Marius Žaliūkas R.I.P.

Notorious BIG

I was proper devastated when I heard the news at half time. An utter legend and hero. Think I'll head to Tynecastle tomorrow and leave my Cup Winners 2012 scarf I bought after the game. It's my only physical memento of that day, but he gave everything for the club so as a tribute to the big guy it's the least I can offer. 

Miss you big fella. 

Do do do...... 

😭

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

gorgie rd eh11
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

In tears reading some moving tributes to him on this . I felt Michael Stewart tribute last night was very heart felt . What a tragedy to die so young . He will always be a Hearts legend and was pivotal in 2012 . Unsure how long he had MND  ? Horrible disease . Lots of good suggestions on how to honour him from fans too . I certainly think a crowd fund page for his family would be of great help . Unsure if he has a son ? But wouldn’t it be amazing to see him turn into a footballer and play for us in a few years time ? A great tribute .

Yeah Michael can come across as a bit hard nosed but you could tell he was still trying to take it in and finding it tough to talk about Marius.

R.I.P. big Zal, you are a memorable part of Heart of Midlothian's history.

Gorgie Boot boy

I am sitting here trying to keep my eyes dry.

We knew Zal was fighting illness, my god i am shattered.

Cannot take it in, the lad had such a massive heart.

I may stop reading posts on his death.

Crying again here.

R.I.P Captain.

jambos are go!

IIRC he was rumoured to have been the mystery player to have foregone his wages when we were in the dark days of administration. If true it seems a good time to repay that debt to his young family. RIP.

2 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I am sitting here trying to keep my eyes dry.

We knew Zal was fighting illness, my god i am shattered.

Cannot take it in, the lad had such a massive heart.

I may stop reading posts on his death.

Crying again here.

R.I.P Captain.

I genuinely had no idea he was ill 😔 

2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

A fund for his family would be very well supported, and not just by Hearts fans given the other clubs he played for too.

I think this would be the most important thing at this time,supporting his family financially.Very sad news,great player and character,

we should be starting a fund on here.

Gorgie Boot boy
Just now, DH1986 said:

I genuinely had no idea he was ill 😔 

I heard he was ill a number of months ago, it came up when the Zal's had a new born. I had said how sweet that was etc. Only to be told that he was fighting illness and the wee one had gave him a huge lift.

Never thought about it much till the news broke yesterday, i turned the game off and sat crying for 15 minutes or so.  For those who had no idea Zal was ill, well it must of been a huge shock to hear about his death.

Try to enjoy the memories , cherish them deep in your heart'

4 minutes ago, ford donald said:

I think this would be the most important thing at this time,supporting his family financially.Very sad news,great player and character,

Im in, time to think of his family. They're part of the Jambo family now. 

So many great memories, including that moment when he looked as if he couldn't believe he was getting his hands on the Cup, before turning and holding the Cup high as captain of the side to win the biggest derby game in our history with a look of pure joy on his face.

And don't forget he also scored the Hibs celebration dampener at Easter Road when they won the league cup.

Certainly get a fund raiser going.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

In tears reading some moving tributes to him on this . I felt Michael Stewart tribute last night was very heart felt . What a tragedy to die so young . He will always be a Hearts legend and was pivotal in 2012 . Unsure how long he had MND  ? Horrible disease . Lots of good suggestions on how to honour him from fans too . I certainly think a crowd fund page for his family would be of great help . Unsure if he has a son ? But wouldn’t it be amazing to see him turn into a footballer and play for us in a few years time ? A great tribute .

Was speaking to Christian Nade he saw Zal as a brother as neither were your stereotypical footballer off the pitch. I think he summed it up very nicely, it was essentially. I have had so many messages and I don’t want to open any as it will make this true. I’d rather live in denial. 

Edited by sadj

5 minutes ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I heard he was ill a number of months ago, it came up when the Zal's had a new born. I had said how sweet that was etc. Only to be told that he was fighting illness and the wee one had gave him a huge lift.

Never thought about it much till the news broke yesterday, i turned the game off and sat crying for 15 minutes or so.  For those who had no idea Zal was ill, well it must of been a huge shock to hear about his death.

Try to enjoy the memories , cherish them deep in your heart'

Tragic. I hope the club do him proud and organise a fitting tribute.

I’m certain they will.

I have to admit I'm feeling totally shocked and saddened at this news. My heart goes out his family. For all the memories he gave us I hope we can give them something back as a thank you. 

Oh and let's go on and win this cup for the big guy. No other tribute would be more fitting. RIP Zal.

Gorgie Boot boy
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Tragic. I hope the club do him proud and organise a fitting tribute.

I’m certain they will.

There will be a few clubs supporting the family.

Zal was a role model for the young Lithuanian looking to make it in British football.

My Mother has had flowers delivered to his home.

The absolute least the club should do is cover funeral costs. I'd have no qualms about dipping in to FoH contributions to cover it. If I'm not mistaken, Zal was a member. Now that it's achieved its aims of buying the club, maybe we can give something back to a man who gave the club so much. 

38 minutes ago, ford donald said:

I'm on the bus with this.

43 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

IIRC he was rumoured to have been the mystery player to have foregone his wages when we were in the dark days of administration. If true it seems a good time to repay that debt to his young family. RIP.

I heard this too.  

I’m sure there was one game we were winning, the Hearts song was belting out from the stands and he was singing along in the middle of the pitch, absolutely beaming. Can’t remember which game, but I’d love to see that footage again. 

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

Anyone been along to Tynecastle to lay flowers? If so is there a specific place to go?

I was along earlier. Flowers, scarves etc outside the main stand doors on Foundation Plaza.

1 hour ago, sadj said:

Was speaking to Christian Nade he saw Zal as a brother as neither were your stereotypical footballer off the pitch. I think he summed it up very nicely, it was essentially. I have had so many messages and I don’t want to open any as it will make this true. I’d rather live in denial. 

Good time to drop Nade a message as we know he's had his struggles recently. Hopefully the big man is doing well

1 minute ago, Gone said:

Good time to drop Nade a message as we know he's had his struggles recently. Hopefully the big man is doing well

Indeed , That was one of the reasons i gave him a call. He is doing superbly outwith yesterdays news. Another genuine guy. Def a cult status Jambo i’d say. 

Just now, sadj said:

Indeed , That was one of the reasons i gave him a call. He is doing superbly outwith yesterdays news. Another genuine guy. Def a cult status Jambo i’d say. 

Good news!

Gimme an H...
1 hour ago, Independence said:

Change the name of the 1874 bar to the Big Zal or Zaliukas bar?

Zal's

I’m sorry to learn he had such an awful condition and yet we Hearts fans didn’t know and couldn’t reach out to him. 

It’s sad that in his last months he didn’t know how fondly he was remembered here, and that he will always have his place in Hearts’ story. 

I hope that this close to him will read the tributes on this thread and elsewhere, and get some comfort. He’s being remembered as he should be, through laughter, tears and (yet) another Derby win. Thanks for the memories. My sincere condolences to his family.

1 hour ago, Independence said:

Change the name of the 1874 bar to the Big Zal or Zaliukas bar?

The big Z has a ring to it. 

Pulp fiction, "Zs dead baby Zs dead" keeps going round my head. Hope the club set something up for his family. 

I know it's not what it's for but could FOH not donate a months subs to his family? I mean it's not like it's a ex player who died in old age, It's a ex player who was still young enough that he would be the main breadwinner in his house. 

5 minutes ago, Herbert said:

I know it's not what it's for but could FOH not donate a months subs to his family? I mean it's not like it's a ex player who died in old age, It's a ex player who was still young enough that he would be the main breadwinner in his house. 

I would have no objection to that, since we cannot have a benefit game with fans.   If FoH give advance warning, I will increase for that month. 

18Jambo_dave74

Have made a point of reading every post on this thread (not the usual skimming over!). 

It has reminded me of some of big Zal’s best and funny moments. My standout memory of him is his performance in Perth in the cup replay. Yes, he scored the winner but after that St Johnstone launched ball after ball in to our box and time and time again Zal (and Webster) cleared it. He was an absolute colossus that night. 

I absolutely echo the sentiments from others about contributing to a fund for the family and helping with anything they need. On top of that I hope there is some way that it can be conveyed to his family and friends just how important and how loved he was by Hearts fan’s. I’m sure they do know but maybe not to the true extent. What he achieved at Hearts will never be forgotten. 

I’m sure the club will do something befitting his memory, particularly with the cup final approaching. Been some great ideas on this thread.

An awful lot has gone wrong for us in the last couple of years but this puts it all 8nto perspective.  An absolute tragedy.  

When crowds are back we will find a way to celebrate him at Tynecastle. Hopefully some of his family will be present.

In the meantime, I repeat my view that a period of silence or applause would be appropriate at the Scottish Cup final.  Hopefully by then some supporters will be present.

loveofthegame

It may have already been suggested but I'd be delighted to contribute to a big flag for Tynie as well as any contribution to Zal's family. Something in the ilk of the Chelsea JT flag - "Captain. Leader. Legend".

Forgive me if it’s already been covered, I believe his funeral has now been confirmed, would it be possible to send a wreath from Kickback? Would be delighted to contribute. 

33 minutes ago, Paolo said:

I would have no objection to that, since we cannot have a benefit game with fans.   If FoH give advance warning, I will increase for that month. 

FOH has the best facilities and outreach to organise something like this. If they could set up a standalone fund on the website and keep it active for a couple of weeks im sure it would draw in plenty of support from ourselves, Rangers and Leeds. Does anyone know if there's any Foundation organisers active on Kickback that might be able to drive this on?

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

I'd be right behind that. In fact, I'd go one further. Now that we've bought the club and FoH has achieved its initial goals, I'd be be up for a crisis trust fund to be set up from a portion of monthly donations, to help any members of staff, ex or present, and their immediate families in the event of tragedies such as these. 

Edited by Norm

44 minutes ago, R08813 said:

FOH has the best facilities and outreach to organise something like this. If they could set up a standalone fund on the website and keep it active for a couple of weeks im sure it would draw in plenty of support from ourselves, Rangers and Leeds. Does anyone know if there's any Foundation organisers active on Kickback that might be able to drive this on?

I have already contacted Stuart Wallace re setting something up. He is considering it. Probably should be the club that does it. 

Still in shock at this and doesn’t feel right for some reason.  An absolute tragedy to a fantastic captain and person.  I don’t usually buy into “he gets the club” stuff but Zali, was by far the one Lithuanian that did get us and loved us. Such a shame for his young family too.  He has left a real legacy also with our club. 

51 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Forgive me if it’s already been covered, I believe his funeral has now been confirmed, would it be possible to send a wreath from Kickback? Would be delighted to contribute. 

This. 

Dreadful news. Hope when the fans are back we mark his passing in a fitting way. 

Do we have a name for the new stand? Could do a lot worse than naming it after a Hearts cup winning captain who died tragically young. 

7 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

R.I.P  Zal.

Tributes for Marius Zaliukas earlier today. 

123297224_4673954245980409_201349336582657982_n.jpg

123497224_4673952709313896_3840379325878218808_n.jpg

Lovely stuff

Rest in peace  zal