Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

If it was a legal discharge of his weapon, does the sacked cop have recourse to compo then? 

I have wondered about these immediate firings that are happening now. I have to think that it is knowing that criminal charges may come up the Police Department will not have to pay the legal costs for his defence although the Police Association may do so. The black female Chief of the Atlanta Police resigned almost immediately.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Correct he would only lie on a white man's grave 

Probably pissed on loads of statues and memorials when he was alive too.   :evilno:

Nucky Thompson

Running battles in Glasgow George square. The police are saying it's football related 

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Is it physically possible to relocate glasgow to England? 

**** off!!!!! Don't want it down here.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Is it physically possible to relocate glasgow to England? 

:lol:

Even the Police say the nonsense in the Weege today is nothing to do with BLM but is sectarian in nature.

Peel was staunchly anti-catholic.

At one time death was one of my great fears, now t eighty five and the state this world is in today, like my o;l mother said and I never really understood when asked about being old and the thought of it happening she aid I will be glad of the rest, well Maw, your laddie is ready for the rest also.

1 minute ago, Sharpie said:

At one time death was one of my great fears, now t eighty five and the state this world is in today, like my o;l mother said and I never really understood when asked about being old and the thought of it happening she aid I will be glad of the rest, well Maw, your laddie is ready for the rest also.

A depressing thought Bob but understandable, my son is 14 this year and it's worrying when you see the state of things.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Judge for yourself, the video in this report begins at the end if you know what I mean and is the security camera from a restaurant.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rayshard-brooks-atlanta-killed-by-police-protests/

You would think they’re trained to restrain folk, they seem absolutely hopeless at it. I know I watch too much tv but why do they shoot to kill in these instances instead of incapacitating the guy? Not your place to answer obviously just putting it out there.

39 minutes ago, Cade said:

Even the Police say the nonsense in the Weege today is nothing to do with BLM but is sectarian in nature.

Peel was staunchly anti-catholic.

So I take it that it was rangers v green brigade? 

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, theshed said:

So I take it that it was rangers v green brigade? 

It will be Rangers, but I don't know who they are fighting. Maybe Hibs have travelled through for a bit pavement dancing

45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You would think they’re trained to restrain folk, they seem absolutely hopeless at it. I know I watch too much tv but why do they shoot to kill in these instances instead of incapacitating the guy? Not your place to answer obviously just putting it out there.

Not related to the video .

I think it's always good to remember the violence the US police face daily.

And like it or not black Americans commit violent crime way more disproportionately .

15% of the population responsible for 50% of murder I think is the figure.

Jambo-Jimbo
43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Often thought about that myself, why don't they shoot the guy in the legs, however I've never been in that situation nor in combat so I can't answer what goes through your head in that situation, if anything, maybe it's instinct & training kicks in and when you get a gun pointed at you, you take out the threat.

Only ex-military or police will be able to provide anything near like an answer.

53 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Theres still the majority Bob.

Most of us are still going about being decent to each other.

So never mind a rest .

👍

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Often thought about that myself, why don't they shoot the guy in the legs, however I've never been in that situation nor in combat so I can't answer what goes through your head in that situation, if anything, maybe it's instinct & training kicks in and when you get a gun pointed at you, you take out the threat.

Only ex-military or police will be able to provide anything near like an answer.

Shoot someone in leg they can still get a shot away.

Even the head apparently.

Chest shots are the best I think.

My info is based on a movie by the way cannae mind which one though.

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nah its a friendly place so it is - people make Glasgow

Unionists like causing bother in George Square. 

Jambo-Jimbo
56 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Your only 85, still just a youngster nowadays. 👍

2 minutes ago, jake said:

i would not say it was about them still being able to get away.

both the legs and head are a smaller target so harder to hit also i would be worried about either the bullet going through and ricocheting then hitting an innocent bystander

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Unionists like causing bother in George Square. 

Who with though, who's in the red corner?

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Guess who is going to answer.  I have been trained in both, never in training for the use of lethal force i.e. firearms do I remember ever being taught or counselled to fire to disable or wound. The training and practise on the range was always to hit body mass to inflict the most debilitating injury which could cause death. When practise firing at body type paper targets th high score ranges were in the heart area not the head not legs or arms body mass centre. In the police my understanding was that if you had to use your weapon it was because you assessed that your life was at risk so the intent was to make sure the attacker was going to go down for a ten count first.

The military training was basically the same, except the targets were identified enemies and were sure to be thinking exactly the same as you, the object was to kill and overkill was not seen as a problem the more time you shot or bayoneted him, or choke holded him to death was better than not totally annihilating him.

Fire to wound or cripple were not words I recall ever hearing

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, jake said:

Not related to the video .

I think it's always good to remember the violence the US police face daily.

And like it or not black Americans commit violent crime way more disproportionately .

15% of the population responsible for 50% of murder I think is the figure.

We’ve covered all of that, I introduced the statistics a few pages back. Poor people commit crime the world over. It’s a chicken and the egg, what came first violence towards or from the Police. If you have to resort to shooting to kill someone because two of you couldn’t restrain a guy you’ve just woke up, and he takes your taser away maybe they should get another job. In this instance this guy wasn’t running far and his car was there, there was no real need to shoot and kill him. Funnily enough the Police treat white criminals differently, a few weeks ago armed Trump supporters stormed government buildings demanding hairdressers and strip clubs be reopened. No arrests.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It was a taser they don’t have much range, I was more meaning when unarmed guys are running away. Thankfully none of us should ever be in that situation.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Guess who is going to answer.  I have been trained in both, never in training for the use of lethal force i.e. firearms do I remember ever being taught or counselled to fire to disable or wound. The training and practise on the range was always to hit body mass to inflict the most debilitating injury which could cause death. When practise firing at body type paper targets th high score ranges were in the heart area not the head not legs or arms body mass centre. In the police my understanding was that if you had to use your weapon it was because you assessed that your life was at risk so the intent was to make sure the attacker was going to go down for a ten count first.

The military training was basically the same, except the targets were identified enemies and were sure to be thinking exactly the same as you, the object was to kill and overkill was not seen as a problem the more time you shot or bayoneted him, or choke holded him to death was better than not totally annihilating him.

Surely when someone is running away unarmed then shoot to kill is unnecessary?

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

You probably noticed that I set that up for you to reply.

What you say is pretty much what I'd expect, take your man down before he can take you down.

I just heard on the news here that the head officer of the RTCMP has stated that racism is systemic in the Canadian National Police Force, a proud highly reputed organisation.

But is it racism, one particular segment of our population seem to get in more trouble and feel racially picked on, but could it have something to do with the regularity of police attention being necessary involving them.

I hearken back to my days in Niddrie. If the people I dealt with there had been of a race of different color would our actions and opinions have been racism. We treated a segm,ent of the population with little respect, because our dealings with theft, violence malicious damage were people of that same community, many good people lived there but they were tarnished by the greater preponderance of bad behaviour by fellow residents, so the general attitude became, its Niddrie, they are all the same. Or when  something happened and a suspect was sought, oft times with no evidence the comment would be I bet he is from Niddrie. It because of frequency that he was from Niddrie the bias was seen to be justified. In the thread subject title the word black appears, but is it really because of the color of perpetrators of the subject matter being reported or is it because of the frequency that the perpetrator is in fact black.

The Real Maroonblood
26 minutes ago, jake said:

Dirty Harry. 

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Surely when someone is running away unarmed then shoot to kill is unnecessary?

I thought I was asked about training,so I explained mine. I made a point of mentioning assessing that my life was in danger so lethal action was required, I am not sure in my answer if I referred to a running away subject, if you want a proper answer I suggest you ask the individual who  has shot a fleeing subject, that is definitely not me.

i don't know hy I am but I will ry to answer the one circumstance I could see justification, if and only i the chased subject had needlessly killed  or injured innocent people and was being chased as a result it may be considered justified to deny him escape to deter that occurring

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve covered all of that, I introduced the statistics a few pages back. Poor people commit crime the world over. It’s a chicken and the egg, what came first violence towards or from the Police. If you have to resort to shooting to kill someone because two of you couldn’t restrain a guy you’ve just woke up, and he takes your taser away maybe they should get another job. In this instance this guy wasn’t running far and his car was there, there was no real need to shoot and kill him. Funnily enough the Police treat white criminals differently, a few weeks ago armed Trump supporters stormed government buildings demanding hairdressers and strip clubs be reopened. No arrests.

Like I said wasnt related to a video.

And it doesnt matter what came first really.

The situation police officers find themselves in daily is just that.

Crime commited by poor people is a valid point.

Although I'd argue that the rich and powerful have commited much larger and heinous crimes .

Criminality linked with poverty is only true in relation to the gap between rich and poor.

I mean it can hardly be said in a general sense that black Americans suffer the poverty of sub Sahara Africans.

The poorer states in the US have a lesser crime rate where there is not extremes of wealth.

I'm paraphrasing but will try to find the link about this.

Interesting stuff.

I can give you some whataboutery videos as well mate.

Black police killing white youths.

White blm supporters being beaten by black people .

I dont buy this nonsense about black people suffering from institutional racism.

No doubt they will face racism.

But on a scale it's nothing in today's western societies.

If you want to know what proper institutional racism looks like I suggest starting with India.

Only 2nd in the all time slave nations after China in history.

8 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Dirty Harry. 

Dinnae think so.

Was to do with shooting the chest opens your arms out negating a rogue shot.

William H. Bonney
34 minutes ago, OBE said:

Who with though, who's in the red corner?

More likely a green corner 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I thought I was asked about training,so I explained mine. I made a point of mentioning assessing that my life was in danger so lethal action was required, I am not sure in my answer if I referred to a running away subject, if you want a proper answer I suggest you ask the individual who  has shot a fleeing subject, that is definitely not me.

i don't know hy I am but I will ry to answer the one circumstance I could see justification, if and only i the chased subject had needlessly killed  or injured innocent people and was being chased as a result it may be considered justified to deny him escape to deter that occurring

I was talking in general but it’s clearly not really taught. 

11 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

I just heard on the news here that the head officer of the RTCMP has stated that racism is systemic in the Canadian National Police Force, a proud highly reputed organisation.

But is it racism, one particular segment of our population seem to get in more trouble and feel racially picked on, but could it have something to do with the regularity of police attention being necessary involving them.

I hearken back to my days in Niddrie. If the people I dealt with there had been of a race of different color would our actions and opinions have been racism. We treated a segm,ent of the population with little respect, because our dealings with theft, violence malicious damage were people of that same community, many good people lived there but they were tarnished by the greater preponderance of bad behaviour by fellow residents, so the general attitude became, its Niddrie, they are all the same. Or when  something happened and a suspect was sought, oft times with no evidence the comment would be I bet he is from Niddrie. It because of frequency that he was from Niddrie the bias was seen to be justified. In the thread subject title the word black appears, but is it really because of the color of perpetrators of the subject matter being reported or is it because of the frequency that the perpetrator is in fact black.

I grew up in Muirhouse and then Cleekim in the 70s&80s and there was usually a once a year problem with travellers as they’re now known. There was and still are mostly genuine law abiding folk, speaking as we do though I still get a certain level of prejudice against me for that from many different groups all over the UK.

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, jake said:

Like I said wasnt related to a video.

And it doesnt matter what came first really.

The situation police officers find themselves in daily is just that.

Crime commited by poor people is a valid point.

Although I'd argue that the rich and powerful have commited much larger and heinous crimes .

Criminality linked with poverty is only true in relation to the gap between rich and poor.

I mean it can hardly be said in a general sense that black Americans suffer the poverty of sub Sahara Africans.

The poorer states in the US have a lesser crime rate where there is not extremes of wealth.

I'm paraphrasing but will try to find the link about this.

Interesting stuff.

I can give you some whataboutery videos as well mate.

Black police killing white youths.

White blm supporters being beaten by black people .

I dont buy this nonsense about black people suffering from institutional racism.

No doubt they will face racism.

But on a scale it's nothing in today's western societies.

If you want to know what proper institutional racism looks like I suggest starting with India.

Only 2nd in the all time slave nations after China in history.

I agree with most of that. Crimes by rich people are usually more heinous, Bengal famine for example. Indians probably learned a lot from the 17th to 20th century. 
This is a good link, only read the intro and the last bit though.https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/3226952/Sampson_RacialEthnicDisparities.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/us/prosecutor-race-blind-charging.html

As for institutionalised racism the treatment of certain white criminals appears to differ from

black ones. Like this guy.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article25394389.html

5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

And therein lies the problem . Those stories grow arms and legs to suit the right racist narrative , he had a “ machete “ this suits the “ black man with a knife “ almost on par with the black rapist going to rape your wife , the bogey man . Not implying your racist as you obviously just picked up the story wrong . A little education in these matters can go a long way 

Assuming you didn't read the next few posts...

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe read up on his injuries and the alleged weapon he had on him. 23 separate injuries, 11 police officers in attendances. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-full-extent-injuries-suffered-6348506

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46591551

FFS I did - see the next few posts...

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’ve covered all of that, I introduced the statistics a few pages back. Poor people commit crime the world over.

You know, something else to remember is that crime is a social construct. It doesn't just exist, governments decide what is and isn't criminal. Not all immoral things are illegal. Take adultery as an easy example.

People see looters and freak the **** out. Okay, whatever. But even in a year where such "extra" theft happen above and beyond the normal, theft like this, robberies, etc. are a blip on the radar. Where does the vast majority of stealing occur? In wage theft. And no, I don't mean in the anti-capitalist sense. I mean employers straight up not paying their employees what they're contractually owed.

But is wage theft criminal? No. $280 million in stolen wages were recovered in the US in 2012, a tiny fraction of the actual amount thieved by employers. Even that tiny amount was greater than the total amount of theft from robbery, shoplifting, etc.

But it's not criminal for your boss to rip you off. Why? Because crime is a social construct. The powers-that-be have decided robbing a bank ought to be criminalised with decades in prison, but an employer chronically underpaying people already on low wages just because they have the power to? Eh, they can file a grievance for it, and 10 or 20% of the time, get the money they're owed after months or years of paperwork and tribunals.

Admittedly I'm talking about the US here but I'd bet with a little digging, someone curious enough to know would likely find similar in the UK.

Think about that the next time you're outraged that someone doesn't feel as strongly about looting as you do (in the general sense, not @you PfK).

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

Assuming you didn't read the next few posts...

I did. My point being stories grow arms and legs around these incidents but its usually due to historical stereotypes

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

You know, something else to remember is that crime is a social construct. It doesn't just exist, governments decide what is and isn't criminal. Not all immoral things are illegal. Take adultery as an easy example.

People see looters and freak the **** out. Okay, whatever. But even in a year where such "extra" theft happen above and beyond the normal, theft like this, robberies, etc. are a blip on the radar. Where does the vast majority of stealing occur? In wage theft. And no, I don't mean in the anti-capitalist sense. I mean employers straight up not paying their employees what they're contractually owed.

But is wage theft criminal? No. $280 million in stolen wages were recovered in the US in 2012, a tiny fraction of the actual amount thieved by employers. Even that tiny amount was greater than the total amount of theft from robbery, shoplifting, etc.

But it's not criminal for your boss to rip you off. Why? Because crime is a social construct. The powers-that-be have decided robbing a bank ought to be criminalised with decades in prison, but an employer chronically underpaying people already on low wages just because they have the power to? Eh, they can file a grievance for it, and 10 or 20% of the time, get the money they're owed after months or years of paperwork and tribunals.

Admittedly I'm talking about the US here but I'd bet with a little digging, someone curious enough to know would likely find similar in the UK.

Think about that the next time you're outraged that someone doesn't feel as strongly about looting as you do (in the general sense, not @you PfK).

Good posting.  Yes we all have our thresholds for what is a " crime" or not.  Usually based on our own moral compass. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

FFS I did - see the next few posts...

Yeah I posted that after you did I think, apologies if not.

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I did. My point being stories grow arms and legs around these incidents but its usually due to historical stereotypes

I was talking of a case I'd heard of about 18 months ago, which someone else provided the name for, so I corrected myself re the knife and that there is an open investigation into the police for re procedure and a potential cover up. 

Where do you get this stuff about historical stereotypes from? 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

I was talking of a case I'd heard of about 18 months ago, which someone else provided the name for, so I corrected myself re the knife and that there is an open investigation into the police for re procedure and a potential cover up. 

Where do you get this stuff about historical stereotypes from? 

IM not getting at you. IM saying that these stories concerning mainly black people can grow arms and legs due to our unconscious or conscious prejudices. For example  Even if one had read the headline about this case , some people might assume " bet he was carrying a knife translated as all black people are dangerous and probably carry knives).  This thinking is due to stereotypes of black men in particular as threatening.  Those negative  stereotypes are long standing throughout history and  are perpetuated by the media. Is that any clearer ? 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Absolutely, tax evasion for example costs the UK government 600 times what benefit fraud does for example and has a tenth of the resources chasing it.

Looting, riots or theft to feed yourself doesn’t worry me that much as long as nobody sufferers, this on the other hand does. As for the law it’s an ass sometimes.

F8CFC8E5-777D-4B7B-9DE8-AEEBA63DFCF8.png

B53ECF57-E0A1-41D0-86AF-2C19E7736D2A.png

DA0F5F18-8F9D-434B-8C60-7BADA1C96428.jpeg

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

IM not getting at you. IM saying that these stories concerning mainly black people can grow arms and legs due to our unconscious or conscious prejudices. For example  Even if one had read the headline about this case , some people might assume " bet he was carrying a knife translated as all black people are dangerous and probably carry knives).  This thinking is due to stereotypes of black men in particular as threatening.  Those negative  stereotypes are long standing throughout history and  are perpetuated by the media. Is that any clearer ? 

Ok I will be dismissed as a racist for this. Of course stereotyping is wrong but the fact is knife crime is disproportionately black crime 

... And that applies to both the perpetrators and the victims

19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Knife-weilding is not a stereotype of black people that I've ever heard. I'll ask my black friends about that one...

Now Glaswegians? That is a stereotype they've had since the razor gangs

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely, tax evasion for example costs the UK government 600 times what benefit fraud does for example and has a tenth of the resources chasing it.

Looting, riots or theft to feed yourself doesn’t worry me that much as long as nobody sufferers, this on the other hand does. As for the law it’s an ass sometimes.

F8CFC8E5-777D-4B7B-9DE8-AEEBA63DFCF8.png

B53ECF57-E0A1-41D0-86AF-2C19E7736D2A.png

DA0F5F18-8F9D-434B-8C60-7BADA1C96428.jpeg

That one about Anne Frank is utter BS - show me where Dutch law ever made transportation and genocide of Jewish people the law...

Holland was neutral in WW2 and invaded by the Germans. I seriously doubt their Parliament just turned round and said "what laws would you like us to pass?"

Edited by Spellczech