Robbie Neilson is back

Lord Beni of Gorgie

David McCaig

Boring boring Neilson for clarity, I'm going to recap the goal-shy last few games of his first spell... In reverse order:
Hearts 2-0 Rangers (h)
Hearts 3-0 Motherwell (h)
Hearts 3-3 Hamilton (a)
Hearts 2-2 St Johnstone (h)
Hearts 3-3 Inverness (a)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Bongo 1874

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

16 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

Interesting side note, for all those using MK Dons as a reference point. His win ration was 37.9% The only hearts manager (other than Robbie) to beat that since administration is Craig Levein with 39.62% 

He has been are only good manager since Sergio. 

I'm your fact checking cuz. 

The win percentage thing is a bit of a red herring. There's not many Hearts managers who have managed in the Championship or a 'weakened' Premiership to compare him against. Equally his win percentage at MK Dons is really only comparable against other managers managing MK in League one. I don't know what win % they'd expect but I do know he wasn't liked by their fans very much.

The only one really relevant is his win percentage in his final half season with us

Which, thankfully, I imagine was pretty good too.

23 minutes ago, Zen Jambo said:

Interesting side note, for all those using MK Dons as a reference point. His win ration was 37.9% The only hearts manager (other than Robbie) to beat that since administration is Craig Levein with 39.62% 

He has been are only good manager since Sergio. 

I'm your fact checking cuz. 

Quite right, I am with you on that. I am just relaying the stats....and the bad grammar. 

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The win percentage thing is a bit of a red herring. There's not many Hearts managers who have managed in the Championship or a 'weakened' Premiership to compare him against. Equally his win percentage at MK Dons is really only comparable against other managers managing MK in League one. I don't know what win % they'd expect but I do know he wasn't liked by their fans very much.

The only one really relevant is his win percentage in his final half season with us

Which, thankfully, I imagine was pretty good too.

You’re right about percentages.

That would make George Burley our greatest manager.

gashauskis9

Can someone who’s good with technology/software recreate Neilson’s cup final tackle, but with a Dundee Utd badge in on goal, and the goal replaced with a Premiership logo?

Willing to pay for it.

Just now, Sooperstar said:

This imposter seems pleased. Hopefully Robbie punts him on sharpish. 

I can't say I'm hugely impressed with that tbh. 

Daniel leaving is far from a blessing. Wish that hard work would be put into learning to control a ball.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Daniel leaving is far from a blessing. Wish that hard work would be put into learning to control a ball.

It’s a blessing for him, the pound shop Joelinton 😆

Rick Sanchez

If Robbie continues with the one upfront the correct answer is Boyce. Then Washington. Then whoever replaces Washington. Then Wighton.

Would be happy to see him leave, even happier if it's to someone else in Scotland.

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

If Robbie continues with the one upfront the correct answer is Boyce. Then Washington. Then whoever replaces Washington. Then Wighton.

Would be happy to see him leave, even happier if it's to someone else in Scotland.

Hopefully we can get rid

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Boring boring Neilson for clarity, I'm going to recap the goal-shy last few games of his first spell... In reverse order:
Hearts 2-0 Rangers (h)
Hearts 3-3 Hamilton (a)
Hearts 3-3 Inverness (a)

😂😂

Thought Police

Since Neilson left, we have consistently had a lack of width and drive. We won so many penalties in those first two seasons because you had King and Nicholson running at people and drawing fouls.

Tokyo Drifter
2 hours ago, maroonedinoz said:

The SPFL called the league season over.

The SFA who run the Cup are keen for the semis and final to be played, as I understand it.

They seem to think the cup can re-start in August when the league does but if we're in the Championship we're not allowed to train so don't see how they can expect us to play a semi.

2 hours ago, Finlay James said:

The same Stubbs that he finished 20+ ahead of that season?  

Who had had their arse handed to them?

Scottish cup 👍, he was manager for 2 and a half years and beat hibs once, we fluked it with the ozturk screamer as well. 

As far as managers go Robbie is far less proven than Craig Levein. 

and I'm not levein's biggest fan 😂👍

A_A wehatethehibs
32 minutes ago, OTT said:

With any manager, there's always a group of players who don't like him - those who get emptied and don't play. So Neilson coming in is a blessing for Ikpeazu. He'll get a second chance. The squad as a whole gets a fresh start. Not a big fan of Uche but Neilson's first job is to get the best out of the players we have contracted for next season. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

With any manager, there's always a group of players who don't like him - those who get emptied and don't play. So Neilson coming in is a blessing for Ikpeazu. He'll get a second chance. The squad as a whole gets a fresh start. Not a big fan of Uche but Neilson's first job is to get the best out of the players we have contracted for next season. 

I wouldnt bank on that

46 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Hope he still leaves. Can’t really be arsed with someone who’ll put 100% effort in one week and zero the next. Hope he finds somewhere else soon. 

I think a lot of people were not sure of Stendel for next season in the championship

What we required is someone with the following.

1) An understanding of scottish football

2) Good Knowledge at that level

3) Someone who could hit the ground running

I believe Robbie fits above three criteria so I am happy and actually in reality his last spell was decent and he has a couple of things to put to bead this time around. Those are a cup run and tucking away the hobos more often. These could be remedied quite quickly with dishing out another hampden humilation to the dafties from Leith in the SC semi final.

Francis Albert

Though I'd have liked to have   seen what Stendel could have done he would have been a risk, especially if we are in the Championship.

I wanted someone who knew the Scottish game and the teams we will be competing with next season (which I expect will be in the Championship). No-one meets that spec better than Robbie. 

Edited by Francis Albert

jambo-fletch
26 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Since Neilson left, we have consistently had a lack of width and drive. We won so many penalties in those first two seasons because you had King and Nicholson running at people and drawing fouls.

Hopefully we will similar again this season with Moore, Henderson and McDonald!

Feeling very disappointed that this is who they chose. Absolutely awful signings, pathetic results v the vermin and completely shite away performances were frequent under Neilson.

Struggling to find much positivity in this decision. I thought it was April Fools when i first saw it. Got the feeling that this is not going to end well.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Hearts007 said:

I wouldnt bank on that

Maybe, but I don't see Neilson coming in and emptying half the squad. He will be more keen to add to it than to empty players, he already said he thinks we have a good squad. He is a pragmatic guy, will be focused on making the best of what he has got to start with. Uche is what he is, he's plan B. IMO, all 4 midfield positions are where the major urgent surgery is required. RM, 2x CM, LM. 

jamboinglasgow
55 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Same as any manager who comes in, I will give players a chance under them. You might find Neilson finds a way that unlocks his ability. He did not fit Stendels style of play, he might suit Robbie's. See the change Clare made under Stendel.

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

Hearts 2-0 Rangers (h)
Hearts 3-3 Hamilton (a)
Hearts 3-3 Inverness (a)

Did we not beat Motherwell 6-1 as well? 

EDIT: sorry misread your post

Edited by Mac80

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

That may be what he claimed in public but I heard differently from someone who knows him well. No names for obvious reasons however it is an ex Hearts player.

I did too.  From someone who does have some contacts.  

3 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Take it Robbie will be bringing in his own staff?  Anyone itk?

Andy Kirk is still there, see no need to get rid of him as he appears to have done well

1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

I reckon if you put Uche into Dundee UTD teams, they wouldn't have been so successful due to Uches'  decision making , proper charlie, selfish, abysmal gameplay.

Apart from that he will try to make a convincing go at fooling another manager.

gashauskis9
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

Looking at his Dundee United results, only 1 win in there last 9 games. Surprised at that. 

League was won, foot of the peddle.

A_A wehatethehibs
14 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Looks to me like Ann sought and took CL's advice on the appointment. 

Or, alternatively, she appointed Neilson due to the results he delivered during her first 3 seasons at the helm of HMFC. Even if she spoke to Levein, I don't think she would need much advice or convincing, she always had a high opinion of Neilson. To me this feels a lot more like the first ever (and possibly only ever) 100% Budge appointment, she's gone with someone she already knows and trusts. I suspect she's probably wanted him back since he left MK. 

9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Or, alternatively, she appointed Neilson due to the results he delivered during her first 3 seasons at the helm of HMFC. Even if she spoke to Levein, I don't think she would need much advice or convincing, she always had a high opinion of Neilson. To me this feels a lot more like the first ever (and possibly only ever) 100% Budge appointment, she's gone with someone she already knows and trusts. I suspect she's probably wanted him back since he left MK. 

Wanted to appoint RN when CL was sacked but Robbie wanted to stay with Utd to win Championship.

Dallas Green

Robbies win percentage for his top flight seasons was 47.7%

We also scored 110 goals and conceded 75 in his 65 matches. 

The last two seasons (18/19 & 19/20 - 91 games) we scored 121 and conceded 114

Deans Jambo
16 hours ago, Marty Byrde said:

Neilson does get results, his record shows that. However it's not a crime to say the football he plays is shite to watch.

That appears to have been the case at MK Dons and reading online now that has recently been the case at Dundee United.

Dull perfunctory football appears to be our lot in Scottish Football. Why fight it?

I genuinely never felt that bored during Neilsons previous spell. Ive spent countless hours since thinking why the **** did I bother though. 

If turning over the sh*te in the league (as he done previously) without breaking sweat is dull then I'll take it!

Rick Sanchez

Just seen a video on Facebook of a big Neilson Out banner outside Tynie....surely not?

Screenshot_20200622-173440_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Rick Sanchez

Watched Dundee Utd a few times last season on telly. Didn’t think they were a bad watch. Reasonably attack minded. Solid at the back. Bit of width. Bit of pace. Lost the plot a wee bit when the league was wrapped up but hey ho.

Fitzroy Pointon
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Just seen a video on Facebook of a big Neilson Out banner outside Tynie....surely not?

That's got to be Hibs. None of our fans are as stupid as that surely? 

Right? 

Fitzroy Pointon
Just now, JimmyCant said:

Watched Dundee Utd a few times last season on telly. Didn’t think they were a bad watch. Reasonably attack minded. Solid at the back. Bit of width. Bit of pace. Lost the plot a wee bit when the league was wrapped up but hey ho.

If you listen to any of their fans they were shite and they wanted Neilson gone. Even though the were romping the championship. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

When times are tough and you can't afford a plane.