Black Lives Matter Protest.

Ainsley Harriott

Ibrahim Tall
31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why highlight the 10 years, is that somehow ok that on average 16.3 people die every year in police custody? I didn’t make up ru study, just showing you the figures. I put the figures up for America the other day, sorry if you haven’t bothered to read them. 

Because 16.3 really isn’t a freakishly large number. Particularly given 600-700,000 people are arrested on a yearly basis.
It’s a sad fact of life but people do die, 450 people for example die on average simply from falling out of bed. https://www.dailycal.org/2017/06/30/14-things-kill-people-sharks/

There’s also nothing in your data that even states foul play in the 163.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• Dawnrazor

• Spellczech

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, jake said:

No its not linked to being poor.

Its linked to inequality.

The two things are very  different.

Inequality not linked to being poor 🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Because 16.3 really isn’t a freakishly large number. Particularly given 600-700,000 people are arrested on a yearly basis.
It’s a sad fact of life but people do die, 450 people for example die on average simply from falling out of bed. https://www.dailycal.org/2017/06/30/14-things-kill-people-sharks/

There’s also nothing in your data that even states foul play in the 163.

Yeah it’s was all natural causes, sleep tight.

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Even the Police say the nonsense in the Weege today is nothing to do with BLM but is sectarian in nature.

Peel was staunchly anti-catholic.

Peel wasn't in the least bit staunch! - he was the ultimate flip-flopper and politicker...

Ibrahim Tall
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah it’s was all natural causes, sleep tight.

Yeah, good night. ‘Debating’ with someone who clearly has an agenda and ignores everything that doesn’t fit that narrative seems a waste of my time. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Yeah, good night. ‘Debating’ with someone who clearly has an agenda and ignores everything that doesn’t fit that narrative seems a waste of my time. 

Back at you 👋🏿

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah and your belief that you know better than everyone else would serve you well.

Hmmn, I've acknowledged people correcting me at least 2 or 3 times on this thread alone.

You by contrast state something as fact, fail to back it up when asked to, don't conceed you are wrong, then a couple of days later once again state the same wrong thing again as fact...

I genuinely don't know if you are only supporting BLM because you are anti-police...?

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah and your belief that you know better than everyone else would serve you well.

Image may contain: 1 person, text and close-up

Better you than me mate :lol:

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Hmmn, I've acknowledged people correcting me at least 2 or 3 times on this thread alone.

You by contrast state something as fact, fail to back it up when asked to, don't conceed you are wrong, then a couple of days later once again state the same wrong thing again as fact...

I genuinely don't know if you are only supporting BLM because you are anti-police...?

Yeah you’ve been proved wrong a lot on this thread, next time i am I will apologise. As it’s been said about twenty times you thinking I’m wrong and me actually being wrong is a different thing. 
I believe in eradicating all inequality for everyone, the people who hold the power appear unwilling to give it up and actively stop it. I will support BLM, Women or anyone else fighting for equal rights. You seem to have a problem with that.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Inequality not linked to being poor 🤷🏾‍♂️🙈

Not in the case of criminality.

Where the majority were in equivalent wealth there was less crime even though poorer.

It was the inequality which drove figures.

In larger wealthier cities.

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Image may contain: 1 person, text and close-up

Better you than me mate :lol:

Bloody hell! LOL what kind of paranoid mind comes up with stuff like that? Like the ultimate racist shutdown! Haha Your meme addiction is out of control...

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Haha Your meme addiction is out of control...

Something we can all support I think :lol: They're good fun.

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Bloody hell! LOL what kind of paranoid mind comes up with stuff like that?

It's also pretty hilarious when people make the point of them so effortlessly while said point flies over their own heads!

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, jake said:

Not in the case of criminality.

Where the majority were in equivalent wealth there was less crime even though poorer.

It was the inequality which drove figures.

In larger wealthier cities.

Is there proof that poor white people commit less crime than poor black people, can I go all Willie Miller on you and ask if you’re actually saying black people are more criminally minded than us good ol white folks?

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah you’ve been proved wrong a lot on this thread, next time i am I will apologise. As it’s been said about twenty times you thinking I’m wrong and me actually being wrong is a different thing. 
I believe in eradicating all inequality for everyone, the people who hold the power appear unwilling to give it up and actively stop it. I will support BLM, Women or anyone else fighting for equal rights. You seem to have a problem with that.

