Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Just on the Harry Stone article, the lad is now 18 so hits the minimum criteria for a 5 year deal. His contract expires in 2021. 

I'd really like us to be proactive about this and make sure he's clear about being in the plans, there is a succession plan in place for being first choice etc. We didn't manage the Hickey situation correctly and we're in a position where we need to sell this window now losing out on maximising his value. 

We need to anticipate this ahead of time and get ahead of it before it happens. If Stone flops, we're not losing a massive amount of money, much less than Damour, Martin, Osh, etc. Pereira has literally cost us millions.... Plus, a young player may be more open to taking a move if its not working out to try and save their career. 

I want to see more exciting talent coming through, but until we start to be very conscious of our youngsters contract situations then we're not going to be able to hit that optimum point where we get the most amount of money possible to reinvest in more kids (and hopefully cups!).Being the number 1 club in Scotland for youth development is a goal we should be aggressively pursuing. Its not something dictated by money, because these same kids don't get the opportunity at Celtic or Rangers (hence Hickey and McCrorie leaving despite both being undoubted talents). 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Paolo said:

If it was up to me, I would amend that.  We will sell, but at a premium.  As direct rivals, we deserve more compensation.  So to clubs out with Scotland, £2 million, to either of them, £3 million, just to open talks. 

Have you saw the deal Liverpool struck with Barcalona over Coutinho ? 

Essentially, they inserted a clause where if Barca came in for another one of their players they were then obligated to pay a €100m 'penalty' for them to deter further poaching. 

We could try similar if we had another Walker situation (where its rangers or nothing). Obviously at a much reduced level but could try and push its longevity. E.g. £5m but it lasts 5 years. Depending on how much they want the player we could very well protect our interests domestically for a long time. If we're going to pursue youth development, those 2 clubs are going to attempt to poach players constantly, so its important we devise a method of side stepping their financial advantage. 

14 hours ago, OTT said:

Just on the Harry Stone article, the lad is now 18 so hits the minimum criteria for a 5 year deal. His contract expires in 2021. 

I'd really like us to be proactive about this and make sure he's clear about being in the plans, there is a succession plan in place for being first choice etc. We didn't manage the Hickey situation correctly and we're in a position where we need to sell this window now losing out on maximising his value. 

We need to anticipate this ahead of time and get ahead of it before it happens. 

The recent press article may well be one of the first steps in this. We're essentially announcing publicly that we see him as the future Hearts number 1 if he stays. 

On 20/08/2020 at 11:28, HMFC01 said:

Mad stuff.  I thought Bayern already had their bid accepted.  They are only just going to make it formal in the next 48 hours.  It must be that Bologna have made their bid formal already, I am easily lost in the media crap 😕 I am hoping Bayern match the 1.8m supposedly accepted from Bologna.  Some sort of special deal involving add-ons, %sell-on, initial fee ;) Then a wallop of dosh next year as was said before.

All we need now is another few clubs to come in late and stall it for another 1-2 weeks :uhoh2:

There was never a bid on the table,plenty of interest that was all.

On 20/08/2020 at 12:15, jamboinglasgow said:

On a side note, just seen another 18 year Scottish youth international will be playing in Europe this season, Man City's Lewis Fiorini will play 2nd tier Dutch football for NAC Breda, on loan.

edit: just seen he will come up against 22 year old Scot Frank Ross (who just left Aberdeen) who has just signed for Go Ahead Eagles.

Frank Ross should feel right at home, sure Go Ahead eagles play Scotland the Brave before games

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Frank Ross should feel right at home, sure Go Ahead eagles play Scotland the Brave before games

I did not know they did it before their games, they certainly played it in his announcement video.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I did not know they did it before their games, they certainly played it in his announcement video.

Yeah, certain they've even had tartan strips in the past

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yeah, certain they've even had tartan strips in the past

wonder where that has all come from. Had a look at the wiki and didn't see anything that said why.

Or it could be like Cologne singing their song to the tune of Loch Lomond because they liked the sound of the tune.

On 20/08/2020 at 11:59, jr ewing said:

Taxman may be interested in that idea.

Taxman unlikely to care.

