SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'm not saying anyone should get the jag ahead of anyone. Who said that?

I'm not justifying anything, merely a suggestion.

However, There is also an argument for vaccinating folk that are working and mixing ahead of folk that don't work, can't work, are shielding and can work 100% from home, that is a different argument tho, not one I care to get into.

The argument for universal health care v private is also a separate argument, but it does exist.

For example, if Lothian buses, private care homes or Sainsbury's   wanted to pay for it's employees to get a vaccination as they are working on the frontline, dealing with the public and they want their staff to continue working, be as safe as possible and protect their business then I'd have no issue with it, as long as they are picking up the cost and not pushing to the front of the NHS queue.

As well as protecting their front line staff who are mixing with others, They'd also be saving the tax payer money.

Same principle with footballers or rugby players etc, if the professional sports are going ahead then imo it is worth the governing bodies exploring with it's members that possibility. Why wouldn't they?

The bigger argument is that professional sport should be suspended, the staff furloughed and therefore kept safe. This allows other professionals who are essential to work and cannot work from home  (from cleaning, retail, plumbing to Doctors) and vulnerable people to be vaccinated without other groups such as sportsman being at increased risk. That is common sense thing to do, but puts clubs, communities and more jobs at risk.

Sports people right now are essentially  putting themselves at risk possibly more than anyone apart from NHS staff dealing with COVID patients- they can't wear masks and they can't socially distance. Basically, footballers right now are doing the complete  opposite of the guidance , and for a game- doing unessential work, can't wear masks and can't socially distance.

The EPL for example could easily vaccinate all it's players through a paid foreign/ third  party, ensuring all it's staff are protected, less burden on the NHS, less cost to the tax payer and it can continue it's " Business" in the safest possible way.

I agree that front line workers have a case. I don’t agree that prima donna’s that live a life of entitlement deserve the same. The COVID risk in a top flight footballers life is fairly minimal.  

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Right decision but the brass neck of St Mirren in particular is something to behold.

Their statement is hypocritical and they should be., if they had any morals, embarrassed. 

17 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

How can their be excess stock when not everyone has been vaccinated?

The Pfizer vaccine only lasts a few days. Say it's on last day. 100 dozes. 100 appointments. 90 people turn up. 10 dozes go in the bin. 

5 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

There is another argument.

20 employees who currently work with no ppe or social distancing getting vaccinated so they can carry out their job safely and not put themselves, their future career,  their family and community at further risk.

I've seen arrangements to request vaccines for front line staff already.

Maybe it's part of dealing with any excess.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I've seen arrangements to request vaccines for front line staff already.

Maybe it's part of dealing with any excess.

would make sense.

19 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Aye, well done Stuart Wallace, in your rush to show your smug indifference to lower league clubs you have pissed all over Partick Thistle's legitimate concerns about this new predicament they have been landed in. Short memory when you consider Hearts and Thistle were co-operating in last year's debacle due to shared injustice.

How to win friends and influence people, right enough

Strange take on it 🤔🤔

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Pfizer vaccine only lasts a few days. Say it's on last day. 100 dozes. 100 appointments. 90 people turn up. 10 dozes go in the bin. 

Not if it's stored properly.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Was explained fully yesterday's briefing why there is excess or waste and it has been factored into planning. 

Bit like Christmas dinner,  you would rather have too much than too little. 

Its a normal thing in planning to build in contingency 

On 10/01/2021 at 21:42, Seymour M Hersh said:

Indeed but being where we are the likelihood is we'll be in the first group shafted by them.  At least seeing Steven Gerrard's The Rangers losing out would be amusing. 

I would get no joy  whatsoever if it affects Hearts no matter who else looses out.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I agree that front line workers have a case. I don’t agree that prima donna’s that live a life of entitlement deserve the same. The COVID risk in a top flight footballers life is fairly minimal.  

I agree and  disagree.

Professional sport is not essential working, but they are working and in football's case mixing with at least another 21 individuals, more likely about 40 different ones every week. They can't wear face masks and and they can't socially distance in their job. 

Also, in Scotland many will have partners that work and maybe have their bubble with elderly parents and children, children who were recently at school. The husband then mixes with another  21+ bubbles with no protection. Not just that they are sweating, running, breathing hard, puling, touching them, shouting ( too many innuendos) Not just standing next to them.

Pretty high risk tbh compared to most other jobs in regards to catching covid.

The attitude seems to be they are young, paid well so it doesn't ,matter, if they catch it they will be ok- we don't even know that short term and in particular long term. That is Just as bad as trivialising the death of a patient that is elderly or has health complications imo.

It's almost as if some folk want football to continue BCD but are trivialising a football player catching it as a none issue, a hazard of the job! and how dare they get immunised before others, mainly  because some are very rich and they are young, but hey ho crack on and play the game so I have something to talk about and watch while I'm safe in my house or working with my ppe gear on.

It's a fascinating thing this covid on our society and culture's mindset in general, football is an extension of that.

