SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

Just now, kila said:

Aye. That's what I think will happen.

No relegation, no playoffs. But 'now is the time for league reconstruction...'.

Because if the league did get called early and there was no promotion for Hearts, I don't think the SPFL (and whoever is bottom) could afford another legal fight. Hearts can though.

They wouldn't face a legal challenge.  They'll go with the members' club schtick.  Put forward a resolution to vote on and vote it through.  

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

Just now, Victorian said:

They wouldn't face a legal challenge.  They'll go with the members' club schtick.  Put forward a resolution to vote on and vote it through.  

Compensation claim?

Would they even get enough votes for this anyway? Might as well just not bother with the Championship if there was no promotion. Would sponsors still be happy?

5 minutes ago, kila said:

Compensation claim?

Would they even get enough votes for this anyway? Might as well just not bother with the Championship if there was no promotion. Would sponsors still be happy?

Trouble is there's no rules in place.   They can give the board executive powers or decide stuff on a vote by vote basis.  If they vote through another carve up then I don't see any case for us.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Trouble is there's no rules in place.   They can give the board executive powers or decide stuff on a vote by vote basis.  If they vote through another carve up then I don't see any case for us.

What vote is needed to get it through? Over 75%?

I imagine the clubs that have a chance of 'promotion' will vote against this. 3 per lower league would be enough.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

What vote is needed to get it through? Over 75%?

I imagine the clubs that have a chance of 'promotion' will vote against this. 3 per lower league would be enough.

Not sure but no doubt it will be separate leagues and different majority levels.  Premiership clubs will be keen to band together for mutual protection.  Some Championship clubs might be stupid enough to think they stand to benefit from Hearts fans next season.  Maybe the board will be given executive powers to decide and all the skullduggery will take place behind the scenes.  

2 hours ago, Goodfella said:

Snippet from Stephen Mcgowan in the Scottish Daily Mail the other day was revealing and backs up what you've said.

Was only a paragraph but states 'Premiership clubs are set to resist any relegation or promotion unless the Championship plays all 27 games - and that could see Hearts hammered for a second time.' The actual balls and brass neck on these pricks.

This has been the plan all along - that risible tosser at Ross County gave the game away months ago (though, since they are doing ok this season, he might pretend otherwise). 

No doubt the sentiment has grown since we had the temerity to challenge their bullshit vote. 

If the leagues get cancelled  then SKY will want their money back and that will be a shitload of trouble for them. Remember the SPFL and SFA are skint. Borrowing £5m they really are on their knees. 
I think there would be reconstruction as some will fold hopefully 

In event of a repeat, Hearts must be placed with the highest PPG and biggest GD.  Only scoring 1 goal against Arbroath meant that they fall down rhe ladder by goal difference.  That is why the game was so disappointing with so few attempts at goal.

On 23/10/2020 at 18:04, Victorian said:

It's no accident that this sort of skullduggery is being schemed now,  early in the season.  There's quite a few clubs who will be very keen to scheme their way to a no relegation scenario.  Later on in the season it might be that one or two clubs are cut adrift and the overall mutual interest of no relegation might not have the same level of support.  I think they'll be only too happy to pull the ladder up while a whole bunch of them share the risk of relegation.   

I'm actually expecting it.  Resigned to it.  If the season completes somehow then great.  But I think we're going to have to face another bucket of shit coming our way.  Might as well be prepared for it now.

Calling the leagues early is financially even worse for the top team leagues than playing in front of fans. Don’t think they will call the leagues and lose the Sky money unless things are dire. Similarly with lower leagues if no fans get in this season then the only significant income they have is tv money. 

They won't call the league this time, they'll declare it null and void. It was only called last time because Rangers and everyone else  knew they had no chance of catching Celtic.

They will declare it void, and start again with the same teams in the same divisions,  later in the year. They will also find someway of keeping clubs like St Mirren, Hamilton, Livi etc solvent until the fans come back.

On 23/10/2020 at 14:54, jambonian said:

Great pic. Surprised it's still like that. Wonder if any other clubs' old grounds are still visible? Clydebank's Kilbowie, St Johnstone's old Muirton Park, Douglas Park Hamilton, Broomfield in Airdrie, Falkirk's Brockville? Actually...probably not. Housing estates now more like.

Probably been answered already but I'm pretty sure none of those old grounds are now housing. I think they are all either supermarkets or retail parks.

The league’s will be finished. We are currently playing during a second wave. The top league clubs saying about no promotion are more stupid than I thought. They have shown their hand in court. Ironically I reckon it would have been easier to half relegation/promotions if it was a 14 team league. 

Also if it comes to a situation we’re the league can’t finish this comes hand in hand with no crowds. This will be a deathknell for a lot of clubs. There may be no promotion but there would be reconstruction and they will have to beg us join there league.  

