**** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****

Perth to Paisley

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I maybe should know, but how does Hickey qualify for Italy? Would he not need to stay for years to be eligible for them.

It's generally a mistake to take Italian rules as given as it's a minefield of bureaucracy, but as it stands...I think...if he is resident for five years he could play for them !

This could change tonight, or anytime for that matter !

Love Italy ! 😎

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Perth to Paisley

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Boab said:

It's generally a mistake to take Italian rules as given as it's a minefield of bureaucracy, but as it stands...I think...if he is resident for five years he could play for them !

Love Italy ! 😎

Certainly put cat amongst pigeons if it happens

59 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

Agreed, which makes it even more bewildering why the buying club would want to add an additional risk on top of the unavoidable ones that all transfers attract.

500k is nothing to big clubs in Italy. 

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Love Italy ! 😎

The 5 years is FIFA rules. 

At the moment my bet is Italy pick him first. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure how relevant that is.  He was getting a wee bit of game time in cups, and was on the bench every week at Chelsea.  I'm saying the lad was and is quite clearly the future of our midfield and in fact, whole team.  Fast track him and get him in the squad, let him get used to that environment and starting building bonds.

Sitting on the bench and starting a couple of Carrabao Cup games is no preparation or justification for international football.  I’m not much of a Steve Clarke fan but he was damned if he did, damned if he didn’t.  If he didn’t play Gilmour fans were going to slate him, if he did pick him and he was pish he would get slated for picking a guy not getting a game for Chelsea.  

But reading back, I think you’re only suggesting Gilmour should have been involved in squads earlier rather than playing which is fair enough.  I’d say Hickey has earned the right a lot more to be involved in squads at the age of 19 than Gilmour had, he’s played way more first team football and a fair bit in Serie A. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The 5 years is FIFA rules. 

At the moment my bet is Italy pick him first. 

Not sure,mate.

Hope he stays there. Plenty of fantastic players have made great careers moving around Italy.

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, Boab said:

Not sure,mate.

Hope he stays there. Plenty of fantastic players have made great careers moving around Italy.

Suppose this is second seasons. He does 1 more and Italian FA just need to have a quiet word and ask him to wait.

All I can say at the risk of repetition is that I will never forget his performance in that Cup Final.  16 years old.  Played James Forrest out of the game.  Even provided the assist for our goal before our luck ran out.

Boys Own stuff.

He's far too good for our league and he will know that.

Great if he goes for £100m or so and we get a chunk of it.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Even provided the assist for our goal before our luck ran out.

Luck ran out? Before Collum cheated us more like 

Guest ToqueJambo
31 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Suppose this is second seasons. He does 1 more and Italian FA just need to have a quiet word and ask him to wait.

He'll need to go some to challenge Luca Pellegrini for best Italian LB but Hickey's two-footedness make him stand out and I'm sure a lot of managers are considering him. Could even see him as a sweeper or DM as has been mooted before. His positional sense, composure and confidence, clean tackling and ability to pick out a pass was evident from his first games with us. Now he seems to have bulked up a bit and has added goals to his toolbox. Has to be considered one of Europe's best teenage prospects right now, certainly one of the most experienced.

Once again, absolutely criminal he's not been in a Scotland squad.

Guest ToqueJambo
24 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

All I can say at the risk of repetition is that I will never forget his performance in that Cup Final.  16 years old.  Played James Forrest out of the game.  Even provided the assist for our goal before our luck ran out.

Boys Own stuff.

He's far too good for our league and he will know that.

Great if he goes for £100m or so and we get a chunk of it.

Could see a team like Newcastle going for him. They'll be opening the wallet soon and will want to make a statement by buying some of the top young talent out there.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Not sure,mate.

Absolute certainty he’ll end up in English Premiership, just a question of when.  

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Sitting on the bench and starting a couple of Carrabao Cup games is no preparation or justification for international football.  I’m not much of a Steve Clarke fan but he was damned if he did, damned if he didn’t.  If he didn’t play Gilmour fans were going to slate him, if he did pick him and he was pish he would get slated for picking a guy not getting a game for Chelsea.  

But reading back, I think you’re only suggesting Gilmour should have been involved in squads earlier rather than playing which is fair enough.  I’d say Hickey has earned the right a lot more to be involved in squads at the age of 19 than Gilmour had, he’s played way more first team football and a fair bit in Serie A. 

Aye mate, for me its about getting guys we're sure are the future in and acclimatised early. They dont need to play, maybe off the bench if youre a couple up against San Marino, you know!

We just seem very reactionary to talent. Referenced Armstrong earlier, he was always a top player but ended up being brought in when we were short and having to step up. Lad shouldve been in 10 squads by that point.

Surprises me Scott Gemmil isn't still in the squad sometimes!

Guest ToqueJambo
19 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Aye mate, for me its about getting guys we're sure are the future in and acclimatised early. They dont need to play, maybe off the bench if youre a couple up against San Marino, you know!

We just seem very reactionary to talent. Referenced Armstrong earlier, he was always a top player but ended up being brought in when we were short and having to step up. Lad shouldve been in 10 squads by that point.

Surprises me Scott Gemmil isn't still in the squad sometimes!

Even Tierney and Robertson had to wait too long to be involved. No idea what we have against bringing in lads who are 16, 17, 18 in when they're performing consistently well at a good club level. England, Wales and NI all do it more often.

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even Tierney and Robertson had to wait too long to be involved. No idea what we have against bringing in lads who are 16, 17, 18 in when they're performing consistently well at a good club level. England, Wales and NI all do it more often.

tierney played his first scotland game under a year after he made his celtic debut. debut april 2015, debut march 2016

Man City and AC Milan tracking the high-scoring, two-footed left back. If he keeps trying really hard, he might get picked ahead of Jobby Wan-Kenobby (who admittedly played once for Celtic’s U-11s) in the next Scotland U-21 squad. 

I think Hickey has no intention of playing for Scotland. 
Another couple of years and he’ll qualify for Italian national team with a chance of actually winning trophies 

I very much doubt he would want to go there just to sit on the bench, which is what he would be doing.  
Hopefully he will stay in Italy and prosper even more

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I very much doubt he would want to go there just to sit on the bench, which is what he would be doing.  
Hopefully he will stay in Italy and prosper even more

giphy.gif

Bazzas right boot

Hope he goes for as much as possible to whoever ( assume we have a sell on fee). 

Don't give a **** if it's to sit on the bench or to play. 

If he doesn't go in this summers transfer window and there is no contract extension signed the value of any transfer will Likley start to drop. 

Does any one know if we have a transfer % sell on fee? 

The Grim Reaper
4 minutes ago, Bing1874 said:

I really hope we have a sell on % in place for this boy. 

It was confirmed as a 6 figure sum and not a percentage. 

It's kind of old news to be honest. It's been known for a wee while that Man City are one of the clubs monitoring Hickey. The article linked to is just repeating the old info rather than anything significant having happened.

Personally, I think Hickey would be better not to head to Man City if they put in an offer. He's getting first team football in a major league, developing his skills, and under the tutelage of a a manager who apparently not only admires him but also sees him in the same mould as himself. He has the potential to advance and learn much more where he is at Bologna than on the fringes at Man City which is where he would be.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hope he goes for as much as possible to whoever ( assume we have a sell on fee). 

Don't give a **** if it's to sit on the bench or to play. 

If he doesn't go in this summers transfer window and there is no contract extension signed the value of any transfer will Likley start to drop. 

Does any one know if we have a transfer % sell on fee? 

So it's all about the money to you, not about the advancement and fulfilment of the career of someone who we helped develop?

Just now, redjambo said:

So it's all about the money to you, not about the advancement and fulfilment of the career of someone who we helped develop?

It's all about the money when it comes to ex players :ninja:

Hopefully the six figure sum is just the minimum we'd get in any scenario and there is also a percentage for when it exceeds that sum

part_time_jambo
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Money for Hearts trumps ex-player, who otherwise is no benefit to us, advancing his career every time.

been here before
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Celtic helped to develop him and so will Bologna also when, or if, he moves on.

Are we not suposed to care about money because he used to play for us?

2 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Money for Hearts trumps ex-player, who otherwise is no benefit to us, advancing his career every time.

Exactly i couldn't care if he went to man city or river city..whatever makes us the most is what its all about..personally think this boy will be a 1st team player under pep..6months to a year with pep he will learn more than hes ever learned so far

3 minutes ago, kila said:

It's all about the money when it comes to ex players :ninja:

Hopefully the six figure sum is just the minimum we'd get in any scenario and there is also a percentage for when it exceeds that sum

:) Fair enough. We'll have to disagree on that then. I just see all the squabbling on the Serie Hickey thread about how much we would get, and I would hate to think that we are so hard up that it matters that much to us. The talk about money often drowns out the talk about how well he is doing over there.

Football the beautiful game, or football the means of making money? There may be some who are hypocritical when they look at the major clubs and organisations and accuse them of just being interested in the dosh, when they then want us to do exactly the same but just at a lower level.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Celtic helped to develop him and so will Bologna also when, or if, he moves on.

Are we not suposed to care about money because he used to play for us?

Not at all, but it's a bit of an obsession of some on here. We'll get what we get when he eventually does move on, and whatever we get won't be crucial to our existence as a club. I take more satisfaction in the fact that we helped develop such a good player - a positive light on our club and its training and player development systems.

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Correct.

He'll make the move he thinks is best for him, I hope it brings us lots of cash.

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

He's doing well but come on, he's not Man City level at this stage. 

If Man City want to sign him (big IF) then he is Man City level.

Not sure who plays LB fir MC  they lost Mendy to HMP.

I remember plenty saying the same of Marez, he is still there 4 or 5 years on.

If Pep wants him, he would believe in himself enough to make it.

Stupid move which I doubt he'll make. 

Can see him moving to another Serie A side and then once established there moving to a top 4/5 EPL side. 

Moving this early will only hurt his development. 

15 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It would no doubt be a buy and loan back type of deal

His strategy seems to be to go to the biggest club where he will get first team football. This would be unlikely at City so I assume he would want to stay put for now.

11 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:) Fair enough. We'll have to disagree on that then. I just see all the squabbling on the Serie Hickey thread about how much we would get, and I would hate to think that we are so hard up that it matters that much to us. The talk about money often drowns out the talk about how well he is doing over there.

Football the beautiful game, or football the means of making money? There may be some who are hypocritical when they look at the major clubs and organisations and accuse them of just being interested in the dosh, when they then want us to do exactly the same but just at a lower level.

It's all about money for most players too. And rightly so.

19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why not? Who thought Robertson would be hailed as the best left back in the world when Liverpool signed him from Hull?

Hickey's got real quality, the type that stands a chance of shining when surrounded by top class players.

Man City have 3 full backs. He can cover both sides and even play as a 6 long term. 

He wouldn’t start every game but would get minutes in cup competitions. He’s playing every week in Serie A. Step-up isn’t that big

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Of course it is.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why not? Who thought Robertson would be hailed as the best left back in the world when Liverpool signed him from Hull?

Hickey's got real quality, the type that stands a chance of shining when surrounded by top class players.

While Hickey was playing in Series A at 18/19, Robertson was still at Queens Park at that age. Hickey's been arguably at least as as good as both Tierney and Robertson were as teenagers and he's got more varied top level experience than either had at 18/19. No reason at all he can't have a similar career as both.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

While Hickey was playing in Series A at 18/19, Robertson was still at Queens Park at that age. Hickey's been arguably at least as as good as both Tierney and Robertson were as teenagers and he's got more varied top level experience than either had at 18/19. No reason at all he can't have a similar career as both.

All true. However, whether we face Bologna,City or whatever in Europe next season, if he's playing against us I want Natty Akki to launch him into row N  nout personal.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Yes. 

All about Hearts. 

I'm a Hearts fan, not a Hickey fan. 

I Wish no ill towards Hickey but I don't care about his personal choices or if he plays 1st team football or sits on the bench. 

If he plays 1st team football, runs his  contract down and goes to a big club for free in 2. 5 years that is no use to Hearts at all. 

Hopefully he goes for as much money as possible, best for us and  Hickey won't be complaining either!

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

The more I think about it, I see where you're coming from. Longer term I'll probably come round to this way of thinking but only after the tangible benefits to Hearts are done.

1 hour ago, The Grim Reaper said:

It was confirmed as a 6 figure sum and not a percentage. 

No it wasn't....some random folk on JKB tried to debate and discuss the topic, of that to which they have absolutely no idea and some folk took that to be 'confirmed' 

• davemclaren changed the title to **** Official Premiership Hickey Thread ( merged ) ****