SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Strong statement from Stenhousemuir. Did they vote for the resolution? Am I the only one thinking that halting the leagues below championship wasn't the worse idea? Obviously they way the SPFL and SFA went about it stinks but I do think it makes sense not to send part time players up and down the country. Obviously its a shame Partick and Falkirk are dropped into it but that's a separate matter on the reconstruction that should have happened at the start of the season

Edited by AHS51

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

having them for sale full stop is wrong. No vaccines should be available for private sale until everyone has had the opportunity to get one.

im shameless enough to say if it were available I’d be putting my family at the top of the queue .. doesn’t make it right 

None are for sale.....This idea about handing out "spare" surplus stock is a non starter. first of all, how would you register who has been vaccinated if the NHS just handed over vials to the biggest bidder?

This vaccination programme is being regulated and accountability is strict. The deputy medical officer said on telly the other day there that there is more than one dose in each vial, therefore it's possible to vaccinate more than was anticipated. It didn't mean that the half empty vials were being handed over to Dr's Tom, dick or harry for private treatments, 

LarrysRightFoot
5 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Strong statement from Stenhousemuir. Did they vote for the resolution? Am I the only thinking that halting the leagues below championship wasn't the worse idea? Obviously they way the SPFL and SFA went about it stinks but I do think it makes sense not to send part time players up and down the country. Obviously its a shame Partick and Falkirk are dropped into it but that's a separate matter on the reconstruction that should have happened at the start of the season

What an absolute shambles the governance of Scottish football is. Terrified of dissent and actually having to do the right thing. 

5 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Strong statement from Stenhousemuir. Did they vote for the resolution? Am I the only one thinking that halting the leagues below championship wasn't the worse idea? Obviously they way the SPFL and SFA went about it stinks but I do think it makes sense not to send part time players up and down the country. Obviously its a shame Partick and Falkirk are dropped into it but that's a separate matter on the reconstruction that should have happened at the start of the season

Sensored dictatorship now being used, Mikes muted, questions only by email, effing sharad that is the SPFL. Time for clubs to take their medicine as its going to messy. Popcorn ready lads and lassies

9 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Just outrageous. 

Decisions are being made, without consultation, by Doncaster, Maxwel and the JRGs (which are heavily populated by the old firm, hibs and aberdeen...we have no reps on there) and then they mute any resistance?

Shame on Scottish football and it’s fans for accepting this.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Exactly, folk can't separate that.

Professional sports people getting the vaccine paid for by the governing bodies or by their employers does not impact the NHS.

No one is suggesting football players get vaccinated on the NHS before nurses, elderly etc ffs.

Too many folk just can't wait to get all emotional and excited.

In fact, it could be argued-

Professional sports folk risk long term damage to their careers if they catch covid.

They are putting themselves and family  at risk by continuing to work. More so than many realise-  as they wear no ppe and social distancing is not possible when they work.

Paying for it would free up NHS resource and save tax payer money.

Professional sport continuing will help many folk in lock down-  mentally wise.

I

Well it does if it’s NHS staff that need to administer the jab, or any other professional body who are currently involved in administering the jab, pharmacies, doctor surgeries etc....the output of jabs is currently restricted by the number of vaccines available and, the number of trained people who can administer the jab.  As the volume of vaccines start to increase I’d hazard a guess that the biggest hurdle will be the availability of staff to administer the jab.  Seeing a queue of 20 something healthy sportsmen in front of. Vulnerable/elderly people at a vaccination centre would not go down well.

Brick Tamland
4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Just outrageous. 

Decisions are being made, without consultation, by Doncaster, Maxwel and the JRGs (which are heavily populated by the old firm, hibs and aberdeen...we have no reps on there) and then they mute any resistance?

Shame on Scottish football and it’s fans for accepting this.

It is outrageous, beyond belief even. However, everybody had the chance to out them, get an inquiry, support reconstruction and make changes for the better of our game but nah they sat and stroked their shitey wee ball sacks whilst taking the bigots boaby. 
To those few who supported Hearts in our quest for change I still salute you. To those who didn’t, fkuck every single one of you, you spineless, lily livered, cock sucking surrender monkeys. 

