SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Given JA is a close friend of Ann I still can’t get my head around him doing something which undermines hearts and Ann. There must be pieces we can’t see 

I'm sure that whether or not there are pieces that we can't see, the offer was made with the best of intentions. They're both good people. Too good to be involved in the fetid pond that is Scottish football, some might argue.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

Given JA is a close friend of Ann I still can’t get my head around him doing something which undermines hearts and Ann. There must be pieces we can’t see 

It's two things I think - optics in that it squashes (or should) the whole "self interest" criticism Budge is getting (even though any club or club's supporter saying that is a massive hypocrite) and it removes an obstacle to playing games, which is a massive deal.

After that, I think it's probably mostly hope that this will help focus minds to work together and agree a better solution that doesn't punish the demoted teams. I'm not optimistic about that though. There seem to be some really petty pieces of work in charge of our football clubs and zero leadership from Doncaster and co - in terms of a lack of ideas, a completely passive, reactive approach, and an unwillingness to bang heads together - doesn't help.

I think I just need to switch off from it for the next couple of weeks as getting extremely angry now. 

As mentioned a couple of pages ago the rules were changed to relegate Hearts. Now they are saying they can’t just change the rules to save Hearts. 

It is not just Hearts it is Thistle, Stranraer, potentially Kelly and Brora not to mention teams like Falkirk who were also very harshly treated. We are seeking ways to fairly right a wrong. Everyone seems to have forgotten there has been a wrong here. 

There was no sporting integrity in demoting Hearts. But to do it with no compensation package for the clear unfairness of it is offensive. Of course now money is at the table all we hear is for the sake of sporting integrity We can’t have reconstruction. 

I like most am angry. And actually upset at the thought that any of these clubs will get their hands on money from a Budge contact. I wished he would just put the money into Hearts. 

so I guess where we are now is it fails this week and then we have to wait and see which clubs agree to start in August, at which point there are huge problems. 

As mentioned you can’t just say I’m not playing in August when other clubs are ready and willing. This automatically triggers voted and reconstruction. But how long is this nonsense going to go on for? This all needs to be done and decided in the next two weeks. 

No SPFL team should get a sniff of the funding only lower league teams should Celtic have a cheek even having a sniff of the money with the amount they generate a season

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s his money, maybe she doesn’t agree with what he’s proposing.

possible. A bit crazy to assist a team for 4 years then utterly undermine it, forcing that club to go to court to try and win damages from the clubs you’ve just given money to. 

basically a large portion of the “gesture” sunk in legal fees, and no one benefits other than lawyers..

Edited by kingantti1874

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, j1964m said:

No SPFL team should get a sniff of the funding only lower league teams should Celtic have a cheek even having a sniff of the money with the amount they generate a season

I can see the likes of Celtic and Hibs refusing to accept it.  I’d imagine they’d find it a bit embarrassing and humiliating being funded by a Hearts benefactor.  Certainly must be some song writing material there for us.  As much as we hate the idea, they’ll probably hate it even more.

Looks like Dungcaster and there cronies will be getting there big fat bonus next season with the help James Anderson has given 

Edited by j1964m

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Regarding legal action, it possibly strengthens our position, if anything, since we are seen to be altruistically attempting to do even more for the sake of Scottish football before resorting to the courts.

However, legal action was always meant to be a last option. The primary effect of the threat of legal action was I imagine to encourage the SPFL to take reconstruction seriously in order to avoid legal recourse. The SPFL surely must have realised that the possible financial repercussions of Hearts' legal success would be detrimental, as would the court getting to hear all about the vote shenanigans with witnesses under oath. We'd already seen the results of this pressure, a turn in the weather where the SPFL and some clubs were starting to make more positive noises about reconstruction. For a wee while, it was looking far more positive than before.

But now, with the introduction of the benefactor, the first of these reasons for SPFL clubs to be nervous of legal action, the financial aspect, is diminished, thus leaving reconstruction less possible. Not only that but we are linked to the benefactor's offer, thus meaning that there is a tendency *not* to allow reconstruction as this might be seen as having been brought about through our use of financial influence.

So, yes, in my opinion it does undermine our position as regards reconstruction.

I'm left pretty puzzled by it too. 

Ann has tried to take the high road with these gutter dwelling *******s every step of the way and they have stabbed her in the back at every turn. There is zero reason at all to think this act of altruism is going to change that mindset. Actually, by removing the financial burden of Covid tests you do nothing to incentive their position. Doncaster may be an utter weasel of a man, but he knew from the outset that if you don't attach a financial benefit to voting a certain way then quite simply nothing will be achieved. 

However, I wonder if Mr Anderson is considering a league sponsorship type deal contingent on reconstruction? That would offer the necessary incentive to vote through recon as many of the diddy clubs have referenced 'nothing being in it for us', obviously that would then mean something is in it for them. Given the complete lack of finance in Scottish football, any amount to sponsor the lower leagues specifically wouldn't require a vast amount of money (relatively speaking of course, which is easy to say since its not my money!!). I don't know how deep his pockets are, but it sounds like he is an incredibly wealthy man who does have the resources and connections to do something like this. To put it simply, £1m spent on sponsoring the championship down is better than the £3m+ we stand to lose as a result of reconstruction failing. 

Like I say, I'm confused on what Ann's angle involving Anderson is in this. Does she think this will create some moral obligation the clubs will feel to soften their stance against reconstruction? Because I'll go back to my original point, these men are gutter dwelling rodents devoid of a moral compass. They will take the money gleefully and harden their stance further. 

Just a final point - Shame on the Oldfirm. Its taken a benefactor associated with a non-OF club to step up and try and save these smaller clubs from going bust. We constantly hear about all of Celtics famous celebrity fans - Rod Stewart, etc. and yet, its someone who has by the looks of things very little interest in football to actually step in and do what needs to be done. Fair play to James Anderson, he's doing something fantastic, but he shouldn't be in a position where he feels he has to. There are many wealthy stakeholders of the game attached to the OF who could and should have stepped up. Considering these two clubs are Scotlands biggest with resources that dwarf the rest of us, I can't help but feel it should be them stepping up. 

Hagar the Horrible

I cant get my head around that we will be on the TV every other week, and the SPL gets 84% Hamilton and St Mirrens  of the world bring nada to the table,  we should get our own deal, remember we were not put there by sporting reasons, were were thrown out against our will

10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm sure that whether or not there are pieces that we can't see, the offer was made with the best of intentions. They're both good people. Too good to be involved in the fetid pond that is Scottish football, some might argue.

Agree ,  good people In a corrupt organisation more often than not get sh*t on .

Stendelnator

The important thing to consider here is that, while Anderson is offering money to every club here in a one off donation, he has also committed to being our benefactor for the next five years as well. That should more than cover any ill feeling some may have. 

Captain Canada

This article says that Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Ross County and St. Johnstone haven't put season tickets on sale yet. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52548259

Seems strange when clubs need money more than ever. I wonder if any or all of these teams are thinking they might not be able to play for some time? 

Edited by Captain Canada

manaliveits105
2 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

This article says that Hamilton, Kilmarnock, Ross County and St. Johnstone haven't put season tickets on sale yet. 

Seems strange when clubs need money more than ever. I wonder if any or all of these teams are thinking they might not be able to play for some time? 

Oh God forbid :gok:

Hungry hippo

I think it's pretty clear Ann Budge doesn't think the Anderson donation is negatively impacting our cause and she has a lot more knowledge of the current situation than us.

1 minute ago, Stendelnator said:

The important thing to consider here is that, while Anderson is offering money to every club here in a one off donation, he has also committed to being our benefactor for the next five years as well. That should more than cover any ill feeling some may have. 

Ill feeling against whom? Anderson? I doubt there is any ill feeling against him from anyone connected to Hearts. Even I who feel that as far as Hearts are concerned his offer came at the wrong time and shouldn't have been linked to Hearts, have nothing but the utmost admiration for him.

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I cant get my head around that we will be on the TV every other week, and the SPL gets 84% Hamilton and St Mirrens  of the world bring nada to the table,  we should get our own deal, remember we were not put there by sporting reasons, were were thrown out against our will

We could potentially lose money if the crowd was lower as a result of the game being on tv. Would be interesting to see what Dundee United made last year as they had several Friday night games on BBC Scotland. 

Stendelnator
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Ill feeling against whom? Anderson? I doubt there is any ill feeling against him from anyone connected to Hearts. Even I who feel that as far as Hearts are concerned his offer came at the wrong time and shouldn't have been linked to Hearts, have nothing but the utmost admiration for him.

There’s been a few people saying they can’t get their head around this because it could harm our chances. 

jambo-in-furness

Here is my thruppence worth

James Anderson has made a sum of money available to Doncaster and the SPFL with no strings attached.  Probably between 1 and 2 £m.

He will be watching like a Hawk (capital H intentional) to see how it’s distributed before he decides if more money will be made available. 

In other words, if the Premier league clubs get their usual lions share, no future contributions will be made. 

As I said, only my opinion.

manaliveits105

If the diddy premier teams cant play they could just have a Celtic Irish Roots  mini league - ceptic vermin united and Aberdeen who love the green boaby.

Just now, Stendelnator said:

There’s been a few people saying they can’t get their head around this because it could harm our chances. 

Indeed, but that's not the same as having any ill feeling towards him. Or have I misunderstood and you were referring to folk having a general feeling of malaise rather than having specific ill feeling towards him?

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Could be that they are worried that any season ticket money may need to be refunded later if the season goes up so they dont want that demand to refund money happen when they have no money

1 hour ago, John Gentleman said:

English has got it wrong. Budge didn't introduce an investor; she introduced a philanthropist. 

They discussed that on the show, and BM made that very point. I was paraphrasing in my post. 👍

5 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I’d be surprised if those four plus UTD Livvy could afford to play BCD for any length of time although the Sky money in August might be enough to tide them over. Without that the whole Prem, Celtic aside, might toil

35 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

But if you are part of a collective, the whole point is to get a more even and sustainable distribution of income. 16% between 30 clubs, no wonder everyone is skint. 

It's all relative, the lower leagues now receive more money than they did when the SPL was separate from the SFL.

JamboAndrew
3 hours ago, David McCaig said:

The visit to Ayr United needs to be a particularly well co-ordinated boycott effort.

May be a statement from the Federation of Hearts Supporters Clubs saying that no clubs will be running buses to Somerset Park.

We can call this particular boycott “Huff for Hearts”

I like it. And yes, needs done properly.

Petition hearts to open up hospitality at tynecastle for fans on the day. Then they have the option.

Stendelnator
5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed, but that's not the same as having any ill feeling towards him. Or have I misunderstood and you were referring to folk having a general feeling of malaise rather than having specific ill feeling towards him?

General malaise. 

Just now, Stendelnator said:

General malaise. 

Ah, got you now. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Has it been stated anywhere that Anderson's donation is linked or conditional to the league restructure?

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Could be that they are worried that any season ticket money may need to be refunded later if the season goes up so they dont want that demand to refund money happen when they have no money

they’d be lucky to sell 5,000 between them

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Aberdeen - have been top 2/3 and in multiple cup finals for several years, in Europe next year - 6000

Hearts - have been shite for 2.5 seasons, entire future uncertain but most likely in the championship, may not even be a full season - 5000

19 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

We benefited similarly when the blue arse cheek were in the bottom leagues.

kingantti1874
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Aberdeen - have been top 2/3 and in multiple cup finals for several years, in Europe next year - 6000

Hearts - have been shite for 2.5 seasons, entire future uncertain but most likely in the championship, may not even be a full season - 5000

we will sell more ST than Aberdeen even if we can’t play at all. 

10 minutes ago, OTT said:

Ann has tried to take the high road with these gutter dwelling *******s every step of the way and they have stabbed her in the back at every turn. There is zero reason at all to think this act of altruism is going to change that mindset. Actually, by removing the financial burden of Covid tests you do nothing to incentive their position. Doncaster may be an utter weasel of a man, but he knew from the outset that if you don't attach a financial benefit to voting a certain way then quite simply nothing will be achieved. 

However, I wonder if Mr Anderson is considering a league sponsorship type deal contingent on reconstruction? That would offer the necessary incentive to vote through recon as many of the diddy clubs have referenced 'nothing being in it for us', obviously that would then mean something is in it for them. Given the complete lack of finance in Scottish football, any amount to sponsor the lower leagues specifically wouldn't require a vast amount of money (relatively speaking of course, which is easy to say since its not my money!!). I don't know how deep his pockets are, but it sounds like he is an incredibly wealthy man who does have the resources and connections to do something like this. To put it simply, £1m spent on sponsoring the championship down is better than the £3m+ we stand to lose as a result of reconstruction failing. 

Like I say, I'm confused on what Ann's angle involving Anderson is in this. Does she think this will create some moral obligation the clubs will feel to soften their stance against reconstruction? Because I'll go back to my original point, these men are gutter dwelling rodents devoid of a moral compass. They will take the money gleefully and harden their stance further. 

Just a final point - Shame on the Oldfirm. Its taken a benefactor associated with a non-OF club to step up and try and save these smaller clubs from going bust. We constantly hear about all of Celtics famous celebrity fans - Rod Stewart, etc. and yet, its someone who has by the looks of things very little interest in football to actually step in and do what needs to be done. Fair play to James Anderson, he's doing something fantastic, but he shouldn't be in a position where he feels he has to. There are many wealthy stakeholders of the game attached to the OF who could and should have stepped up. Considering these two clubs are Scotlands biggest with resources that dwarf the rest of us, I can't help but feel it should be them stepping up. 

Good post mate, I think you could be on to something re the sponsorship thing. Probably a charity or something along these lines. I also think Anderson/Budge are too cute for the SPFL to just be able to squander cash willynilly.There will be strings attached.

Hagar the Horrible
5 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

We could potentially lose money if the crowd was lower as a result of the game being on tv. Would be interesting to see what Dundee United made last year as they had several Friday night games on BBC Scotland. 

clearly their share of 16% divided by 30 clubs  thats £5.333.33p for every club for every £1m the deal is worth.  Thats is just assuming we have a league to play in.  If its BCD then seting up TV for all games we wont even make a fraction of that?  Oh forgot to say thats per year!  about 13 season tickets..  Thats why we will lose nearly £3.4m and be the ones making that still

23 minutes ago, OTT said:

Fantastic point at end re-OF and their 'wealth' of celebrity hangers on.    Spot on.  

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

we will sell more ST than Aberdeen even if we can’t play at all. 

It's hurt to see them have such an easy time of it so they can kid themselves they're the real 3rd force (whatever that's worth). That's another area where natural order needs to be returned to asap, with us above them most years.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's all relative, the lower leagues now receive more money than they did when the SPL was separate from the SFL.

Do you not think there needs to be more ambition than that though? Getting a bit more than before but not enough to stimulate churn thoughout the divisions doesn't really help and encourages the behaviour that I can't stand from lower league teams. Which is to make sure you are one place above relegation each year to retain your place as an also ran but crucially retain the chairman's position of influence. You need to create an environment which encourages more ambitious people to invest in teams.

26 minutes ago, OTT said:

:spoton:

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's hurt to see them have such an easy time of it so they can kid themselves they're the real 3rd force (whatever that's worth). That's another area where natural order needs to be returned to asap, with us above them most years.

yep. 

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And Aberdeen are offering various benefits including large discounts for becoming a AberDNA member. 

highlandjambo3

Where are all the media muppets with last weeks headlines spouting pish about us struggling for dosh.............scurrying back down their holes I guess.

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

clearly their share of 16% divided by 30 clubs  thats £5.333.33p for every club for every £1m the deal is worth.  Thats is just assuming we have a league to play in.  If its BCD then seting up TV for all games we wont even make a fraction of that?  Oh forgot to say thats per year!  about 13 season tickets..  Thats why we will lose nearly £3.4m and be the ones making that still

I meant, that if the TV deal loses 84% before it even gets to the championship clubs, the money that you receive for being on tv might be substantially offset by the money you lose by having lower crowds as a result of the Game being on tv. I get that if there are no crowds then it's a moot point but thought it would be interesting to know how valuable the deal actually was for the clubs being broadcast. 

3 minutes ago, Anything2 said:

Do you not think there needs to be more ambition than that though? Getting a bit more than before but not enough to stimulate churn thoughout the divisions doesn't really help and encourages the behaviour that I can't stand from lower league teams. Which is to make sure you are one place above relegation each year to retain your place as an also ran but crucially retain the chairman's position of influence. You need to create an environment which encourages more ambitious people to invest in teams.

What number do you think it should be?

@Hagar the Horrible quoted a figure above of £5,333.33 per club in the bottom 30 for every million raised. With a £28 million TV deal for the premiership next year that means on average these clubs, who contribute next to nothing financially will receive on average £150k. Seems fair to me.

Obviously, I can't speak directly for JA, but what if he is just a proud Scot that loves football and is quite rightly completely and utterly ****ing disgusted at the lack of leadership shown in Scottish football?

The whole Dundee malarkey just adds to everyone's perception of Scottish football.  It's like when you hear about some dodgy shit happening in South America and you just shrug your shoulders and think "yeah, that sounds like South America".

Look at the amount of people knocking down  the door to sponsor a supposedly top division in world football.  That's all you need to know.  

When you have the CEO of said organisation coming out and talking down the "product" he is supposed to be selling,  WTF are companies supposed to think?    Here, come get involved in our dodgy biased sporting body that can manipulate their voting and rules whenever they don't get what they want.

Also, don't think for one second that JA won't know how much control Celtic and Lawwell have on the game here.  These kind of people find out what they need to know.

On the point of Celtic -  Where are their offers to help the Scottish game out of this crisis?  They have been turning huge profit for years, yet not a peep.

I won't be surprised if Scottish football somehow manages to **** up this offer from JA, as someone earlier on the the thread said, the top of the SPFL and Scottish football clubs will be trying to work out if he is green or blue, as they can't perceive he may be neither.  Surely he must favour one of them?

Personally, I would let Scottish football burn.  JA and AB are obviously better people than myself.

Edited by Lovecraft

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Where are all the media muppets with last weeks headlines spouting pish about us struggling for dosh.............scurrying back down their holes I guess.

Probably wondering if there will be any room in James Anderson's budget for succulent lamb.

28 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I was thinking the same. However my

assumption is that these clubs could be thinking about the impact of administration.

What they wouldn’t want is their fans to buy worthless tickets. Rather they’d want a a restructuring completed to come out of administration and then sell season tickets so they would have that income to start afresh! 

Guest ToqueJambo
34 minutes ago, OTT said:

This is an evergreen comment but especially now. Rangers just made a lot of noise as usual.

Celtic have just gone missing. The biggest, richest club in the country not only hasn't lifted a finger to offer financial help to anyone they haven't even played any meaningful part in any discussions. They've offered up zero ideas.

Like when they had John Reid as chairman, have a billionaire tax dodger as a main shareholder and had to be being shamed into paying the living wage, their socialist, solidarity, more than a club, "club of the people" brand image is a total fabrication.

Just now, graygo said:

What number do you think it should be?

@Hagar the Horrible quoted a figure above of £5,333.33 per club in the bottom 30 for every million raised. With a £28 million TV deal for the premiership next year that means on average these clubs, who contribute next to nothing financially will receive on average £150k. Seems fair to me.

I really don't know what % would work, not my area of expertise, just think that if the gap is that big the difference in standards will only grow making it harder for clubs to develop and less attractive for people to invest. You would be as well just cutting them loose. 

TheGoodLord
55 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I simply can’t get my head round this either especially having heard that jakeball from Ayr. 

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )