SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Boof said:

Suppose I'd better cite the source...   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55684189

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has written to all 10 Championship clubs asking if they want to continue playing or suspend their league.

Maxwell has asked for replies no later than close of business on Monday.

In an email sent on Friday evening, he mentions that one Championship club has already publicly called for a suspension of all football.

Maxwell did not name the club in question and there is confusion over who he is referring to.

All Scottish football below the top two tiers has been suspended for a minimum of three weeks due to a surge in Covid-19 cases.

Championship clubs have been allowed to continue their truncated 27-game season, which began in mid-October, on the condition that they test players and staff weekly for Covid-19.

Maxwell wrote: "One SPFL championship club has publicly taken the position that all football should be suspended.

"The Scottish FA would like to understand the position of your club... please confirm if you are content to continue under the current exemption or whether your club considers that the Championship should be suspended."

WTF. And why the SFA not the SPFL? And if the club has gone public why are they not named? And if the club said suspend ALL football, why not write to Premiership clubs too? Bizarre and inconsistent as usual. Not even surprised any more. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

WTF. And why the SFA not the SPFL? And if the club has gone public why are they not named? And if the club said suspend ALL football, why not write to Premiership clubs too? Bizarre and inconsistent as usual. Not even surprised any more. 

Correct. If they are calling for all football to be suspended then why just ask the championship clubs 

I posted this on Facebook earlier today. Events are moving faster than I anticipated.

”Sadly I fear that null& void is the grotesque plan. You have to remember who runs Scottish football and whose interests are served by null & void. This is how it  may pan out. As the virus continues the temporary pause to divisions 1 & 2 will be extended as will the pause to the cup. Virus outbreaks will increase in the premier and particularly the championship where clubs are tested for the first time. The latter will be paused for a few weeks. A decision will be taken to null & void divisions 1 & 2 as it is clear the their season has no prospect of completion or even of reaching the magic 75% complete. With that the precedent is set. The cup will be abandoned and the pause in the championship will be extended as a similar pause is introduced to the premier which is already suffering from fixture congestion. The SPFL Board call a vote on null & voiding all leagues. Clubs desperate for funds will be promised the release of monies provided they vote to end the season. The majority will do so. Rangers and Hearts and a few others will vehemently oppose. Rangers will even go the courts but will have to settle for SFA arbitration which they will, of course, lose. Hearts having lost a fortune last time will accept the futility of such action. The media will go along with the decision. Celtic will have another go in 21/22 at 10 in a row and the quinquennial treble. This is all within the SPFL rule book and Doncaster will say that there was no alternative and that the vast majority of clubs accept this. He will receive a fat bonus and a longer more lucrative contract. You heard it hear first.”

I'm actually starting to believe this is a Celtic ploy to have the Premiership cancelled. 

Stop the lower leagues one by one then more pressure on the top league to follow suit.

Surely a any football authority should be trying their best to keep football going. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, benny said:

I would get no joy  whatsoever if it affects Hearts no matter who else looses out.

Fair enough but it's out of our hands (Liewell and his glove puppet will decide) so at least look for some sort of a plus or is your glass permanently half empty? 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Got to be Raith. 

My money would be on Alloa , Mulraney is so far up Lawell's backside he has to put his initials on the soles of his shoes.

Edited by EIEIO
Spelling

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Last season they used the new sky deal as a reason to end the season. This year there is no reason not to end the season no matter how long it takes

The new sky deal should be the reason to finish the season, or they will lose even more money if the don’t. The ****ing euros are the reason why they will say we have to be finished by a certain date. 

Got a feeling it will be ourselves going by Robbo's comments yesterday. I think we should just pull the Scottish Cup and try and complete the league fixtures.

fabienleclerq

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll get ****ed, championship null and void and the prem will either be finished or given to the huns with no relegation. 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

I'll go out on a limb and say we'll get ****ed, championship null and void and the prem will either be finished or given to the huns with no relegation. 

Didn't want to say but this is what is being pushed, your spot on 👍

These championship clubs want a season of hearts fans filling their grounds. Why wouldn't they vote to void it. Makes financial sense .

Pasquale for King
Just now, EIEIO said:

My money would be on Alloa , Murray is so far up Lawell's backside he has to put his initials on the soles of his shoes.

Possibly, hard to judge really as they all have a reason mostly to do with money. Why ask when the L1&2 clubs weren’t consulted. They will try and blame the SG for it. 

It says that someone from one championship club says ALL football should be suspended. So Maxwell has asked him if they want the championship suspended?

So one club cannot meet their commitments - and we all have to stop playing?

They can award 3-0 wins to their opponents then. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, rudeskaboyuk said:

These championship clubs want a season of hearts fans filling their grounds. Why wouldn't they vote to void it. Makes financial sense .

If it does happen then we have to make sure we boycott these clubs. 

Guest ToqueJambo

It has been obvious Celtic, sorry the SPFL, would push for null and void but pausing the Championship only makes zero sense and there is zero sporting integrity in asking the teams to vote in it when it would benefit 9 of the 10 teams to stop it because they're behind in the league or in danger of relegation. It would be even more unfair than what they did last year.

No other countries have talked about suspending the leagues so why the hell are we??all these clubs just got £500k to get through all this 🙄

kingantti1874
Just now, Gizmo said:

So one club cannot meet their commitments - and we all have to stop playing?

They can award 3-0 wins to their opponents then. 

theu can’t meet the commitment which will cost less than 10% of the taxpayer handout they have only just received 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

It says that someone from one championship club says ALL football should be suspended. So Maxwell has asked him if they want the championship suspended?

Yeah, makes no sense as usual. And what was the 500 grand for? Is football just about  covering wages and not actually about playing football now?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Possibly, hard to judge really as they all have a reason mostly to do with money. Why ask when the L1&2 clubs weren’t consulted. They will try and blame the SG for it. 

If clubs vote for this they should be made to pay the money back to the Scottish government. Absolutely shameful. Although the BBC say suspend rather than end the season for anyone looking for a straw to clutch.

Just now, EIEIO said:

If clubs vote for this they should be made to pay the money back to the Scottish government. Absolutely shameful. Although the BBC say suspend rather than end the season for anyone looking for a straw to clutch.

Exactly what should happen. All it from all of them.

8 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

My money would be on Alloa , Mulraney is so far up Lawell's backside he has to put his initials on the soles of his shoes.

Sitting bottom of table.

Got 500k handout.

Furlough players for as long as possible.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Edited by DETTY29

One club makes a public comment apparently and that justifies writing to all clubs asking if they want to suspend the league.   WTAF?   That’s the regulatory body almost courting an awful scenario.   Surely a number of member clubs would speak to one another and raise it for serious consideration.  It’s such a shambles I honestly don’t think our game could be in worse hands at a time of crisis.   

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Dont ccount on it Bud.

There will still be some that go.

Not me though.............. I lifted up the drawbridge after the last shitfest.

25 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Any idea who has called for the Championship to be stopped? Surely not bottom of the league Alloa whose Chairman is No2 at the SFA..

With 500k of SG money in their bank account.

Edited by DETTY29

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Must win tomorrow, before it stops again 

Not really, what difference would that make?  We’ll still be top.  Might not matter though. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aren't we boycotting them already? How does a double boycott work?

Carl Fredrickson

Why are the Championships clubs being asked if they want to continue when L1 &L2 clubs had no say? I hope 9 clubs tell them to ram it but history suggests that we will get screwed again. 

allanwilson1970
26 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Any idea who has called for the Championship to be stopped? Surely not bottom of the league Alloa whose Chairman is No2 at the SFA..

I read somewhere it was Raith, I am seriously worried all leagues will be null and void and we end up in this league next season again

Knew this would happen......Scottish Football is an absolute shambles. 500k hand out and clubs looking to avoid finding 50k to test players and complete season. The championship should only stop playing if things are so bad that the premiership have to stop, this is supposed to be professional football teams.

south morocco

Surely the £500 grand gov grant must be handed back if the league is suspended. 
Lots of posters predicted this last season. Stitched up again 

There's a real danger the league will be voided and we'll start again in August. It's going to make new signings really difficult and hopefully GMS doesn't have a get out clause.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Definitely. 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )