour him from fans too . I certainly think a crowd fund page for his family would be of great help . Unsure if he has a son ? But wouldn’t it be amazing to see him turn into a footballer and play for us in a few years time ? A great tribute .

Not ashamed to admit I was in tears last night after hearing this devastating news. Absolutely gutted. 

RIP Skipper. #26

Haringshairband

Still can't believe he's dead. 36 ffs, 2 years younger than me and he actually took care of himself unlike me. RIP big man.