**** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****

Perth to Paisley

Perth to Paisley

Im sure Hearts asked he was excluded from previous squads - he/club thinks he would benefit from the rest  - its no big deal.

He wouldn't get picked for a few reasons so rest is much better for him.

Plenty career ahead of him.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Does anyone know or have any idea surrounding whether AH is eligible possibly for any other national team? Would be interested to find that out and whether that is playing a part 🤔

Italy once he's resident for 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

To integrate him to the style of play associated with Scozia. There will be elements the Italians haven't even considered yet

:rofl:

On 10/11/2021 at 10:53, Jambo92 said:

Our two best players are LB's, no point in having a 3rd in there.  He still has a long way to go too, he got torn to shreds when he played against Zlatan and his boys about a month ago.

As he can also play RB, I'd take a young player playing in a team that's managed 4 clean sheets in 12 in italy over a Motherwell journeyman playing in a defence that's conceded everytime he's played (and in the 4 games he's missed, motherwell kept 3 clean sheets)

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 10/11/2021 at 07:53, Riccarton3 said:

To integrate him to the style of play associated with Scozia. There will be elements the Italians haven't even considered yet

He He. 

Francis Albert
16 hours ago, comradejambo said:

Apologies for my ignorance but in the event Milan make a significant bid for the lad, are we due any sell on fee? 

No need to apologise. There have been scores of posts demonstrating ignorance of the answer to that question from which posts  I drew the conclusion that if there is it won't be all that significant. Certainly in no way transformational.

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

No need to apologise. There have been scores of posts demonstrating ignorance of the answer to that question from which posts  I drew the conclusion that if there is it won't be all that significant. Certainly in no way transformational.

Thanks and yes I would tend to agree! 

29 minutes ago, Ribble said:

As he can also play RB, I'd take a young player playing in a team that's managed 4 clean sheets in 12 in italy over a Motherwell journeyman playing in a defence that's conceded everytime he's played (and in the 4 games he's missed, motherwell kept 3 clean sheets)

Indeed.  When we played Motherwell, O'Donnell was worst player on the pitch by some distance.  Looked like he'd won a raffle.  He canny even run.  Sure he's a nice lad, but seriously!!!!

13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Indeed.  When we played Motherwell, O'Donnell was worst player on the pitch by some distance.  Looked like he'd won a raffle.  He canny even run.  Sure he's a nice lad, but seriously!!!!

Probably benefited considerably from having no proper competition. Shocking that we were even in that situation - where we had somehow not developed any decent RBs that he was considered a viable choice. Hes had some decent games in fairness to him, but he's too limited a player IMO. 

Thank god we have Patterson now, should restrict him to back up. Obviously Calvin Ramsay seems like he'll eventually step up too. 

Guest ToqueJambo
On 10/11/2021 at 02:53, Jambo92 said:

Our two best players are LB's, no point in having a 3rd in there.  He still has a long way to go too, he got torn to shreds when he played against Zlatan and his boys about a month ago.

Hes more than a LB thats the point. And why not have him in to learn from Tierney and robertson? Crazy hes

never been involved considering the shite teams we’ve been playing (and struggling against).

Perth to Paisley

Robertson and Tierney both go off injured and all we have on the bench to bring on is a Celtic RIGHT back making his debut!

Clark will 'get away with it' because of the result.

27 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Robertson and Tierney both go off injured and all we have on the bench to bring on is a Celtic RIGHT back making his debut!

Got to disagree how often would that happen that both injured you cannot cover for every possibility, and I rate Hickey highly but as left back/wing back 

7 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Got to disagree how often would that happen that both injured you cannot cover for every possibility, and I rate Hickey highly but as left back/wing back 

It's a funny one isn't it.  He should be in the squad

a) because he is playing at and to a level that merits it

b) he covers 3 or 4 positions, certainly 2 an

c) he's 19 and a certain future internationalist so let's get him in for experience

So while 2 left back getting injured is rare, when Robertson went off, it was a rejig anyway.  Having Hickey there would have been perfect and more seamless.

If Robertson gets injured, we haven't given his obvious replacement any exposure.  It's mad imo.

So hard to moan about Clarke, he's done really well but he doesn't make any bold decisions.  Gilmour he almost was forced into playing the boy.  Patterson, well if it's him or O'Donnell.... Clarke has a very Scottish approach when it comes to these things.  As I say, he's done well though and the lads obviously love playing for him.

What a difference moving back to more of a 343 - something I've no idea why he abandoned.

1 hour ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Would you have said similar if it was O'Donnell that got injured and Hickey had come on at RB?

Hickey debate aside, Clarke would have been better off with calling up Kingsley in place of 'Porty', more of a natural replacement for Tierney and can also play as a LWB.

Perth to Paisley
18 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Would you have said similar if it was O'Donnell that got injured and Hickey had come on at RB?

Hickey debate aside, Clarke would have been better off with calling up Kingsley in place of 'Porty', more of a natural replacement for Tierney and can also play as a LWB.

To be fair I would have said the same if Craig Gordon went off injured.

Just think its madness not including Aaron in thd squad even just to sit in the stand - he's not going to learn much training with U21's

I have similar thoughts about Ryan Gauld, Johnny Russel and to a lesser extent Henderson at Empoli!

Superb, I'm going to get my Sunday coffee and watch it. 

I'm in for 3-1.    They are improving this season.   Might make a European place.   Will be tough though. 

It's one of the highlights of the last 5 years or so, watching young Hickey hold his own at this level, having been given his chance at a ridiculously young age, because of his natural ease and ability on a football pitch...talk is cheap re players and their potential etc, but to see him achieve so much at such a young age, should be inspiring for everyone else coming through...

I notice Romero the ex man utd keeper is playing for Venezia.   I hope he's not going to get man of the match today.    He's already dominating his box, making saves.    Seems a big name signing for a below average club.   

August Landmesser

Watching the Napoli game, Inter have some absolutely honking jersies this season. And that Bitcoin sponsor as well, manky.

Fun game though

Perth to Paisley

Another solid but unspectacular performance

Bologna are an average side with nobody capable of breaking down a stuffy defence...sounds familiar 🤔 

Worth a read....

""Fourteen months on from departing Tynecastle, Hickey is flourishing in Serie A with Bologna. Milan have been credited with an interest. There is definite attention from the Premier League – partly linked to the added value of Scottish players in a post-Brexit world – in a 19-year-old who has continued on a steep upward curve under Sinisa Mihajlovic.""

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/27/aaron-hickey-scotland-bologna-serie-a-interview

8 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Worth a read....

""Fourteen months on from departing Tynecastle, Hickey is flourishing in Serie A with Bologna. Milan have been credited with an interest. There is definite attention from the Premier League – partly linked to the added value of Scottish players in a post-Brexit world – in a 19-year-old who has continued on a steep upward curve under Sinisa Mihajlovic.""

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/27/aaron-hickey-scotland-bologna-serie-a-interview

I have been watching Hickey play on a freebie site, he is a lot stronger loves to get stuck in. Has a lot of interested admirers. Scored two and had a couple of other good shots. So much to offer. Cracking player. His goal against the vermin, the Uche step over thing. Outstanding. Same goal celebration for Bologna Football Club 1909

Edited by A.JAMBO

14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Obvious step down to leave Hearts and go to Serie A but he looks to have done well for himself.

Found his level

15 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Obvious step down to leave Hearts and go to Serie A but he looks to have done well for himself.

Some people just can't cope with the pressure of playing for a footballing giant.

It was nice of Bologna to offer him a a second chance.

Good to see him doing well.

If we can't hold onto Cochrane and Kingsley at the end of the season he might manage to come straight back into the starting left-back spot.

If he had signed from Celtic or rangers the Scottish media would be going wild over him. Good that's he's working away pretty much under the radar tho

2 minutes ago, His name is said:

If he had signed from Celtic or rangers the Scottish media would be going wild over him. Good that's he's working away pretty much under the radar tho

Spot on...

3 minutes ago, His name is said:

Yeah, kind of funny seeing the faux outrage about him not appearing for u21s. Worth noting that Tierney never played for the u21s either, so the expectation that Hickey needs to when not even based in the UK is hilarious. International youth football whilst playing at a professional level is an unnecessary risk and he's right to avoid it since its not going to add anything to his skillset given he's playing at such a high level now. Flying back and forward every international break is probably exhausting too. 

Maybe if they weren't so hellbent on giving priority to OF youth players he'd have appeared for the U21s when he was here...

August Landmesser

Entertaining game, Hickey about to play the full 90, Bologna winning 1-0 with a penalty, daft handball in the wall at a free kick

11 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:
On 21/11/2021 at 13:49, Mikey1874 said:

Goes without saying starts again 

http://www.hesgoal.com/news/91917/Bologna_vs_Venezia.html

A great away win, pushes Hickeys Bologna FC 1909 into 9th place. This side is getting better by the month Thing is Bologna were playing Spezia Calcio

Edited by A.JAMBO

32 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:

A great away win, pushes Hickeys Bologna FC 1909 into 9th place. This side is getting better by the month

Currently in the mix for European places. 

Would think Aaron Hickey will be thinking that too. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Currently in the mix for European places. 

Would think Aaron Hickey will be thinking that too. 

4th place is there for them. Aaron has changed a lot in his style and aggression, His head up movemnt is outstanding. Aaron loves his life right now, has an engine to play center mid. This is where i see him in the future. Anyways , he doesn't need a big money move right now if Bologna grab a Euro spot...

Edited by A.JAMBO

During the game the commentator mentioned he hadn’t really done anything in the game yet. And that’s exactly why he’s starting every game. Play a clean technically good game and do the basics well and the Italians appreciate that type of play. Let the front men do the fancy stuff build on the basics from the more defensive players. I love the way Italian fans idolise their defenders and midfielders. 

Perth to Paisley
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

During the game the commentator mentioned he hadn’t really done anything in the game yet. And that’s exactly why he’s starting every game. Play a clean technically good game and do the basics well and the Italians appreciate that type of play. Let the front men do the fancy stuff build on the basics from the more defensive players. I love the way Italian fans idolise their defenders and midfielders. 

Defending is an understated art.

Does his job - takes thd ball from back 3 and links with 'more creative' 

He'll become more adventurous when he's allowed!

August Landmesser
12 minutes ago, Perth to Paisley said:

Martens... wow 👏 👏  👏 

Could do a job? He does look a bit like if Halkett and Conor Washington had a baby...

3 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Bologna are coming on well, but they won't finish in the top 6.

Tend to agree. I always look at goal difference. Minus when your near the mix always usually is telling. Hope they do obviously 

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****