Many in Scotland also  earn around £40-£50k, many less. hardly prima donna's tbh and if it was me not worth putting you or your families life at risk, i 'd be asking the question why every other work place has guidelines and protocols when at work but we can mix on a pitch like I was at an orgy.

In fact I think it will be a matter of time before it is brought up by the players unions. Just takes one player to die or become seriously ill, I 'd be surprised if it doesn't happen to a player or a family member at some point, unfortunately.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Was explained fully yesterday's briefing why there is excess or waste and it has been factored into planning. 

Bit like Christmas dinner,  you would rather have too much than too little. 

Its a normal thing in planning to build in contingency 

Also, some folk will refuse it.

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree and  disagree.

Professional sport is not essential working, but they are working and in football's case mixing with at least another 21 individuals, more likely about 40 different ones every week. They can't wear face masks and and they can't socially distance in their job. 

Also, in Scotland many will have partners that work and maybe have their bubble with elderly parents and children, children who were recently at school. The husband then mixes with another  21+ bubbles with no protection. Not just that they are sweating, running, breathing hard, puling, touching them, shouting ( too many innuendos) Not just standing next to them.

Pretty high risk tbh compared to most other jobs in regards to catching covid.

The attitude seems to be they are young, paid well so it doesn't ,matter, if they catch it they will be ok- we don't even know that short term and in particular long term. That is Just as bad as trivialising the death of a patient that is elderly or has health complications imo.

It's almost as if some folk want football to continue BCD but are trivialising a football player catching it as a none issue, a hazard of the job! and how dare they get immunised before others, mainly  because some are very rich and they are young, but hey ho crack on and play the game so I have something to talk about and watch while I'm safe in my house or working with my ppe gear on.

It's a fascinating thing this covid on our society and culture's mindset in general, football is an extension of that.

Many in Scotland also  earn around £40-£50k, many less. hardly prima donna's tbh and if it was me not worth putting you or your families life at risk, i 'd be asking the question why every other work place has guidelines and protocols when at work but we can mix on a pitch like I was at an orgy.

In fact I think it will be a matter of time before it is brought up by the players unions. Just takes one player to die or become seriously ill, I 'd be surprised if it doesn't happen to a player or a family member at some point, unfortunately.

Agree re your last point re the ‘orgies’ but every time they cuddle each other they are breaking the guidelines, as both Scottish and English football bodies have pointed out this week. Their work environment is very safe as vast majority of it is conducted outside. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, baxterd1974 said:

Not if it's stored properly.

Very difficult and bulky to keep stored, not something you want lying about.

Makes complete sense to use it up as it arrives and get as many vaccinated as possible, don't see why anyone would think other wise.

Completely practical to get any excess out there.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Agree re your last point re the ‘orgies’ but every time they cuddle each other they are breaking the guidelines, as both Scottish and English football bodies have pointed out this week. Their work environment is very safe as vast majority of it is conducted outside. 

It's outside but they can't keep a distance, are breathing heavy, coughing, panting, shouting and in very close proximity!

It's not like two folk cycling or playing a game of tennis!

Being outside is generally safer, but not when you are on top of another person ffs.

Testing is the safety net, but it's  not as good as a vaccine, hence my original point.

LarrysRightFoot

The statue quo in Scottish football can’t hold on much longer. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I will celebrate whoever gets relegated but let’s hope that these ***** are one of the two 🤞

Would you want Dundee coming up at the expense of whoever finished 2nd bottom though?!

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Really feel for people in the orgy business. Tough times for them.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Would you want Dundee coming up at the expense of whoever finished 2nd bottom though?!

ICT hopefully, I’d be loaning them a few players too at the end of this month if possible. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, Boof said:

Seems it was a joint decision between the SFA board and Minister for Public Health Sport and Wellbeing.

And who sits on the SFA board?

The main Board consists of eight members: the Scottish FA Office Bearers (Rod Petrie, President; Ian Maxwell, Chief Executive; and Michael Mulraney, Vice President), plus Neil Doncaster (PGB), Duncan Fraser (PGB), Thomas McKeown (NPGB) and independent non-executive directors, Ana Stewart and Malcolm Kpedekpo. 

I think our league is next and it might happen pretty soon. 

7 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Really? Find it hard to believe but happy to be educated 👍🏻

Up to you to believe it but my son who works on various nhs hospital sites has been offered the vaccine numerous times and been told just to pop along at the end of the day. It appears excess vaccines is a thing. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Really feel for people in the orgy business. Tough times for them.

We need more orgies imo 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Regardless of what you think of the chairman of Stenhousemuir, he has just nailed Doncaster on Sportsound.

The pity is he and most of the others shuffled their feet and said bugger all when it really mattered.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The pity is he and most of the others shuffled their feet and said bugger all when it really mattered.

He was on the radio every week during the fiasco around ending the league last season pretending to be the voice of reason. In the end though he voted for the demotions. Never said us Thistle and Stranraer were "offered up as martyrs" though despite that being exactly what happened. Those three clubs took the hit for everyone else, including his. Just another mouthpiece enjoying a bit of time the limelight.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

He was on the radio every week during the fiasco around ending the league last season pretending to be the voice of reason. In the end though he voted for the demotions. Never said us Thistle and Stranraer we're "offered up as martyrs" though despite that being exactly what happened. Those three clubs took the hit for everyone else. Just another mouthpiece enjoying a bit of time the limelight.

Exactly. No sympathy for him or his tin pot club. They now reap what they sowed.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

He was on the radio every week during the fiasco around ending the league last season pretending to be the voice of reason. In the end though he voted for the demotions. Never said us Thistle and Stranraer we're "offered up as martyrs" though despite that being exactly what happened. Those three clubs took the hit for everyone else. Just another mouthpiece enjoying a bit of time the limelight.

Exactly. Forgive me for not giving this dicksplash any credence.

gorgie rd eh11
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Regardless of what you think of the chairman of Stenhousemuir, he has just nailed Doncaster on Sportsound.

Pity he didn't go after Doncaster when it could have made a difference instead of sticking his head in the sand and ignoring the shambles in the summer. **** him.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Up to you to believe it but my son who works on various nhs hospital sites has been offered the vaccine numerous times and been told just to pop along at the end of the day. It appears excess vaccines is a thing. 

👍🏻

He is working on nhs sites though  

ToadKiller Dog

The 3-0 punishment was always going to be removed ,it was given out during a different time when the SFA /spfl/celtic board wanted to show to the Gov that they will come down hard on errors. 

They have moved on since then as they seem to want to antagonise the Gov .

As this decision (basically so celtic can get a light fine ) will add to that .

This mess over this really is all the Sfa/spfl/celtic boards own doing .

Might be easier to sell null n void to clubs  if they can blame the politicians  🤔 .

8 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

The 3-0 punishment was always going to be removed ,it was given out during a different time when the SFA /spfl/celtic board wanted to show to the Gov that they will come down hard on errors. 

They have moved on since then as they seem to want to antagonise the Gov .

As this decision (basically so celtic can get a light fine ) will add to that .

This mess over this really is all the Sfa/spfl/celtic boards own doing .

Might be easier to sell null n void to clubs  if they can blame the politicians  🤔 .

I don’t think many will be conned this time. It’s become so obvious what’s going on. 

south morocco
2 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

Aye, well done Stuart Wallace, in your rush to show your smug indifference to lower league clubs you have pissed all over Partick Thistle's legitimate concerns about this new predicament they have been landed in. Short memory when you consider Hearts and Thistle were co-operating in last year's debacle due to shared injustice.

How to win friends and influence people, right enough

Don’t think you’ve grasped that correctly mate 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Championship clubs asked if they want to suspend )

Suppose I'd better cite the source...   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55684189

Scottish FA chief executive Ian Maxwell has written to all 10 Championship clubs asking if they want to continue playing or suspend their league.

Maxwell has asked for replies no later than close of business on Monday.

In an email sent on Friday evening, he mentions that one Championship club has already publicly called for a suspension of all football.

Maxwell did not name the club in question and there is confusion over who he is referring to.

All Scottish football below the top two tiers has been suspended for a minimum of three weeks due to a surge in Covid-19 cases.

Championship clubs have been allowed to continue their truncated 27-game season, which began in mid-October, on the condition that they test players and staff weekly for Covid-19.

Maxwell wrote: "One SPFL championship club has publicly taken the position that all football should be suspended.

"The Scottish FA would like to understand the position of your club... please confirm if you are content to continue under the current exemption or whether your club considers that the Championship should be suspended."

Edited by Boof

The club asking I firmly believe is the one we are playing tomorrow. Tom got his exclusive from Hearts.

Edited by John Findlay

Berra than you

I'm sorry but there is zero reason for clubs not to continue. If they can't afford the testing then they have spent the governments money on something else. Should be made to hand it back. Keep playing until the government say otherwise.

ToadKiller Dog
24 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I don’t think many will be conned this time. It’s become so obvious what’s going on. 

I dont think they have the votes as yet either ,but if they can manoeuvre it to a no choice but position , where clubs once again go for self interest and chuck others under the bus .

Glamorgan Jambo

Any idea who has called for the Championship to be stopped? Surely not bottom of the league Alloa whose Chairman is No2 at the SFA..

Just now, ToadKiller Dog said:

I dont think they have the votes as yet either ,but if they can manoeuvre it to a no choice but position , where clubs once again go for self interest and chuck others under the bus .

Last season they used the new sky deal as a reason to end the season. This year there is no reason not to end the season no matter how long it takes

fabienleclerq
2 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

The one club should have the balls to go public with their demand to close down ,face the supporters .

That says they've already publicly said it, can't think who they are referring to? Raith? 

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )