• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• gashauskis9

• Marvin

• soonbe110

Yes, a fund would be a nice gesture from us to show our appreciation at this horrible time for his family. 

Let's make it happen. I'm in. 

9 minutes ago, Herbert said:

100%

I would stick 20quid in, It's not much but would show his family he was one of us and will be remembered as a cup winning legend.

👍👍👍

pupstersajambo

Very saddened to hear about the untimely death of Zal at only 36. I gather he became a new Dad early this year as well which makes it doubly sad. He struggled when he first arrived at Tynecastle but he showed incredible fortitude to become club captain. I enjoyed tonights semi final result against Hibs yet even that was not enough to shake this feeling of sadness I have.

Beating Hibs in a Scottish Cup Semi final should have me on cloud 9, however this news has absolutely devastated me. The skipper of the 3rd cup win of my lifetime, and by far the biggest derby. Aside from that, he's the same age as me and from looking at photos, stories I've heard and testaments on Twitter, he seemed like a genuinely lovely guy to boot. RIP Captain Zal, I'll be having a whisky for you tonight 

I keep going from delight at todays result to tears thinking about Zal. Absolutely tragic to lose someone at such a young age - someone who was so charismatic and who embodied the values of our great club when wearing the Hearts jersey. Makes you realise how precious life is.  He lived something we all dream about - to captain Hearts to a famous Scottish Cup victory against our rivals. A day we'll all remember to our dying day.

Zal, you are one of us, you just got it. From your goal at perth to captaining us though the semi win and the best day of my jambo life in May 2012. 

RIP big man.

43 minutes ago, martoon said:

Credit to Hibs fans. 

Kind words despite the result today. 

Yup. Didn’t go on their site to gloat but I wanted to look in to see if they had their own thread going. I was a bit hesitant for obvious reasons but ended up reading most of the comments made 

that’s when the tears started ... some of their fans seemed genuinely devastated ... one of the comments something like “never liked him as a player but I never liked him because he was that Good.” 

someone else saying that they met him and he was an absolute gentleman. 

I’ll never stop despising that mob but credit where credits due ... the word legend is banded about all to easy these days, but when the tributes come pouring in from ur arch rivals you know the respect and esteem he was held in and the word legend is apt.

Fantastic servant, fantastic captain and a fantastic human being. Always will hold him in the highest regard ... he would have been looking down on us today with that big smile ... no doubt in my mind 

Gimme an H...

Apologies if it's been mentioned - any idea how it happened? 

Rest in peace Zal. You will always be remembered. 

1 minute ago, Gimme an H... said:

Apologies if it's been mentioned - any idea how it happened? 

Rest in peace Zal. You will always be remembered. 

Heart attack I think .. he was at home when it happened 

Gimme an H...
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

Heart attack I think .. he was at home when it happened 

Seen it mentioned he's been ill for a while - was it related to heart disease/attacks? 

******* loved the man, mind we went on an unreal run of never conceding and all down to him, he gets injured and we leaked goals for fun. I also remember just calling him 26 for about the first year!

RIP ya but Cup Winning legend  👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼❤️

1 minute ago, communist said:

MND apparently, I'm reading. 

Just now, Gimme an H... said:

Seen it mentioned he's been ill for a while - was it related to heart disease/attacks? 

1 minute ago, Gimme an H... said:

I read the MND comments on twitter but there was a press article saying he had a heart attack. His wife was quoted as saying his heart stopped beating in another article 

sorry if I got it wrong. Just utterly devastated whatever the reason ... 36yrs of age. Can’t stop thinking about it 

4 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Retire the number 26 jersey in his honour? 

If Halkett didn't already have it I'd totally be behind this idea.

A_A wehatethehibs

Have to say just look at .net and Hibs fans a credit to their club on this one.

Tragic to lose a guy so young, for him and his family. So sad. Honeslty I felt that today without knowing Popsicu gave a Zal esque performance tonight, Zal was never Ferdinand or Terry or Cannavaro or Pujol but he gave all what he had for our club. Will always appreciate a player like that, all the more now that big Zal is gone. So sad he is gone. Hearbroken. Our players did him proud tonight the big man would expect nothing less than tonight’s performance. 