Is your head in the clouds or in the sand? The world is absolutely full of unfairness, injustice and downright criminality.  Even positive action is discriminatory. There are plenty of people of all colours who would love to get a leg up but simple truth is that if you don't do it for yourself, you cannot really expect others to do it for you. That's life, that's why Communism failed. Capitalism may be crap but it suits human nature better.

I saw the Houston police chief getting a lot of credit a week or so back. Turns out everything an American cop ever says, even this one, should be presumed to be a lie.

Houston Police Chief’s Speeches Supporting Protesters Were Widely Circulated—But Video Proves His Officers Cracked Down on Them

While Acevedo was publicly mourning the death of Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, his officers were brutalizing the very protesters he praised. The Appeal interviewed multiple activists in Houston and reviewed videos taken from protests in the city. In addition to one officer caught on tape trampling a woman with a police horse (an incident for which Mayor Sylvester Turner was forced to apologize), video evidence, including some previously unavailable footage obtained by The Appeal, shows officers firing what appears to be tear gas at protesters, brutalizing people during their arrests, and violently handcuffing a woman in a wheelchair.

And while Houston police spokespersons have denied “kettling” protesters—a practice by which officers surround demonstrators, pen them in, and arrest the group—several activists who spoke to The Appeal say this is untrue.
. . .
“My message to Art Acevedo is to stop lying,” Ashton P. Woods, an activist with Black Lives Matter Houston, told The Appeal.  “Because the same people walking with him were the same people pepper-spraying us later.”

(emphasis added)

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Is your head in the clouds or in the sand? The world is absolutely full of unfairness, injustice and downright criminality.  Even positive action is discriminatory. There are plenty of people of all colours who would love to get a leg up but simple truth is that if you don't do it for yourself, you cannot really expect others to do it for you. That's life, that's why Communism failed. Capitalism may be crap but it suits human nature better.

Your view of life again, equality is not a leg up for women or people of colour, it’s a level playing field for all. Nobody wants special treatment to get ahead, just the same opportunity. The fact you picked out that most basic line in that post tells anyone looking in everything your prejudiced view of life. 
Communism cannot work until capitalism burns itself out, it’s well on the way to doing that. 

Don’t bother replying I’m not wasting any more of my valuable time in you or any other misguided individual on this thread.

C2477B1E-0EDD-4349-B708-4FFFE343EC50.jpeg

B4836F45-B8F9-4067-A4B2-C78EBE4FA61C.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I saw the Houston police chief getting a lot of credit a week or so back. Turns out everything an American cop ever says, even this one, should be presumed to be a lie.

Houston Police Chief’s Speeches Supporting Protesters Were Widely Circulated—But Video Proves His Officers Cracked Down on Them

While Acevedo was publicly mourning the death of Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, his officers were brutalizing the very protesters he praised. The Appeal interviewed multiple activists in Houston and reviewed videos taken from protests in the city. In addition to one officer caught on tape trampling a woman with a police horse (an incident for which Mayor Sylvester Turner was forced to apologize), video evidence, including some previously unavailable footage obtained by The Appeal, shows officers firing what appears to be tear gas at protesters, brutalizing people during their arrests, and violently handcuffing a woman in a wheelchair.

And while Houston police spokespersons have denied “kettling” protesters—a practice by which officers surround demonstrators, pen them in, and arrest the group—several activists who spoke to The Appeal say this is untrue.
. . .
“My message to Art Acevedo is to stop lying,” Ashton P. Woods, an activist with Black Lives Matter Houston, told The Appeal.  “Because the same people walking with him were the same people pepper-spraying us later.”

(emphasis added)

All too common.

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Your view of life again, equality is not a leg up for women or people of colour, it’s a level playing field for all. Nobody wants special treatment to get ahead, just the same opportunity. The fact you picked out that most basic line in that post tells anyone looking in everything your prejudiced view of life. 
Communism cannot work until capitalism burns itself out, it’s well on the way to doing that. 

Don’t bother replying I’m not wasting any more of my valuable time in you or any other misguided individual on this thread.

Why are you addressing me with that? I've never even discussed racism with you, let alone ending racism, or women's rights!... other than to say generally that people have to do things for themselves in the quoted message above and I was talking economics there not racism ( BLM is about economics though, as was discussed about 15 -20 pages ago), and to dispute your statement that the murder of Floyd was racist.

Edited by Spellczech

Dare I say that never, in the field of public protest, has so much opinion been held by so many people based on so few facts.