Edited by Rods

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Rods said:

The league’s will be finished. We are currently playing during a second wave. The top league clubs saying about no promotion are more stupid than I thought. They have shown their hand in court. Ironically I reckon it would have been easier to half relegation/promotions if it was a 14 team league. 

Also if it comes to a situation we’re the league can’t finish this comes hand in hand with no crowds. This will be a deathknell for a lot of clubs. There may be no promotion but there would be reconstruction and they will have to beg us join there league.  

I wonder how much they’re losing without our fans buying streams in their thousands for away games, say it was £15-£20 and we weren’t in the mood to boycott would we have 5-10k paying for streams? That’s a fair bit of cash they’re losing out on, a real shame isn’t it 😆?

The SPFL are so inconsistent it’s hard to judge what they will do and it’s difficult to tell whether they will help or shaft us, I’m thinking it will be the latter after we rightly kicked up a fuss. 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wonder how much they’re losing without our fans buying streams in their thousands for away games, say it was £15-£20 and we weren’t in the mood to boycott would we have 5-10k paying for streams? That’s a fair bit of cash they’re losing out on, a real shame isn’t it 😆?

The SPFL are so inconsistent it’s hard to judge what they will do and it’s difficult to tell whether they will help or shaft us, I’m thinking it will be the latter after we rightly kicked up a fuss. 

The 2500 fine we got was based on what they felt they could fine Patrick, else fine would have been 6 figure.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know the Championship teams are losing a fortune for each BBC game v.s Hearts they show anyway. Most of that BBC tv money goes to top league and these clubs were relying on 3/4k Hearts fans buying a stream at 10-15 quid a pop. Delightful. Long may the BBC Hearts away coverage continue this season 🙂

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Riccarton3 said:

The 2500 fine we got was based on what they felt they could fine Patrick, else fine would have been 6 figure.

It was a big shock actually. Have we ever found out how much the costs we encountered were? 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I agree with a lot of what’s on here - we will be very lucky (not the right word but you know what I mean) to go up this season. It won’t take much longer for St Mirren to start pushing the no relegation agenda because they are ****ed. And as someone else, that’s when we’ll get the whole ‘need to look after each other line’.

Although for what it’s worth, I think the Championship has a reasonable chance of finishing.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It was a big shock actually. Have we ever found out how much the costs we encountered were? 

Only until you realise we were not the only party. How could you fine one club more than the other? Though I bet they considered it. No idea re costs. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

I know the Championship teams are losing a fortune for each BBC game v.s Hearts they show anyway. Most of that BBC tv money goes to top league and these clubs were relying on 3/4k Hearts fans buying a stream at 10-15 quid a pop. Delightful. Long may the BBC Hearts away coverage continue this season 🙂

Hahahahaha right enough, not sure if my mental health can put up with watching these away trips. But for the greater good let’s hope it continues. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Riccarton3 said:

Only until you realise we were not the only party. How could you fine one club more than the other? Though I bet they considered it. No idea re costs. 

Yeah if it had just been us who knows what if would’ve been. 

Bazzas right boot

All a bit depressing this and we could get shafted. 

The only saving grace is that the league will have to be played to a conclusion this time as the SFA and the clubs can't afford to dish out refunds to sky and bcd  games are possible as is extending the season. 

Surely if the league is finished then promotion / relegation has to happen, how could they justify anything else? 

42 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I agree with a lot of what’s on here - we will be very lucky (not the right word but you know what I mean) to go up this season. It won’t take much longer for St Mirren to start pushing the no relegation agenda because they are ****ed. And as someone else, that’s when we’ll get the whole ‘need to look after each other line’.

Although for what it’s worth, I think the Championship has a reasonable chance of finishing.

This is what I am alluding to the clubs would have a better chance if it was a 14 team league to push the no relegation agenda. I think it won’t be no relegation or promotion(ship has sailed) I think teams like St Mirren will be looking for reconstruction. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

The one consistency is that they will shaft us any way they can, they are a bitter corrupt bunch, my hope this goes terribly wrong for them!

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, gator said:

The one consistency is that they will shaft us any way they can, they are a bitter corrupt bunch, my hope this goes terribly wrong for them!

Usually, but the £2.5k fine was lenient in the extreme. 

5 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Disagree. 

The SPL is a third done already and even the Championship have had a couple of weeks unaffected. There will be postponements along the way but I reckon the leagues will finish. 

The various leagues should have done as much front loading of fixtures as possible.  The league cup should have been put off until late in the season on a straight knockout basis.  The leagues in England play weekend-midweek for quite a while at this time of year so it can be done.  They should have had the leagues playing as many league games as possible to create as many spare fixture dates as possible in case of any trouble.  

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The various leagues should have done as much front loading of fixtures as possible.  The league cup should have been put off until late in the season on a straight knockout basis.  The leagues in England play weekend-midweek for quite a while at this time of year so it can be done.  They should have had the leagues playing as many league games as possible to create as many spare fixture dates as possible in case of any trouble.  