FirstlyI doubt very much if there's anything illegal in structuring a transfer £1.4m loan fee with a final £400k transfer fee.  It may be morally wrong, with the same difference as avoidance and evasion, but ultimately the strict wording of Hickey's transfer agreement between Septic and us will determine how much we pay them in the event of Hickey going elsewhere.  Either way the taxman would regard £1.8m as being a taxable receipt if that indeed is the final total figure.

20 hours ago, OTT said:

We need to anticipate this ahead of time and get ahead of it before it happens. If Stone flops, we're not losing a massive amount of money, much less than Damour, Martin, Osh, etc. Pereira has literally cost us millions.... Plus, a young player may be more open to taking a move if its not working out to try and save their career. 

I want to see more exciting talent coming through, but until we start to be very conscious of our youngsters contract situations then we're not going to be able to hit that optimum point where we get the most amount of money possible to reinvest in more kids (and hopefully cups!).Being the number 1 club in Scotland for youth development is a goal we should be aggressively pursuing. Its not something dictated by money, because these same kids don't get the opportunity at Celtic or Rangers (hence Hickey and McCrorie leaving despite both being undoubted talents). 

How did we not manage the Hickey situation correctly?

It seems we have been in constant negotiation with him/hisfather and still have not been able to tie him down, possibly because his affections lie with Septic.  You can take a horse to the well but you cannot make it drink.

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

How did we not manage the Hickey situation correctly?

It seems we have been in constant negotiation with him/hisfather and still have not been able to tie him down, possibly because his affections lie with Septic.  You can take a horse to the well but you cannot make it drink.

I think there is an element of needing to make sure our better talents aren't in a position to dictate running down their contract. 

If we don't give 16/17 year olds game time, it means that they are getting their debut from 18+, which means we can offer them a 5 year deal from the off. 

Its maybe poor wording from me, we've gave him his debut with the best of intentions and he's chosen to reject every contract offer and leave us in a position where its now or never this window. 

Looking at Aberdeen getting Mckenna to sign a bumper extension, or Hibs with Cummings, its frustrating that we've been forced into this position multiple times by being reactive to the contract situation of our better talents. Part of the remit of the DOF IMO was to ensure the administrative side of the football department was effective and efficient to ensure we're not exposed to having to sell for what we can get, rather than what we demand. 

I think guys like JJ, Levein etc. have been about the block long enough to spot a top talent like Hickey and be relatively confident he's going to make it. I wouldn't have any reservations now if we offered Cochrane, McDonald, Irving and Smith 5 year deals. Their wages will be low anyway, so its a calculated risk. I'm arguing that we need to proactive and try to anticipate what players are going to make it. Its not an exact science, but if we manage to get it right more than wrong we're making good money. 

TyphoonJambo
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That thing is an assault on the senses.

Its like one of those things you stare tbrough to see a dolphin 

Good news if this is turning into a bidding war amongst some of the European elite.  Anything that involves pricing out the scumbags will work for me.  

1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

Good news if this is turning into a bidding war amongst some of the European elite.  Anything that involves pricing out the scumbags will work for me.  

Personally I can't see this turning into a bidding war in fact I think it's panning out the complete opposite. 

To me it looks like Hickey has been allowed to pick his preferred option without a fee being agreed . 

If as has been reported Bayern are his choice then they hold all the aces . Regardless of what Bologna have offered Bayern can offer what they want knowing the player can hold out till next Summer and go for nothing . 

Don't know the particulars of the negotiations so it's all guesswork, but if I'm right it looks another strange senario . Time will tell I suppose . 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

I think there is an element of needing to make sure our better talents aren't in a position to dictate running down their contract. 

What is the club supposed to do?  Reports suggest we have been in negotiation for months already and he has still has nearly a year to go.

If we don't give 16/17 year olds game time, it means that they are getting their debut from 18+, which means we can offer them a 5 year deal from the off. 

We have given Hickey plenty of game time and we can't offer a 5 year deal until they're 18

Its maybe poor wording from me, we've gave him his debut with the best of intentions and he's chosen to reject every contract offer and leave us in a position where its now or never this window. 

As I said, you can take a horse to the well but cannot make it drink.  What should we do?

Looking at Aberdeen getting Mckenna to sign a bumper extension, or Hibs with Cummings, its frustrating that we've been forced into this position multiple times by being reactive to the contract situation of our better talents. Part of the remit of the DOF IMO was to ensure the administrative side of the football department was effective and efficient to ensure we're not exposed to having to sell for what we can get, rather than what we demand. 

If it suits Aberdeem/Mckenna and Hibs.Cummings then good for them.  It obviously doesn't suit Hickey.  Tell us what we should do about it.

I think guys like JJ, Levein etc. have been about the block long enough to spot a top talent like Hickey and be relatively confident he's going to make it. I wouldn't have any reservations now if we offered Cochrane, McDonald, Irving and Smith 5 year deals. Their wages will be low anyway, so its a calculated risk. I'm arguing that we need to proactive and try to anticipate what players are going to make it. Its not an exact science, but if we manage to get it right more than wrong we're making good money. 

I'm pretty well sure CL did recognise Hickey's talent.  I doubt if he waould have played a 16 year old in a SC final if he thought otherwise.  I don't know the contract siruations of Cochrane, Smith, McDonald or Irving but I'd be surprised if these were not matters constantly under review.

We all share you r frustration re Hickey but unfortunately there seems to be no easy answer

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, gashauskis9 said:

As long as his Dad doesn't talk him into seeing out the remainder and going to Celtic for free.

Then 3 days after signing he's a Scottish international talent worth millions. We all know how it goes.

I'm starting to wonder if he'll be retired before his transfer goes through.  This speculation feels to me that it's been going on forever.

1 hour ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

As long as his Dad doesn't talk him into seeing out the remainder and going to Celtic for free.

Then 3 days after signing he's a Scottish international talent worth millions. We all know how it goes.

This is also my biggest worry. That would be the biggest back stabbing ever and it has also crossed my mind that he could just see out the next few months and sign for them. Just when I thought I couldn’t despise a team more than I do then it’s just went up another notch. Can see them flogging him in 4/5 years time for £20M + 

1 minute ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

This is heading for a ‘no deal’ and a pre contract with the mhanks in January.

Not the first time won't be the last. Disappointing. 

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'm pretty well sure CL did recognise Hickey's talent.  I doubt if he waould have played a 16 year old in a SC final if he thought otherwise.  I don't know the contract siruations of Cochrane, Smith, McDonald or Irving but I'd be surprised if these were not matters constantly under review.

We all share you r frustration re Hickey but unfortunately there seems to be no easy answer

It's a difficult situation but I get the feeling we're a bit soft on it at times. It was obvious he was a player that had a bright future ahead, especially at our level. When he then refused to sign a new deal that should have been him out of the team imo. Why invest and develop a talent that's going to walk away in 18 months time? Is it harsh? Yes but players are happy to take all the development and cash and then turn around and say I'm off for nothing.

No longer active
41 minutes ago, Fluorescent Adolescent said:

This is heading for a ‘no deal’ and a pre contract with the mhanks in January.

If that’s what we think then no more first team appearances for the lad; we don’t need to play him.

He can spend the next 10 months cleaning boots

4 hours ago, OTT said:

Power is with the players. 

But fair to ask why only older guys on are on long contracts. 

A few things may change now. 

Mr Brightside
13 hours ago, OTT said:

McKenna has not been sold yet and arguably Aberdeen will not get a higher bid than they have already rejected.  Cummings was sold for around £400k which was the same we sold Walker for and the development fee we got for Patterson. These are not good examples of other clubs managing contracts better than Hearts.

Your suggestion won’t work as young players won’t choose to join us if they feel forced to sign 5 year deals at 18 as other clubs will give shorter deals. We just need to manage each player individually based on their performances when they break into the first team.

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Power is with the players. 

But fair to ask why only older guys on are on long contracts. 

A few things may change now. 

Because you can't put young guys on long contracts 

32 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

McKenna has not been sold yet and arguably Aberdeen will not get a higher bid than they have already rejected.  Cummings was sold for around £400k which was the same we sold Walker for and the development fee we got for Patterson. These are not good examples of other clubs managing contracts better than Hearts.

Your suggestion won’t work as young players won’t choose to join us if they feel forced to sign 5 year deals at 18 as other clubs will give shorter deals. We just need to manage each player individually based on their performances when they break into the first team.

was the McKenna a loan with an obligation to buy from villa or just the fee if the move worked out. Seemed at the time that villa were gambling everything on promotion 

55 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Correct.

If young players turn out to be good and want to go  - Why didn't we give them a lomg contract?

If they turn out to be not too good and we would like rid of them  - Why did we give them a long contract?

Edited by JamboAl

58 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Yup, people talk about contracts like Hearts hold all the cards! Quite the opposite.

Just now, JamboAl said:

If young players turn out to be good and want to go  - Why didn't we give them a lomg contract?

If they turn out to be not too good - Why did we give them a long contract?

You forgot...

Turn out to be of suitable Hearts standard, even as a squad player and get a new contract - he's shite

2 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

I'll try and not make this reply word soup,

Short term deals are risky for the player. Injuries or a loss of form, or simply not making the step up means you're left at a loose end upon expiry of your deal. Most kids won't make it, but the one or two that do essentially validate the policy. How many times do you hear about players making moves because they felt wanted? Not only that, but it puts the club in a position where we aren't forced to make a cut price sale for the players other clubs want. If a club is prepared to pay good money for a player rather than wait for them to run down their deal or hope we accept a lowball its also a massive vote of confidence in that players ability. 

The examples were based on players being convinced to sign longer term deals. Hibs and Aberdeen failing to capitalise on their players isn't the point. Admittedly, I could have spent time looking for better examples, but honestly, I feel it illustrates the point - it is possible for clubs our size to convince young players to commit to long term deals. 

Appreciate there will be flaws like any idea, but I suspect the main flaw is outliers refusing the 5 year deal, in which case you move to 4 or 3 year deals with a mental note that this player has itchy feet so to try and get them moved on asap. 

Mr Brightside
13 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'll try and not make this reply word soup,

Short term deals are risky for the player. Injuries or a loss of form, or simply not making the step up means you're left at a loose end upon expiry of your deal. Most kids won't make it, but the one or two that do essentially validate the policy. How many times do you hear about players making moves because they felt wanted? Not only that, but it puts the club in a position where we aren't forced to make a cut price sale for the players other clubs want. If a club is prepared to pay good money for a player rather than wait for them to run down their deal or hope we accept a lowball its also a massive vote of confidence in that players ability. 

The examples were based on players being convinced to sign longer term deals. Hibs and Aberdeen failing to capitalise on their players isn't the point. Admittedly, I could have spent time looking for better examples, but honestly, I feel it illustrates the point - it is possible for clubs our size to convince young players to commit to long term deals. 

Appreciate there will be flaws like any idea, but I suspect the main flaw is outliers refusing the 5 year deal, in which case you move to 4 or 3 year deals with a mental note that this player has itchy feet so to try and get them moved on asap. 

Ok, let’s say we get an 18 year old to sign a 5 year deal. They then leave at 23 for a development fee. If they are 24 or older they leave for nothing. 

If we get lucky with a 5 year contract and have a 21 year old who has a 2 years on his deal and is worth circa £2m, we need to sell at that point anyway before he goes into the last year of his deal. If they are attracting that level of interest they won’t sign an extended deal at us as they would get higher wages elsewhere.

I am not convinced that 5 year deals will get us bigger fees but they will block progression for younger players.

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Because you can't put young guys on long contracts 

You can at 18. That's still pretty young.

I don't think it's necessary. A year to go is enough to get a good transfer fee. 

We don't know what Hearts offered Hickey though. 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

You can at 18. That's still pretty young.

I don't think it's necessary. A year to go is enough to get a good transfer fee. 

We don't know what Hearts offered Hickey though. 

Obviously not nearly enough. Pity. 

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think money is an issue - unless you know otherwise.

I would suggest we have offered him whatever we can afford. That may not be enough but it's not Hearts fault. 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think money is an issue - unless you know otherwise.

I think money always plays a part. Hickey seems a climber though that is really focused on his career progression. I think us being relegated made the decision for him. Not sure if we did ever have a chance of keeping him, but reckon he see's himself playing at the highest level. A season in the championship could blow those plans out of the water. More physical league, likely to have been moving on soon anyway, so no point risking serious injury playing against some of the cloggers in that league. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Ok, let’s say we get an 18 year old to sign a 5 year deal. They then leave at 23 for a development fee. If they are 24 or older they leave for nothing. 

If we get lucky with a 5 year contract and have a 21 year old who has a 2 years on his deal and is worth circa £2m, we need to sell at that point anyway before he goes into the last year of his deal. If they are attracting that level of interest they won’t sign an extended deal at us as they would get higher wages elsewhere.

I am not convinced that 5 year deals will get us bigger fees but they will block progression for younger players.

Ironically Bosman  has done so much damage to to the majority of clubs where finances are significantly aided by transfer fees. Just so the elite players could earn hundreds of thousands a week. Well done son. 

12 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think money always plays a part. Hickey seems a climber though that is really focused on his career progression. I think us being relegated made the decision for him. Not sure if we did ever have a chance of keeping him, but reckon he see's himself playing at the highest level. A season in the championship could blow those plans out of the water. More physical league, likely to have been moving on soon anyway, so no point risking serious injury playing against some of the cloggers in that league. 

He's not going to develop & progress at Hearts as things stand : that's the simple truth. And the idea of him playing in the Championship must be a non starter.  If it's true he has been talking to Bayern (and assuming they are genuinely interested in him) then I don't understand why he would even consider talking to Celtic. 

On 19/08/2020 at 16:32, ToqueJambo said:

If you look at the background of many of the people who make it to the top it's that single-mindedness that gets them there. Celtic will be the soft, easy option and he's likely to then have a soft, easy career. Not the worst outcome, but he'd always wonder what might have been.

Not if he has zero ambition. From my perspective he'd be totally insane to not jump at either the Bayern or Bologna options but at the end of the day that might be all he wants from life.

19 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm starting to wonder if he'll be retired before his transfer goes through.  This speculation feels to me that it's been going on forever.

Certainly doesn't seem to be in the 'straightforward to deal with category'

3 hours ago, OTT said:

I don't think money is the main issue here with Hickey and if it were I'd be surprised if one of our benefactors didn't step forward.  My guess is that his heart lies with Septic but he is in a position with time to consider wider options.

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Ironically Bosman  has done so much damage to to the majority of clubs where finances are significantly aided by transfer fees. Just so the elite players could earn hundreds of thousands a week. Well done son. 

Sadly, if the likes of Jim McLean hadn't treated young players so badly by bullying them into long term contracts, and then making life very awkward for them if they asked for a rise in their wages, Bosman wouldn't have needed to rebel against the archaic system.

Nobody in a normal job would have been happy to have the kind of contract bullying that footballers had to put up with, prior to Bosman.

It has, however, now gone too far the other way.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sadly, if the likes of Jim McLean hadn't treated young players so badly by bullying them into long term contracts, and then making life very awkward for them if they asked for a rise in their wages, Bosman wouldn't have needed to rebel against the archaic system.

Nobody in a normal job would have been happy to have the kind of contract bullying that footballers had to put up with, prior to Bosman.

It has, however, now gone too far the other way.

I don't think McLean entered into the equation as far as Bosman was concerned.  Outside of McLean was there any other manager in Scotland who behaved this way?

SectionDJambo
58 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I don't think McLean entered into the equation as far as Bosman was concerned.  Outside of McLean was there any other manager in Scotland who behaved this way?

Probably Alex Ferguson and Jock Stein. Hearts weren’t too clever at times either. It was fairly normal practice. Some clubs didn’t treat players very well, holding them to cheap contracts and managers tended to be guys who ruled by fear, or had a hard headed board of directors.

The aforementioned Alex Ferguson, in my view, showed remarkable man management of players at Manchester United, post Bosman. He generally managed to keep players motivated and loyal, without the iron clad contracts that had been the norm previously. Apart from the odd exceptions, like David Beckham having a plaster over his eye after an altercation with a flying boot.

McLean had a reputation for snaring young players on long contracts, and being very difficult if an opportunity came for any of them to move on. Duncan Ferguson, for one, had a major spat with him before he got his move.

Rocky jamboa

I think Hearts have done all they can to keep Hickey. His dad seems to have been hard to deal with and maybe they have been tapped up by c*ltic. I wouldn't be surprised!

For Hickey, you can't really blame him for wanting to move on. Hope he is sensible enough to choose anyone other than a trip along the m8