Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

4 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Robbie said that no one wanted the shirt (Boyce took 10) so I persume thats what he means.

Hmmm.... so our footballers are superstitious to the point of thinking that they'll get more abuse for not scoring while wearing number 9 than for not scoring while wearing any other number ?    If so, why  Is Robbie actually ok with this ?

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

He only signed at Motherwell until January to keep himself in in the shop window and in Scotland contention. Arguably both of those things would have been less possible at Hearts.

I very much doubt we didn't sign him because Neilson isn't aware of him or his abilities anyway.

Neilson was even on a Sportsound panel with ODonnell. Why we would break the bank to sign him when we have Smith is beyond me.  Midfield, goalie, central defence and wide were all way more important.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Hmmm.... so our footballers are superstitious to the point of thinking that they'll get more abuse for not scoring while wearing number 9 than for not scoring while wearing any other number ?    If so, why  Is Robbie actually ok with this ?

Footballers are incredibly superstitious. Lots of fans too. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Footballers are incredibly superstitious. Lots of fans too. 

It would appear so.   Quite strange though.  Gary  Lineker revealed recently that if he didn't score in the 1st half, he'd demand a fresh shirt (same number though)  at half-time in the belief that the shirt had something to do with it.  :wow: 

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

It would appear so.   Quite strange though.  Gary  Lineker revealed recently that if he didn't score in the 1st half, he'd demand a fresh shirt (same number though)  at half-time in the belief that the shirt had something to do with it.  :wow: 

I remember Manchester United completely changed strips at half time as Fergie believed it was responsible for the first half performance

12 minutes ago, bazman said:

I remember Manchester United completely changed strips at half time as Fergie believed it was responsible for the first half performance

It wasn’t superstition though. They couldn’t distinguish each other and see their teammates. 

Still lost though. 🤓

7 hours ago, jambonian said:

There was a perfectly good right-back available in the summer but typically of Hearts in recent years, we didn't go and get him. Steven O'Donnell would've been a great signing. A Scotland right-back that likes to get forward, decent tackler and was handy for scoring a good few goals for Killie when he was there. Our loss is Motherwell's gain, unfortunately but, not uncommon in recent years when it comes to our scouting.

Feel free to take this with a pinch of salt but my jambo neighbour is friends with O'Donnell's father and told me that he was in talks with Hearts but a contract offer relied on certain players moving on plus other financial circumstances that weren't resolved in July. In the end he couldn't wait about and signed a short-term deal with Motherwell. It is interesting that he only too a 6-month deal with them though – I do wonder if we'll be back in for him in January. 

Regarding your thoughts on our 'scouting', I have to agree. Hearts should definitely have been in for players like Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, Shankland and Big Arse McGinn in the last few years. 

2 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

It wasn’t superstition though. They couldn’t distinguish each other and see their teammates

Still lost though. 🤓

.... which makes a mockery of why Hearts played a couple of games wearing that black strip last year.    The players would have had to take an extra second or 2 to look up to find a team-mate.  Ridiculous.    You can see why clubs go for these fluorescent colours  like yellow.

5 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Feel free to take this with a pinch of salt but my jambo neighbour is friends with O'Donnell's father and told me that he was in talks with Hearts but a contract offer relied on certain players moving on plus other financial circumstances that weren't resolved in July. In the end he couldn't wait about and signed a short-term deal with Motherwell. It is interesting that he only too a 6-month deal with them though – I do wonder if we'll be back in for him in January. 

Regarding your thoughts on our 'scouting', I have to agree. Hearts should definitely have been in for players like Kenny McLean, Lewis Ferguson, Shankland and Big Arse McGinn in the last few years. 

Damour ?

9 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Feel free to take this with a pinch of salt but my jambo neighbour is friends with O'Donnell's father and told me that he was in talks with Hearts but a contract offer relied on certain players moving on plus other financial circumstances that weren't resolved in July. In the end he couldn't wait about and signed a short-term deal with Motherwell. It is interesting that he only too a 6-month deal with them though – I do wonder if we'll be back in for him in January. 

Yep, almost certainly a January signing likely. Smith will depart and O’Donnell, signed by Killie when Elbows was manager, will likely join Hearts. Didn’t come to us in summer because we were waiting for the Hickey cash and the fact that Clarke wouldn’t select him if in the championship. 

10 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Aye, a bang average player who was poor in a team that was relegated, who now plays in the Scottish Championship is as good as Scotlands first choice RB. Talk about maroon tinted specs. :laugh2:

It’s a weird opinion you have but your evidence to back it up is pretty weird too.

O’Donnell is part of a Motherwell team who are currently struggling and Smith plays for Northern Ireland.

For what it’s worth, I think O’Donnell is a decent player. Smith is just better.

tartofmidlothian
31 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Seems a no-brainer that he's keeping busy until Smith probably goes at the end of his contract.

47 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It’s a weird opinion you have but your evidence to back it up is pretty weird too.

O’Donnell is part of a Motherwell team who are currently struggling and Smith plays for Northern Ireland.

For what it’s worth, I think O’Donnell is a decent player. Smith is just better.

M. Smith wasn't even considered Hearts best performing RB last season. 

Edited by Cruyff

On 03/07/2020 at 21:30, dazajmbo said:

a loan signing from Arsenal. 

You got a name for this one? I can see what I can find out from local Gooners here in Kentish Town. 

14 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

She either doesn't live there full time, or she works shifts, or she works away, because she is definitely not always there. I follow them both in Instagram and they both post regularly about it being X amount of days until they see each other, or about missing the kids. 

M. Smith has about 4 or 5 posts only since June.

Mrs Smith has a dozen or so typical mum posts.

Only mention of him being away was on his birthday. M Smith was on Northern Ireland duty.

Edited by Alan_R

11 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Think we're retiring the 9 shirt in honour of Conor Washington

I didn't think he was great but I'd feel a whole lot better if we still had Washington now. 

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

M. Smith wasn't even considered Hearts best performing RB last season. 

He was our best player last season, never mind right back.

Stop talking absolute nonsense.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Smith is a good player who seemed to be sucked down by the general standard of the team last season. He’ll be off next summer though.

17 hours ago, jambonian said:

All about poor scouting

I am liking the wingers we have signed ... its the striking options they have for delivering balls into that worry me

Smith already 32, his best years behind him. O'Donnell in his prime. It would be a sensible replacement, similar types of right backs.

Would love to keep Smith as experienced back up but wouldn't break the bank for it.

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He was our best player last season, never mind right back.

Stop talking absolute nonsense.

M. Smith was less horrendous than most. I'd certainly give you that.

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Smith already 32, his best years behind him. O'Donnell in his prime. It would be a sensible replacement, similar types of right backs.

Would love to keep Smith as experienced back up but wouldn't break the bank for it.

Correct.

Smith should be moved to Centerhalf to get a couple more years out of him. 

Right......own up........

Who has got completely confused with Sean Clare just being less garbage at RB than in midfield with the same Sean Clare being our best RB last season ?

14 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Right......own up........

Who has got completely confused with Sean Clare just being less garbage at RB than in midfield with the same Sean Clare being our best RB last season ?

Sean Clare, 10 games at RB and 3 goals. 

M. Smith 18 games at RB and 1 goal. 

:greggy:

Edited by Cruyff

Sean Clare had a run of games at right-back, during which we were even more of a defensive shambles than usual. One one of the rare occasions he actually tried to do some defending, he clumsily conceded a penalty against Hamilton, after which we put Michael Smith back in that position and immediately looked much more solid.

O'Donnell isn't Scotland's first choice at right-back by the way, Liam Palmer is. The reason O'Donnell is second choice is the same reason Paul McGinn is now apparently third choice - our options there are shite. Also, Steve Clarke's his da.

Having said all that, I do think Michael Smith is arguably our best centre-back, and that he's probably better there than at right-back. I also think O'Donnell is a good attacking full-back at our level, and that signing him and moving Smith inside would be a good move.

Morgaro Gomis
11 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Regarding SOD, I heard similar through a third party who knows his father.

Was told he was keen to work with Neilson and was happy to join Hearts if we could manage it but his first choice was England (which obviously fell through, probably due to the introduction of wage caps). 

Glad I didn’t post what I’d been told at the time as I was confident we’d sign him, and it obviously didn’t happen. Still a chance it could, though.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Firstly, the main job of a right back is to defend well rather than score goals and secondly, taking penalties well does not change your ability to play right back. 

52 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Firstly, the main job of a right back is to defend well rather than score goals and secondly, taking penalties well does not change your ability to play right back.

Most of the best RB's these days are more attack minded than defensive players, who's main duty is to provide width and to deliver crosses into the box. Robertson and Arnold at Liverpool for example assisted 28 times and scored 6 times between them last season. I wouldn’t say either of them are particularly great defenders. 

Secondly. Only one of Sean Clare goals when playing RB came from the penalty spot. That was v Kilmarnock in a 2-3 defeat at home. 

And lastly, Stendel utilised him over Smith at RB because he offered more going forward and the Oxford manager signed him based on his performances at RB, so he must have been doing something right. 

Edited by Cruyff

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Congratulations.......you’re today’s Straw Clutching Champ.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Bobby Zlamal  GK   1 career goal

Iker Casillas    GK    0 career goals

Bobby Zlamal is a better goalkeeper than Iker Casillas.

41 minutes ago, johnnythejambo said:

Think i would rather develop Cammy Logan for right back otherwise what's the point of an academy 

Neilson was quite specific recently .

If , for example , we have a 16/17 year old capable of stepping up in a year or two we wouldn't be signing someone else long term 

Logic tells you Smith would be looking to head down south at the end of his contract

In an ideal world it would be great to keep him but suspect he'll get a decent deal near his family

28 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Congratulations.......you’re today’s Straw Clutching Champ.

That's the sign of someone that has nothing better to comeback with. 👍 

17 minutes ago, RDSK said:

Bobby Zlamal  GK   1 career goal

Iker Casillas    GK    0 career goals

Bobby Zlamal is a better goalkeeper than Iker Casillas.

Oh dear. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

That's the sign of someone that has nothing better to comeback with. 👍 

I just felt that was more than adequate tbh.

Clare better than Smith.........it’s a step beyond laughable.

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I just felt that was more than adequate tbh.

Clare better than Smith.........it’s a step beyond laughable.

A piss poor effort more like. 

I'm sure Sean Clare laughing his tits off at getting a move based on his performances at RB while M. Smith's playing in the Scottish Championship. 

I think that tells its own story. 

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Sean Clare had a run of games at right-back, during which we were even more of a defensive shambles than usual. One one of the rare occasions he actually tried to do some defending, he clumsily conceded a penalty against Hamilton, after which we put Michael Smith back in that position and immediately looked much more solid.

O'Donnell isn't Scotland's first choice at right-back by the way, Liam Palmer is. The reason O'Donnell is second choice is the same reason Paul McGinn is now apparently third choice - our options there are shite. Also, Steve Clarke's his da.

Having said all that, I do think Michael Smith is arguably our best centre-back, and that he's probably better there than at right-back. I also think O'Donnell is a good attacking full-back at our level, and that signing him and moving Smith inside would be a good move.

I like the sound of this tbh. Smith is a great player for us. Our failings last season fall squarely on the shoulders of Pereria (imo). Yes, our training was poor, the mentality was dire and the tactics amateurish, but that should have set us up for another underwhelming season. Pereria ensured every mistake was punished with a goal. It was like building a house on quicksand. How are the players going to be comfortable taking risks when they know 1 stray pass = a goal? Bloody horrible season. 

On smith though, Height obviously an issue but versatility and quality is undeniable. When he’s played at the back he’s been every bit as solid as our proper centrebacks. Popescu here now though, so maybe be tough to do. But have no qualms about him filling in there ahead of others. Also suggests a back 3 could be tried if needed. 

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Why not? 

19 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

A piss poor effort more like. 

I'm sure Sean Clare laughing his tits off at getting a move based on his performances at RB while M. Smith's playing in the Scottish Championship. 

I think that tells its own story. 

Such a black and white perspective......

Take the blinkers off.....the only reason Clare was in the side was because we had no other CM or CH. If Haring was fit Smith would have been at RB and Clare would have been benched.

He is not and never has been a better RB for Hearts than Smith.

Bazzas right boot

I've said from day one that O'Donnell will be at Hearts in January.

Why, during the midst of a pandemic, when players are struggling to get clubs would you sign for Motherwell for six months? Purely to keep his place in the Scotland squad.

I'm sure Motherwell would have liked more than six months but he's confident enough to go short term. I'd imagine he's already agreed to come to us.

36 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Why not? 

Just my opinion - but it smacks of fear masquerading as a player's daft superstitions. Surely we'd want players who are confident in their own ability instead of that ?   

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Such a black and white perspective......

Take the blinkers off.....the only reason Clare was in the side was because we had no other CM or CH. If Haring was fit Smith would have been at RB and Clare would have been benched.

He is not and never has been a better RB for Hearts than Smith.

Stendel could have chosen to play M. Smith at RB regardless of the options available. He didn't because he wanted a better attacking option at full back and recognised Smith's limitations in that position. It didn't always work well but

Clare certainly offered far more than Smith did going forward. He is a technically better footballer and a better athlete, which is why he got a move to Oxford. 

MS is certainly by far a better defender. I've never said otherwise and always believed that his best position is at Centerhalf because that is where his best games for Hearts have been. His positioning is good and he reads the game well. 

As a RB however he is very limited to the defensive side of the game and doesn't offer much as an attacking outlet, something Clare did do when played at RB. 

Don't get me wrong, M. Smith has been a decent player for us but he has no future at Hearts as a RB. He's also been part of the poorest Hearts squads in my lifetime during his 3/4 seasons here. A Decent defender but imo the reason why we've been so shit for so long is because we have too many limited footballers like M. Smith. 

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Just my opinion - but it smacks of fear masquerading as a player's daft superstitions. Surely we'd want players who are confident in their own ability instead of that ?   

I couldn't care either way Tbh. 

31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Stendel could have chosen to play M. Smith at RB regardless of the options available. He didn't because he wanted a better attacking option at full back and recognised Smith's limitations in that position. It didn't always work well but

Clare certainly offered far more than Smith did going forward. He is a technically better footballer and a better athlete, which is why he got a move to Oxford. 

MS is certainly by far a better defender. I've never said otherwise and always believed that his best position is at Centerhalf because that is where his best games for Hearts have been. His positioning is good and he reads the game well. 

As a RB however he is very limited to the defensive side of the game and doesn't offer much as an attacking outlet, something Clare did do when played at RB. 

Don't get me wrong, M. Smith has been a decent player for us but he has no future at Hearts as a RB. He's also been part of the poorest Hearts squads in my lifetime during his 3/4 seasons here. A Decent defender but imo the reason why we've been so shit for so long is because we have too many limited footballers like M. Smith. 

If we’d had more players like Smith we wouldn’t have been so poor over these seasons......he has been up and around our POTY for almost his entire time here.

Guys like Smith are there to allow the better more skilful and attacking players to go forward without having to worry about what’s going on behind them.

As a RB in a back 4 he is solid if unspectacular. Clare is not solid as a RB nor he is spectacular. He was shoehorned into the team after being dropped for being a huddy.

Smith has been great in 2 positions for us whilst Clare wasn’t even anything above average in any position he played.

Smith over Clare any day of any week.

Edited by DH1986

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If we’d had more players like Smith we wouldn’t have been so poor over these seasons......he has been up and around our POTY for almost his entire time here.

Guys like Smith are there to allow the better more skilful and attacking players to go forward without having to worry about what’s going on behind them.

As a RB in a back 4 he is solid if unspectacular. Clare is not solid as a RB nor he is spectacular. He was shoehorned into the team after being dropped for being a huddy.

Smith has been great in 2 positions for us whilst Clare wasn’t even anything above average in any position he played.

Smith over Clare any day of any week.

MS has been great everytime he's played CB maybe. RB, solid but that's about it. 

I personally prefer seeing full backs offer more going forward than what Smith does. 

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I've said from day one that O'Donnell will be at Hearts in January.

Why, during the midst of a pandemic, when players are struggling to get clubs would you sign for Motherwell for six months? Purely to keep his place in the Scotland squad.

I'm sure Motherwell would have liked more than six months but he's confident enough to go short term. I'd imagine he's already agreed to come to us.

If he comes in January it will only be if we are top of the league with promotion looking assured. 

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If he comes in January it will only be if we are top of the league with promotion looking assured. 

A big IF but it would also be dependent on i) no other offers from the English Championship and ii) If Scotland beat Serbia I suspect the best we could hope for was a pre contract and him extending at Motherwell to the end of the season to ensure a spot in the Euro squad. 

Granted beating Serbia is probably unlikely though! 

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

How do you know we didnt offer him terms and he knocked us back?

Maybe if he joined a championship side he wouldnt have been playing for Scotland 

last night.

How would you know if we did offer him terms? You'd expect the money would've been better than what he would get at Motherwell, even Killie before then so i'd be more inclined to believe Hearts didn't come in for him. Even if we did (in this current climate) you'd surely come here for more cash. If Boyce and Smith can still be called up to their national squad there's no reason to believe O'Donnell wouldn't have. Someone else said that Steve Clarke wouldn't want to pick from the Championship (like we're loaded with players in that position) yet he called up Shankland when Utd were in the Championship.

The point is though that if Smith leaves then we're left with Brandon. If and when O'Donnell is free to sign for a club you have to ask if Hearts would be interested. Certain other clubs do seem (or have been) more inclined to sign these types of players in recent times. Partly the reason they are where they are and we're in the Championship.

Just now, Disco Ball said:

I am liking the wingers we have signed ... its the striking options they have for delivering balls into that worry me

The jury's still out on the wingers as yet (not a bad thing) but it is indeed better to have these options compared to last season. Yes, I have said in few responses we do need to find a striker from somewhere to get on the end of any crosses. It will be a concern if balls are coming in and no-one's putting chances away.