SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

When I read comments like this it just builds the anger and frustration I have towards ***** like him and the shit wee club he’s at . 
Can affect jobs , too right it did ,my daughter lost hers at Hearts , only a small amount of hours but she loved it , when we were expelled from the league , did they think about Hearts and their staff when they voted ? Did they **** . I hope they disappear from football altogether . 

Can’t field a team , a team that boasts about its academy play the laddies, lose 3 points and take your medicine , simple . 

You’re absolutely right to be angry at nitwits who come out with stuff like that. They cared not a jot about the effect that their self interest and spite would have on ordinary, good people employed by Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer.

And the Scottish sports media were as bad. Too busy chortling away about the demise of the 3 clubs with not a care about the damage to good people’s lives.

It will be an unfortunate time for the employees of the clubs who look like having to make the same cut backs eventually. All potentially avoidable if common sense and decency had prevailed. A common plan to help all the clubs could have been achieved, but there was no interest from Ross County and plenty others.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

19 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

You’re absolutely right to be angry at nitwits who come out with stuff like that. They cared not a jot about the effect that their self interest and spite would have on ordinary, good people employed by Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer.

And the Scottish sports media were as bad. Too busy chortling away about the demise of the 3 clubs with not a care about the damage to good people’s lives.

It will be an unfortunate time for the employees of the clubs who look like having to make the same cut backs eventually. All potentially avoidable if common sense and decency had prevailed. A common plan to help all the clubs could have been achieved, but there was no interest from Ross County and plenty others.

Yep they can harp on about what they thought was best but in reality it was what was best for them and only them at the time , they can bleat about their plight all they want but as my old mum would say 

hell bloody mend them 

4 hours ago, Rods said:

It is a dangerous time for Hearts.

If the board gets the powers we are in real trouble.

As someone mentioned earlier teams would vote to a) keep us down b) keep us in the league for the cash. Thats why a boycott is needed and clubs folding is needed. We cannot trust the SPFL to do the right thing and we have to act accordingly.

Precisely why we as fans should ensure none of our cash hits the accounts of the clubs we play, if they can expect nothing from us you might get a fairer vote as they look for a sugar daddy, might!

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Think they need to avoid that vote happening because I suspect you are probably correct. Several things against a vote atm.  Europa League is big bucks for Celtic and Rangers and UEFA need to keep it going for tv money so we need that tournament to survive until early next year at the least and it will also help our case if both clubs make it to ko stages as SFA won’t stop our leagues when they are  still alive in Europe. Second thing is that the Sky money will largely disappear if the top league is called very early or cancelled. That will affect all clubs and will almost certainly be the final straw for many. 
interesting that at yesterday’s  meeting their proposal was for 3-0 results in the event of clubs being unable to fulfil fixtures rather than postponements. That suggest to me they are desperate to get through the full programme and fulfil their obligations to Sky to ensure the tv money comes in. Think we should be ok as long as the COVID situation doesn’t get really bad. 

They will only be ok if the Sky games are not the cancelled games!!!!

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

If it looks like we are going down that road I would want all Hearts supporters federations to release a statement saying we will not be attending any ground where a club voted to keep us down. 

I'd expect an official announcement from the club to that effect tbh. 

Once is bad, twice is beyond salvageable and I'd expect the club to do everything in its power to make it clear that we won't be doing anything to aid the sale of tickets at away clubs grounds who vote to hurt us again. 

1 minute ago, OTT said:

I'd expect an official announcement from the club to that effect tbh. 

Once is bad, twice is beyond salvageable and I'd expect the club to do everything in its power to make it clear that we won't be doing anything to aid the sale of tickets at away clubs grounds who vote to hurt us again. 

I doubt the club would ever take that step officially and it would be up to the fans to drive it. 

15 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

They will only be ok if the Sky games are not the cancelled games!!!!

I’m pretty sure Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs will have enough players to play the televised games 

There are 145,000 reasons a month to convince me beyond doubt the wisdom of Wordsworth when he said "he who laughs last absolutely Stanton's himself".

That will be us.  Justice will out.

Kettlewell is talking shite.

They aren't going to be deducted points, they're going to forfeit the opportunity to challenge for them.

A deduction implies something they've got being taken away.

Brick Tamland

Sportsound just now - if people can go into shopping centres they can go into football grounds :facepalm::facepalm:

Just now, Brick Tamland said:

Sportsound just now - if people can go into shopping centres they can go into football grounds :facepalm::facepalm:

I'm listening. They really think they should be a special case.

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I'd trust a football stadium more than some of the shopping centres and the idiots who flout the rules within them and the security or lack of it by the owners

PS but it's hardly the time to think fans can attend anyway

Edited by CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

But no mention of the tinks outside Parkhead on Saturday.

If there is any chat of reconstruction to not relegate teams from the premier league we should be trying to prevent this at all costs. 

Promotion and relegation are fundamentals of football. 

Brick Tamland
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I'd trust a football stadium more than some of the shopping centres and the idiots who flout the rules within them and the security or lack of it by the owners

PS but it's hardly the time to think fans can attend anyway

There aren’t 5/10/20 thousand people trying to leave a shopping centre at the same time though and that’s where one of the problems with football stadiums lie. 

gorgie rd eh11
3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

The Aberdeen ****y trying to make out he's thinking of the ordinary supporter when he's desperate to get the corporate in. **** them, the half wits on sportsound swallow it hook line and sinker.

The fact many of our away games look as though they are going to be shown live on BBC on Friday nights is just beautiful. A good few rat clubs were hoping we would all chuck money at them to stream them back to our Jambo houses 🤣🤣 they get fek all and we watch it on cooncil tv.  Many of us putting the ticket price into FOH .  

Edited by 1971fozzy

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

There aren’t 5/10/20 thousand people trying to leave a shopping centre at the same time though and that’s where one of the problems with football stadiums lie. 

On the flip side most will be walking away not jumping into cars in a car park and having to Q to leave at times

At this time there is little hope of fans attending but 5000 could be possible and to be frank cleared easily from our stadium with only a few minutes more delay than it would currently take so I can't buy your 'leaving' point

Pasquale for King

Let the fans in, they will behave. Not criticising the Kiev fans as I’ve seen this in France and Scandinavia but Social distancing seems to be difficult to do. If the police can’t stop the fans of the uglies trashing away grounds how are they going to keep them from congregating even in smaller numbers.

0DFE6B4A-C2A3-446C-9137-17270A485C07.jpeg

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m pretty sure Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs will have enough players to play the televised games 

Not if covid kicks in big time!

34 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Not if covid kicks in big time!

If it’s a big problem then the games a bogey very few clubs will remain viable. 

jamboinglasgow

Interesting thread on twitter by the guy of Pie and Bovril

Now I know we did the similar promise, but at least the club has tried to tackle the issue of it now and tried to be honest about the situation and give some kind of solution. It looks like these clubs have gone further in the promise and could be very badly affected by this.

Forgot about this thread, and just about **** myself when I read the title thinking something new had happened to this season :lol: 

Can we maybe update the title to "SPFL Declare League 2019/20 due to COVID"?

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Interesting thread on twitter by the guy of Pie and Bovril

Now I know we did the similar promise, but at least the club has tried to tackle the issue of it now and tried to be honest about the situation and give some kind of solution. It looks like these clubs have gone further in the promise and could be very badly affected by this.

You can add to that non-playing staff still on furlough until the end of this month, plus all the defered wages due to be paid out.  In some cases the defered wages were in instalments but they went with the certainty that fans would be allowed into stadiums as of last week.

Whats your thoughs on Hamilton?  Not one season ticket sold, that will work in their favour as of season 21/22, but how is this season financed?

Then the likes of DU and Killie if they survive this season, next will be a belter with fans wanting either their money back or a free pass next season? the former went all-in to get to the promised land, where larger away support including 3 guaranteed OF games, all gone for a burton????

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

It’s all panning out rather pleasingly 

I find it impossible to feel any sympathy for any other club. 

So I just laugh like a drain instead.

GIRFU all of them!

I still bemoan the loss of Third Lanark and wonder if collectively, all the other league clubs couldn't have rallied round to help them.

Contrast that with my views today.  I won't come remotely close to shedding a tear if any of clubs which voted against us in the bribery vote goes bankrupt.

Still can't understand what's kept some of them afloat this long.

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I still bemoan the loss of Third Lanark and wonder if collectively, all the other league clubs couldn't have rallied round to help them.

Contrast that with my views today.  I won't come remotely close to shedding a tear if any of clubs which voted against us in the bribery vote goes bankrupt.

I'm with you, I had respect for a club like Third Lanark and was sad to see them go, even these clubs with a rich history who have voted against us are dead to me now, I hope they fold!

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Was Airdrionians any different? Murray forced them into a winding up order over 30k or so IIRC - where was the sympathy from other clubs then?

"There's nothing new under the sun"

2 minutes ago, trotter said:

Was Airdrionians any different? Murray forced them into a winding up order over 30k or so IIRC - where was the sympathy from other clubs then?

"There's nothing new under the sun"

You're probably right.  I don't know much about that one.  I can say though that as a youngster when Third Lanark went down, there was a deep sense of sadness and frustration right across the board.

Iirc Rangers tried to help by paying above the odds for a player called Junior McGillivray.  Wasn't enough though and again, iirc, that young man died in an accident.

Hagar the Horrible
8 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I am sure parts of Cathkin park are still there.  A huge stadium next door to an even bigger stadium owned by an amatuer club...madness.  This mess has taken off the romance glasses I have blinded by the love of the game, and even the history of others.  The SFA passed a rule that all games must start with a new ball and that would be the responibility of the home side to provide it.  Thinrd Lanark were famous for when the game kicked off, they would kick the new ball out of play and immediatly throw on to the park an old ball.  and when that ball wore down they painted it white.

Looking back were they so skint they could not afford a ball, and why did nobody donate one, or sponsor one?  Or were the chairman so filled with greed they would not spend a penny on anything appart from themselves?  Still we all know who scored their last ever goal!

I too bemoan TL, and still do dispite the cloud surrounding them has cleared.  But this new lot can burn!!!!!

manaliveits105

I see one of Third Lanarks nicknames was the  Hi HI which was rumoured to have started during a match in the late 1890s when a defender kicked the ball so high out of the ground that the crowd started screaming High High High and that nickname stayed with the club ever since . Theres a team in Edinburgh Harbour who pretend to play football but more often than not blooter the ball skyward so maybe  The Hi Hi bernians !! should take over that moniker 

SectionDJambo
12 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I am sure parts of Cathkin park are still there.  A huge stadium next door to an even bigger stadium owned by an amatuer club...madness.  This mess has taken off the romance glasses I have blinded by the love of the game, and even the history of others.  The SFA passed a rule that all games must start with a new ball and that would be the responibility of the home side to provide it.  Thinrd Lanark were famous for when the game kicked off, they would kick the new ball out of play and immediatly throw on to the park an old ball.  and when that ball wore down they painted it white.

Looking back were they so skint they could not afford a ball, and why did nobody donate one, or sponsor one?  Or were the chairman so filled with greed they would not spend a penny on anything appart from themselves?  Still we all know who scored their last ever goal!

I too bemoan TL, and still do dispite the cloud surrounding them has cleared.  But this new lot can burn!!!!!

Was it not the case that Third Lanark were deliberately run into the ground, by their chairman and major shareholder, as a ploy to build houses on Cathkin Park. Glasgow council refused planning permission and made it clear that they never would consent. That being one of the reasons it's still there.

I was at Cathkin when we were playing Dunfermline at Hampden in the 1968 final, my uncle Jocky Robertson had taken me and said they were still due him some of his wages.

Hagar the Horrible
35 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Was it not the case that Third Lanark were deliberately run into the ground, by their chairman and major shareholder, as a ploy to build houses on Cathkin Park. Glasgow council refused planning permission and made it clear that they never would consent. That being one of the reasons it's still there.

You would think 50 years on, and a greedy council something would be built on in?  However I worked on (section25 contaminated land circa 2002)  and the whole area was riidled with chromium which the council used on red ash parks and terracing to supress weeds! That stuff is worse than radio activity, as in 1m years nuclear waste has a half life and will be safe, Chromium wont.  There is some reason why there has been no planning permission for housing which the director tried to sell the stadium to do?

There was an investigation into TL and their demise,  its shoking just shocking, and nothing has changed in 50 years, sadly the guy died before he could be jailed, its the same story as sevco.

wiki: 

A subsequent  investigation into Third Lanark's affairs - which was published in November 1968 - revealed constant player squabbles and bitter internal struggles for power, as well as the fact that the corruption at Cathkin extended to defrauding the club lottery (which rarely paid out the weekly £200 prize). It was also disclosed that players were paid late and often in coins rather than notes, they had to make their own way to away matches, hot water was not available after matches and every appointment in the club's management was made personally by club chairman Bill Hiddelston. This may have been a disincentive for anyone who was not close to Hiddelston to remain working for, or remain as a shareholder of, the club.

Edited by Hagar the Horrible

9 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Scratching my head at this as well.

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

You would think 50 years on, and a greedy council something would be built on in?  However I worked on (section25 contaminated land circa 2002)  and the whole area was riidled with chromium which the council used on red ash parks and terracing to supress weeds! That stuff is worse than radio activity, as in 1m years nuclear waste has a half life and will be safe, Chromium wont.  There is some reason why there has been no planning permission for housing which the director tried to sell the stadium to do?

There was an investigation into TL and their demise,  its shoking just shocking, and nothing has changed in 50 years, sadly the guy died before he could be jailed, its the same story as sevco.

wiki: 

A subsequent  investigation into Third Lanark's affairs - which was published in November 1968 - revealed constant player squabbles and bitter internal struggles for power, as well as the fact that the corruption at Cathkin extended to defrauding the club lottery (which rarely paid out the weekly £200 prize). It was also disclosed that players were paid late and often in coins rather than notes, they had to make their own way to away matches, hot water was not available after matches and every appointment in the club's management was made personally by club chairman Bill Hiddelston. This may have been a disincentive for anyone who was not close to Hiddelston to remain working for, or remain as a shareholder of, the club.

I seem to remember the rumour at the time was that John Lawrence (rangers chairman and house builder?) was heavily involved in their demise .

Last time I was at a game there the rainwater ran off Prospecthill Road down the terracing filling my shoes !

Hagar the Horrible
15 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I seem to remember the rumour at the time was that John Lawrence (rangers chairman and house builder?) was heavily involved in their demise .

Last time I was at a game there the rainwater ran off Prospecthill Road down the terracing filling my shoes !

trying to go through my old notes but most of that stuff is in the loft,  from memory he might have been the guy who built the stand but never got paid, However him and Marlborough did some job at Ibrox, the centenary stand and then using the pools to pay for the copeland road stand and then the broomloan, however selling to SDM for peanuts was not right.  £6m

I dont hink he was involved in deleiberty trying to kill them,   Hiddelston was too controlling for that, but he would have as a business man tried to buy the land, either at the time or after their demise.  But remember they were trying to move to Bishopbriggs, next to HMP Low Moss.  Only they werent, the director was doing a Shooter.  It also stinks of Clydebank trying to move to Dublin

34 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

The last time my mate and I went to Third Lanark, went by train from the Caley!   We got in early went to the kiosk on the high terracing for a pie,  the guy in the kiosk went to the oven ( domestic sort of oven) then said shit   'it's gone oot'  the gas was still on!   nearly gassed ouselves eating them!! 

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Done some digging, there is a caveat from the local authority that the land can only used for recreation purposes.

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Budge up.....I’m on your train....fancy a brew?

SectionDJambo
53 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Done some digging, there is a caveat from the local authority that the land can only used for recreation purposes.

Long memories there.

It is in some ways a unique place. A ghost football ground if you like.

I'm not quite old enough to have seen Third Lanark, but I do remember them being a club playing against Hearts. I've seen highlights of a Hearts game through there on YouTube. 

It would be shame if other clubs went the same way instead of downgrading to preserve existence. The short sighted self interest of most of them during the summer has, more or less, made it certain some will go.

2 hours ago, johnthomas said:

1 hour ago, zakred said:

The last time my mate and I went to Third Lanark, went by train from the Caley!   We got in early went to the kiosk on the high terracing for a pie,  the guy in the kiosk went to the oven ( domestic sort of oven) then said shit   'it's gone oot'  the gas was still on!   nearly gassed ouselves eating them!! 

The last time I was there was in 1961 with the Longstone Hearts Supporters bus.  It was a crappy wee ground with only cinders on the terracing so my shoes were filthy when I got home.  But we won, so that was all that mattered.

It's an empty shell of a place the last time I looked, which was about 6-7 years ago.

Hagar the Horrible
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Long memories there.

It is in some ways a unique place. A ghost football ground if you like.

I'm not quite old enough to have seen Third Lanark, but I do remember them being a club playing against Hearts. I've seen highlights of a Hearts game through there on YouTube. 

It would be shame if other clubs went the same way instead of downgrading to preserve existence. The short sighted self interest of most of them during the summer has, more or less, made it certain some will go.

I good few years back I took my laddie and a couple of his mates to the hampdump museum and  stadium tour, took them to Cathkin park afterwards, It was like being at Culloden or Auschwitz it felt like it had ghosts, horrible earie feeling.  Hope to do the same at Love Street and Starks park in about 5 years

53 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The last time I was there was in 1961 with the Longstone Hearts Supporters bus.  It was a crappy wee ground with only cinders on the terracing so my shoes were filthy when I got home.  But we won, so that was all that mattered.

It's an empty shell of a place the last time I looked, which was about 6-7 years ago.

Was there before the 2012 Cup Final. Passed a few Hibs fans along the perimeter. One said it's important to remember it's only a game. Meant well and hope it stood him in good stead for the pumping that followed...

Last time I was at Cathkin was a 2-0 win for us.  Memorable in that it was freezing and I had both my hands on a metal barrier.  When i tried to move one of them it was stuck.  When i was able to release them a layer of skin stayed put.  Agony.

A local chemist did a brilliant job free of charge.

Really pleased to have that memory of a club that we had played in a Cup final not long before their demise.

28 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I good few years back I took my laddie and a couple of his mates to the hampdump museum and  stadium tour, took them to Cathkin park afterwards, It was like being at Culloden or Auschwitz it felt like it had ghosts, horrible earie feeling.  Hope to do the same at Love Street and Starks park in about 5 years

I used to live near Love Street

Its houses now but I know what you meant.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
  • davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )