Hickey - signs for Bologna

communist

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, OTT said:

It is indeed.

I wouldn't say they are mutually exclusive though, we could still have a youthcentric strategy, just with a policy of not playing literal children against grown men. Obviously, i'm pushing it from the perspective of protecting our interests. Clubs like you suggest can come to them and say that, but if McInnes or Ross are away signing bucket loads of journeymen then their opportunities are going to be limited. If we're publicly committed to bringing through youth and our facilities are better than the cow shed hibs have and (Do Aberdeen actually even have facilities.. google has them right on the beach...) then I think its potential damage will be much more reduced. 

It may not be a good idea, but something needs to be thought about in regards to protecting the time, energy and resources (as well as the huge amount of money) to train these kids up. Ultimately 1 good transfer fee can pay for heaps of kids to not make it at hearts. That still gives them a shot at a professional career. The last thing we want is to be considering cutting costs because the results aren't enough. 

What if we did something where we commit to ring fencing a set proportion of every transfer fee we get provided that youngster came from the academy. It sort of puts the ball in their court, in a way that says if you want to run down your contract and ensure we get very little for you, then that will mean less money into the academy for other youngsters. I remember Gordon gave up his portion of the Sunderland transfer to support the youth development programme. So its something the players could get behind I think. 

Its something that needs seriously looked at IMO. Perhaps our new CEO can investigate it with the Arnott and JJ to figure out a positive way to do this (both my ideas seem more on the negative side). 

Not bad, and there are more ways than 1 to skin a cat. 

Sounds daft and too basic, but for Hickey I would have offered something have £5k a week, 4/5 year deal and a % increase. 

£3-£5m  non British release clause, you get 10%

£8-10m brittish team release clause., get 10%.

We chuck £2-£6k at random, so why not an obvious talent, maybe piss folk off?

Youll continue to be our first choice lb as well. 

The boy is a level above and after about 10 games you could see it wasn't form or a fluke,  raw ingredients of a top baller. 

Too late now, championship is no use for him and I think maybe you said it - we wont miss him that much down there, hardly a progressive footballing arena. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Mikey1874

• jamboinglasgow

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatsthefuture
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Deals can be structured in a multitude of ways, I don't have any issue with handing out 5 year deals to young players. We are making a huge investment in our academy. Its important that we do everything in our power to protect that investment. 

You could have the deal set up so they get a year on year increase, appearance incentives tied into it etc. (e.g. make 30 appearances and your wage permanently increases by £500 a week). Something like that. Young players are never on big money initially anyway, so there is more tolerance for risk, How many deals can we get wrong before we have 1 Malaury Martin? 5? Thats not bad. If 1 or 2 come good, then its paid itself off. 

Club policy could be to avoid giving 16/17 year olds game time but to really channel game time towards 18+. Call it protecting them from the harsh physical Scottish game. Give them a game or two around 18 to see how they do then offer the 5 year deal, if they don't seem up to much be more cautious. If they want to go back to the reserves till their contracts up, then thats up to them. Need to be proactive and protective about the youngsters contract situations.

Young players are to quick to head for the highlife and forget in many occasions the opportunity  they have been given and the costs involved in developing them. If young players do not let club’s get the chance to recoup the investment. They will only ruin it for the next batch as clubs will not have academies. 

If the lad decides to hold out for a cheap exit, IF. I would personally put him back with the younger teams and let him run down his contract with no involvement with the senior team apart from cleaning boots and changing rooms. 

Just hope it’s not the tactic they are playing. Hearts gave him his break, respect that and ensure we are recompensed. 

Edited by Whatsthefuture

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

At least he can tell his kids he played in the European Cup (Champions League?) at Murrayfield against one of Europe's  top clubs.

Unfortunately. 

This is always going to happen and there is no way to stop it. It's not a problem for Hearts alone, think Billy Gilmour from Rangers to Chelsea. If the OF can't stop it happening no on else in Scotland can. 

At least Hearts get a tidy sum for Hickey.

23 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sounds daft and too basic, but for Hickey I would have offered something have £5k a week, 4/5 year deal and a % increase. 

The boy is a level above and after about 10 games you could see it wasn't form or a fluke,  raw ingredients of a top baller. 

Too late now, championship is no use for him and I think maybe you said it - we wont miss him that much down there, hardly a progressive footballing arena. 

Only able to offer a contract like that last few weeks. As already stated you can't offer a 17 year old a 5 year deal.

Hickey already decided to go. 

Your general argument is fair enough. Maybe see some changes. 

28 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I totally agree with your post, especially the bit in bold. I've got this feeling that we have this very outdated 'traditionalist' approach when dealing with young players in contract negotiations in Scotland. This idea that 'if you're good enough you're old enough' hence the likes of Hickey, Cochrane, McDonald, Paterson (the list goes on) getting game time, but when it comes to actually paying those players that saying no longer applies and humming and hawing about experience and development come into it. 

The fact of the matter is that the players aged 23-29 have peaked, the players 30+ are in decline. They're at this level for various reasons and its not because they are exceptional footballers. A lad like Hickey has brought more to the team in his 30 appearances than: White, Garuccio, Rherras, Mitchell, Grzelak, Smith-Brown etc. have in their time despite their years of experience on the lad. IMO apply that expression to wage talks. Hickey deserves to be on first team wages. If senior players get antsy about it, the simple fact is that they're at this level because this is as good as they are. I'm taking Hickey as an example, but in previous years Scott Allan at Dundee Utd jumps out to me as someone who wanted some degree of parity with the first team, possibly Ryan Fraser too and god knows who else behind closed doors. I think it is a recurring theme up here and there needs to be a realignment to approaching it more aligned with a merit based system. Where age isn't a factor. 

We tried giving all of our players high basic wages and it didn't work out. Why not try offering serious contracts to youngsters when they've proven they can take the heat, much like Paterson did, or Hickey? We seem to leave it too late. I realise its a risk, but its a calculated risk and it won't be one carried out every year. We'll have special talents that come through and its important we recognise these lads early and ensure we're not caught short again and having to sell at risk of losing them for a pittance. 

your bit about it not being form or fluke, again I think back to Paterson or Walker and Nicholson you could see the confidence early. Its definitely food for thought. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, OTT said:

I totally agree with your post, especially the bit in bold. I've got this feeling that we have this very outdated 'traditionalist' approach when dealing with young players in contract negotiations in Scotland. This idea that 'if you're good enough you're old enough' hence the likes of Hickey, Cochrane, McDonald, Paterson (the list goes on) getting game time, but when it comes to actually paying those players that saying no longer applies and humming and hawing about experience and development come into it. 

The fact of the matter is that the players aged 23-29 have peaked, the players 30+ are in decline. They're at this level for various reasons and its not because they are exceptional footballers. A lad like Hickey has brought more to the team in his 30 appearances than: White, Garuccio, Rherras, Mitchell, Grzelak, Smith-Brown etc. have in their time despite their years of experience on the lad. IMO apply that expression to wage talks. Hickey deserves to be on first team wages. If senior players get antsy about it, the simple fact is that they're at this level because this is as good as they are. I'm taking Hickey as an example, but in previous years Scott Allan at Dundee Utd jumps out to me as someone who wanted some degree of parity with the first team, possibly Ryan Fraser too and god knows who else behind closed doors. I think it is a recurring theme up here and there needs to be a realignment to approaching it more aligned with a merit based system. Where age isn't a factor. 

We tried giving all of our players high basic wages and it didn't work out. Why not try offering serious contracts to youngsters when they've proven they can take the heat, much like Paterson did, or Hickey? We seem to leave it too late. I realise its a risk, but its a calculated risk and it won't be one carried out every year. We'll have special talents that come through and its important we recognise these lads early and ensure we're not caught short again and having to sell at risk of losing them for a pittance. 

your bit about it not being form or fluke, again I think back to Paterson or Walker and Nicholson you could see the confidence early. Its definitely food for thought. 

Agree. 

No longer active
3 hours ago, jr ewing said:

No news.I guess he's decided to let his contract run out and then decide. 

Now that would not be an advisable thing for him to do. If he was in his late 20s or early 30s with most of his career behind him I would imagine that quite easily. But to risk another year on "peanuts" compared to what he could be on, playing for a team in the second tier of Scottish football, risking an injury; that would take big balls imho.

Get the deal signed, the security of a 4/5 year contract at 4/5k a week with Bayern. Set up for a second non-footballing career later, even if that's his level. Thats 240k a year for 5 years at least! A wise kid could live comfortably and have a clear 1 million in the bank by 22!

Edited by George Cowie

11 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Now that would not be an advisable thing for him to do. If he was in his late 20s or early 30s with most of his career behind him I would imagine that quite easily. But to risk another year on "peanuts" compared to what he could be on, playing for a team in the second tier of Scottish football, risking an injury; that would take big balls imho.

Get the deal signed, the security of a 4/5 year contract at 4/5k a week with Bayern. Set up for a second non-footballing career later, even if that's his level. Thats 240k a year for 5 years at least! A wise kid could live comfortably and have a clear 1 million in the bank by 22!

Or stay with his folks. 18 is a bit young to leave home. Especially to another country. 

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Thing is, longer deals can only be handed out to over 18's and if like Hickey they become prominent at 16/17 we're ****ed as they won't sign an extension at 18 as they have options! 

Good point hopefully we get to the point where we have youth team players on the first team and holding down a place whilst those under 18 are pushing to get in ..

If this happens then that's when the academy could start paying off

10 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Impossible to implement I’d guess, youngster gets himself a new agent and legally challenges original agreement, we wouldn’t have a leg to stand on

We must have the courage of our judgement and put our best young players on longer contracts

If Craig Levein had the confidence and belief to play Hickey in a cup final at 16 he should have  told him we are going to give you a four year contract at X a year as soon as you are old enough, show him you have belief in him, not just Hickey, any kid, you must back your judgment as a club, you won’t get it right every time obviously 

In hindsight we could have kept Hickey away from prying eyes and not played him at first team level until we had him tied down to a longer contract ...

Just trying to think of something a bit different and to protect our assets. The legal wrangles potentially with having this type of contract would make sense. Your probably right, as I would imagine if u could make this type of contract watertight, it would already be in use. 

9 hours ago, Chimp said:

Even then, 1.5m is buttons to them? If they have already seen enough to want him and think he has the potential to make the first team i thought we might have been able to pit the big clubs against eachother. When you see how much other youngsters are going for in other leagues it seems like relatively low amount. Although Scottish football does seem to be the worst on the planet for letting our talent go cheaply

Just hope we insist on a good sell on clause, or a cheap buy back. Gut wrenching, such a little amount especially after that manky mob get there 30% cut 😩

Mr Brightside
8 hours ago, jr ewing said:

Or stay with his folks. 18 is a bit young to leave home. Especially to another country. 

This always irks me a bit when discussing young footballers. Thousands of young people move from home at a similar age for uni / gap year / work abroad and have nowhere near the same level of income and support structure as a young footballer would.

The Scottish game is so old firm centric certain players can’t see past it and happy to settle for being an old firm player.

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just another point.

Our best 2 young players in recent years joined the club at 16. 

Makes you wonder about the youth set up in Scotland. It may just be better leaving the kids to okay for boys clubs until they are older. 

pettigrewsstylist
16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was down to the pandemic and Dundee vote mate.

We was bottom....forever.

Heartsofgold
15 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

"bonded slavery" I wish I could have kicked a ball for a living back then sounded more fun than it is now 

What you have to remember, if you're old enough that is, is that before Bosman when your contract expired there was no right to move to another club as your current club retained your registration so, yes you were essentially 'bonded' to them until they agreed to sell that.  

A lot of people don't realise that it was the players registration that was actually being sold back in the day, not the player themselves per say.

The most exposed example of this that I can think of was Duncan Ferguson at Dundee Utd!  They held him to ransom basically over his contract and had in on a ridiculously long deal at a truly pathetic wage level for his talent.  Player had NO POWER over their future and were completely dictated to by the clubs.

4 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

This always irks me a bit when discussing young footballers. Thousands of young people move from home at a similar age for uni / gap year / work abroad and have nowhere near the same level of income and support structure as a young footballer would.

The Scottish game is so old firm centric certain players can’t see past it and happy to settle for being an old firm player.

Some are mature enough. Some can't tie their own shoe laces , let alone look after themselves. 

People often talk about signing policies and youth policies at clubs as though there is a written document in the managers office which has been signed off by the owner. In practise I suspect most clubs have a rough idea of a strategy but actually every deal will come with its own set of circumstances. To say that we need all youth players tied down to long term contracts just in case they make it big or that we should only sign players with a sell on value etc just isn't workable. Clubs will make decisions based on the circumstances at the time, some will work out some won't. Most clubs have a story of that kid they released when they were 13 only for them to sign for a bigger team or get a cap somewhere else, it happens. 

Malinga the Swinga
16 hours ago, jr ewing said:

You're right. I mean if he went to Munich, it is so far away that his parents would never be able to visit him and the living standards in would be miles behind what he is used too. After all, Munich is almost third world compared to Glasgow or Edinburgh and things like running water and housing are so difficult to find.

Bayern probably don't employ someone whose job it is too look after the your foreigners they sign and make sure they settle in okay, as well as ensuring they take language lessons in German and are mixed into the culture of the club.

Much better to stay at home with mummy and daddy who can read a bedtime story to him about the poor Scottish footballer who chucked away a great opportunity because daddy is a Celtic fan.

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

You're right. I mean if he went to Munich, it is so far away that his parents would never be able to visit him and the living standards in would be miles behind what he is used too. After all, Munich is almost third world compared to Glasgow or Edinburgh and things like running water and housing are so difficult to find.

Bayern probably don't employ someone whose job it is too look after the your foreigners they sign and make sure they settle in okay, as well as ensuring they take language lessons in German and are mixed into the culture of the club.

Much better to stay at home with mummy and daddy who can read a bedtime story to him about the poor Scottish footballer who chucked away a great opportunity because daddy is a Celtic fan.

Correct, and pretty sure Bayern Reserves don't train at a 70m euro facility with dedicated accommodation for up to 35 youth players that come form outside of munich

If he decides to stay at Hearts and run down his contract so he can move to Celtic for button's, he should be back with the u18's next season. 

Just seen an article with former Scotland 21's manager Rainer Bonhof who is now at Monchengladbach and he insists there is no better place for Hickey to further his football education '

"If, as is being reported, he goes into the Bayern Munich II squad then that will be a big deal because there is a clear pathway from that squad to the first team. Bayern Munich II won the third division last season but they couldn’t move up because one club can’t have two teams in the pro leagues. But if you are part of that second team then you are in focus for the first team as well and in Germany as often happens, and Bayern Munich are particularly famous for that, then a couple of youngsters are promoted to train with the first team.

"The thing for young Aaron is that even if he doesn’t make that jump at Bayern then you are still likely to be good enough to be a very good player in a top European league and making good money. Of course, it all comes down to the individual’s mentality. But it’s easier if you are moving to a club with such a famous name as Bayern Munich because they already have an understanding of how to develop young players.”

Leveins Battalion
21 minutes ago, Masonic said:

Where's the money going? Prob wages on free transfer duds?

That is a good question.

For me it is no coincidence that probably our most successful era recently apart from the Romanov one was were we were paying fees for younger guys with potential,the Camerons,McCanns,Weirs and Hamiltons.

I think aswell as the older pro's Gordon,Berra,Naismith and the younger boys we need to be active in this market again.

If Aberdeen and Hibs are able to pay fees round about the £250,000 and we can't than serious questions need asked.That said we have paid fees for Souttar,Boyce and ahem Wighton.

Edited by Leveins Battalion

Andy Murray moved to Spain aged 14 in order to improve his tennis, and eventually made it to world number 1. If Hickey has the option of Bayern but chooses Celtic, then I'd imagine he'll never play at a higher level as it will show he lacks the ambition to make it to the top.

Ambitious players have successfully used Celtic as a stepping stone to bigger things, but I doubt any of the would have turned down Bayern in order to join them.

heartsfc_fan
12 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

According to Sky Italia Bologna have made an extra push to beat Bayern Munich to his signature.

Hopefully they double the price tag 🤞

Italian Lambretta
12 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

According to Sky Italia Bologna have made an extra push to beat Bayern Munich to his signature.

The offer of guaranteed first team football in first season? 

1 hour ago, Masonic said:

Where's the money going? Prob wages on free transfer duds?

This is by far my biggest concern when it comes to the idea that we should sell him ASAP even if it’s just for £280k (what we would see) to Celtic. 

Hickey for another season, or £280k spent on three Championship level players? Not a difficult decision as far as I’m concerned.

46 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Andy Murray moved to Spain aged 14 in order to improve his tennis, and eventually made it to world number 1. If Hickey has the option of Bayern but chooses Celtic, then I'd imagine he'll never play at a higher level as it will show he lacks the ambition to make it to the top.

Ambitious players have successfully used Celtic as a stepping stone to bigger things, but I doubt any of the would have turned down Bayern in order to join them.

Indeed. It ****ing grates on me that it’s even being discussed as an option.

Never sell him to Sellic, if he wants go there make him stay for season, fair enough then we just get a partial development fee I take it.

16 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

A new Celtic bed-spread to both his dad and his agent.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

If he decides to stay at Hearts and run down his contract so he can move to Celtic for button's, he should be back with the u18's next season. 

Agreed

59 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That is a good question.

For me it is no coincidence that probably our most successful era recently apart from the Romanov one was were we were paying fees for younger guys with potential,the Camerons,McCanns,Weirs and Hamiltons.

I think aswell as the older pro's Gordon,Berra,Naismith and the younger boys we need to be active in this market again.

If Aberdeen and Hibs are able to pay fees round about the £250,000 and we can't than serious questions need asked.That said we have paid fees for Souttar,Boyce and ahem Wighton.

Last paragraph your joking surely what serious questions need asking?

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Last paragraph your joking surely what serious questions need asking?

The question regarding our poor recruitment is still an ongoing concern,certain posters on here have hinted that Levein blamed Murray and Murray blamed Levein in a meeting with Ann Budge.

I would say that the fact that we are the 3rd best supported club in Scotland,have at least 5 benefactors,8000 pledgers every month would put us in as good a position as anybody to compete financialy,if we can't then questions need asked,at present we are not competing even with the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren as we are in the league below.

1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The question regarding our poor recruitment is still an ongoing concern,certain posters on here have hinted that Levein blamed Murray and Murray blamed Levein in a meeting with Ann Budge.

I would say that the fact that we are the 3rd best supported club in Scotland,have at least 5 benefactors,8000 pledgers every month would put us in as good a position as anybody to compete financialy,if we can't then questions need asked,at present we are not competing even with the likes of Hamilton and St Mirren as we are in the league below.

Our supporter efforts will have mitigated for the TV money tap being turned off to a degree, but thanks to them voting to expel us from the top division, we will be still be behind them a bit I would expect.

42 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Would be good if the money is ramped up. It sort of looked like it was a "fixed price" deal we'd gone for and not given clubs a reason to have a bidding war.

47 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Hopefully they double the price tag 🤞

Thats what we want a bidding war,the more the merrier.

36 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Would be good if the money is ramped up. It sort of looked like it was a "fixed price" deal we'd gone for and not given clubs a reason to have a bidding war.

I think the bidding war is likely with Hickey  

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I

Still comes down to his preference though. Hope it's Bayern......!

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

If you look at the background of many of the people who make it to the top it's that single-mindedness that gets them there. Celtic will be the soft, easy option and he's likely to then have a soft, easy career. Not the worst outcome, but he'd always wonder what might have been.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Saved me a fortune 😁

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

If it's true English EPL clubs are interested and why not, that is the middle option between the safety of Celtic and the unknown of abroad.

The problem with Celtic is they have a track record of looking for cheap young Scots but they won't hesitate to buy someone from abroad for 5m and put him in the team ahead of the youngster. They make far more money from doing that than from developing youngsters. Tierney was an outlier - in general they always prioritise the foreign players. Their fans also seem to like the more glamorous names coming in from abroad for big fees. Griffiths is an example. Great striker but they're constantly buying more strikers. They barely bothered with Riorden. I know both players have reputations but Celtic just doesn't seem to bother trying to develop or change these players to make them even better. They'd rather spend a few million on someone else.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Willie Hamilton genius
2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That is a good question.

It would be great to be active in signing younger guys and developing them.

However, the reality for now is that we have been {ridiculously ) demoted.

One can only assume that the £ 8 million we were claiming for was actually money we will lose.

Even if it's half that , that's a big hole to fill. So i guess we won't be spending it just now.

I'm optimistic the way Robbie has gutted the squad, that we are on the way back, and lessons have been learned.

Maybe next summer we will be signing promising youngsters

HHGH

2 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That is a good question.

full amount should be spent on players imo if indeed the FOH contributions are sufficient enough to sustain the club

1 hour ago, Beast Boy said:

This is by far my biggest concern when it comes to the idea that we should sell him ASAP even if it’s just for £280k (what we would see) to Celtic. 

Hickey for another season, or £280k spent on three Championship level players? Not a difficult decision as far as I’m concerned.

if its 1.5m as stated in the papers and on sky etc could get 5 decent players for that 200k a pop plus wages

Is it not right that Hearts already accepted bids from the foremost clubs, then all that's left is for Hickey to wrangle out contract details involving assurances of game time.  

Must be the agent that's holding it up plus Hickey obviously.  Hopefully it gets done by Friday.  I am thinking he might do a move to Bologna if that's them come back with assurances.

Edited by HMFC01

portobellojambo1
2 hours ago, Beast Boy said:

There was an article online earlier in the week saying Bologna were looking at a transfer figure of £1.8 million.