Marius Žaliūkas R.I.P.

Notorious BIG

54 minutes ago, redm said:

We sent some flowers to add to the tribute outside the stadium on behalf of the members and admin team of JKB. We thought it might be appropriate to add some Lithuanian colours in there. Hopefully he’d approve. 

5F36A97B-F2C7-403E-8FB6-D4B673DA3468.jpeg

Photos courtesy of @Thommo_Lee on Twitter. 

AF6BD8FC-B394-4218-8E00-3F411B0A2374.jpeg

Superb gesture. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

Another traumatic aspect is (I get its through his choice) by him not going public so to speak, we never got to show him what he meant to the club and fans...maybe he thought it would be too much, in a weird way, to cope with. 

Its a head **** and a half...

William H. Bonney
19 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Another traumatic aspect is (I get its through his choice) by him not going public so to speak, we never got to show him what he meant to the club and fans...maybe he thought it would be too much, in a weird way, to cope with. 

After seeing the way Ricksen was in his last few months, I’m not sure I would have like to have witnessed zal in the same way. 
I think it’s better this way. 

12 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

I can understand why he chose to remain private. To an extent when an individual goes public with a health condition it alters your identity and how you are thought of and remembered.

Some of you may have seen this on Twitter already but I wrote up my thoughts in the blog below. In many ways Marius was the one constant amongst the chaos that was the Romanov era. He was a huge character who will quite rightly be regarded amongst the clubs greatest players.

https://granderouge.wordpress.com/2020/11/01/big-zal/

As a Lithuanian and a football fan I follow the careers of Lithuanian players who play in Europe. It’s not difficult as not many make it to the big clubs. 
I remember the sense of unfairness when in the beginning of his spell at Hearts Marius was labelled a ‘bombscare’

I always knew he was good and it’s only a matter of time before he settles in. 
It was great to see him prove all the critics wrong and rise to the job of a captain.

36 Is no age to go , he’s a few years younger than me. Feel terrible for his young family

Didn’t know Big Zal personally, but

not ashamed to admit that tears were streaming down my face whilst reading the comments and tributes from you.

R.I.P. Big Zal

13 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I can understand why he chose to remain private. To an extent when an individual goes public with a health condition it alters your identity and how you are thought of and remembered.

Some of you may have seen this on Twitter already but I wrote up my thoughts in the blog below. In many ways Marius was the one constant amongst the chaos that was the Romanov era. He was a huge character who will quite rightly be regarded amongst the clubs greatest players.

Nice words Martin, enjoyed reading that. 

Still can't really believe it if I'm honest. 

I just hope his family and close friends realise how much of an impact his life and death has had, on so many of us, so far from his home. 

Logged back in to pay my respects to the big man. Only had a season with us, but a true Hearts legend and a very decent human being to boot. 

MND is a horrific disease and to take out a young, fit man is tragic. If there is any fundraiser set up by Hearts fans, I will happily contribute. 

Seeing the slow, deterioration of Fernando was heartbreaking, so I can fully understand Marius’s decision to remain private. 

R.I.P big man 😓

2 hours ago, Dallas Green said:

😭

Got me in tears watching that, lovely tribute to our captain and leader. Rest In Peace captain 🇱🇻🏆🇱🇻 hope we win the final for you big man 💔

2 hours ago, Texia said:

That is a tough watch, seeing a young man in peak physical condition, and so full of life, just a few short years ago, is truly heartbreaking.

A character and a legend with what should have been his whole life in front of him, has had it cut tragically short. At the time of his death he was literally half my age, and that is cruelly wrong. 

He was a massive part of one of the best days of my life in 2012

RIP Zal and thank you

1 hour ago, redm said:

We sent some flowers to add to the tribute outside the stadium on behalf of the members and admin team of JKB. We thought it might be appropriate to add some Lithuanian colours in there. Hopefully he’d approve. 

Very nice, RIP Big Zal never be forgotten.

Just to confirm that, after our outage tomorrow, we plan to open up our donation function to allow members to donate to MND Scotland via JKB in memory of Marius Zaliukas. 

52 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

After seeing the way Ricksen was in his last few months, I’m not sure I would have like to have witnessed zal in the same way. 
I think it’s better this way. 

I know, I get that, very true 😔

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Just to confirm that, after our outage tomorrow, we plan to open up our donation function to allow members to donate to MND Scotland via JKB in memory of Marius Zaliukas. 

Any possibility of a fund for his dependents esp Marius Junior? 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Any possibility of a fund for his dependents esp Marius Junior? 

Good idea. We raised money for both MND Scotland and for Fernando’s partner and daughter. I will share any links with fellow Rangers fans. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

I think he knew what he meant to us.

3 hours ago, Texia said:

2 hours ago, Gone said:

Who's cutting onions? 😢

Yes, that video was heartbreaking.

Malinga the Swinga

Thought I was stronger than I obviously am as still broken about this. Far too young and far too cruel a disease to take a young man in his prime. 

Funnily enough my favourite Zal moment was his winning header in a 2-1 victory against Dundee United, the one Kello saved a penalty in. Didn't win us a cup, wasn't in a special Derby, it was a league game that won us 3 points at Tynecastle. The power of the header and the look of joy on Marius's face is something that I will never forget and showed just how much Hearts meant to him.

The only positive to be taken is that the big mans pain and suffering is over and he is at rest. 

Thanks Marius, thanks for everything. You will never be forgotten.

jambogirlglasgow
3 hours ago, redm said:

These are just beautiful and the Lithuanian colours are a lovely touch. Rest in peace you legend. 

6 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:
Created a Tribute page to our cup winning captain - https://www.amoruso-lets-it-run.com/tribute-page

Have added my top 5 moments which you can leave comments on along with comments left by ex team-mates on Twitter

Will be adding a video library so you can access all games I have that involved Big Zal

ElrwNH9WkAYQ1WW.jpg

"....Oh aye, and tomorrow...."

😩😫😭😢😥

Tennant's  6's
3 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

That is an outstanding tribute from our great club to a legend of a captain. 
To Hearts, thank you for such a fitting tribute. 
To Big Zal, thanks for lifting the cup, you gave me one the best and most memorable days of my life. 

Very much so. 

That video got to me, I don't even think that i realised just how connected with the club he was. 

He was some guy 😪🏆

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

very nicely put

26 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thought I was stronger than I obviously am as still broken about this. Far too young and far too cruel a disease to take a young man in his prime. 

Funnily enough my favourite Zal moment was his winning header in a 2-1 victory against Dundee United, the one Kello saved a penalty in. Didn't win us a cup, wasn't in a special Derby, it was a league game that won us 3 points at Tynecastle. The power of the header and the look of joy on Marius's face is something that I will never forget and showed just how much Hearts meant to him.

The only positive to be taken is that the big mans pain and suffering is over and he is at rest. 

Its in the tribute videa

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Its in the tribute videa

Not been able to watch video as yet. Still far too raw.

Borders Jambo
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Very well put and exactly how I feel. I hope the Club or FOH sort something out in tribute and to his family.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Texia said:

Found that really difficult to watch, a great tribute though. He just knew what it meant to play for Hearts. We very lucky to have such a great  player and captain at our fine club. A true gentleman who will be sadly missed.

RIP Captain

Never forgotten 

💔💔💔

3 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Martin

Saw this on Twitter and its a great read

Only one point you talk about one of the games at Easter Road but call the Hibs fans the away fans ( I know it seems like it sometimes ) 

Perhaps when the fans are back we can take the 26th minute of that match to make some noise for Big Zal. 

Guy was was an absolute warrior for us. To lose him like this is so crushing. 

Im sure he’ll be remembered forever lifting the cup with tears in his eyes. An absolute giant in our clubs history and PHM. 

Some sort of friendly to fund raise with the 2012 team would be something I’d love to see. Considering their ages it’s very doable. 

I haven't cried in years, even at family funerals. I just watched that video and I cried. I don't even think I'd have had tears had I lifted that trophy but when I see him in tears lifting it...😥

Like people say, he got us. He'll never be forgotten.

6 hours ago, Texia said:

That's me gone again. Still canny get my head round this. RIP big man. You will never be forgotten in Gorgie. 😥

It's honestly hard to believe this has happened. It's probably the most emotional I've felt about a footballer dying. It's awful to think we've already lost two cup winning legends in Zaliukas and Salvatori.

What an absolutely horrible disease it is. Watching Ricksen's decline was incredibly difficult. I hope something can be done in tribute to Zal, fund raising etc. 

He'll never be forgotten and will always be a legend for the 5-1 final.

5 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

I’ve been thinking about this, cos it’d be awful, the thought that he never knew how we all felt about him. But I think he did you know. I remember being at Ibrox, opening game of the 2014/15 season. Four ex-Jambos in the Rangers starting 11. Wallace, Temps & Ian Black received utter dog’s abuse while Zal, on the other hand, was treated to a hero’s reception. We didn’t just get the corner bit that day, it was way along behind the goal too & it was loud. Our support was tremendous that day and I remember the whole end singing his name, big deafening renditions. That was quite a statement, given who we were playing & where. So I think he knew. I’m clinging to that hope anyway

2 minutes ago, Salvator said:

I’ve been thinking about this, cos it’d be awful, the thought that he never knew how we all felt about him. But I think he did you know. I remember being at Ibrox, opening game of the 2014/15 season. Four ex-Jambos in the Rangers starting 11. Wallace, Temps & Ian Black received utter dog’s abuse while Zal, on the other hand, was treated to a hero’s reception. We didn’t just get the corner bit that day, it was way along behind the goal too & it was loud. Our support was tremendous that day and I remember the whole end singing his name, big deafening renditions. That was quite a statement, given who we were playing & where. So I think he knew. I’m clinging to that hope anyway

Great to hear that story.

Was never aware of it until now.

You have left us some great memories, Zal. A true Jambo.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I haven't cried in years, even at family funerals. I just watched that video and I cried. I don't even think I'd have had tears had I lifted that trophy but when I see him in tears lifting it...😥

Like people say, he got us. He'll never be forgotten.

Most of us blokes aren't great at crying but this really got to me also.  Last time was watching video on here of Robbo leading Dave Mackay on his final journey.

Tears of sadness.  Tears of pride.

As a human, as a dad, as man with a family and as a Hearts fan I am gutted at this young man’s death.

As a guy from Gala I have been focussed on Doddie Weir’s battle and have put as much money as I can into his fund. 

I wasn’t aware Marius had this awful illness. I am heart sorry that he did and that it got him so young.

All I can say is the Doddie’s charity is great place for a donation to help in the battle against MND if anyone has any spare cash to donate:

My Name’5 Doddie Foundation 

No need for egg chaser comments - Doddie has raised a fortune that will benefit all MND sufferers in some way or another.

Edited by Jammy T

8 hours ago, the general said:

Martin

Saw this on Twitter and its a great read

Only one point you talk about one of the games at Easter Road but call the Hibs fans the away fans ( I know it seems like it sometimes ) 

Oops! Just fixed that. I must have read it through at least a dozen times and didn't spot it.

Glad folk enjoyed reading it though.

1 hour ago, Martin_T said:

Oops! Just fixed that. I must have read it through at least a dozen times and didn't spot it.

Glad folk enjoyed reading it though.

Wasn't being picky i promise 😌

Just jarred each time I read your otherwise well written piece

RIP CAPTAIN ZAL

I really need to stop watching these tribute videos  😢 From Zal to Salvatori; the foreign imports who "got" us. I always end up in tears RIP you lovely people.

7 hours ago, Jammy T said:

As a human, as a dad, as man with a family and as a Hearts fan I am gutted at this young man’s death.

As a guy from Gala I have been focussed on Doddie Weir’s battle and have put as much money as I can into his fund. 

I wasn’t aware Marius had this awful illness. I am heart sorry that he did and that it got him so young.

All I can say is the Doddie’s charity is great place for a donation to help in the battle against MND if anyone has any spare cash to donate:

No need for egg chaser comments - Doddie has raised a fortune that will benefit all MND sufferers in some way or another.

Hear hear 👏👏👏

9 hours ago, Salvator said:

Hopefully sir 😭😢😥

14 hours ago, MosesMcNeil said:

Good idea. We raised money for both MND Scotland and for Fernando’s partner and daughter. I will share any links with fellow Rangers fans. 

Good on you

I was caught off guard last night with the video Hearts uploaded I was in tears again. I still cant believe this absolute heartbreaking.

For the fans who have paid tribute at Tynecastle top class! I took a detour past last night and stopped off just what he deserves. 

Nelly Terraces
9 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Absolutely agree. The work Doddie has done to highlight this dreadful disease, while suffering from it himself & the money raised for research into it has been incredible.  Well worth putting your spare cash towards if you can.