Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

2 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

It's a valiant attempt at rage by many posters.  How dare Hickey want to play for Celtic!

Look, if we had our act together - hell, even if we'd finished 10th in the premiership - we'd be in a much stronger position.  As it stands, we are a shambles and Hickey - being a decent young player - is quite right to pick wherever he wants to go.  It's actually ridiculous that folk think celtic isn't a good option for him, if he chooses them.  Obviously we'd all prefer him to go to Bayern (or anyone but Celtic!), but to say it's not a good move for him is total shite.  Kilmarnock would be a decent move for him at the moment! (and no offence to Kilmarnock, I just mean they are in a better place to develop Hickey than we are at present!)

Basically I’m a Hearts supporter, and not a Hickey supporter. Add to that, I’m also not a Celtic supporter, and I’m amazed you or anyone else could even feel the way they do.

Will you follow his career and cheer him on in “the hoops” if he goes there? :lol:

All the best Aaron, hope you beat us in multiple cup finals, mate. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, The Treasurer said:

So if reports are correct then they rate Turnbull as worth 7-8 times what Hickey is  ?????

They didn’t orchestrate a season ending vote that stuck Motherwell in the division below with a quarter of the season left to play though... so y’know.

6 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

It's a valiant attempt at rage by many posters.  How dare Hickey want to play for Celtic!

Look, if we had our act together - hell, even if we'd finished 10th in the premiership - we'd be in a much stronger position.  As it stands, we are a shambles and Hickey - being a decent young player - is quite right to pick wherever he wants to go.  It's actually ridiculous that folk think celtic isn't a good option for him, if he chooses them.  Obviously we'd all prefer him to go to Bayern (or anyone but Celtic!), but to say it's not a good move for him is total shite.  Kilmarnock would be a decent move for him at the moment! (and no offence to Kilmarnock, I just mean they are in a better place to develop Hickey than we are at present!)

:olly:

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We won’t have to make that call though. He either goes abroad this summer and we get £1.5-2m less 30% or he goes to Celtic in January for no more than £150k. In the hierarchy of who wins on this deal unless he goes abroad we are big losers. Celtic can only win as can Hickey. 

Will be gutted if he opts for Celtic. I've not lost hope that he'll join Bologna or Bayern... I mean he went all the way over there during a pandemic - so must have been/is serious considering them. It's not the actions of someone 'going through the motions' while secretly knowing he's going to be signing for someone else.

I've had a good look at the DR (I know!)… can't find a thing on him joining Celtic. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Leveins Battalion

My thoughts on Aaron Hickey are that if he doesn't want to play for Hearts then i don't give a shit if he goes to the Mhanks or anybody else.

We have lost far better players than this laddie in my lifetime and i will lose zero sleep on him leaving.

As i said previously i rank Gary Naismith and Lee Wallace above Hickey in home grown left backs.

18Jambo_dave74

I have to be honest and say that since the start of all this I've been pretty annoyed that Hickey has refused to sign a new deal with us even if purely to ensure that we receive a higher fee for him. If I remember correctly we've had guys in the past who have done this such as Gordon and McCann. I'm pretty sure that the sell on clause we have on Paterson is only because he insisted on it. 

Played in a Scottish Cup Final at 16 (youngest to ever start a Scottish Cup final, I think?) and has ever since been a first team regular under various managers. Of course the lad has to do what's best for him and I'm looking at it purely as a biased fan but would have been nice to see that loyalty repaid. 

As for where he goes next and the manner of the move (i.e. potentially running down his contract) I'll wait and see what transpires first.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but without trawling through all 27 pages, does anyone know when hickey originally signed for us as a kid, before going to Celtic? why he went, there, for a year then came back? Also, when he went to Celtic, is there any reason, we did not put a sell on clause? too young? presumably when he came back to us 2 years ago, it was his first professional contract, hence I still can't see how Celtic could claim 30 percent sell on?

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

My thoughts on Aaron Hickey are that if he doesn't want to play for Hearts then i don't give a shit if he goes to the Mhanks or anybody else.

We have lost far better players than this laddie in my lifetime and i will lose zero sleep on him leaving.

As i said previously i rank Gary Naismith and Lee Wallace above Hickey in home grown left backs.

The point being though, we are consigned to a season in the division below with a vastly reduced income stream and we need to rebuild our first team squad. Celtic are manipulating the situation to try and prevent us taking in close to two million, whilst offering us a deal that would net us £180k. Surely you can see how that might get up people’s noses?

4 minutes ago, Torry loon said:

I'm sure this has been covered before, but without trawling through all 27 pages, does anyone know when hickey originally signed for us as a kid, before going to Celtic? why he went, there, for a year then came back? Also, when he went to Celtic, is there any reason, we did not put a sell on clause? too young? presumably when he came back to us 2 years ago, it was his first professional contract, hence I still can't see how Celtic could claim 30 percent sell on?

He started at Hearts. Went to Celtic, then came back to us. 

Welcome by the way. First post, I noticed. 👍

5 minutes ago, Torry loon said:

He was at Celtic before he came to us.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

His dad will be just looking out for his son like any other dad would son for their son.  He now has choices and ultimately it’ll come down to what’s best for his son and nothing else.  Our club won’t even come into their thinking with regards to a transfer fee I would guess.

He can go to Celtic and live at home where his dad will be able to keep him on the straight and narrow. Not that I’m suggesting he’s not a level headed boy. He’s still young and maybe the plan will be to move him on when he’s 22 for a huge fee. Probably following the blueprint of Andy Robertson. If he fulfils his potential then he could be filthy rich as a young man. 

I wish the young lad well in his career. It’s a shame that we won’t be able to cash in on him but there’s no need to give him the abuse that some posters have aimed his way. 

Good luck Aaron. I’ll always think of you as  a jambo! 

As the father of a son not much older than Hickey, I don't agree with that.  If my son was with another club (Aberdeen, say) and in a position where he could sign for either Bayern, Bolgna or Hearts, I'd be encouraging him to go for either Bolgna or Bayern.  Maybe the fact that I've worked in France, Italy and Germany at various times colours my views but, while I'd love to see him in Maroon (it'll never happen - he's inherited my fitba' abilities!), the experience of life abroad while earning good money should be jumped at.  As for the language issue - at that age, absorbing a new language is as easy as it will ever be.  It just needs effort, which is something the British are very poor at.

Hickey's dad may well be influencing him on what he considers is best for him.  It's certainly not the only option for a parent.

3 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

The point being though, we are consigned to a season in the division below with a vastly reduced income stream and we need to rebuild our first team squad. Celtic are manipulating the situation to try and prevent us taking in close to two million, whilst offering us a deal that would net us £180k. Surely you can see how that might get up people’s noses?

Just another effect of our expulsion that will go unrecognised and uncompensated.

Bazzas right boot
24 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

That's a slaver carpet bombing of the highest order. 

Really is. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just another effect of our expulsion that will go unrecognised and uncompensated.

It’s cool though. We can blame it on Levein and Sturgeon, and all sit and cheer on Hickey as he plays top flight football v St Mirren. :rofl:

34 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Interesting, thanks David. Like learning wee factoids like that. It doesn’t change my opinion, but it genuinely is nice to learn wee bits and bobs as we go along. 👍

A Celtic friend of mine ( I know) always thought Wallace was one of the best signings Celtic ever made. Whilst the cheaper of the two players he turned out to be by far the better player. I think Celtic paid around £35000 for him. A steal, even at that time. Wallace was a very intelligent player who could drift around the front area and he could score as well. 

4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

He started at Hearts. Went to Celtic, then came back to us. 

Welcome by the way. First post, I noticed. 👍

Not sure when he joined Hearts originally.

But left aged 12 for 4 years at Celtic. 

Just now, David Black said:

A Celtic friend of mine ( I know) always thought Wallace was one of the best signings Celtic ever made. Whilst the cheaper of the two players he turned out to be by far the better player. I think Celtic paid around £35000 for him. A steal, even at that time. Wallace was a very intelligent player who could drift around the front area and he could score as well. 

Wallace was in dispute with Hearts over his contract. Selling him was probably seen as a good thing at the time by the Hearts board. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah, sound Mikey. So exactly as I said then? 👍

26 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Good luck Aaron not, goes there I would be surprised bearing in mind we have turned them down so many times. I was told Ms Budge did not want to deal with them as they will want him on cheap with no sell on as they are due a cut anyway.

As for you saying we won't be able to cash in on him, dear oh dear.

Wether we want to deal with them or not, there’s no denying that he could end up there for just the cost of a development fee...less 30%. Imo then that’s hardly cashing in on him.

His stock is high right now and I’m sure we are desperate for him to move away from Scotland  and cash in our chips. What we are not factoring in is what the lad and his ‘advisors’  want. We can’t force him to sign, even if we accept an offer.  So imo I don’t think we’ll get more than the £400k development fee less their cut. I’m just hoping he takes the road out of Scotland and miles away from Glasgow’s East end. 

If Bayern, Bologna and villa have all made offers then there’s got to be a reason he’s taking his time and not signing. He’s either weighing up a move abroad or he’s going to sit tight and run down his contract. If he chooses the latter then in a little over 16 weeks he can sign for them for free. 

I’m sure there’s people behind Aaron pulling his strings and the anger isn’t towards Hickey himself but more to do with his dad, his agent and one of the most scummiest clubs and their fans, on the planet. 

2 minutes ago, David Black said:

We all have them, tbh: Friends who support other clubs. The husband of a friend of mine (who I probably also consider a good friend nowadays) supports them. I tell him frequently that I utterly despise his football club and wish them nothing but misery. 😄🤷‍♂️

Willie Hamilton genius
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Wallace was in dispute with Hearts over his contract. Selling him was probably seen as a good thing at the time by the Hearts board. 

Not just in dispute, he didn't try a leg during his last games.

Was a hero before that, but definitely tapped up by Selick

If he ends up at celtic can't say I will be too bothered.  He's part of one of the worst hearts squads ever assembled, I won't lose sleep about any of the losers leaving.

1 minute ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Wether we want to deal with them or not, there’s no denying that he could end up there for just the cost of a development fee...less 30%. Imo then that’s hardly cashing in on him.

His stock is high right now and I’m sure we are desperate for him to move away from Scotland  and cash in our chips. What we are not factoring in is what the lad and his ‘advisors’  want. We can’t force him to sign, even if we accept an offer.  So imo I don’t think we’ll get more than the £400k development fee less their cut. I’m just hoping he takes the road out of Scotland and miles away from Glasgow’s East end. 

If Bayern, Bologna and villa have all made offers then there’s got to be a reason he’s taking his time and not signing. He’s either weighing up a move abroad or he’s going to sit tight and run down his contract. If he chooses the latter then in a little over 16 weeks he can sign for them for free. 

I’m sure there’s people behind Aaron pulling his strings and the anger isn’t towards Hickey himself but more to do with his dad, his agent and one of the most scummiest clubs and their fans, on the planet. 

Celtic have offered us £400k minus their 25/30% sell on.

Who cares if he goes for a development fee at the end of the season instead? 🤷‍♂️

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

If he ends up at celtic can't say I will be too bothered.  He's part of one of the worst hearts squads ever assembled, I won't lose sleep about any of the losers leaving.

If he chooses celtic over Bayern or bologna it would have cost us about £1.2m. 

Hearts will be bothered, even if you're not. 

kingantti1874
35 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

it’s not rage  😂 it s disappointing that a top young player would choose the easy option, attempt to deny the club money( Celtic will lowball) and go to play for utter filth despised by the vast majority of hearts fans with fully functioning eyes and ears.. 

8 minutes ago, Willie Hamilton genius said:

See my earlier link. Scored four goals in one half towards the end. Without even trying? 

1 hour ago, dode said:

To be fair he’s still a kid moving to a different country new language he might not be ready to try it. 
On a positive Celtic, if it’s his destination should pay through the nose for missing out on identifying his potential. 
All that being said I would opt for Bayern even if it’s just to have it on his CV . 

Germany would probably be one of the easier places to go to. Never had an issue with English when I was over there

4 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

Hickey should not play for Heart of Midlothian football club again if he opts to assist Celtic in screwing us over here by rejecting offers to move at the end of the season on a free/development fee.

Offer a 2 year extension with a £2m release clause (Bayern would likely meet that) and offer him a 5% transfer fee with increased wage, if he rejects with intention if joining Celtic for peanuts then he doesn't play and only trains for fitness/stamina - limited ballwork. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

cheers

I though he only went to THEM for 1 season. Kind of explains why they want a fee if he was there for 4 years

Just now, Torry loon said:

cheers

I though he only went to THEM for 1 season. Kind of explains why they want a fee if he was there for 4 years.

Nobody is questioning why they might want a fee though. 

SectionDJambo

If Hickey wants to play for Celtic, he would have ended up there at the end of any contract. I would imagine that if Celtic want him now,  it's because it's a cheap option for them. They can take him from Hearts, very cheaply, thereby causing us further financial grief, and punt him at some time in the future if, as is not impossible, he doesn't mature to be the player his dad thinks he'll be. He's a long way from being a superstar, even in Scottish terms, although the Scottish sports media will have him hailed as the next coming.

Hearts are, unfortunately, in a no win situation here. We'd be better getting any cash we can for him, before it comes down to a development fee.

This is the law of the jungle, in football terms. Tapping players through agents is a worldwide activity. It's probably happening with Morellos now, to the disadvantage of Rangers. It just depends on where we are in the food chain of football, as to whether we gain or lose to this age old activity.

We could look at the lack of progress Ryan Gauld made at Sporting Lisbon and say we can understand why he would turn down a potentially life changing move to Bayern Munich. Then we can but wonder why he would rather train with Scott Brown, a player whose lack of ambition, and talent, has restricted him to cheap medals, than the likes of Thomas Muller, a player who has acheived almost everything possible in the world game.

All, so he can play fur ra hoops. 😟 Brainwashed.

19 minutes ago, Willie Hamilton genius said:

Correct! Stein tapped him.

Edited by Thomaso

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, Gone said:

Germany would probably be one of the easier places to go to. Never had an issue with English when I was over there

See what Jadon Sancho is acheiving with Borussia Dortmund. It's a different world, which British boys can thrive in. The Germans have a healthy respect for the Scots.  They even admire the part of our football, which is playing with the heart,  if lacking in technical ability.

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Season ticket holder

Says it all. 😏

Edited by Thomaso

3 minutes ago, Torry loon said:

cheers

I though he only went to THEM for 1 season. Kind of explains why they want a fee if he was there for 4 years

Yeah

The '1 year at Celtic' still goes about.

He won a tournament with Celtic U13s which I've seen the picture.

We agreed a % instead of paying a development fee it seems. Not the worst thing to do. 

ToadKiller Dog
3 minutes ago, Gone said:

I agree ,I've been to Germany countless times and my poor lack of German never an issue even outside tourist areas .

,Andy Murray was sent to Spain to develop his talent at a young age ,if that didn't happen and he just stayed at his local tennis club  he would likely be working in a bank these days .

Plenty students at 18 go to study in Europe. 

So much stuff about the Bayern set up and progression online , lots of different nationalities make it ,way beyond anything celtic could offer him.

From 2 years ago .

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/Bundesliga/6-bayern-munich-youth-players-who-could-be-the-next-big-thing-alphonso-davies-514763.jsp

3fingersreid

Goes to Bayern , Bologna or similar he goes with my best wishes

Goes to them I wish him nothing but ill will 

Willie Hamilton genius
19 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

See my earlier link. Scored four goals in one half towards the end. Without even trying? 

Maybe Stein was there that day!

Was a long time ago, but I remember his form plummeted, and some fans even booing him.

27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

The '1 year at Celtic' still goes about.

He won a tournament with Celtic U13s which I've seen the picture.

We agreed a % instead of paying a development fee it seems. Not the worst thing to do. 

What about the “want a fee part of his post”, Mikey?

Your thoughts on that?

19 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Goes to Bayern , Bologna or similar he goes with my best wishes

Goes to them I wish him nothing but ill will 

He would learn more at Bayer in one year,more than several years at Celtic.

37 minutes ago, Gone said:

That and the fact German is just about the easiest language an English speaker can learn. Or the fact that it’s just a couple of hours away on a plane, if you miss yer Mammy’s stovies THAT much.

55 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Didn't know that.

37 minutes ago, Torry loon said:

cheers

I though he only went to THEM for 1 season. Kind of explains why they want a fee if he was there for 4 years.

We agreed a sell on clause rather than pay them a development fee is my understanding.

1 minute ago, Beast Boy said:

What about the “want a fee part of his post”, Mikey?

Your thoughts on that?

Possibly not the right time with today's rumour.

I think there could be a better system to reward youth development. The arrangement with Celtic seems a better reward for their development than whatever the fee would have been. 

Rewards success too. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Possibly not the right time with today's rumour.

I think there could be a better system to reward youth development. The arrangement with Celtic seems a better reward for their development than whatever the fee would have been. 

Rewards success too. 

Why not?