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It is outrageous, beyond belief even. However, everybody had the chance to out them, get an inquiry, support reconstruction and make changes for the better of our game but nah they sat and stroked their shitey wee ball sacks whilst taking the bigots boaby. 
To those few who supported Hearts in our quest for change I still salute you. To those who didn’t, fkuck every single one of you, you spineless, lily livered, cock sucking surrender monkeys. 

This all year long.  **** them.  

36 minutes ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

I said on here a week ago that the idea of null and void would be floated as soon as Celtic were too far behind for even the most deluded of their supporters to think they could still win the league. And lo and behold, one draw with Hibs later and here it comes. It's a win-win for Celtic: rob Rangers of the title and condemn Hearts to another season in the Championship. With MacLennan and Lawell effectively running the SPFL board, they can finagle the wording of any resolution to suit their ends. That said, there's absolutely no justification for null and void  - especially if we can get into mid-March, which is when the league was stopped last year and subsequently "called". 

Null and void is not going to happen. 

1) The money factor

2) Anything the SPFL put on the table will not be accepted. 

13 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Well it does if it’s NHS staff that need to administer the jab, or any other professional body who are currently involved in administering the jab, pharmacies, doctor surgeries etc....the output of jabs is currently restricted by the number of vaccines available and, the number of trained people who can administer the jab.  As the volume of vaccines start to increase I’d hazard a guess that the biggest hurdle will be the availability of staff to administer the jab.  Seeing a queue of 20 something healthy sportsmen in front of. Vulnerable/elderly people at a vaccination centre would not go down well.

The govt is asking for (and has got) volunteers to do it and they are being trained up now. It was on BBC news a few days ago. Whether they have sufficient is another issue. 

29 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

None are for sale.....This idea about handing out "spare" surplus stock is a non starter. first of all, how would you register who has been vaccinated if the NHS just handed over vials to the biggest bidder?

This vaccination programme is being regulated and accountability is strict. The deputy medical officer said on telly the other day there that there is more than one dose in each vial, therefore it's possible to vaccinate more than was anticipated. It didn't mean that the half empty vials were being handed over to Dr's Tom, dick or harry for private treatments, 

You're totally missing the point.

Vaccines are currently available privately anyway - whether the Covid vaccine is,  would seem unlikely (at least, at this time) but it's not impossible. At the end of the day , the UK managed to get the vaccine ahead of EU countries by paying twice the price for it. So, simply, money talks. And Govts can't tell private companies who to sell to. 

The virus can't be distributed in the UK currently because it isn't in small enough vials/whatever to allow it to be widely circulated. But when it does , there was a suggestion there may be some unused  on a limited scale - and that was what is being suggested can be "relocated" to the private sector.  It's not a wholesale diversion of NHS resources into the private sector.

Whether it ever happens remains to be seen. 

20 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

There’s the Hearts tweet right there ^^^

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I'm sure that all full time clubs will have their own club doctors who will be well qualified to administer the jabs.  Players are given jabs for all sorts of injuries. All those jabs have to be administered too. 

However it is the moral question of whether anyone should be able to jump the queue, simply because they have the financial means to do so, that is much more pertinent.

Malinga the Swinga
30 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Very nicely put. 

2 hours ago, John Rambo said:

This is a complete non story, pure Record click bait. I'd suggest it would be nigh on impossible to declare null and void due to Dungcaster's much vaunted SKY deal; as others have noted, paying back the SKY 'megabucks' would kill clubs like Hamilton. The only option that may float is to end the season early again. As I mentioned the other day, now the fixtures have been rearranged, we should have played every team in the Championship home and away by the end of February; that would SEEM a fair point to end if they had to.

However, as other have again noted, we are going through a very, very rough time yet football still continues to be played. Also the £500k grant will pay for ample testing. Feel for the likes of Partick and Falkirk though, shafted again!

When I saw the quote I just thought 'he's just saying Null and Void because it's possible if football is stopped and it could apply to Leagues One and Two'.

But other people have rightly brought up his quotes from last season. And we have the SPFL lawyer arguing there has to be promotion and relegation. 

So he should be questioned on this. 

56 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

Before anyone feels too sorry for Stenhousemuir, worth remembering that they voted to end the season early, saying we don't need the money we just want to end the season as soon as possible. They then claimed to support reconstruction while putting up spurious arguments against it. They said they didn't support the 14 team top league (no relegation) because it amounted to a cash grab by the premiership. The bizarre logic to that was that the teams receiving the prize money for being the 13th and 14th highest place in the country would now be in the premiership not the championship.

Now he is complaining that football is being stopped when there is no evidence it is worse for spreading the virus than other sectors. He seems to have missed that one or two other sectors have been disrupted too. The guy is just another Scottish football loud mouth idiot. That doesn't change just because he is occasionally critical of the SPFL.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

having them for sale full stop is wrong. No vaccines should be available for private sale until everyone has had the opportunity to get one.

im shameless enough to say if it were available I’d be putting my family at the top of the queue .. doesn’t make it right 

The mora/' s for private Health care is another debate.

I don't agree with Private health care, I believe in universal healthcare but private health options do exist.

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

There is another argument.

20 employees who currently work with no ppe or social distancing getting vaccinated so they can carry out their job safely and not put themselves, their future career,  their family and community at further risk.

3 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

The Queen and Philip have had to wait!

If footballers were to get preferential treatment could you imagine the outcry from the other sporting communities?

I'm not sure I would trust these rogue GP's to inject me with any old s#it.....No doubt folk like Branson and others will try and jump the queue. 

They've had their vaccine.

Edited by graygo

1 minute ago, graygo said:

They've had their vaccine.

Correct....I was making the point that they had to wait their turn in the pecking order......There was no preferential treatment.

Their respective ages were all that mattered!.......Plus the added benefit of telling the general public that the vaccine was safe to use!

2 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Correct....I was making the point that they had to wait their turn in the pecking order......There was no preferential treatment.

Their respective ages were all that mattered!.......Plus the added benefit of telling the general public that the vaccine was safe to use!

Fair enough 👍

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Exactly, folk can't separate that.

Professional sports people getting the vaccine paid for by the governing bodies or by their employers does not impact the NHS.

No one is suggesting football players get vaccinated on the NHS before nurses, elderly etc ffs.

Too many folk just can't wait to get all emotional and excited.

In fact, it could be argued-

Professional sports folk risk long term damage to their careers if they catch covid.

They are putting themselves and family  at risk by continuing to work. More so than many realise-  as they wear no ppe and social distancing is not possible when they work.

Paying for it would free up NHS resource and save tax payer money.

Professional sport continuing will help many folk in lock down-  mentally wise.

I

I risk short term damage to my existence on earth if I catch COVID. Why should a young fit guy get the jag ahead of me? Why should a footballer get the jag ahead of me?  Think about it, you are suggesting a plumber who plays part -time football for Arbroath should be a high priority for a jag. Not sure how you can possibly think that or justify it. 

I can see null and void for league 1 and 2, with there being no relegation from the Championship. It'll be any teams that are unable to play forfeit 3-0 losses, leaving the teams pushing for promotion and playoffs still in with a shout.

They surely have to do the playoffs this time otherwise that's even more money in the TV refund coffers.

1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

image.gif.6bc3189b6350de517f8a5cc4a13e3931.gif

**** Stenhousemuir. I hope they go bust. 

51 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Before anyone feels too sorry for Stenhousemuir, worth remembering that they voted to end the season early, saying we don't need the money we just want to end the season as soon as possible. They then claimed to support reconstruction while putting up spurious arguments against it. They said they didn't support the 14 team top league (no relegation) because it amounted to a cash grab by the premiership. The bizarre logic to that was that the teams receiving the prize money for being the 13th and 14th highest place in the country would now be in the premiership not the championship.

Now he is complaining that football is being stopped when there is no evidence it is worse for spreading the virus than other sectors. He seems to have missed that one or two other sectors have been disrupted too. The guy is just another Scottish football loud mouth idiot. That doesn't change just because he is occasionally critical of the SPFL.

Yeah I know. You had your chance last season, ya muppet!

However, the statement uses quite strong language, like Falkirks statement, wanting an immediate change in governance. I don’t think they’ll be the only ones in the lower leagues. There does seem to be a feeling of some sort of ‘revolt’ brewing. Then again, I may be wide of the mark and they may pipe-down when they receive last years TV money 🙄

I am fighting the part of me that says **** em, but I get the feeling everyone has just about stomached as much as they can with the current board. 
Change is needed and long overdue. 

