Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Perth to Paisley
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Played the full 90 minutes. First time?

Don t think so but I was hoping he would get subbed after his booking.

Looked knackered at the end.

8 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Target for AC Milan supposedly. 

Great if true but I think the have Theo Hernadez on the left who is a cracking player 

Could a load of tabloid diarrhoea.

2 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

Target for AC Milan supposedly. 

Great if true but I think the have Theo Hernadez on the left who is a cracking player 

He's made good decisions so far.

He's first choice at Bologna just now. Could get lost at Milan. 

Perth to Paisley

Another start (23rd appearance

Directly up against the wily old fox Candreva.

Quagliarellla is on the bench for Samp

willie wallace
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Booked after 12 minutes...

He does seem to get booked quite often but not sure he has served a suspension yet.

Malinga the Swinga

Just having look at some papers. Most seem to be saying it's ridiculous that he isn't in full squad, considering he can play either left or right back. I see the Bologna coach even stated that under 21's is a waste of Hickeys talent.

Certainly is a great atmosphere.    I've got 2-2 but I'm thinking Inter might sneak a win. 

Two penalties, one in, one saved! 1-1, second half to go In afew minutes.   

maroonedinbriz

Just wants a rest according to the bbc. Strange for a 19 year old with a chance to represent your country even at U21 level.

Italian Lambretta
28 minutes ago, maroonedinbriz said:

Just wants a rest according to the bbc. Strange for a 19 year old with a chance to represent your country even at U21 level.

His Manager has said that the U21 was a waste of his talent and he should be in the big squad.

So no big suprise that he's pulled out.

Edited by Italian Lambretta
Text

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Fair enough. For a player regularly starting in Serie A, being overlooked for the National senior side is insulting. Aaronio Hickacci for Italia!

27 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

His Manager has said that the U21 was a waste of his talent and he should be in the big squad.

So no big suprise that he's pulled out.

Probably this.  Where I would be as well.  You just know if he'd signed for Celtic he would be earning his 5th full cap by now!

Two footed, playing regularly in Serie A who could play on the right but  behind a Motherwell player and a Rangers bench warmer. Who would have thought.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, a11ank said:

Probably this.  Where I would be as well.  You just know if he'd signed for Celtic he would be earning his 5th full cap by now!

Of course he would - two-footed, 55 senior appearances (almost half in Serie A) and he's not even been included in a senior squad to get him used to it and learn from Robertson and Tierney. Quite right he's pulled out, no doubt on the advice of his manager.

One of many baffling Clarke Scotland selections (or non selections). 

Was it 5 games Patterson had before being capped? Jack Hendry had a handful of games after his move from Dundee before getting called up. Greg Taylor still getting called up despite not playing for Celtic.  Now Celtic fans are screaming for Ralston after a dozen half-decent games. None of them knew his name before this season. None of these 4 are anywhere near Hickey's quality.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Good for him. Left back getting rave reviews in Serie A and being scouted by AC Milan only to be an after thought for the U21s in Scotland..

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Of course he would - two-footed, 55 senior appearances (almost half in Serie A) and he's not even been included in a senior squad to get him used to it and learn from Robertson and Tierney. Quite right he's pulled out, no doubt on the advice of his manager.

One of many baffling Clarke Scotland selections (or non selections). 

Was it 5 games Patterson had before being capped? Jack Hendry had a handful of games after his move from Dundee before getting called up. Greg Taylor still getting called up despite not playing for Celtic.  Now Celtic fans are screaming for Ralston after a dozen half-decent games. None of them knew his name before this season. None of these 4 are anywhere near Hickey's quality.

There is definitely a wisdom passed on that if you can play for Celtic and Rangers no matter the state either team is in or how pish you actually are, you're in line for caps. Isn't Tosh a good example? Played so well for Hearts, consistently good yet only saw caps when moved to Celtic.

3 hours ago, maroonedinbriz said:

No, it's a great decision. Treated as an integral part of the first team at Bologna, treated like an afterthought in the Scotland setup. Good on him for effectively telling them to go feck themselves.

Edited by redjambo

3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Probably just holding out for Italian citizenship now.

:) Not a bad shout, jonesy.

Whilst I agree that Hickey should be in the senior squad this is just the latest in a series of pull outs for Scotland’s national teams (at a number of age groups). Being called up for your country should be an honour (no matter the age group) and now only really raises questions over his commitment to the cause. Personally I would crawl over a barrel of broken glass to represent Scotland and I would not throw my toys out the pram if was for a team lesser than the senior squad. Poor show in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Arfur said:

Whilst I agree that Hickey should be in the senior squad this is just the latest in a series of pull outs for Scotland’s national teams (at a number of age groups). Being called up for your country should be an honour (no matter the age group) and now only really raises questions over his commitment to the cause. Personally I would crawl over a barrel of broken glass to represent Scotland and I would not throw my toys out the pram if was for a team lesser than the senior squad. Poor show in my opinion.

Respect goes two ways, or at least it should. I hope he ends up playing for Italy.

Maybe an agreement between club and country to rest him?

Surely the point in the u21's is to progress players for the full national team.

I would suggest that having a full season in serie a as a first choice player will enhance his career better than playing a couple of u21 games.

8 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Not many need to crawl over broken glass these days. Although Aaron is possibly the exception.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

There is definitely a wisdom passed on that if you can play for Celtic and Rangers no matter the state either team is in or how pish you actually are, you're in line for caps. Isn't Tosh a good example? Played so well for Hearts, consistently good yet only saw caps when moved to Celtic.

The thing is when Clarke first came in as Scotland manager it looked like we had someone who would finally buck that trend. He called up a bunch of Kilmarnock players who were playing well. He's since reverted to the traditional method of picking players, but unfortunately still keeps picking a couple of his old players like ODonnell and Taylor.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Respect goes two ways, or at least it should. I hope he ends up playing for Italy.

Not a bad shout. We've already lost Boyle and Harry Souttar who couldn't be any worse than some of the players called up recently.

Guest ToqueJambo

Wonder if Clarke has even travelled to watch him. What else do you do with your time as national boss in between games? Italy has been ok to travel to for a bit. It would certainly be a nice boost for one of the country's best prospects to at least know he's in the manager's thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Jambos1983 said:

Since his hearts debut he'd been called up to just one youth squad prior to October. He's quite right to tell them to ram it

Believe he's turned them down going back to his Hearts days.  For someone young to have played the number of games he has it makes sense to take opportunity to rest but won't do his long term international career much good.

16 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Believe he's turned them down going back to his Hearts days.  For someone young to have played the number of games he has it makes sense to take opportunity to rest but won't do his long term international career much good.

Doubt it. 

If he becomes the best player in his position he'll get picked. 

It's well known by sports people that youngsters need rest. Started every game for Bologna this season. Very few if any Scotland U21 player will have done that. Closest is Josh Doig. 

6 hours ago, Arfur said:

I agree it's not a good look and on the face of it displays quite a bit of arrogance for someone who has yet to play a single game for the U21s. In fairness, though, this could well be coming from the club rather than Hickey himself.

Francis Albert

Given the shamefully meagre number of caps awarded to some of the greatest Hearts players in my lifetime I am happy for Hickey or his manager or both to wait until a time of his/their choosing.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Doubt it. 

It's well known by sports people that youngsters need rest. Started every game for Bologna this season. Very few if any Scotland U21 player will have done that. Closest is Josh Doig. 

Doesn't need to be the best to get in a squad. He's good enough to play against Zlatan, Insigne, Pedro etc but according to Clarke (who has a responsibility to nurture young players into the full squad) not good enough to even sit on the bench against forwards none of us can name who play for the Faroes, Moldova, Austria, Israel...

Edited by ToqueJambo

August Landmesser
57 minutes ago, stirlo said:

I agree it's not a good look and on the face of it displays quite a bit of arrogance for someone who has yet to play a single game for the U21s. In fairness, though, this could well be coming from the club rather than Hickey himself.

Aye, because sitting on the bench for the U21s is a greater honour and achievement than starting every week in a decent Serie A team. The arrogance of the boy, oh the arrogance!

8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Given the shamefully meagre number of caps awarded to some of the greatest Hearts players in my lifetime I am happy for Hickey or his manager or both to wait until a time of his/their choosing.

Indeed.

If John Robertson had played for the uglies he would have had 70+ caps.

8 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Aye, because sitting on the bench for the U21s is a greater honour and achievement than starting every week in a decent Serie A team. The arrogance of the boy, oh the arrogance!

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

He’s getting some great advice from someone………get it right rooond the lot of them

Correct! Fek em!

9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Doesn't need to be the best to get in a squad. He's good enough to play against Zlatan, Insigne, Pedro etc but according to Clarke (who has a responsibility to nurture young players into the full squad) not good enough to even sit on the bench against forwards none of us can name who play for the Faroes, Moldova, Austria, Israel...

Our two best players are LB's, no point in having a 3rd in there.  He still has a long way to go too, he got torn to shreds when he played against Zlatan and his boys about a month ago.

11 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Doubt it. 

Great point. And I expect Serie A is quite demanding physically and mentally.

Does anyone know or have any idea surrounding whether AH is eligible possibly for any other national team? Would be interested to find that out and whether that is playing a part 🤔

7 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Does anyone know or have any idea surrounding whether AH is eligible possibly for any other national team? Would be interested to find that out and whether that is playing a part 🤔

I don't think so. I'm sure he wants to play for Scotland but what's the point in him flying from Italy to play what are essentially reserve games when he's a first team player in Serie A. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I don't think so. I'm sure he wants to play for Scotland but what's the point in him flying from Italy to play what are essentially reserve games when he's a first team player in Serie A. 

To integrate him to the style of play associated with Scozia. There will be elements the Italians haven't even considered yet

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****