Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

People have the audacity to criticise naismith and say he isn't a first team starter 😂 wow, had offers to move away from us but decided to stay, took a wage cut during our tough times. 

Guy is a born winner, leads other players through the game, is a mentor on and off the park, isn't 100% percent fit but played last night, him and walker were rotating positions last night. 

Most teams play with inside forwards / inverted wingers so that the fullback or wingback can overlap to get crosses, into the box similar to what Leeds do and rangers with barsic and Kent creating space for the full back to drive into as Kent has pulled the right back away. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

43 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Apologies if someone has already mentioned this.

There's speculation about a striker being signed, must be a free agent.

Mamadou Thiam was supposedly going to be signed by us under Stendel but it never happened, he is now a free agent and can play on both wings as well.

👍 Few being looked at. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

So what is the reason why no. 9 has been left open? 

As for Naisy, I think he's a big game player and important but at the moment I think Jamie is 1st pick for #10 position on form and we shouldn't shoehorn Naisy in just to start him. 

If anything, I'd have Naisy behind Boyce when we play big games. 

Just now, Jammy T said:

Noticed last night that we didnt have an outball if under pressure in our own half - other than a pass out wide to Ginnelly

We defo need a striker that provides that different dimension IMO - not necessarily the typical type of Levein big lump signing but certainly a "target" man

This sounds like what I have spoken about loads of times in the past regarding Neilson. This used to happen fairly regularly which was why fans got on his back so often. Think back to the Hibs Cup game, 2-0 up, 8 minutes to go and there was no out-ball when the ball was cleared from the danger area meaning Hibs just kept on and on and on it until the inevitable happened. We lost a fair amount of goals by trying to keep what we had, taking midfielders or attackers off and subbing them with defensive-type players. Last night, a weakened Inverness team could've scored late on and it was just luck that they didn't. For me it was a bit of a relief when the final whistle went. Think I would've put Frear on instead of one of the more defensive subs so late in the game to try to take the pressure off the defence.

Hungry hippo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

As for Naisy, I think he's a big game player and important but at the moment I think Jamie is 1st pick for #10 position on form and we shouldn't shoehorn Naisy in just to start him. 

Article says that no-one wanted it.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There will be a striker coming in,

People are genuinely just worried because we didn't pump Inverness last night, Boyce will score goals, Walker will score goals, Naismith will score goals,

The only thing i could question last night was our build up play was far to slow at times, personally speaking i thought we were alot better at that under Stendel, but we got the win and that's all that matters. 

Folk saying Naismith looks finished, when he’s a couple of weeks behind the rest of the squad in fitness terms, after the first game of the season, is the funniest thing I’ve read online today.

Rick Sanchez

It'd be nice to see Naismith the player instead of the talker and mentor. Can't be arsed with him going mental at anyone giving the ball away only for him to do it minutes later. 

Wouldn’t be bothered if he left.

14 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

👍 Few being looked at. 

Any idea if they've all previously played in the UK? A lot of very good free agent strikers who've never played in the UK before.

Makes it much easier to guess who we're looking at if they've all played in the UK previously.

54 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Fake news or genuine. Or just a Barry Anderson clickbait>>>

121039459_1054277895014929_187066199725959586_o.jpg

According to Robbie nobody wanted the number 9.

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

According to Robbie nobody wanted the number 9.

Imagine this place if Wighton asked for it and got it :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Imagine this place if Wighton asked for it and got it :laugh:

More like 99 which is an ice cream with a flake in it.

Byyy The Light
2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

This is all my opinion. Even last season, he didn’t offer much at all. Yes he scored a good goal at tynie against rangers. But his overall play for a while has been poor. Shoe horning Walker on the left to fit Naismith in is a bad choice in my opinion, feel Walker can do more with the ball and also finds better positions to pick the ball up.

I agree with you. Shouldn't be an automatic starter until he regains some form.

32 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

People have the audacity to criticise naismith and say he isn't a first team starter 😂 wow, had offers to move away from us but decided to stay, took a wage cut during our tough times. 

Guy is a born winner, leads other players through the game, is a mentor on and off the park, isn't 100% percent fit but played last night, him and walker were rotating positions last night. 

Most teams play with inside forwards / inverted wingers so that the fullback or wingback can overlap to get crosses, into the box similar to what Leeds do and rangers with barsic and Kent creating space for the full back to drive into as Kent has pulled the right back away. 

People need to realise what they are watching compared to our recent past.  

Plenty teams can pass from back to middle but it breaks down in that crucial last third because they don’t have the quality of player or actually work at what is the most key part of the game!   

I thought we consciously worked at linking the play, nice combinations between players at times, esp Naisy with Walker, it let us move up the pitch and burst into space with promising opportunities.  

It’s early days. I’d have liked a 5-0 skelping but fine tuning is what it’s about when the manager gets to view the team in competitive action. I’d say the last 20 mins was poor though. We fell away. 

I would agree that we appear to be a bit short for strikers but I don't get the criticism of Wighton last night. For all the possession we had, we didn't exactly carve out many decent chances for anyone for that matter. Part of that was due to the fact we only played 1 winger, yet prior to this game RN kept saying he wanted to play 2. Hopefully this was just a one off to get players like Naismith more game time, because playing JW wide left to accommodate Naismith is doomed to failure as witnessed last night.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I am sure we will be putting a few more players out on loan once Robbie knows what his final squad is assuming he may still bring someone else in.

As has been mentioned many times there is a large list of players that Robbie may well have moved on had they beena ble to find other clubs or wanted to leave.

We all know the dangers of giving out long contracts. They can sometimes be good but more often than not when you give 4 year deals to players like Damour it is difficult to move them on.

The good news is that there is a list of players whcdih JamboinGlasgow posted earlier showing how many players are out of contract at the end of this season and I would not imagine more than two or three will be offered new ones.

Something worth noting, with the window now shut the following players will be able to sign pre-contracts in the next window and after.

Christophe Berra

Harry Cochrane

Sean Docherty (U18)

Colin Doyle

Ben Garuccio

Andy Irving

Olly Lee

Leeroy Makovora (Reserve)

Ryan Schiavone (U18)

Michael Smith

Harry Stone

Craig Wighton

Aidy White

Zdenek Zlamel

We should be offering deals to Smith, Irving and Stone. Cochrane needs a good season to get a new deal. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, David Black said:

I would agree that we appear to be a bit short for strikers but I don't get the criticism of Wighton last night. For all the possession we had, we didn't exactly carve out many decent chances for anyone for that matter. Part of that was due to the fact we only played 1 winger, yet prior to this game RN kept saying he wanted to play 2. Hopefully this was just a one off to get players like Naismith more game time, because playing JW wide left to accommodate Naismith is doomed to failure as witnessed last night.

I think he had to good chances, just seems to the wrong thing more often than not. As you say the Walker/Naismith conundrum didn’t help him last night, another winger putting crosses in would’ve created more space and chances. 

10 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Would be very happy with Isma btw.

Too right, he scored plenty goals and actually tried to link with other players. Then we brought in Lafferty who was a greedy **** and Isma’s goal scoring opportunities diminished greatly. 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Andrew/Andy Irving will know that he has finally made it as a Hearts player when people on here get his name right! Lost count of the number of times “Irvine” appeared in last night’s match thread.

I thought it was Irving but changed it as I looked up during a thread  and ever poster had him as Irvine. 

Change it from Irving to Irvine last week as I thought I was wrong. 😳

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We should be offering deals to Smith, Irving and Stone. Cochrane needs a good season to get a new deal. 

Can't disagree with that.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Too right, he scored plenty goals and actually tried to link with other players. Then we brought in Lafferty who was a greedy **** and Isma’s goal scoring opportunities diminished greatly. 

Yip, I preferred Isma over Lafferty. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, I preferred Isma over Lafferty. 

Did he not say he would never come back to Hearts due to the way his partner/wife was shouted at by Hearts fans?

He was a decent player when he could be bothered.

Didn't isma have like a 1 in 2 goal scoring record for us during his first spell ? Would absolutely take him back, would score for fun in the Scottish championship Imo.

19 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Didn't isma have like a 1 in 2 goal scoring record for us during his first spell ? Would absolutely take him back, would score for fun in the Scottish championship Imo.

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

After one game when he wasn’t as match fit as others?

It beggars belief that people are writing him off. I look forward to him making the doubters eat their words.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Is where he should be played. JW certainly seems to have his mojo back but Naismith can and will be a big player for us this season and I hope we’re going to use him as a coach when his playing career is done. He’s a winner and we need winners

Folk haven't just decided Naismith doesn't deserve to start. 2 years of injury, shite performance and moaning has done that. He captained us to the championship. 

He doesn't have the right to call himself a top player, he has to prove he is a top player and he is beginning to look like another expensive has been.

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think he had to good chances, just seems to the wrong thing more often than not. As you say the Walker/Naismith conundrum didn’t help him last night, another winger putting crosses in would’ve created more space and chances. 

RN is going to make a serious mistake if he tries to shoehorn Naismith into every selection. Unless SN is played as a striker, then you cannot play both JW and SN in the same team without one of them suffering and the team suffering. 

5 minutes ago, David Black said:

RN is going to make a serious mistake if he tries to shoehorn Naismith into every selection. Unless SN is played as a striker, then you cannot play both JW and SN in the same team without one of them suffering and the team suffering. 

Testify

We had a bizarre amount of No 10s last season.  

If Naisy can play up front for scotland, he can do it for us. Use him there if Boyce not available, if Boyce plays its Naisy OR Walker 

3 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Testify

If Naisy can play up front for scotland, he can do it for us. Use him there if Boyce not available, if Boyce plays its Naisy OR Walker 

Agreed.

David McCaig
19 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Is where he should be played. JW certainly seems to have his mojo back but Naismith can and will be a big player for us this season and I hope we’re going to use him as a coach when his playing career is done. He’s a winner and we need winners

Walker is certainly the man in possession at present, but hopefully has Naismith snapping at his feels should his form dip.  The big issue is can Walker deliver week in, week out, which we know Naismith can when fully fit.

Even when Walker starts, I would rather see him give his all for an hour and then bring Naismith on for the last 30 minutes.

David McCaig
16 minutes ago, David Black said:

On several occasions the excellent natural instincts of both players led to them getting in each other's way in the penalty area.  A proper left winger (Roberts or Frear) would have created more space the #10, CF and RW.

If Walker really was playing left wing to begin with last night you would have to rate his performance there as atrocious, he either plays as #10 or not at all, at least Naismith has the option to play CF.

Edited by David McCaig

In the championship can we not play with Naismith and Boyce up front with Walker in behind in most games. 

Look at some of the crappy teams we will face in that league ffs. 

As I mentioned in the striker thread it appears that Neilson has no intention of bringing another striker in anyway. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

In the championship can we not play with Naismith and Boyce up front with Walker in behind in most games. 

Look at some of the crappy teams we will face in that league ffs. 

As I mentioned in the striker thread it appears that Neilson has no intention of bringing another striker in anyway. 

You can play that way, but it makes us exceptionally narrow and therefore easier to defend against.

It was the pace and width of Ginnelly that was tearing Inverness apart and a proper left winger would have seen them stretched to breaking point and more goals being scored.

Wighton has about 2 more games to do something. We need to be lining up a deal for a new striker for when Wighton continues to fail to find the net. 

He lacks the bottle to play for a club with expectation. Perhaps he should seek out the Sports psychologist Clare was seeing, because by the end of his time with us Clare was looking a real player. 

KyleLafferty
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

So cause he took a decent wage without bonuses we’ve to play him? He simply hasn’t been good enough for Atleast a year now. Doesn’t score, doesn’t assist. Even his work rate has lowered. Yes he might not be fully fit but has he ever in the time he’s been here? Naismith in my opinion shouldn’t be an automatic starter. I’d rather have pace on both wings, and Boyce is going going to be first choice striker.

From what I’ve seen for a while now the team is more fluid without him in the team.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, David Black said:

It seems that way. 

51 minutes ago, jamboj said:

Testify

Probably. 

5 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Andrew/Andy Irving will know that he has finally made it as a Hearts player when people on here get his name right! Lost count of the number of times “Irvine” appeared in last night’s match thread.

One of our all time greats still gets his name written wrong on here. It does my head in.

John Cumming, btw.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Naismith has been pretty poor in the main and anyone calling him a good motivator only needs to look at last season to know that they’re wrong

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It seems that way. 

Probably. 

I'd like to see Naismith up top, especially if Boyce is out, but perhaps we should wait longer than one game to judge? Neilson is using the LC to do a bit of experimentation in advance of the real stuff - the semi final and the league.

48 minutes ago, OTT said:

Wighton has about 2 more games to do something. We need to be lining up a deal for a new striker for when Wighton continues to fail to find the net. 

He lacks the bottle to play for a club with expectation. Perhaps he should seek out the Sports psychologist Clare was seeing, because by the end of his time with us Clare was looking a real player. 

I agree. Wightons got a chance but it won't be 5-10 games. It's 1-5 games to prove himself or, he's released come the summer. 

Personally didn't think he was that bad.

Yep, he missed a glorious chance but to give him the benefit of the doubt, it was a wee bit behind him, on his weaker foot and at an awkward height and he snatched at it. He should of scored nonetheless but it happens. What is important for him though is to take the next one. 

Also thought our midfield and full backs weren't particularly good enough in creating opportunities and failed to control the game. 

If we play Wighton, we need to create chances by getting into the box, low crosses, cut backs, getting balls in behind or finishing a move on the counter. He's not going to score from a high cross. He's a guy that likes the ball to feet and we didn't provide much in the way of clear opportunities. 

I think it's a bit harsh to suggest that's it over for him after that game. He needs a few games to prove himself and we need to create more and better chances. 

Edited by Cruyff

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Folk haven't just decided Naismith doesn't deserve to start. 2 years of injury, shite performance and moaning has done that. He captained us to the championship. 

He doesn't have the right to call himself a top player, he has to prove he is a top player and he is beginning to look like another expensive has been.

Strictly speaking Halkett was captain when Stendel took over. Naismith has proven he's a top player throughout his career. We're very lucky to have him. If the Championship had started on time and he was fit he'd be in the Scotland squad right now.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

Correct

Rick Sanchez

👏

Couldn't give a toss what he brings off the pitch. Not many other teams worry about that, teams with strong management don't anyway. 

Although he was probably trying to do on the pitch what Levein and his tea boys and note carriers were supposed to be doing while he was off having a punt and they were fannying about.

His dropping of wages has probably earned him another chance. I think we're a big enough club to be playing him where he plays internationally. We shouldn't be relying on him linking the play and talking players through the game, tell them where you want it and put it in the net.

2 years of injury followed by MacPhee and then Stendel not having a clue.

FTFY. Naismith will either be our best creative attacking player, or he’ll be injured.

Naisy hasn't had a decent game  for us for a good wee while including last night . 

Could  be he's finished , could be he's out of form, could be down  to a lack of a run of games .

Either way he has it all to prove again , We and more importantly he deserves better performances on the park . 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Naismith has been pretty poor in the main and anyone calling him a good motivator only needs to look at last season to know that they’re wrong

Tbh, I think it’s strong characters in the main who’ll respond to motivation in the changing room or an on field gee-up.

It’s the managements job to get the right character bred in the team before the captain has to go to work.  The problem in a lot of matches was other players lack of intelligence or certainly lacking the mindset to retain tips and , more importantly, keep concentration. 

Naismith was forever directing Uche or telling midfielders where to be.  It shouldn’t be the case, he shouldn’t have to do that.

Edited by Debut 4

Guest ToqueJambo
44 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Naisy hasn't had a decent game  for us for a good wee while including last night . 

Could  be he's finished , could be he's out of form, could be down  to a lack of a run of games .

Either way he has it all to prove again , We and more importantly he deserves better performances on the park . 

He's still good for a goal every 3 games on average even when coming back from injury or playing for shit managers in teams that are playing badly. In a winning team with a manager that knows what he's doing, he'll be a different player. We don't need him to score all the time, we just need him to be part of a winning team which as of now he is. Fact is though 23 goals and 13 assists in 64 games for us so far - most at a higher level than he'll be playing at this season - is more than decent. Can't see the logic in complaining about the most talented and experienced player on our books.