Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

AllyjamboDerbyshire
Just now, upgotheheads said:

It will all boil down to what kind of personality AH is, and what kind of parents he has. The move to a foreign country (albeit only a couple of hours away, and probably in the club's private jet) is not to be undertaken lightly. I did something similar and it was only Engerlund, although I had none of the support from my employers and family that Aaron will have. Does he want a life-changing experience, perhaps being fluent in German in a couple of years, playing at the highest level in the world, and to be financially secure for life? Or does he want to hang about in the west of Scotland old-firm bubble, being pestered by knuckle dragging morons if he so much as goes out for a beer with his pals - even if he's set up financially?

Now for some that would be a tough choice, but from what I've seen and heard of Aaron and his background I'm guessing he will be off to Germany or maybe Italy.

He can have a very bright future and a wonderful life-enhancing experience for any smart young bloke.

Don't blow it Aaron.

While I agree with everything you said, I can only think back to when I was a 17 year old hopeful and say that if I'd had the choice of Hearts or the opportunity and lifestyle that would greet Hickey at Bayern, I'd have chosen Hearts. Different era (50 years ago), of course, with travel between countries so much easier and more the norm now, but it's still a huge step, for anyone, let alone a 17 year old. I couldn't, therefore,  blame Hickey if he does 'make the wrong choice' and decide that a life at home and a career with Celtic is the way to go.

Genuinely wish I'd had the same dilemma.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Radical thought, but just maybe when we recruit youngsters, or development players we should build it into their contracts that if they develop and are sold on, the arse cheeks won’t be considered and that we will promote a pathway to either England or abroad 

It’s an interesting proposition for any young player who has talent and a sensible head on their shoulders if they want to have a real career in the game 

33 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

In that case they can **** off. 

I completely agree! 

I just have a bad feeling he may stall on a move abroad. 

Hopefully it goes through smoothly and he flourishes in Germany, France or Italy. 

3 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

Trying to get my head around Mrs Lambert not being able to settle in Dortmund, in an absolutely fantastic country with a great climate, great services and facilities, good decent people and a rich culture... because she was homesick for the knive capital of Europe. :lol:

Only ever been to Berlin,  but it was a cracking city, and very friendly. Lots to see and do too.   Not traveled to loads of places, but a few, and it is a favourite of mine. I am sure Munich will be similar.  I did not have the added excitement of playing for one of Europe’s best football g sides. 

Just now, Paolo said:

Only ever been to Berlin,  but it was a cracking city, and very friendly. Lots to see and do too.   Not traveled to loads of places, but a few, and it is a favourite of mine. I am sure Munich will be similar.  I did not have the added excitement of playing for one of Europe’s best football g sides. 

Munich is a cracking city with beautiful countryside surrounding it. Its very different from Berlin. Always thought Berlin was very un German if that makes sense?

Berlin has the best kebabs though 🤔🤔

Just now, Paolo said:

Been to Wolfsburg, Berlin, Bonn and Frankfurt. Love Germany, a great country in my experience.

2 minutes ago, Beast Boy said:

The incarnation of agents played a part too.

Undoubtedly, plus the inflation of players wages, arguably down to the very incarnation you allude to. It's extremely difficult for teams like us to hold on to talented player's, simply because we can't afford the wages on offer elsewhere. The bigger leagues in Europe have reached stratospheric levels of finance and closer to home the financial wall between ourselves and the old firm is difficult to breach. Imagine trying to hold onto Robbo in the current climate....

MarkDevriesScores4

The other thing for the lad to consider is if he stays in Scotland, his league football will likely be cancelled by January due to the sheer tinpot set up we have. If he goes to Germany, the season will get finished.

upgotheheads
14 minutes ago, Shanks said:

I get what you're saying but it doesn't always work out, just look at Ryan Gauld.  Everyone was creaming their pants that he was going to "experience an amazing culture" and going to Portugal would be an amazing move and brilliant for scottish football.

Gauld left Dundee United and went abroad, Armstrong left Dundee United and went to celtic.  Easy to see who made the correct decision.

Now I'm not saying that's what Hickey should do, although I would understand it if he see playing for celtic as a better move than playing in the third tier of german football with Bayern II

When Gauld went to Portugal he was seen as a speculative investment there I think. Football in Portugal and Spain is all about  skill which Gauld has. Here it's about pace and strength. I was at a Dundee United Hearts game about 10 years ago when Gauld came on as a sub for the last 10 minutes or so, he would  have been about16 at the time. His skill was obvious but the best player on the park by a distance was Armstrong with his pace and strength, although he was a three or four older than Gauld.

It's a shame about Gauld because it's hard to see him progressing now, but Hickey is a better player now than Armstrong was then and he's a couple of years younger than Armstrong was when I saw him.

3 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Undoubtedly, plus the inflation of players wages, arguably down to the very incarnation you allude to. It's extremely difficult for teams like us to hold on to talented player's, simply because we can't afford the wages on offer elsewhere. The bigger leagues in Europe have reached stratospheric levels of finance and closer to home the financial wall between ourselves and the old firm is difficult to breach. Imagine trying to hold onto Robbo in the current climate....

Yep. Bang on the cash.

1 minute ago, jambo_74 said:

Spot on. It’s more around getting them into the 1st team and giving them a playing platform where they can attract interested and bigger suitors and scouts from bigger clubs  - excluding the OF 

Ensuring that the development contracts Are written as such and are designed to give the player the opportunity to mark a pathway to the dizzy heights 

the reality for these same players is probably only 5-10% may make it but it’s a better way to encourage the best talent to come to us, knowing that if they perform we won’t hold them back when it comes to the big bucks that is on offer in other leagues around Europe 

8 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Munich is a cracking city with beautiful countryside surrounding it. Its very different from Berlin. Always thought Berlin was very un German if that makes sense?

Unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Radical thought, but just maybe when we recruit youngsters, or development players we should build it into their contracts that if they develop and are sold on, the arse cheeks won’t be considered and that we will promote a pathway to either England or abroad 

It’s an interesting proposition for any young player who has talent and a sensible head on their shoulders if they want to have a real career in the game 

He's a one off. Academy has not been economically viable. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Who could ignore the allure of currywurst? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nobody with any taste. Munich should put that in his contract offer. Deal done. 

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Aye but Aladdin’s chippie... 🤷‍♂️

Allowayjambo1874

Watching many of Si Ferry’s interviews it’s amazing how often players say they went to clubs because the manager/club made them feel wanted and that they really wanted the player. Bayern Munich & Bologna have taken AH over to look at their training camps, shown him the life he can expect and put in big bids to Hearts and offered him 4-5 year contracts. Celtic meanwhile have put in a paltry bid and seem to be relying on the ‘one of us’ mantra. It’s like they have not learned from the McGinn saga. If Celtic really wanted this kid they should make us an offer we cannot refuse and try and wow him with the promise of trophies whilst remaining in Scotland. They haven’t. Even though his father is apparently a huge fan the way they are going about this isn’t going to impress anyone, if he sticks around to go to them after all this he (and his family) are mugs of the highest order. 

Italian Lambretta
9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

And ofcourse Apple Strudel 

2 minutes ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Watching many of Si Ferry’s interviews it’s amazing how often players say they went to clubs because the manager/club made them feel wanted and that they really wanted the player. Bayern Munich & Bologna have taken AH over to look at their training camps, shown him the life he can expect and put in big bids to Hearts and offered him 4-5 year contracts. Celtic meanwhile have put in a paltry bid and seem to be relying on the ‘one of us’ mantra. It’s like they have not learned from the McGinn saga. If Celtic really wanted this kid they should make us an offer we cannot refuse and try and wow him with the promise of trophies whilst remaining in Scotland. They haven’t. Even though his father is apparently a huge fan the way they are going about this isn’t going to impress anyone, if he sticks around to go to them after all this he (and his family) are mugs of the highest order. 

Totally agree. Suppose that’s what separates the proper clubs from the shite.

1 minute ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Well said.

The OF are so used to tapping a player up from another Scottish club and basically having it them manipulated to suit them that they're stuck doing that.  The world's a smaller place now and they have competition beyond our borders.  Yeah you'll still get Jake Hastie's who go and sit on their bench, but when someone is truly in demand like Aaron or John McGinn, they don't seem to adapt their bully-boy tactics and lose out to proper clubs doing things properly.

Perhaps Bayern do the same to German clubs, Madrid to Spanish etc.  One thing noticable down south is that the selling club seem to hold the cards - very much the opposite up here if it's the OF after your player.

37 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Kebabs are excellent.    Here they are good if you are pissed. There, they excellent.  Best ever. 

41 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Impossible to implement I’d guess, youngster gets himself a new agent and legally challenges original agreement, we wouldn’t have a leg to stand on

We must have the courage of our judgement and put our best young players on longer contracts

If Craig Levein had the confidence and belief to play Hickey in a cup final at 16 he should have  told him we are going to give you a four year contract at X a year as soon as you are old enough, show him you have belief in him, not just Hickey, any kid, you must back your judgment as a club, you won’t get it right every time obviously 

In hindsight we could have kept Hickey away from prying eyes and not played him at first team level until we had him tied down to a longer contract ...

2 minutes ago, Paolo said:

Kebabs are excellent.    Here they are good if you are pissed. There, they excellent.  Best ever. 

Agreed. As soon as I get to Berlin my first stop is for a kebab........then a beer 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Impossible to implement I’d guess, youngster gets himself a new agent and legally challenges original agreement, we wouldn’t have a leg to stand on

We must have the courage of our judgement and put our best young players on longer contracts

If Craig Levein had the confidence and belief to play Hickey in a cup final at 16 he should have  told him we are going to give you a four year contract at X a year as soon as you are old enough, show him you have belief in him, not just Hickey, any kid, you must back your judgment as a club, you won’t get it right every time obviously 

In hindsight we could have kept Hickey away from prying eyes and not played him at first team level until we had him tied down to a longer contract ...

We have been trying to get Hickey to agree to improved terms for months. You can't put this one at Leveins door. One of the exceptions I grant you. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

We have been trying to get Hickey to agree to improved terms for months. You can't put this one at Leveins door. One of the exceptions I grant you. 

Well you can. He was signed during Levein’s tenure as top dog, on a 3-year contract with a 30% sell on clause. Surely, like other clubs (Hibs included) tie quality youth down on a 5-year contract, the contract won’t cost anything like those rejects he was quick enough handing out bumper 3-year deals.

1 minute ago, on&up2017 said:

Well you can. He was signed during Levein’s tenure as top dog, on a 3-year contract with a 30% sell on clause. Surely, like other clubs (Hibs included) tie quality youth down on a 5-year contract, the contract won’t cost anything like those rejects he was quick enough handing out bumper 3-year deals.

Wait a minute. When we were handing out 5 year deals people were having a dig. Seems you can't win. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Wait a minute. When we were handing out 5 year deals people were having a dig. Seems you can't win. 

Agreed, but there are occasions where you need to gamble and back your judgment, granted you won’t get it right every time, but if he had faith in Hickey to play him in a cup final at 16, there should steps in place to put him on a longer contract

Our academy has not made us any real returns since Berra and Gordon in 2008 and 2007

We must get it sorted with regards to the rewards, part of that is getting your better young players on longer contracts, one answer would be don’t play them in the first team till they are at least 18 and we have them tied down, a bit of cutting your nose off to spite your face there..

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I did see the Daily Record report that its a 4 year contract he is getting from Bayern.

They also said sell on for Celtic was around 25 per cent.....

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Agreed, but there are occasions where you need to gamble and back your judgment, granted you won’t get it right every time, but if he had faith in Hickey to play him in a cup final at 16, there should steps in place to put him on a longer contract

Our academy has not made us any real returns since Berra and Gordon in 2008 and 2007

We must get it sorted with regards to the rewards, part of that is getting your better young players on longer contracts, one answer would be don’t play them in the first team till they are at least 18 and we have them tied down, a bit of cutting your nose off to spite your face there..

If they are good enough they are old enough. Hickey has obviously developed quicker than others. He was offered a new improved deal when he broke into the first team squad. I wouldn't be handing 5 year deals to 16 year olds considering a lot will end up not making it. 

I'm not a football administrator though I suppose 😁😁

Just now, Notts1874 said:

If they are good enough they are old enough. Hickey has obviously developed quicker than others. He was offered a new improved deal when he broke into the first team squad. I wouldn't be handing 5 year deals to 16 year olds considering a lot will end up not making it. 

Not neccasrily at 16, but we will never get serious return on any young player if we don’t have them tied down to a reasonable length of contract

its about backing your judgement and timing of when to give them that deal, for example, after a month of playing in the first team, Callum Paterson should have been given a 5 year deal, just an example

22 minutes ago, on&up2017 said:

Am I wrong in thinking his age prohibited a five year deal?

18Jambo_dave74

I have to admit I’m a little bit disappointed that Hickey (or perhaps his dad?) has refused to sign a new contract to ensure that Hearts get a higher fee for him and closer to his true value. It’s clear that Hearts have made a huge effort to try and get him to sign a new contract. Wouldn’t be many clubs that play a 16 year old in a Scottish Cup Final and make him a regular starter thereafter. 

I understand Hickey and his family have to do what’s best for them, I’m just looking at it from the clubs view. As others have said I’d love to see him go to Bayern (or even Bologna would be a great move) and watch his development.

Morgaro Gomis
9 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

You're also not allowed to hand out a 5 year deal to anyone under the age of 18, as far as I am aware. 3 years is the max at that stage, which is what he got. 

A lot of blame can lie at the feet of Levein and the club, Hickey not extending his deal is not one of those, though. 

6 minutes ago, BlingCrosby said:

Am I wrong in thinking his age prohibited a five year deal?

Pretty sure you are right .

Pesky facts again

3 minutes ago, Morgaro Gomis said:

You're also not allowed to hand out a 5 year deal to anyone under the age of 18, as far as I am aware. 3 years is the max at that stage, which is what he got. 

A lot of blame can lie at the feet of Levein and the club, Hickey not extending his deal is not one of those, though. 

I didn't know about the contract length cap. Makes sense if true though. 

Mr Brightside
25 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Had reasonable fees for, Wallace and Templeton.

Also sold Jonsson, McGowan, Walker and Adam King.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
42 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Possibly the likes of Jamie Mole led to a change in strategy in this department. 

Just now, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Possibly the likes of Jamie Mole led to a change in strategy in this department. 

Don't remind me 🤣🤣🤣

Social media is hilarious. Only in Scotland could an 18 years old be offered a five year contract at Bayern Munich and the general response is "what's he going there for?". 

Sometimes people do expect too much from an academy, like we should be bringing through the Man United class of 92 but the reality is that most are lucky to produce a couple of proper first team players every three or four years. That doesn't mean that it isn't valuable though. Academies also provide young cheap sqaud players, who don't hand in a transfer request if they don't play every week which can be crucial over the course of a season. Some go on to have good careers, others plateau early and just fall out the game. But a club like Hearts can't afford to have 2/3 first team players in every position and if we did we would question the attitude of the players weren't playing and call them wage thieves. 

6 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Social media is hilarious. Only in Scotland could an 18 years old be offered a five year contract at Bayern Munich and the general response is "what's he going there for?". 

Hilarious,  getting a 5 year deal at one of the top clubs in the world, probably on a good wage plus signing on fee, world class training facilities and coaching,  why the feck would he want to go there.....😂😂😂

Edited by micole

13 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Totally agree. Its embarrassing 

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

I think it's to do with the length of his contract left and also he has only played circa 30 first team games. 

Even then, 1.5m is buttons to them? If they have already seen enough to want him and think he has the potential to make the first team i thought we might have been able to pit the big clubs against eachother. When you see how much other youngsters are going for in other leagues it seems like relatively low amount. Although Scottish football does seem to be the worst on the planet for letting our talent go cheaply

1 minute ago, Chimp said:

Even then, 1.5m is buttons to them? If they have already seen enough to want him and think he has the potential to make the first team i thought we might have been able to pit the big clubs against eachother. When you see how much other youngsters are going for in other leagues it seems like relatively low amount. Although Scottish football does seem to be the worst on the planet for letting our talent go cheaply

It seems, going by the stories in Italy and Germany the asking price was £1.8m. No idea how accurate that is. 

4 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

"I kent your faither" type comments if you ask me. It's a strange cultural phenomena, not sure if Scotland is the only country to do this but we certainly seem to be the best at it. Rather than celebrating individual success and praising the recipient of that success, we as a nation like to deprecate achievements and drag people down. Weird....

3 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Might be buttons but Bayern are notoriously frugal, it's not a coincidence that they are something like 27 straight season turning a profit and that includes managing to pay off the Allianz Arena 16 years early

Really hope we find out the amount this time and isn't undisclosed like the other recent departures. Bit miffed we didn't get to see more of him in maroon