Like most on here, I nver knew him, but this hurts. I recall a game at tynie where we were beating (I think) Der Hun. The whole stadium was giving the Hearts Song big licks. With the action up the other end, I recall looking over at our remaining defensive line up. The big man was concentrating 100% on what was happening in front of him. At the same time, clapping and singing along with the crowd.

I like to thing that he he felt at home and fulfilled his sporting ambitions at Hearts. Nobody should be taken from us so young.

You made my life a little richer big man - I hope we made yours likewise.

Two things stick in my mind about big Zal. His interview after the cup final, and the day he scored a last minute penalty to equalise against ICT the season after(I think). His emotions in those two moments just summed him up for me. 

Absolutely loved the big guy. 

Rest in peace Skipper. 

SpruceBringsteen

I've never got sad over a "celebrity" passing away in my life, but today I've cried three times.

A wonderful player, a wonderful captain, a wonderful human being. So glad the team did him proud today.

I'll miss you Marius. 

I never even knew he was battling such a horrible disease. A legend of a man who epitomised what it was to play for Hearts. Just got the club and the fans.

So bitter sweet after the result today but will always be remembered. Thoughts are with his friends and family. 

William H. Bonney
27 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Retire the number 26 jersey in his honour? 

make him honorable captain for the cup final. 

Weakened Offender

I met Zal at one of the fundraising events. Great guy. 

I cannot believe today's news. Its so sad. Awful stuff. 

An absolute legend. Christ, I loved thec guy. 

It hits hard when you hear about the 1956 team passing away and more recently Salvatori.  I never thought I’d be mourning someone from the 2012 team.  I’m in shock. 

hearts @ heart
1 hour ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

My Mother looked after Zal when he first moved to the club, heart broken.

Oh so sad. Best wishes to you, your mum, family and jambos every where. And of course to Zal an all his family on this sad occasion  

I am sure he would be willing hearts on.

RIP  Maurius.

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Remember that well. He grabbed the ball and strode up with confidence and stuck it away with aplomb. A leader and a gentleman.

Yup. It was a cracking penalty, and the passion on his face after just showed how much he ‘got it’. 

1 hour ago, Australis said:

Yep went over to gloat and very touched by the comments regarding Zal.

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

agreed

48 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Yup. Didn’t go on their site to gloat but I wanted to look in to see if they had their own thread going. I was a bit hesitant for obvious reasons but ended up reading most of the comments made 

that’s when the tears started ... some of their fans seemed genuinely devastated ... one of the comments something like “never liked him as a player but I never liked him because he was that Good.” 

someone else saying that they met him and he was an absolute gentleman. 

I’ll never stop despising that mob but credit where credits due ... the word legend is banded about all to easy these days, but when the tributes come pouring in from ur arch rivals you know the respect and esteem he was held in and the word legend is apt.

Fantastic servant, fantastic captain and a fantastic human being. Always will hold him in the highest regard ... he would have been looking down on us today with that big smile ... no doubt in my mind 

Aye. 

I usually pull no punches about my opinion of the average Hibs.net punter but, fair play, class from them this evening. 

Gorgie Boot boy
4 minutes ago, hearts @ heart said:

Oh so sad. Best wishes to you, your mum, family and jambos every where. And of course to Zal an all his family on this sad occasion  

I am sure he would be willing hearts on.

RIP  Maurius.

Such a shock.

The big lad fought hard to make it in British football.

My wee Mum washed and ironed his clothes, made him feel at home for a few months when he first arrived. They been pals since.

He will always be a hero and legend .

Tomorrow will be a tough day for us all.

R.I.P  Zal

Rab and the lads in heaven will look out for you .

Cracking win today. But as something of a young man this has me a bit rattled, to be honest. Really tough one to take.

Will always remember the emotion he spilled before lifting the trophy. The commentary regarding whether he had dreamed of lifting the trophy. Truly devastating news