I have concerns that these events may open the door to a level of authoritarianism, which many previously thought not possible, but worried about with a lying psychopath such as Trump in the White House.

12 hours ago, OBE said:

Who with though, who's in the red corner?

Probably themselves, Country v Country. Didnae get dressed up for nothin'.

Edited by ri Alban

I have for a long time thought that a large part of the problem in the US is that people simply don't know how to be arrested. Or appear to not know.

I'm going to post a video primed to start at the point where a guy begins to head towards describing my thoughts on this matter in detail. And to me it's a compelling argument. As he says, being arrested "is not a negotiation"

It's not up to the individual being arrested to decide if they should be arrested. That's something to be debated later.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Probably themselves, Country v Country. Didnae get dressed up for nothin'.

John knew...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace.

Becoming more & more difficult to imagine.

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

:rofl: 

Clowns to the left of me, virtue signallers to the right.....

15 minutes ago, OBE said:

John knew...

It isn't hard to do
And no religion, too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace.

Civility would be a good start. 👍

That's a habit with you isn't it. The pomposity to lecture people then tell them not to bother replying, as if your conceit is the be all and end all of any discussion.

While I know from watching you that an issue with you is that you're closed minded. That no matter what anyone introduced to you demonstrating you're wrong on an issue or even just a point. You cannot, will not accept/concede being wrong.

Don’t bother replying, I’m not wasting any more of my valuable time on you or any other pompous closed minded individual on this thread.

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

It is a total wast of your time.

:cornette_dog:

"If you're black and not a drug dealing gang banger, you will not give a **** about white people calling you a drug dealing gang banger right now. Because you know what they're saying doesn't apply to you. If you're offended you're a drug dealing gang banger. It's simple"

8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's a habit with you isn't it. The pomposity to lecture people then tell them not to bother replying, as if your conceit is the be all and end all of any discussion.

While I know from watching you that an issue with you is that you're closed minded. That no matter what anyone introduced to you demonstrating you're wrong on an issue or even just a point. You cannot, will not accept/concede being wrong.

Don’t bother replying, I’m not wasting any more of my valuable time on you or any other pompous closed minded individual on this thread.

^^^^ Factual post.

11 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It is a total wast of your time.

:cornette_dog:

"If you're black and not a drug dealing gang banger, you will not give a **** about white people calling you a drug dealing gang banger right now. Because you know what they're saying doesn't apply to you. If you're offended you're a drug dealing gang banger. It's simple"

And this is another thing many of the closed minded living in their internet cookie driven bubble don't get. For some American minorities white racism isn't the issue they face, black racism is.

Asians in the US have historically reported infinitely more racist abuse directed at them from blacks than from whites. And that has increased in frequency since the halfwit Trump started his "Chinese virus" stupidity.

Would it be apt for them to start an 'Asian lives matter' group and call blacks racist while being entitled to do so by proclaiming if you're offended then you're a racist?

That black woman stating that she is entitled to call white people racists is absurd. As you pointed out, if I were to say black people are gang bangers, drug dealers, street hoods, she would be more than offended. And rightly so.

And that's despite the fact some black people, and arguably a disproportionately high percentage of black males, are gang bangers, drug dealers, street hoods.

But as you say using her logic we can call them that and they shouldn't be offended if they know they aren't in that category. But they would be.

While I in general support the protests against police brutality in the US black lives matters are not the people to listen to. They often choose the wrong instances to protest about. George Floyd would be correct. But Michael Brown as an example was not.

He was shot dead by a cop while trying to wrestle his gun from him. That would get anybody in the US shot. No matter what their race.

And there are further problems which only blacks can address within their own communities. Blacks are 13% of the total US population but responsible for 50% of all murders in the US.

That can only attract disproportionate police attention as it would for any group who were murdering at such a disproportionate rate.

2 hours ago, OBE said:

John knew...

It isn't hard to do
And no religion, too

Imagine all the people
Living life in peace.

His basic vision of a classless society. There aren't many people on here who don't rigorously argue the politics for one Nation, people or race over another and think that's acceptable. 

doctor jambo
14 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Floyd passed a fake note, thats why the police were there, both cases are similar. He didn’t have the knife when the police arrived is the point, and they found i after. He took drugs watching boxing then went into the streets, didn’t actually bother anyone. Have you been near a venue after drugged up nutters even higher on adrenaline rampage around looking for trouble, or possibly after a football match, or the protests yesterday and today in Glasgow? Are any of these folk subdued by the police in this manner? On of the cops weighed 25 stone and another refused to reveal his weight. This article explains the situation well, strange considering the source.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/revealed-full-extent-injuries-suffered-6348506

Dr payne- james I know, an international expert in his field, much respected and published.

Excited delirium is a real condition, someone basically enters a heightened state, more resistant to pain and detatched from reality.

They can fight like men posessed and rag doll arresting officers.

The death is sad, for sure, but none of the injuries are unusual for a forceful restraint, with the facial injuries caused by the arrested bashing their face or moving it across a rough surface as they are pinned to the ground.

There is nothing in that article that would indicate his race was even relevant, the family, are , naturally, looking for someone to blame.

Demonstrating excessive force is really difficult - though the accusation of "police assault" is often done- most ususally by prisoners who are "resisting arrest"- otherwise known as fighting with the police.

The police DESERVE protection from violent people- most charges of police assault are dropped by the fiscal from the charge sheets, they dont get enough protection sometimes.

Governor Tarkin
16 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

There aren't many people on here who don't rigorously argue the politics for one Nation, people or race over another and think that's acceptable. 

There are plenty, they just tend not to be the ones that do all the shouting.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

People talk about equal right and for blacks, women etc. However, the truth these are all ready in place. What your now trying to address is more cultural and ingrained with people. The truth is the takes time and as we each generation becomes more tolerant. 

The whole point is that although this may be in Law, it is not as is should be in every day life.

We had a report out last week from the UK's blood transfusion service detailing the bullying, lower pay, less career progression and sidelining of BAME workers.

This week we've had the covid-19 BAME report leaked (the bits the government tried to hide), which details that BAME NHS workers are more likely to die because they didn't want to be seen rocking the boat, asking for more PPE or otherwise drawing attention to themselves due to systemic racism in the NHS.

It runs deep in every strata of society.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

The whole point is that although this may be in Law, it is not as is should be in every day life.

We had a report out last week from the UK's blood transfusion service detailing the bullying, lower pay, less career progression and sidelining of BAME workers.

This week we've had the covid-19 BAME report leaked (the bits the government tried to hide), which details that BAME NHS workers are more likely to die because they didn't want to be seen rocking the boat, asking for more PPE or otherwise drawing attention to themselves due to systemic racism in the NHS.

It runs deep in every strata of society.

Well said.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Dr payne- james I know, an international expert in his field, much respected and published.

Excited delirium is a real condition, someone basically enters a heightened state, more resistant to pain and detatched from reality.

They can fight like men posessed and rag doll arresting officers.

The death is sad, for sure, but none of the injuries are unusual for a forceful restraint, with the facial injuries caused by the arrested bashing their face or moving it across a rough surface as they are pinned to the ground.

There is nothing in that article that would indicate his race was even relevant, the family, are , naturally, looking for someone to blame.

Demonstrating excessive force is really difficult - though the accusation of "police assault" is often done- most ususally by prisoners who are "resisting arrest"- otherwise known as fighting with the police.

The police DESERVE protection from violent people- most charges of police assault are dropped by the fiscal from the charge sheets, they dont get enough protection sometimes.

Who is going to protect them then? Is it not part of their job to know how to incapacitate an aggressive or violent person or situation? They stand by and watch football fans break the law every week in normal times?

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

64E19C41-FB8E-4C75-A93B-16AC3B1FA81D.jpeg

I can't think of a better photo to destroy this silly claim that "both sides are the same".

Both sides are not the same and they never will be.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

I can't think of a better photo to destroy this silly claim that "both sides are the same".

This guy and his mates went there to protect people, not sure wha the folk paid to do it were up to though. I hope the guy he helped will change his ways.

I as as usual watched the news last night What was being discussed was the Atlanta man being arrested by police. It was reported then that the first cop arrived, found the man asleep in his car and woke and spoke to him. He suspcted liquor was involved in the mans condition told him to park in a location h indicated, and sleep off his condition of possible impairment.

Meanwhile the second cop who was described as angry came and I believe the proper arrest should be carried out. The next scene showed a black man standing quite calmly while the police spoke to him and then moved his left  arm to his back to complete the probably policy action of handcuffing a suspect behind his back, 

Suddenly the suspect became aggressive and struggled violently, the three men went to the ground and continued to wrestle, suddenly the accused  grabbed something from one of the officers belts, obviously a weapon, he wa able to arise and a foot chase followed.

It was seen that in the hand of the accused was something yellow, the lead chasing officer had something similar, both were pointing at the other. The second officer from whom the as it is reported Taser had been stolen had his service weapon in his hand, I did not see it but suspect he fired the fatal round.  

Now comes the why, the first officer was making no arrest for impaired driving, the second officer obviously disagreed and ordered that the arrest be carried out. Why, having hd that experience and later arrested the man we had given a break, the consideration must be  if we let him go and he kills someone through bad driving we are liable for neglect of duty. When the handcuffing seemed tp be going calmly why did the accused start to fight. Why in all the things that come from heaven does a black man in Atlanta Georgia, forcibly take a weapon from a peace officers belt, why keep running, drop the Taser and put your hands up. It would not surprise me that there may be policy or training advising lethal action toward a fleeing suspected felon, now a felon for theft from the police officer, a stretch I know but, it could be offered that the officers could be affected by shots from the Taser enabling the accused to now steal a firearm and kill both.

I know lots of speculation, how mebbe, but I feel I still know how things go down, and the thinking from both sides police and offender is not that of a human being in a normal scenario.

Edited by Sharpie

doctor jambo
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Is that because all the food decent white folks were either at home, or standing with the BLM lot?

Racism is not a white disease.

Slavery was not a white invention.

The nations that STILL have slavery - none of them are white majority nations.

Every nation/ empire indulged in slavery.

Every nation has an issue with racism.

We are better than nearly anyone else.

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Is that because all the food decent white folks were either at home, or standing with the BLM lot?

Approaching the point, funny enough.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Racism is not a white disease.

Slavery was not a white invention.

The nations that STILL have slavery - none of them are white majority nations.

Every nation/ empire indulged in slavery.

Every nation has an issue with racism.

We are better than nearly anyone else.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Non-Sequitur

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Approaching the point, funny enough.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Non-Sequitur

I would hate to think that anyone was drawing the conclusion that the white nutters at the demos were on my "side" or even vaguely representative.

They are not.

The second part is not a logical fallacy.

We have people in this country generalising about "the white race" whatever the hell that is, and ripping down statues- you know, destroying history.

I always have reservations about destroying historical artifacts that do not fit with current political thinking.

Sure the dudes on the podiums had the thoughts, attitudes and beliefs of their time, and those views are now extremely out dated and offensive, but until BLM started to point out the statues, nobody really new anything about them, or gave them a glance.

I can differentiate between then and now, and dont see the statues as celebrating racism/slavery and so on.

I have seen no evidence that the statue of James George Smith Neil in Ayr was a site of pilgrimage for far right bangers.

Seagulls sure, white extremists, no.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We have people in this country generalising about "the white race" whatever the hell that is

And we have people in this thread (read: you) thinking you're being referred to by a post that has absolutely nothing to do with you. Leading you to believe several completely irrelevant statements in reply are actually on-topic to the point of the post.

Maybe there's something to be learned from that, some potential perspective on how much of your reaction to all this is simply your own fragility. Might be good to take a step back and have a think--and preferably do it in the shoes of someone else for a change.

8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I would hate to think that anyone was drawing the conclusion that the white nutters at the demos were on my "side" or even vaguely representative.

Just for complete clarity, the people I'm referring to in my post are those here, and elsewhere, who call antifa fascists, or claim that the far right and antifa are "the same". Seeing as you haven't done this, and just disavowed that ridiculous idea as well, that post isn't about you at all.

(Likewise when "white people" are referred to--"generalised about"--and whatever's being referred to doesn't apply to you.)

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

And we have people in this thread (read: you) thinking you're being referred to by a post that has absolutely nothing to do with you. Leading you to believe several completely irrelevant statements in reply are actually on-topic to the point of the post.

Maybe there's something to be learned from that, some potential perspective on how much of your reaction to all this is simply your own fragility. Might be good to take a step back and have a think--and preferably do it in the shoes of someone else for a change.

No fragility here.

Just not in favour of pandering to extremists even if I agree with their views on some things.

Nor in favour of destroying statues/monuments that I may find challenging- or books for that matter.

I believe in democratic mandate, and I have yet to see evidence that the general population have agreed to the whole "statue" thing.

If the public want that, they can vote for a party that will chuck it in a manifesto, you lose, you wait another 5 years for the chance.

Otherwise you end up ruled by a violent tyranical minority