Pasquale for King

Apologies if it’s been covered but as we are back where we were in March re Covid cases,  if elite sports are allowed (I agree with that) then why weren’t they allowed back much quicker last spring. All the reasons used for keeping them closed down are still applicable. The leagues could’ve all been finished BCD and who knows what would’ve happened. 

32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

So that's Hibs and Motherwell making signings.  No need to squeal about money then.

Also with St Mirren signing Brophy and Livi bringing in Reilly there is not much sign that the Premiership teams are expecting the league to not finish.

No real surprise. These clubs are now getting exactly what they asked for. Time they all grew a set and opposed absolutely everything that comes from Doncaster and his acolytes until he is forced out.

10 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Also with St Mirren signing Brophy and Livi bringing in Reilly there is not much sign that the Premiership teams are expecting the league to not finish.

Nor is there any signs of the supposed money worries that one or two were bleating about.

Edited by Deevers

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I risk short term damage to my existence on earth if I catch COVID. Why should a young fit guy get the jag ahead of me? Why should a footballer get the jag ahead of me?  Think about it, you are suggesting a plumber who plays part -time football for Arbroath should be a high priority for a jag. Not sure how you can possibly think that or justify it. 

I'm not saying anyone should get the jag ahead of anyone. Who said that?

I'm not justifying anything, merely a suggestion.

However, There is also an argument for vaccinating folk that are working and mixing ahead of folk that don't work, can't work, are shielding and can work 100% from home, that is a different argument tho, not one I care to get into.

The argument for universal health care v private is also a separate argument, but it does exist.

For example, if Lothian buses, private care homes or Sainsbury's   wanted to pay for it's employees to get a vaccination as they are working on the frontline, dealing with the public and they want their staff to continue working, be as safe as possible and protect their business then I'd have no issue with it, as long as they are picking up the cost and not pushing to the front of the NHS queue.

As well as protecting their front line staff who are mixing with others, They'd also be saving the tax payer money.

Same principle with footballers or rugby players etc, if the professional sports are going ahead then imo it is worth the governing bodies exploring with it's members that possibility. Why wouldn't they?

The bigger argument is that professional sport should be suspended, the staff furloughed and therefore kept safe. This allows other professionals who are essential to work and cannot work from home  (from cleaning, retail, plumbing to Doctors) and vulnerable people to be vaccinated without other groups such as sportsman being at increased risk. That is common sense thing to do, but puts clubs, communities and more jobs at risk.

Sports people right now are essentially  putting themselves at risk possibly more than anyone apart from NHS staff dealing with COVID patients- they can't wear masks and they can't socially distance. Basically, footballers right now are doing the complete  opposite of the guidance , and for a game- doing unessential work, can't wear masks and can't socially distance.

The EPL for example could easily vaccinate all it's players through a paid foreign/ third  party, ensuring all it's staff are protected, less burden on the NHS, less cost to the tax payer and it can continue it's " Business" in the safest possible way.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

There is another argument.

20 employees who currently work with no ppe or social distancing getting vaccinated so they can carry out their job safely and not put themselves, their future career,  their family and community at further risk.

Are we still talking about footballers here because your statement could fit a multitude of essential workers.

Ok so, is their job essential?  I’d suggest not.

However your point about carrying out jobs safely not putting themselves, future career, family and community at further risk so, where do NHS/police/fire brigade/teachers/emergency plumbers-electricians/mail-delivery persons etc..fit in?  are they in front of the footballers or behind them?

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Are we still talking about footballers here because your statement could fit a multitude of essential workers.

However your point about carrying out jobs safely not putting themselves, future career, family and community at further risk so, where do NHS/police/fire brigade/teachers/emergency plumbers-electricians/mail-delivery persons etc..fit in?  are they in front of the footballers or behind them?

Further to my post.......

I don’t think “elite” queues for the privileged/well off would go down well if you consider their so called jabbers could be helping out with jabbing us minions. 

3 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

This! Some people have short memories!

23 minutes ago, j1964m said:

If they nil and void they will have to pay back even more money to Sky BTsports and BBC Scotland 

It will never be null and voided mate. Can you imagine any club except Celtic of course voting for that? The fans of clubs voting to null and void the season would be demanding their season ticket money back and rightly so. This situation is why most clubs made it clear a few weeks ago that they would not let the SPFL Board / Doncaster make decisions like this. They know Lawwel pulls Doncaster's strings and they will have been wise to this scenario.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

30 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not saying anyone should get the jag ahead of anyone. Who said that?

I'm not justifying anything, merely a suggestion.

However, There is also an argument for vaccinating folk that are working and mixing ahead of folk that don't work, can't work, are shielding and can work 100% from home, that is a different argument tho, not one I care to get into.

The argument for universal health care v private is also a separate argument, but it does exist.

For example, if Lothian buses, private care homes or Sainsbury's   wanted to pay for it's employees to get a vaccination as they are working on the frontline, dealing with the public and they want their staff to continue working, be as safe as possible and protect their business then I'd have no issue with it, as long as they are picking up the cost and not pushing to the front of the NHS queue.

As well as protecting their front line staff who are mixing with others, They'd also be saving the tax payer money.

Same principle with footballers or rugby players etc, if the professional sports are going ahead then imo it is worth the governing bodies exploring with it's members that possibility. Why wouldn't they?

The bigger argument is that professional sport should be suspended, the staff furloughed and therefore kept safe. This allows other professionals who are essential to work and cannot work from home  (from cleaning, retail, plumbing to Doctors) and vulnerable people to be vaccinated without other groups such as sportsman being at increased risk. That is common sense thing to do, but puts clubs, communities and more jobs at risk.

Sports people right now are essentially  putting themselves at risk possibly more than anyone apart from NHS staff dealing with COVID patients- they can't wear masks and they can't socially distance. Basically, footballers right now are doing the complete  opposite of the guidance , and for a game- doing unessential work, can't wear masks and can't socially distance.

The EPL for example could easily vaccinate all it's players through a paid foreign/ third  party, ensuring all it's staff are protected, less burden on the NHS, less cost to the tax payer and it can continue it's " Business" in the safest possible way.

2 minutes ago, eyesandears said:

It will never be null and voided mate. Can you imagine any club except Celtic of course voting for that? The fans of clubs voting to null and void the season would be demanding their season ticket money back and rightly so. This situation is why most clubs made it clear a few weeks ago that they would not let the SPFL Board / Doncaster make decisions like this. They know Lawwel pulls Doncaster's strings and they will have been wise to this scenario.

Hamilton?

6 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Hamilton?

Yes, you're right and Ross County and probably a couple of others like Killie and St Johnstone. ACTUALLY shite!! Because they'd rather vote to save their Premiership skins and Doncaster/Lawell will negotiate spreading the lost Sky income over the next four seasons of the tv deal. But could they get the 11 votes required from the Premiership teams? Rangers is an immediate '**** Off' and therefore only one other needs to say No (I think) and Null and Void is not a go-er

Bazzas right boot

A complete Null and void isn't an option. 

But, declaring the league done, giving out the championship and euro places and voiding relegation is an option. 

Pissing all over the lower league teams is also an option. 

1 minute ago, eyesandears said:

Yes, you're right and Ross County and probably a couple of others like Killie and St Johnstone. ACTUALLY shite!! Because they'd rather vote to save their Premiership skins and Doncaster/Lawell will negotiate spreading the lost Sky income over the next four seasons of the tv deal. But could they get the 11 votes required from the Premiership teams? Rangers is an immediate '**** Off' and therefore only one other needs to say No (I think) and Null and Void is not a go-er

👍

Apparently St Mirren and Killie win appeals against the 3-0 losses handed out to them.

Disappointing, I thought the penalties were one of the few things the SPFL has got right.

Ford Prentice

Doubt if Lawell is actually that bothered about the league title. It's all about the bottom line for him. There are two Champions League places this year so second will do him. Don't think he'll be conspiring for null and void. Nothing in it for him.

5 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Apparently St Mirren and Killie win appeals against the 3-0 losses handed out to them.

Disappointing, I thought the penalties were one of the few things the SPFL has got right.

After the Celtic debacle, this was a nap. Games forfeited to be rescheduled. Which for me is the correct decision as they did it for Celtic and Aberdeen.

Edited by John Findlay

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Have a laugh at that : Hearts get pilloried for going to court but St Cheats FC engaged TWO lawyers (one a QC) to appeal a disciplinary case. That must have cost them a few bob. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

After the Celtic debacle, this was a nap.

Now the Compliance Officer can sanction Celtic for failing to adhere to Covid protocols with a token fine being the limit of the sanction.  

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )