Hearts transfers (Cochrane goes on loan to Montrose)

dazajmbo

David McCaig
3 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I agree defo a striker light unless Naisy is played up top on a regular basis. He leads the line really well, however fitness will be his issue

I think Naismith will be competing with Walker for the #10 role, but centre forward is where he tends to play for Scotland, so a more than capable option.

We are in the Championship with two internationals to pick from up front... Not a bad state of affairs.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff

• Bazzas right boot

17 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Having 2 out of Walker, Naismith and Boyce available is important... Its up to Wighton to turn that 3 into 4, which means we have 4 players chasing 2 places.

I don't think Halkett  is that great player, personally I think Smith is a better centre back.

Halkett should be ok defensively in this league. But he does chip in with a few goals. Smith is our best defender for sure. Naismith's fitness history has to be a huge concern for all of us.

2 minutes ago, bazman said:

I don't get this keeping halkett fit thing. He missed 7 games due to torn knee ligaments last year that's it. Not like it's lots of niggly injuries

Not getting injured. A better choice of words.

The Old Tolbooth
53 minutes ago, bazman said:

I don't get this keeping halkett fit thing. He missed 7 games due to torn knee ligaments last year that's it. Not like it's lots of niggly injuries

And before that, Halkett hadn't been out with injury at any time in his career, so he's not injury prone at all. 

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Neilson is on record as saying that Roberts can play up front, how many options do we need for the lone striker role in a 4231?

I would suggest that 3 in Boyce, Naismith and Wighton is more than sufficient with Roberts able to cover in an emergency.

I’d suggest not one of the strikers can play effectively up front on their own, possibly Boyce if he has the legs and I don’t know much about Roberts so maybe him. I don’t think we need 2 holding midfield players in this league so we could easily play one up and one just off. In this league it shouldn’t really matter too much what the exact set up is. I expect we’ll get lots of room and lots of width most weeks so it’s all about the finishing from those running into the box

The Treasurer

I'm not in the "we're going to stroll this league" camp but I feel, with the squad we have we should be able to rotate personnel (or rest certain players) on a regular basis. Meaning the likes of Naismith will not be required to play every game

David McCaig
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d suggest not one of the strikers can play effectively up front on their own, possibly Boyce if he has the legs and I don’t know much about Roberts so maybe him. I don’t think we need 2 holding midfield players in this league so we could easily play one up and one just off. In this league it shouldn’t really matter too much what the exact set up is. I expect we’ll get lots of room and lots of width most weeks so it’s all about the finishing from those running into the box

Andy Irving, Olly Lee and Peter Haring are much more than just holding midfielders, with all 3 having goals in their locker.

Liam Boyce is absolutely perfect for the lone striker role in a 4231 with 2 genuine wide men firing crosses into the box and either Walker or Naismith offering support.

Surely our set-up is everything and the key thing for this season is we have wingers who will stay wide and give us genuine width.

Just now, The Treasurer said:

I'm not in the "we're going to stroll this league" camp but I feel, with the squad we have we should be able to rotate personnel (or rest certain players) on a regular basis. Meaning the likes of Naismith will not be required to play every game

I think centre backs and striker are about the only positions we aren't in a position to rotate. And I'm never keen on rotating CB's anyway, you want them to have an understanding with each other and the goalie.

That being said, you'd like to think Boyce could be rested and Wighton play when it comes to the likes of Arbroath at home etc.

We've got two players available for every position bar center back. 

The two at center back, Halkett and Popescu hardly got rave reviews last season. This is our area of weakness until proven otherwise.

We've scored goals during pre season, our attacking options are good. 

5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The two at center back, Halkett and Popescu hardly got rave reviews last season. This is our area of weakness until proven otherwise.

Agree - this has felt like our weakest area right through the close season for me.   I know it's the Championship but with Souttar and Berra out we are looking light.   Also want to see us have a good go at the Cups but not overly confident because of the defence - that said we have a proper keeper for a change!   

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

We've got 4 centre backs tbf but two of them are injured.  I still think we are weakest in midfield.  If we we're starting a Premier League season I'd be desperately looking for another midfielder.

David McCaig
17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I thought Popescu did get rave reviews at St Mirren?

2 hours ago, Paul Shark said:

Looking at the squad as it stands. Being able to keep Halkett, Walker and Boyce all fit is going to have a huge baring on our season.

Yes

I'd add Haring and Naismith to the list and getting Souttar back at some point before May

David McCaig

Just watching Robbie's press conference and its interesting that as a Championship club we still allowed to sign players on Loan outside the transfer window.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 hours ago, Coco said:

So overall window record in terms of squad available last season Vs this season if I've got them all.  Some very welcome departures like Maclean.  Looks like significant cost cutting and other than goalie and centre midfield a weakening of squad on paper (albeit last year's was garbage on the park).  Wide players who knows but they are replacing Clare who was one of the better players last year.  Uche and Washington at least offered options last year and haven't been replaced.

In

Gordon

Stewart

Popescu

Halliday

Lee

Frear

Ginnelly

Roberts

Out

Doyle

Pereira

Hickey

Dikamona

Burns

Clare

Morrison

Bozanic

Langer

Sibbick

Avdijaj

Uche

Washington

MacLean

MacDonald

Meshino

Overall, reasonably happy with the business done, considering we’ve gone down a division and covid has caused havoc in the market. Only miss is that Damour is still here but maybe Neilson will get a tune out of him. 

Could nitpick and say we’re a bit light up front and maybe lacking cover at the back, but we’ve got enough there to win the division we’re in. Craig Gordon will have his eye on beating Jon McLaughlins clean sheet run, and Boyce, Naismith, Walker and Wighton should all be looking at healthy double figures. I expect possibly Lee, Halliday, Haring, Frear, Roberts all to make good contributions to the goal tally as well. There’s a lot of good options there. Smith will chip in with goals and good crosses and in Halkett and Berra we’ve got to have the 2 biggest aerial goal threats from set pieces in the division so they can aim for 5 each, and hopefully Popescu follows suit. Overall we have enough to average 2-3 goals a game which wins you this division.

Squad certainly not good enough for the premiership but we have shipped a lot of deadwood and ensured there’s enough there to be at least 5-10 points clear come the January window, and we can see what we need then. 

17 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Yes

I'd add Haring and Naismith to the list and getting Souttar back at some point before May

It would be great if Haring was finally over his injury problem and we could get 20 games out of him this season. Naismith has been struggling since he joined us. At his age I doubt much is going to change. Haring hopefully, can kick on and stay injury free. Highly unlikely Naismith will ever play 10-15 games in a row again.

29 minutes ago, WageThief said:

We've got 4 centre backs tbf but two of them are injured.  I still think we are weakest in midfield.  If we we're starting a Premier League season I'd be desperately looking for another midfielder.

Yeah, Berra is out for 6-8 weeks. Soapy is out from 3-6 months depending on  his recovery .

If we were starting the Premier League then we'd need a number of better players throughout the team. 

27 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I thought Popescu did get rave reviews at St Mirren?

He was at St Mirren 2018/19.

At Steaua he was described as the worst player they've ever had by some of their support. 

42 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Agree - this has felt like our weakest area right through the close season for me.   I know it's the Championship but with Souttar and Berra out we are looking light.   Also want to see us have a good go at the Cups but not overly confident because of the defence - that said we have a proper keeper for a change!   

Gordon certainly makes a difference but yeah, we should skoosh the Championship with the players we have. Like yourself however, I want us to win all the cups so our defence will at some point be put to the test vs. SPL opposition. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Overall, reasonably happy with the business done, considering we’ve gone down a division and covid has caused havoc in the market. Only miss is that Damour is still here but maybe Neilson will get a tune out of him. 

Could nitpick and say we’re a bit light up front and maybe lacking cover at the back, but we’ve got enough there to win the division we’re in. Craig Gordon will have his eye on beating Jon McLaughlins clean sheet run, and Boyce, Naismith, Walker and Wighton should all be looking at healthy double figures. I expect possibly Lee, Halliday, Haring, Frear, Roberts all to make good contributions to the goal tally as well. There’s a lot of good options there. Smith will chip in with goals and good crosses and in Halkett and Berra we’ve got to have the 2 biggest aerial goal threats from set pieces in the division so they can aim for 5 each, and hopefully Popescu follows suit. Overall we have enough to average 2-3 goals a game which wins you this division.

Squad certainly not good enough for the premiership but we have shipped a lot of deadwood and ensured there’s enough there to be at least 5-10 points clear come the January window, and we can see what we need then. 

All this will happen if we set out on the front foot and dominate teams the way we should be at this level. I am sure Robbie wants that and i really hope to see us sticking the knife in as often as we can this season (and beyond).

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

We are two matches away from the premier cup competition in our country.

The first of those two matches is against Hibs. A fixture that lost Neilson a lot of support from a reasonable number of Hearts supporters.

Neilson has won the Championship twice now already, and he will have a very good idea of what’s required, and whether or not we are there yet.

Managerial careers can suddenly fizzle out and die, and you can find yourself at smaller and smaller clubs with less and less to spend against stronger opposition very quickly. Neilson will know that semi-finals and a crack at a trophy don’t come around very often at the clubs he has experience of managing.

With everything that has been done to Hearts recently, I think Neilson will realise that the cup is the ideal opportunity to bring the support to him.

All just my opinions though. I just think he will see last season’s Scottish Cup as a very big priority right now.

Spot on, he said yesterday that the cups are important this season too so you have to take him at his word and believe it when he talks of winning them. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on, he said yesterday that the cups are important this season too so you have to take him at his word and believe it when he talks of winning them. 

Match fitness , competitive games played are major handicaps for the semi final 

Huge achievement if we win

David McCaig
1 minute ago, Le Chat said:

If we don't bring in an out of contract striker in the next week we'll live to regret it imo.

Or alternatively we can still loan a match fit striker if we want.  As a Championship club we are allowed to loan outside the transfer window.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

We've been up against the odds against that shite house mob of pish and beat them before, we’ll do it again. 

8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We've been up against the odds against that shite house mob of pish and beat them before, we’ll do it again. 

The Stevenson winner at their place a great example of this.  No one gave us a chance that night.  That and our relegation party a few weeks after they tried to have one.  We have a hold over them and they know it.  Seconds before ozturks equaliser they were celebrating.  Never worry about that lot.  

Neilson does usually take advantage of the free agent market after the window shuts. Pallardo and Djoum spring to mind, but sure there’s more.

I expect a signing or two in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Uncle Buck

46 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yep. Without putting to fine a point on it, we should be absolutely pissing the Championship with the players we have, and two games away from winning the big cup, and all that that would mean for the team, the fans and the club... surely people realise that its a huge priority for us?

Look at the balance of the squad compared to last season. It's night and bloody day. It's not so much a team built to get out of the championship, its a team built to absolutely skoosh the Championship, which we will. We have more than enough about us to do that, but we also have players that can compete in the semi final and the final of the Scottish Cup. Anyone who doesn't think the cups have had a bearing on the signings we have made is not paying much attention imo. We had a team that would get us out of the Championship before Halliday signed. Neilson has assembled and retained a balanced team of players who could mostly be playing at top six Premiership sides.

I think we will beat Hibs in the semi, and I think we will have a fair shout v whomever we meet in the final.

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Surely our set-up is everything and the key thing for this season is we have wingers who will stay wide and give us genuine width.

I’d say our attitude is far more important than where the players start on the tactics board We need to start games on the front foot. Something we haven’t done since the last time in the championship. We need to be playing quicker and crisper because we’ve been far too easy to play against when we’ve been ponderous and deliberate and cautious. If we see a hint of the attitude we had last season we’ll be in trouble. If we play away from home in particular in that compact over cautious manner, we’ll get picked off time after time. This isn’t a team that’s going to be great defensively under pressure, so let’s not invite it.

1 up, 2 up, 3 in midfield attacking positions, wingers both sides, a diamond or a straight 4-4-2. None of it really matters if you haven’t got players that care about winning. That’s the key for me.

Edited by JimmyCant

6 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

I think we will beat Hibs in the semi, and I think we will have a fair shout v whomever we meet in the final.

This is based on what ?

We haven’t even played a competitive match yet.....our starting XI for that day haven’t even played together and may well not until match day.

With all this is mind you’ve somehow deduced we’re really well placed to beat 3 of the top 4 teams in the country ?

David McCaig
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d say our attitude is far more important than where the players start on the tactics board We need to start games on the front foot. Something we haven’t done since the last time in the championship. We need to be playing quicker and crisper because we’ve been far too easy to play against when we’ve been ponderous and deliberate and cautious. If we see a hint of the attitude we had last season we’ll be in trouble. If we play away from home in particular in that compact over cautious manner, we’ll get picked off time after time. This isn’t a team that’s going to be great defensively under pressure, so let’s not invite it.

1 up, 2 up, 3 in midfield attacking positions, a diamond or a straight 4-4-2. None of it really matters if you haven’t got players that care about winning. That’s the key for me.

Personally, I think where players start is incredibly important and attitude should be a given.

Width is the key to breaking down stodgy sides who pack their defence and you only get width if you have players who are actually prepared to stay wide.

Last season under Stendel’s was the prime example of a Manager opting for tactics straight out of clown school and managing to turn us into a team which was considerably less than the sum of its parts.

For me its 4231 every week with everyone in the squad having a clearly defined position in the squad... hopefully the days of square pegs in round holes are well and truly over.

David McCaig
6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This is based on what ?

We haven’t even played a competitive match yet.....our starting XI for that day haven’t even played together and may well not until match day.

With all this is mind you’ve somehow deduced we’re really well placed to beat 3 of the top 4 teams in the country ?

Its Hibs in a big game... beating them is just what Hearts do.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

This is based on what ?

We’ll have played enough games by the semi for that excuse not to be valid. Some will use it if we lose of course, but Hibs fear us, that a legacy from 4-0 and 5–1 that will never go away. Take advantage of that fear and we’ll beat them. Sit back and fear them and admire them and we won’t. 

I doubt we’ll win the cup, but stranger things have happened and in a two horse race there’s always a chance

3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

This is based on what ?

Dry your scants Drylaw. We have retained the better players from last season except for Clare. We have added more balance to the squad with players playing in their proper positions, and we have a manager that knows how to set up a team properly, and doesnt just yell "POWER!" whilst telling everyone to push forwards. You can tremble at the prospect of playing the mighty Hibernian all you like, I will continue to think we have enough to beat them. One of us will be right, and the other will be wrong. If I'm wrong then it isn't going to destroy me, I'll get over it. I don't think I am though. We shall see.

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Personally, I think where players start is incredibly important and attitude should be a given.

Width is the key to breaking down stodgy sides who pack their defence and you only get width if you have players who are actually prepared to stay wide.

Last season under Stendel’s was the prime example of a Manager opting for tactics straight out of clown school and managing to turn us into a team which was considerably less than the sum of its parts.

For me its 4231 every week with everyone in the squad having a clearly defined position in the squad... hopefully the days of square pegs in round holes are well and truly over.

Yes attitude SHOULD be a given. Not many have GIVEN much of a **** for 3 years now  though and if that hasn’t changed I don’t care what your formation is. It’s great everyone knowing what their job is. It’s another matter entirely getting them to actually do it effectively. Levein failed miserably at that aspect. Stendel was merely a radical roll of the dice which didn’t work that great but which MIGHT have kept us up.

Edited by JimmyCant

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Having read all these comments today about how we’re massive underdogs I think too many people aren’t analysing the games Hibs have played, and carried an unbelievable amount of luck in. 
They are favourites and we should play on that but nonetheless no matter the circumstances losing to them and becoming the first manager to do it at Hampden puts huge pressure on Neilson, especially considering they beat us as a lower league team and his poor derby record. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Yep. Without putting to fine a point on it, we should be absolutely pissing the Championship with the players we have, and two games away from winning the big cup, and all that that would mean for the team, the fans and the club... surely people realise that its a huge priority for us?

Look at the balance of the squad compared to last season. It's night and bloody day. It's not so much a team built to get out of the championship, its a team built to absolutely skoosh the Championship, which we will. We have more than enough about us to do that, but we also have players that can compete in the semi final and the final of the Scottish Cup. Anyone who doesn't think the cups have had a bearing on the signings we have made is not paying much attention imo. We had a team that would get us out of the Championship before Halliday signed. Neilson has assembled and retained a balanced team of players who could mostly be playing at top six Premiership sides.

Have to agree with all that 👍🏽

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Pretty much where I'm at to be honest. Delighted with the signing of Andy Halliday and Popescu sounds OK too based on what the St Midden fans had to say about us signing him. Wasn't too happy with signing Gordon at the time but he's a big upgrade on last season and I'm sure will see us through the season and into next. Getting Harry Stone back from injury and out on loan is a top priority for the next couple of months I'd say as he could possibly take over from Gordon. Keeping hold of Smith is a fantastic bit of business because he's been our top performer for probably 2 seasons in a row now. 

Quite happy with how we're going to shape up this season and 100% confident that we'll be back where we belong at the first attempt. 

Onwards and most definitely upwards!

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Having read all these comments today about how we’re massive underdogs I think too many people aren’t analysing the games Hibs have played, and carried an unbelievable amount of luck in. 
They are favourites and we should play on that but nonetheless no matter the circumstances losing to them and becoming the first manager to do it at Hampden puts huge pressure on Neilson, especially considering they beat us as a lower league team and his poor derby record. 

A neighbour of mine is a Hibby and obviously he takes far greater interest in them than I do, but what you say about luck is also very much his opinion. He actually thinks their best result was at Livingston when they did not need any. He said it appears that in every other game if there was a bit of luck going Hibs seemed to get it. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Need to maintain cash for next season. 

This semi final is a farce best forgotten win lose or draw, long term growth is far more important than this ridiculous inconvenience and inconsistent application of sensibilities to satisfy Celtic. 

Got enough already, only drama is not binning more shit 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Need to maintain cash for next season. 

This semi final is a farce best forgotten win lose or draw, long term growth is far more important than this ridiculous inconvenience and inconsistent application of sensibilities to satisfy Celtic. 

Got enough already, only drama is not binning more shit 

This is always their priority and always will be which is why the game will never progress with the current incumbents in charge of Scottish Football.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, David Black said:

A neighbour of mine is a Hibby and obviously he takes far greater interest in them than I do, but what you say about luck is also very much his opinion. He actually thinks their best result was at Livingston when they did not need any. He said it appears that in every other game if there was a bit of luck going Hibs seemed to get it. 

It’s actually scary how things are going for them, even down to McGinn not being sent off for bringing the guy down near as he’s going to shoot in the box, he didn’t attempt to get the ball so technically should’ve been off. Accies miss the penalty. 
I don’t think it will be a shock if we beat them, they won the thing as a lower league team. 
There are a few Hibbies that have common sense and don’t live in cloud cuckoo land 😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don't look at previous records . The facts I highlighted are relevant .

Of course we can beat them but when we do people should realise (including their supporters) what a massive result it is

Pasquale for King

I don't look at previous records . The facts I highlighted are relevant .

Of course we can beat them but when we do people should realise (including their supporters) what a massive result it is

You may not but some people believe the jury on Neilson is out based on previous records, just as his supporters point to his record in the league we are in, it’s why he got the job. 
As you say when we beat them it will be a massive result, just not unexpected from most of us. 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You may not but some people believe the jury on Neilson is out based on previous records, just as his supporters point to his record in the league we are in, it’s why he got the job. 
As you say when we beat them it will be a massive result, just not unexpected from most of us. 

Do I (for example) expect to win ? Of course

Do the bookies ? I assume not 

Pasquale for King

Do I (for example) expect to win ? Of course

Do the bookies ? I assume not 

They’re favourites no doubt, as they showed 4 years ago bookies can be wrong. 

13 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Well I guess we couldn't wait forever for McDonald to start producing. Seemed to get injured a lot. Perhaps Spain is a better place for him than the rough and tumble of Scottish football. 

Where is Henderson ? Has he left Hearts, is he on loan, I’d of thought he’d be wanting to leave to get a game because he’s going nowhere with his career.

5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Where is Henderson ? Has he left Hearts, is he on loan, I’d of thought he’d be wanting to leave to get a game because he’s going nowhere with his career.

Er, he played on Friday 🤣