No self respect / backbone

Selkirkhmfc1874

1 minute ago, leginten said:

I asked another poster this. What’s the point of the slogan if it doesn’t represent anything at all different from what other clubs do, i.e. what is in the club’s best interest?

I realise we now have a fairly long tradition of empty words. I was just hoping “Only Hearts” weren’t two more.

Unfortunately you need more than a slogan/hashtag as a definitive guide for action. Good to rally behind but, as I said, people will interpret it differently. 

Does it mean we never again have any player dealings with any club on the ‘blacklist’? What’s the definitive list of clubs in the blacklist? Where do friendlies come into it? What if we need an emergency loan and the only realistic options are clubs on the ‘black list’? 

When we recruit out next manager do we give him a list of clubs we will and won’t do player business with making his job much harder than if he were at a club without such constraints? Is taking such a position really in the club’s best interest?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• iainmac

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Goodwin and St Mirren got the same consideration from the SPFL as we did. None.

They play Celtic during the week in a match which Celtic cannot have postponed again, for reasons of fixture congestion later. That will be the reason that St Mirren were being told to play on without a fit goalkeeper. They wouldn’t have had that game to play if a Celtic player hadn’t broken guidelines and caused the postponement. But no punishment for Celtic.

Excellent description of the irony of it. 👍

Think you have to separate football departments from board decisions .

Almost certain Goodwin was symparthetic towards us .

But , yes , the irony of that quote was eyecatching . Except , of course , to the media

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

You do realise that the responsibility for appointing staff and board members will pass to FoH at some stage soon ?  As I've tried to explain a few pages back, the current anger about the Zlamal loan will pale into insignificance compared to future controversies where big numbers of fans (FoH members) disagree strongly with decisions taken (or not taken) by the FoH appointed board.

I’m well aware of this.

The way FOH carry on, they’ll probably take all their advice from Budge anyway.

Just now, iainmac said:

We didn't have to "battle" with anybody here.. 

All we had to say was "no."

They could have dressed it up if they wanted to by saying "Craig Gordon is carrying an injury", if they so wished. 

But "battle" is being a bit melodramatic in this instance. 

I’ve already said this myself in a previous post. We could have easily raised concerns about player fitness and later availability, and declined. 

“Battle” may well be a bit melodramatic, but judging by the, understandable, anger from some of Hearts’ fans about this, a battle is what some want. I’m just suggesting that we keep our powder dry for a different request or occurrence of more importance to us.

31 minutes ago, JohnB said:

The thought of fans owning and running the club was coursing through my mind. Thankfully I'm on a good anti-depressive. 

😂😂

You think the fans could have contrived to have made as big an arse of it as we've seen in recent years. Christ knows we've been poorly run at times through the decades, but never have we so spectacularly underperformed our budget. 

Still the bigger picture is even though we're in the second tier, one of the teams who voted us there now owe us a favour. 👍

Keep taking the tablets, but try to remember why you need them in the first place.

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Unfortunately you need more than a slogan/hashtag as a definitive guide for action. Good to rally behind but, as I said, people will interpret it differently. 

Does it mean we never again have any player dealings with any club on the ‘blacklist’? What’s the definitive list of clubs in the blacklist? Where do friendlies come into it? What if we need an emergency loan and the only realistic options are clubs on the ‘black list’? 

When we recruit out next manager do we give him a list of clubs we will and won’t do player business with making his job much harder than if he were at a club without such constraints? Is taking such a position really in the club’s best interest?

If it’s so vague, maybe we should replace it.

How about “Only a Slogan”?

3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I’ve already said this myself in a previous post. We could have easily raised concerns about player fitness and later availability, and declined. 

“Battle” may well be a bit melodramatic, but judging by the, understandable, anger from some of Hearts’ fans about this, a battle is what some want. I’m just suggesting that we keep our powder dry for a different request or occurrence of more importance to us.

"Keep our powder dry" - another battlefield analogy. 😜

This was the easiest thing in the world to do - say "no"  to a club that's universally despised by our support and make the SPFL sweat at the same time. 

I have zero confidence that the club are "keeping their powder dry" for some other opportunity down the line. 

This was an open goal - they missed it and alienated a significant chunk of supporters at the same time. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

😂😂

You think the fans could have contrived to have made as big an arse of it as we've seen in recent years. Christ knows we've been poorly run at times through the decades, but never have we so spectacularly underperformed our budget. 

Still the bigger picture is even though we're in the second tier, one of the teams who voted us there now owe us a favour. 👍

Keep taking the tablets, but try to remember why you need them in the first place.

“NUMBER ONE ON TRIP ADVISOR RESTAURANTS, YOU’LL NEVER SING THAT.”

Just now, leginten said:

If it’s so vague, maybe we should replace it.

How about “Only a Slogan”?

🤣 That’s why politicians love slogans. 

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yes, I have nightmares about us ending up in the Championship after Budge leaves

And wasting millions on duff injury prone players sourced off YouTube 🤔?

27 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Very good post !!    It's not our fault if another club felt that Zlamal was the best option to fill in for their quarantined keepers - and we avoid being seen as petty with a grudge.   

So it's nice karma to see a leading dispenser of medicine like Goodwin mumping and moaning at the SPFL for not postponing the match - which he probably  wouldn't have complained about if his team had won.    Enjoy your medicine, Jim - especially this week against your big cousins who run the organisation you're complaining about.   😉

Nah, if we had turned down the offer then it would have been an early statement that we are not going to forget about what happened so easily, especially when said club has been winding us up on their official twitter all week. 

It would also have left St Mirren panicking and turning to the SPFL for help. Good luck with that when you’re due to play celtic on Wednesday. 

What’s the point in us talking about boycotts when the club is acting like this?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

And wasting millions on duff injury prone players sourced off YouTube 🤔?

My main worry is the Skyline restaurant or whatever it’s called. The equivalent of a trophy.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

This was the easiest thing in the world to do - say "no"  to a club that's universally despised by our support and make the SPFL sweat at the same time. 

I have zero confidence that the club are "keeping their powder dry" for some other opportunity down the line. 

This was an open goal - they missed it and alienated a significant chunk of supporters at the same time. 

It’s just crazy, no matter what angle you look at it from. If we had said no the fans would’ve been elated. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

My main worry is the Skyline restaurant or whatever it’s called. The equivalent of a trophy.

Another stupid name, we have a plethora of legends to have named it after. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The club are getting rinsed on twitter for it. I can sense a 2,000 word Budge statement coming, in which we all get blamed for something or other.

Selkirkhmfc1874
41 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Who's owning and running it now, pray tell? 

Fans owned is great if we have the correct people making decisions but quite clearly the correct people aren't currently making correct decisions 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s just crazy, no matter what angle you at or from. If we had said no the fans would’ve been elated. 

"Only Hearts" being replaced with the more accurate "Too Nice To Say No". 

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Fans owned is great if we have the correct people making decisions but quite clearly the correct people aren't currently making correct decisions 

I was just pointing out that we're fan owned and fan run now to the poster that was worrying about being fan run in the future. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, iainmac said:

Only Hearts . . . will let you **** them over and then try to build bridges with you 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈?!?!

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The club are getting rinsed on twitter for it. I can sense a 2,000 word Budge statement coming, in which we all get blamed for something or other.

Check out the Facebook replies too where St Midden fans are ripping the piss out the club.

4BDD1717-4571-401D-B902-5F66D8ECF7DF.jpeg

D21077B4-AE6E-48F9-9FCE-A9CB57F81915.jpeg

476D3253-8AAF-4AA8-A4EA-B88CB5290CEF.jpeg

34EBC52E-E115-464C-8229-DA812A949AFA.jpeg

E5160D16-AE83-4F99-9E7C-70B2A93AEFF6.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Only Hearts . . . will let you **** them over and then try to build bridges with you 🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈?!?!

Not as catchy as mine. 

Must try harder. 😉

6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Or "Would you like fries with that?"

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Check out the Facebook replies too where St Midden fans are ripping the piss out the club.

They are totally justified. 

They've been doing it for months anyway then we come along and hand them a gift. 

The former doesn't bother me but the latter certainly does. 

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

At the time the slogan was released it was easy to interpret its meaning.

Yes we will have to 0lay and deal with these clubs, yes we will have to buy and sell with these clubs, but no we will not help them out when they come calling needing a favour/help.

Really simple to understand/interpret.

Just now, Gambo said:

Yes we will have to 0lay and deal with these clubs, yes we will have to buy and sell with these clubs, but no we will not help them out when they come calling needing a favour/help.

Not if you're deflecting & obfuscating as some are. 

It's really difficult & vague. 

6 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Well, if Hearts were in any doubt about how Hearts fans feel, after all that has happened to us lately, they'll certainly know now. 

Not that they should have been in any doubt. 

My biggest surprise with this is that St Mirren, apparently with the guidance of the SPFL, had the brass neck to ask Hearts in the first place. They must have been left with no choice. 

Hearts should have given a better explanation of why we agreed to this.

Just now, SectionDJambo said:

Well, if Hearts were in any doubt about how Hearts fans feel, after all that has happened to us lately, they'll certainly know now. 

My biggest surprise with this is that St Mirren, apparently with the guidance of the SPFL, had the brass neck to ask Hearts in the first place. They must have been left with no choice. 

Remember this is the club that turned over their club shop to the hooped demons. 

Don't be surprised at the levels they're prepared to stoop to. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, iainmac said:

They've been doing it for months anyway then we come along and hand them a gift. 

Exactly. We are a laughing stock, have been for well over a year. 

The only bridges Hearts owners and players should be mending is with the life blood of the club...the fans.

SFA/SPFL/clubs on our naughty step should be the ones looking to build bridges with us (though i'd hope we would tell them to #$ off) not the other way around.

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

Yup, I couldn't care less what St Mirren fans say about us. Controversially, perhaps, I also think it's well time we put 1986 to rest (although they will still always remain St Liedown).

This isn't about that. This is about their club's actions regarding our ejection from the Premiership earlier this year. The hurt from that episode is still far too raw to be bending over backwards for one of the clubs who consistently voted against reconstruction and vocally disparaged our position.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Either that or we were set up to fail, day no and look petty or allow it and have the fans in uproar. Lose lose situation we were placed in, they had a choice of loads of GKs. Who in their right mind would want that useless *****, apart from a clueless mug like Levein obviously. 

2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

P.S. If the goal is to get Zlamal off the wage bill, the very very last thing we want is for potential suitors to see him in action.

Thanks.  That's the first smile I've had from this latest PR mess.  :biggrin:

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, Boof said:

I can only assume that there's something we're not seeing or being told. 

Surely those in charge can't be naïve enough not to appreciate how this would go down.

Maybe they aren't in a position just now to explain what it is that we'd all like to know...what's in it for us?

Game time for Bobby sounds a bit of a lame excuse to me. If that's all that it is then put me on the 'bad decision' side of the fence.

What else can it be though, what favour can this tinpot fo us? It was bad enough playing them in a friendly to be honest when teams that didn’t **** us over would’ve been happy to play us. 

Toxteth O'Grady

1. Sending a player on a short loan to a club with Covid cases is a stupid risk for no obvious significant benefit.

2. Helping the SPFL avoid the embarrassment of a team starting with an outfield player in goal is beyond belief after the way they treated us.

3.Helping a club which has voted to harm us twice and gloated over our predicament in the press and social media is stupid.

4.Insulting our own fans who bought into the "Only Hearts" campaign is a massive own goal.

Whoever sanctioned the decision should resign now before they do any more harm.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Either that or we were set up to fail, day no and look petty or allow it and have the fans in uproar. Lose lose situation we were placed in, they had a choice of loads of GKs. Who in their right mind would want that useless *****, apart from a clueless mug like Levein obviously. 

Given the choice between upsetting Hearts fans or being called petty by the nitwits of the press or SPFL, upsetting the nitwits it should have been.

We may never know if there was a convincing argument for sanctioning this, but it is a worry that Hearts seem to have been completely unaware of the storm this would cause them from Hearts fans.

Surely, it would have been easy to say we couldn't take the chance on the future fitness of one of our goalkeepers. Why couldn't they get a keeper from another Premiership club? They've all usually got at least 3.

1 hour ago, Nunya Business said:

If you're going to make comments about the intelligence of other posters, posing a question without a question mark is not a good start mate.

It was rhetorical,  thus no question mark. Thanks for helping prove my point.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

What else can it be though, what favour can this tinpot fo us? It was bad enough playing them in a friendly to be honest when teams that didn’t **** us over would’ve been happy to play us. 

I'm as baffled as anyone what we get out of sending one of our squad to a COVID-19 riddled club.

Game freshness? When we're not playing for a month...

Shop window? Playing behind a defence he'll only have met the previous day...

2 hours ago, Rods said:

They both are related. 

Who do you think needed the friendly more Hearts or St Mirren? I would say Hearts needed it badly.  St Mirren have then asked us to reciprocate and we have done so end of story. 

Not got a clue!!! 

19 minutes ago, Gambo said:

That’s one view. Given what others have posted some see it as wider than that.

What’s the balance of benefit/favour in lending young players to clubs on the list?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Hopefully the furious reaction to another head scratching decision by the club will hit home to Ann Budge that decisions to help the rogues that back stabbed us is now totally unacceptable. 

We now have a further problem in off loading a goalkeeper who is a disaster waiting to happen and has shown that again to any potential buyers.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Given the choice between upsetting Hearts fans or being called petty by the nitwits of the press or SPFL, upsetting the nitwits it should have been.

We may never know if there was a convincing argument for sanctioning this, but it is a worry that Hearts seem to have been completely unaware of the storm this would cause them from Hearts fans.

Surely, it would have been easy to say we couldn't take the chance on the future fitness of one of our goalkeepers. Why couldn't they get a keeper from another Premiership club? They've all usually got at least 3.

Or any club down south. 
It is concerning they didn’t think how this would look.

Theres loads of reasons we could’ve given not to send him if they were worried about looking petty. 
Just an awful decision with no positives. 

The Paisley tramps should’ve been told to take a hike.

Dumped on from a great height and then we start handing out favours.

Totally spineless by the club imo.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Boof said:

I'm as baffled as anyone what we get out of sending one of our squad to a COVID-19 riddled club.

Game freshness? When we're not playing for a month...

Shop window? Playing behind a defence he'll only have met the previous day...

If anyone was going to come for him they would’ve already, even a couple of good games for them wouldn’t have made a difference. Celtic might take ten off them, not sure his confidence will be that great. If he needs competitive games are they worried about Gordon? 
As you say it’s baffling. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Hopefully the furious reaction to another head scratching decision by the club will hit home to Ann Budge that decisions to help the rogues that back stabbed us is now totally unacceptable. 

We now have a further problem in off loading a goalkeeper who is a disaster waiting to happen and has shown that again to any potential buyers.

I’m just not sure that it will. If she didn’t know it by now I have doubts if she ever will. 

8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You'd like to think so but it's been one facepalm moment to the next with her in charge. I doubt it will ever change. 

This would be Robbie's decision though but again he has previous for misjudging the fans... Moneyspinner springs to mind. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

All roads lead to Gorgie
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I’m just not sure that it will. If she didn’t know it by now I have doubts if she ever will. 

Her blinkered vision of things or stubborness is spoiling all the good things she has done for the club! A real shame.

Folk going on like Hearts somehow manafactured this situation so we could sook up to St Mirren. I would have told them to bolt but then I would have remembered when we came calling regards a friendly they never told us to bolt. 

The unfortunate thing and which I agree on this incident in isolation would be explainable it’s not in isolation due to several stupid decisions over the last 6 years.