That was never an option for Doncaster, as they were relying on the wedge of money from Premier Sports for broadcasting the League Cup. 

Now its up and running, I actually think we have more of a chance of completing all our fixtures in the first division than the teams in the top flight do. 

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep, and should have canned internationals for a while as well 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

But in that scenario if fans are allowed back early next year in some numbers then there'd be less fixtures left to have them. The top flight also need a number of midweeks free for the Europa League group stage otherwise more postponements to go with the CV19 ones.

I don't think the SPFL can afford the top flight not to finish - they'd end up having to pay Sky to televise Scottish games. Hopefully enough free midweeks for the Championship to finish properly. But Euro 2021 does make it all this a really tight finish...

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, and should have canned internationals for a while as well 

The SFA need the tv money from them. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

The SFA need the tv money from them. 

True but I think UEFA should have stopped them for a while, if only to stop players moving out with their club bubbles and travelling all over the place. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

True but I think UEFA should have stopped them for a while, if only to stop players moving out with their club bubbles and travelling all over the place. 

Too many snouts in the trough for that. 

9 hours ago, Goodfella said:

The lack of foresight from these jokers is laughable. 

8 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Usually, but the £2.5k fine was lenient in the extreme. 

Lenient only because we were not alone.

4 hours ago, blairdin said:

That was never an option for Doncaster, as they were relying on the wedge of money from Premier Sports for broadcasting the League Cup. 

Now its up and running, I actually think we have more of a chance of completing all our fixtures in the first division than the teams in the top flight do. 

And if the Premiership stops so does virtually the only income stream that these clubs will have as Sky won't pay unless they get product. They have got all their eggs in one basket and its all hanging by a thread! 

The SPFL request for these powers is like the original Brevit vote. The vote should only take place once a clear plan is in place so clubs can make a considered choice.

If that's a case of scrapping playoffs and league being able to be called after 75% of league games then at least they'd have that info to make a decision on.

Not great for us potentially but at least it wouldnt come to a vote further down the line when clubs are voting with full knowledge it'll save their skin etc

23 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

All a bit depressing this and we could get shafted. 

The only saving grace is that the league will have to be played to a conclusion this time as the SFA and the clubs can't afford to dish out refunds to sky and bcd  games are possible as is extending the season. 

Surely if the league is finished then promotion / relegation has to happen, how could they justify anything else? 

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of finishing the League season in any of the divisions and many teams will go under. There will be a new look top tier next season and it won't have anything to do with promotion/relegation. I fear this covid crap is going to wreak havoc over the winter.

willie wallace

Surely they any games that were called off in the top league could be played in the weeks of European ties.

As long as they don't involve Celtic or Rangers there shouldn't be a problem.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, willie wallace said:

Surely they any games that were called off in the top league could be played in the weeks of European ties.

As long as they don't involve Celtic or Rangers there shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like a sensible solution. 

Psychedelicropcircle
54 minutes ago, JoeHarper said:

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of finishing the League season in any of the divisions and many teams will go under. There will be a new look top tier next season and it won't have anything to do with promotion/relegation. I fear this covid crap is going to wreak havoc over the winter.

I hope your right!

11 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I hope your right!

I dunno. If the leagues don’t finish then the pressure will be on to null and void the seasons, regardless of how they voted previously. 

We need the leagues to finish (and us to finish top, obviously)

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, JoeHarper said:

Teams going bust may be an issue but even if covid is running through society, outwith a total Lockdown ordered by the government then I see no reason why bcd games would be effected any more different to what they are now. 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I hope your right!

You hope covid wrecks havoc? 

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Poseidon said:

The SPFL request for these powers is like the original Brevit vote. The vote should only take place once a clear plan is in place so clubs can make a considered choice.

If that's a case of scrapping playoffs and league being able to be called after 75% of league games then at least they'd have that info to make a decision on.

Not great for us potentially but at least it wouldnt come to a vote further down the line when clubs are voting with full knowledge it'll save their skin etc

100% correct t and common sense. 

Maybe Doncaster has a oven ready plan... 🤔

Edited by Smith's right boot

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Teams going bust may be an issue but even if covid is running through society, outwith a total Lockdown ordered by the government then I see no reason why bcd games would be effected any more different to what they are now. 

Not sure what bcd games are but I just think more and more players will test positive and games will be postponed. I can't see any way in which that can be avoided.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I see a couple of AC Milan players have tested positive....days after playing the superspreaders of Parkhead. 🤔

They did spend time in a Covid Hotspot as well as playing against those horrible *******s. 

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

100% correct t and common sense. 

Maybe Doncaster has a oven ready plan... 🤔

Or die in a ditch 🤞

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

They did spend time in a Covid Hotspot as well as playing against those horrible *******s. 

Definitely think it would be the contact with the horrible *******s 😁

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )