Covid protocols - ‘Govt money wanted’

taylor75

The SPFL have had ample time and they had the perfect opportunity to showcase Football in Scotland with Sky looking to fill slots before the EPL kicked off. They had a fortnight with nothing going on to plead with Sky to show as many games as possible to generate some interest commercially.

As usual they failed miserably and made a complete arse of everything with the help of Celtic and Aberdeen.

Football in Scotland has shot itself in the foot countless times over the years and now with the help of Covid 19 it looks like it's the end for a lot of clubs.

Shame eh, perhaps they should get together and stop thinking about themselves. Aye right.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Nookie Bear

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Pretty pointless as there is zero chance of fans being in stadiums this season tbh 

Correct. We should be demanding now that other clubs shit or get off the pot. It's bad enough that demotion was forced on us but the idea that a tinpot outfit like Alloa should be able to dictate where and when we can play is a nonsense.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I can see the start of the Championship being delayed until January with only two rounds of fixtures (18 games).  Leagues 1 & 2 could be mothballed.

I fear that happening. Think I am will go crazy if that happens, its been hard enough no competitive games for Hearts since March but at least we were about to get games again, however another 3 months would just be torture.

Though problem for clubs is they dont get furlough this time, so they cant just furlough them like they did before.

33 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I fear that happening. Think I am will go crazy if that happens, its been hard enough no competitive games for Hearts since March but at least we were about to get games again, however another 3 months would just be torture.

Though problem for clubs is they dont get furlough this time, so they cant just furlough them like they did before.

I think the BBC contract (for what it’s worth) and last season’s/this season’s ‘give Sellick another trophy’ cup competition will ensure the Championship goes ahead. I can see League 1 & 2 being mothballed though, which ****s Partick and Falkirk even more than they already have been. 

37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Any Championship clubs who can't fulfill their fixtures,  should see their games forfeited. 

They should be replaced with teams that can, Falkirk& Partick ?

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think those hoping for clubs to go bust aren't grasping how precariously our season hangs in the balance.

If the lower leagues are knocked on the head that'll almost certainly include the championship.  So we'll not play and face probably an extra year as a championship club.

If there's no football then it doesn't really matter what league we're playing or not playing in.

Edit: that's assuming there is no leagues running.

Edited by graygo

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correct. We should be demanding now that other clubs shit or get off the pot. It's bad enough that demotion was forced on us but the idea that a tinpot outfit like Alloa should be able to dictate where and when we can play is a nonsense.

That should have been the case since August. The fact that this October start was allowed to manifest itself is a joke.

8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They will have to renegotiate player contracts and ask for fan donations. 

Forcing Hearts into mothballing for another 3 months would be devastating for us and an injustice that I would never forget. 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

but the idea that a tinpot outfit like Alloa should be able to dictate where and when we can play is a nonsense.

Alloa have played friendlies against Kilmarnock and Stranraer in the last 10 days so they've no excuse for not being able to fulfil their fixture against us.

11 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I think those hoping for clubs to go bust aren't grasping how precariously our season hangs in the balance.

If the lower leagues are knocked on the head that'll almost certainly include the championship.  So we'll not play and face probably an extra year as a championship club.

Not if we have to replace clubs in the spl who go to the wall the whole system of the league's will have no choice but be revamped ,IMO we will lose about 2 or 3 spl clubs which ones I don't know but you can bank on at least that number going bust

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That should have been the case since August. The fact that this October start was allowed to manifest itself is a joke.

A fundamental change to the league structure was rushed through in an afternoon. No debate, no papers put forward.

Probably stuck on as AOB on the agenda. 

1 minute ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Not if we have to replace clubs in the spl who go to the wall the whole system of the league's will have no choice but be revamped ,IMO we will lose about 2 or 3 spl clubs which ones I don't know but you can bank on at least that number going bust

We can’t be sure of that and they wouldn’t be replaced until next season anyway.

I reckon all the SPL clubs will limp on for some time yet - at least the new year.  

14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We can’t be sure of that and they wouldn’t be replaced until next season anyway.

I reckon all the SPL clubs will limp on for some time yet - at least the new year.  

Yep as I doubt even the most optimistic premiership chairman/ceo forecasted full capacity between two October and Christmas so we aren’t talking about vast amounts of unexpected lost revenue. The real bite won’t be until after the new year, the rest however, will crumble pretty quickly I’d imagine. 

ToadKiller Dog

Mikey Mellons  is today calling for a national plan to get scottish football through the covid period , if only sombody at his club had thought of that 5 or 6 months ago rather than just setting greedy eyes on  a tannadice full of the ugly sister supporters on 3 or 4 occasions .

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Mikey Mellons  is today calling for a national plan to get scottish football through the covid period , if only sombody at his club had thought of that 5 or 6 months ago rather than just setting greedy eyes on  a tannadice full of the ugly sister supporters on 3 or 4 occasions .

It is so galling that everything Ann Budge tried to do and say since the pandemic happened was mocked or derided, but it has been more leadership than the SPFL and SFA have ever given. 

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

It is so galling that everything Ann Budge tried to do and say since the pandemic happened was mocked or derided, but it has been more leadership than the SPFL and SFA have ever given. 

Edited by Boris

8 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

One hundred percent correct. However she is a WOMAN, in her 70s. What does she know, compared to those intelligent MEN running the game in Scotland.

jamboinglasgow
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

One hundred percent correct. However she is a WOMAN, in her 70s. What does she know, compared to those intelligent MEN running the game in Scotland.

The Ayr United owner made that most clear with his comments but sadly it is too true.

27 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Bad enough from SPLF and club owners.

But our national press had a story, and only wanted to mock Hearts instead of reporting the bigger picture.

12 hours ago, ramrod said:

I would think  it  would be  done on last years league positions . 

The clubs relegated getting the option of reinstating. 

Im sure there would be a few lower league clubs desperate to play regardless of crowds being in stadiums. 

If we don't play at all next season  we should be promoted and the team at bottom of Premiership relegated, and replicated across all leagues.

A 'super' play off week should also be held based on last season's standings.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

If they are looking for the present incumbents at the SPFL to come up with anything like a coherent equitable plan to sort out things in the midst of this pandemic I think he’s barking up the wrong tree. All of them shut their eyes to any sort of plan that would have benefited the game here and helped to mitigate the current mess. I reckon the owners at United are sweating big style having massively over spent. If they don’t manage to shift Shankland for good money they could well be up Shit Creek.

Edited by Deevers

The Mighty Thor
33 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I reckon the owners at United are sweating big style having massively over spent. If they don’t manage to shift Shankland for good money they could well be up Shit Creek.

Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I've said this before. you can picture the ruddy cheeked blazers looking bemused and affronted at a woman having the temerity to suggest sensible solutions to their problems.

A shame and a disgrace that they two facedly told AB to waste time providing them with all the answers they needed on a plate, only to ignore it, pat her on the head and tell her to run along now....  

My first priority is seeing hearts play football.

that said I will laugh my tits off if sides like Dundee Utd go tits up. I wouldn’t be sitting comfortably at hibs either tbh..

AMERICAN owners are not here to lose money.. 😂

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Yep as I doubt even the most optimistic premiership chairman/ceo forecasted full capacity between two October and Christmas so we aren’t talking about vast amounts of unexpected lost revenue. The real bite won’t be until after the new year, the rest however, will crumble pretty quickly I’d imagine. 

Remember most (all?) clubs have sold season tickets so every home game already has paid customers effectively. What the clubs are losing are walk-ups and away fans, and other match-day revenue such as pies, shops etc. That's just as applicable after Xmas as before. Crowds tend to deplete in January/February anyway coz of the weather.

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Correct and don’t hold your breath waiting for anyone to admit it.

8 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

Remember most (all?) clubs have sold season tickets so every home game already has paid customers effectively. What the clubs are losing are walk-ups and away fans, and other match-day revenue such as pies, shops etc. That's just as applicable after Xmas as before. Crowds tend to deplete in January/February anyway coz of the weather.

Are the fans of other clubs moaning their tits add like ours? 

11 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It's started

Highland League: 'Increased risk' new season will not go ahead - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54283276

Clubs in the Scottish Championship, League One and League Two will hold similar meetings with the JRG on Friday

Today has suddenly got a lot darker.

F5 smash-a-thon and not in a good way.

To be fair a lot of fans said there would likely be no crowds till next March. 

If its suddenly a complete surprise, that tells us how Scottish football can't really plan properly. 

16 minutes ago, farin said:

He’s basically laid it out there with clubs needing circa £30k to be able to fulfil their fixtures. With no fans in the grounds there’s no income to do that with. It’s reaching decision time to even start that league up knowing clubs can’t afford to compete in it. 

£30k to fulfil fixtures? doesn't seem an overly large amount at all. surely with fan / benefactor donations / loans that's doable for clubs?

imagine how much pissing of laughter will be done by people outside Scotland asking why we have an sPfl - 'professional' FFS!!!

Edited by Jim Panzee

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Bad enough from SPLF and club owners.

But our national press had a story, and only wanted to mock Hearts instead of reporting the bigger picture.

It was a gift of a cracking story that would have been dynamite but our press would rather trawl message boards for sound bites and keep their buffet lunches than get their hands dirty 

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It was a gift of a cracking story that would have been dynamite but our press would rather trawl message boards for sound bites and keep their buffet lunches than get their hands dirty 

The Scottish football press have a cheek to describe themselves as journalists with one or two exceptions.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The Scottish football press have a cheek to describe themselves as journalists with one or two exceptions.

It’s the abject lack of any sort of moral compass that gets me. They know what they are doing is wrong and in many instances downright corrupt but it never changes. There are two or three who are a credit to journalism - the rest are beyond the pale.

What a wee shame some clubs , who really really enjoyed putting the boot into Hearts , are now finding themselves in the shit 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
If the other teams can’t play their games they forfeit the game with a 3-0 loss* , Hearts could be the first team to “ win” every game on our way to the league title . 

* Leyton Orient have had to forfeit their cup tie against Tottenham H due to Covid 

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

What a wee shame some clubs , who really really enjoyed putting the boot into Hearts , are now finding themselves in the shit 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
If the other teams can’t play their games they forfeit the game with a 3-0 loss* , Hearts could be the first team to “ win” every game on our way to the league title . 

* Leyton Orient have had to forfeit their cup tie against Tottenham H due to Covid 

Agree of course but the problem is that is not how it will work is it.. 

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

If they are looking for the present incumbents at the SPFL to come up with anything like a coherent equitable plan to sort out things in the midst of this pandemic I think he’s barking up the wrong tree. All of them shut their eyes to any sort of plan that would have benefited the game here and helped to mitigate the current mess. I reckon the owners at United are sweating big style having massively over spent. If they don’t manage to shift Shankland for good money they could well be up Shit Creek.

Let's hope so.

I can still recall Asgar on the Saturday Shit Show admitting how much they'd (over) spent to get promotion but were still looking to spend even more - while laughing off the monies put up by James Anderson.

20 minutes ago, farin said:

It'll be an interesting meeting that’s for sure. £30k seems peanuts but it just shows you the margins some clubs work with. 

thats incredibly poor if clubs even at that lower level cannot raise funds to that amount. if they can't then the whole pretence of such clubs being classed as professional needs to stop.  

The newspaper back pages on Wednesday painted a grim picture.

Unnamed top-flight chief executives spoke of clubs folding without government subsidies, while others said teams would disappear by Christmas without fans in grounds.

Some have budgeted for no fans until Christmas - others until the end of the season. But some chairmen claim they could go under within months if the turnstiles remain silent.

"We had a plan A, B and C and Plan A was based on there being no supporters," said Ross County manager Stuart Kettlewell. "I know that's a very pessimistic view but at the time we felt it was realistic.

"There started to be signs of improvement but we knew the situation could change, as it has done. So we're comfortable with there not being supporters coming in the near future and we're braced for it."

That comfort is provided in part by season-ticket and television money, which has allowed Premiership clubs to cover their costs since players returned from furlough, while pay per view streaming has given a further revenue stream.

Indeed, while the top 12 have all been publicly circumspect about how big the take up has been on those, some have observed that their income from 'away fans' this season has actually held up very well given their matchday costs are reduced.

And when the lower leagues start on 17 October, around 70% of those clubs will be able to generate cash too thanks to an Artificial Intelligence system that films, records and produces live and on-demand footage backed by Hollywood producer - and Albion Rovers fan - Mark Millar.

So no Government help means some clubs go under 👍  While some say they need the fans more than government help 👍  

Well we still don't know if the government down south will help yet but we know that fans wont be back soon at least, with a review due mid-October.  

However Ross County seem to have prepared for it, so that's 1 safe.  I think most clubs with sellable assets that can sell while property is hot will make it, providing the buyers buy now :)   Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen.  I could include Kilmarnock who are performing well.  I could include Dundee United as well.   Livingston doing ok.

So that leaves the other lot.  Hamilton, St Mirren, St Johnstone.  :wave1:

20 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Let's hope so.

I can still recall Asgar on the Saturday Shit Show admitting how much they'd (over) spent to get promotion but were still looking to spend even more - while laughing off the monies put up by James Anderson.

Nearly £4 million last season. Though couldn't afford £60,000 legal fees. 

Again its telling no journalists are questioning the model. Dundee United have just been praised mostly.

More £millions till when? 

1 minute ago, farin said:

It’s part timers in the highland league tbh, little better than junior football cash wise. A world away from the world hearts live in financially. 

Don't understand why they can't go amateur for a while.

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Don't understand why they can't go amateur for a while.

exactly.

for these clubs to have any say in the destiny of the elite teams in Scotland is ridiculous. Until they can operate at a certain level, then they should be amateur until such time they can step up a level. (not a dig at amateur run clubs as some are well run within their means) 

Hagar the Horrible

Football a legacy or an obituary

A prodigious quality of thought is this warning of that mariner to the wedding guest. Or it might just prove a placid obituary to the game itself.  Football is heading for an extinction level event, we are sailing into those waters blind.  That captain will kill our game not with a salvo of cannon, but with a gormless grin.

God created the idiot for practice before perfecting the SPFL board.

The majority of clubs marched to the precipice upon a Liewell rousing speech, those whom will regret that the most will be the ones carrying banners.  A gormless miasma of a heard of maggots.

But Scottish football has delivered the best parable of the uneducated showing superior intelligence of the deluded authoritarians and arrogant chairmen. The masses have shown nothing but 20/20 foresight.  Hearts fans in particular, having had the rope cut from our small boat leaving us astray on the outside adrift in the ocean doldrums, we have come to see that they have expelled us into their only lifeboat, while they are taking on water faster than they can pump out.  The very deep did rot: Oh Christ that ev’r this should be, yea slimy things did crawl with legs upon a slimy sea.

You will note I used the term “chairmen” I take pride in not using the term chairperson as that would include Ann Budge who has used her age, experience and womanhood as a weapon and not as an “ism”.  We have all seen the course this ship has set sail for.  We are not screaming we will fall off the end of the world.  What we are saying is we can’t go into the central Atlantic Ocean with a large crew at the time when the doldrums generate little or no wind for the sails. We have all set sail in the good ship SPFL supplied with a can of diet Irn Bru and a packet of prawn cocktail crisps for a six month journey.   I won’t apologise for my personal lack of fondness of those products being used as an example of moral busting sustenance, it makes the point!

Having been on several leadership courses when dealing dishonest behaviour we are taught to deal with the act, its impact rather than the person.  In our case and using Doncaster as the primary protagonist, Our rhetoric should be “you went beyond your scope of responsibility”, “you failed to meet your expertise”, “you did not act with the best interests of the game as a whole, but rather focused on a few”  Doncaster did allow himself to be led rather than show leadership.  All of this is better than being personal,  “Ugly rubber faced fool” , “incompetent” and a liar.  We should not attack the person but rather his actions and only then will those actions demonstrate to all his ethics and competency for all to see.  Confront the behaviour.  

Once we assess the impact of the behaviour and have confronted it.  Then it becomes a time for reflection, we went to court as there was real and provable financial damage.  We never had our day in court as the arena was not of our choosing.  We had to fight in a darkened cesspit, the wrong forum for the wrong war! A platform that allowed those whom act without integrity to continue to do so.  The teaching instruct us to move onto the next phase, be prepared for disappointment, do not fixate on the wrong doings and be emotionally attached to  the bad practices of the SFA/PSFL   We have to learn and deal with the fact that our disappointment is easier to handle than not standing our ground and fighting our corner.  We can and do stand proud, we have shown leadership when there was none, we have shown integrity in an unethical world.  It’s time for us to move on!  Spend our energy on what’s now important and elevate ourselves above it!

But this is the crux of the matter, the problem with all of that is we have been ordered to move on, it has not been our choice, the ownership of that decision only lies with ourselves. The problem with all those teachings is yes it does allow the bitterness to be sweetened, but we are left to lick an open wound that has become infected, and just will not heal.

To move on the protagonist and all the wrong doers have to in some way be accountable even though they can scream VINDICATED, otherwise, the ability to just move on is impossible when you are chained to a wall of their building.  We have been wronged and the worst part is our “Very Able Person” is only truly able in submitting more carnage that once again we will be squarely in the target sights of any action for the good of the game.

Football is now stuck in those doldrums of the mid Atlantic, do we sail south to the Antarctic in mid-winter, back north whence we came, or try East/West for some yet undiscovered land? As static as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.  No we stay where we are, throw those below decks over-board and steal their can of diet Irn-Bru and prawn cocktail crisps.  We cannot unshackle ourselves from those chains when we can all see that further harm is aimed straight at us.  We cannot focus our energy on “Moving on” when further harm is pending.  So in those aspects of Leadership training it is compound bollocks when focussing on the persons actions of unethical behaviour, he didn’t just lie for the greater good, He is a pathological liar hell bent on serving one master.

One would expect Ann Budge is like our sulky sullen dame, gathering her brows like gathering storm, nursing our wrath to keep it warm.  Although I hope the good ship SPFL is heading into that tempest of the perfect storm.  We are in the only lifeboat calm in the eye of the storm, safe as long as we are there.  However it would be preferred if Ann calmly loaded all the diet Irn-bru and crisps onto the lifeboat before we were cast adrift.

We will in all probability once we have piloted ourselves to safer water and arrived at a friendly port, be like that ancient mariner warning the wedding guests of that albatross  Doncaster what evil looks, instead of a cross the Albatross about my neck has hung.

It’s not a binary choice to harness the anger and seek vengeance or act with the coldness of a viper.  We the fans have all the choices. But the club itself I would advise don’t use anger or emotion be cold and unforgiving the ruthlessness of a predator killing for sport rather than necessity.  We can stand tall only then we can we “ Just move on”,  its only then we refrain from gloating,  we do something crueller , we confine our enemies to a far worse fate, we forget them!

The idiocy of mass incompetence of the collective of those chairmen upon the board of broken dreams.  That curse won’t be lifted instead they shall killeth all albatross upon the southern seas. With a heavy thump, a lifeless lump they drop down one by one, Once these clubs die I might not attend their funeral, but I will send a nice letter on how I approve of it. Sportscene will only be aired on the history channel. But no matter how much self-interest, greed and corruption the football authorities and our sycophantic media have demonstrated, the music of their death march will be wonderful.

50 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I wonder how much Orient were bought off for?

54 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

And the LO chairman has said if the same scenario happened, he just wouldn't do the tests.

This is what the very few decent people in football are up against.