SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )

Heres Rixxy

On 19/10/2020 at 19:55, Sir Gio said:

The SPFL is powerless. It is a ridiculous vote League by League. 

They don't have the mandate, it has to come from the clubs. 

English game just had its first pass at the power grab shot down. 

We really want Doncaster to succeed this time,  if we all know its PPG at least that is fair if we all know that now. 

[bIt's when you make these decisions after the event it becomes unfair. [/b]

Really what has changed for these clubs who voted for PPG in April. They didn't need a crystal ball,  they do now.

Totally agree. I always felt that if there had been rules in place from the start of last season that defined what would happen if the season was disrupted/curtailed by a pandemic, war, meteor strike, alien invasion, or whatever, and they'd said that whoever was bottom when the season was cut short would be relegated, I'd have totally accepted us going down. Every club would have known the potential danger of being bottom at any point during the season, even if most would have failed to recognise the probability of it becoming an issue. Deciding after the event to retrospectively apply rules, when the clubs deciding already know what the outcome is for them, is completely unjust.

• Replies 93.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• Ethan Hunt

• Beast Boy

St.Midden with 4 new positive cases. When are they going to get looked into? Happening all the time To them. More positive tests than results

5 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

St.Midden with 4 new positive cases. When are they going to get looked into? Happening all the time To them. More positive tests than results

They are desperate to get the season null and void 

Footballfirst

Does anyone know if the incidence of positive tests among Scottish Premiership players is higher than in the general population.

With the frequency of testing you would expect it to be a bit higher, as a result of identification of asymtomatic players, but not excessively so (asymptomatic individuals are also being picked up among NHS staff, care staff and students).

Is there something amiss with the protocols or the behaviours of the playing and coaching staff, or is playing and training for football just a high risk activity in itself?

7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Does anyone know if the incidence of positive tests among Scottish Premiership players is higher than in the general population.

With the frequency of testing you would expect it to be a bit higher, as a result of identification of asymtomatic players, but not excessively so (asymptomatic individuals are also being picked up among NHS staff, care staff and students).

Is there something amiss with the protocols or the behaviours of the playing and coaching staff, or is playing and training for football just a high risk activity in itself?

Better to compare the ONS survey that tests the general population 

But it's up to SPFL in investigating each game postponed to look at all this. Looks like another investigation will be needed. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Last time I was at Cathkin was a 2-0 win for us.  Memorable in that it was freezing and I had both my hands on a metal barrier.  When i tried to move one of them it was stuck.  When i was able to release them a layer of skin stayed put.  Agony.

A local chemist did a brilliant job free of charge.

Really pleased to have that memory of a club that we had played in a Cup final not long before their demise.

I remember going to Cathkin when Jim McFadzean scored a hat trick for us. They were a good club run into the ground by a crook. There is a documentary on BBC Scotland about Third Lanark that they show every now and again. I don't know how you would see it where you are. 

Hagar the Horrible
15 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It does give Tony Fitzpatrick more egg on his face,  Ross from well is fully justified in his comments. 

3-0 to Hamilton and Motherwell and relegate them, they are doing something wrong

Guest ToqueJambo
On 21/10/2020 at 05:53, Hagar the Horrible said:

You can add to that non-playing staff still on furlough until the end of this month, plus all the defered wages due to be paid out.  In some cases the defered wages were in instalments but they went with the certainty that fans would be allowed into stadiums as of last week.

Whats your thoughs on Hamilton?  Not one season ticket sold, that will work in their favour as of season 21/22, but how is this season financed?

Then the likes of DU and Killie if they survive this season, next will be a belter with fans wanting either their money back or a free pass next season? the former went all-in to get to the promised land, where larger away support including 3 guaranteed OF games, all gone for a burton????

I still maintain D Utd would be a good bet to get into trouble. They're not playing well and it looks like they've missed their chance to cash in on Shankland , and they're still in mucho debt. Their owner's entire strategy is to buy and sell players for big profit and he hasn't done it once yet. Add to the the possibility of ST sales being decimated for next season.... Although I do think, like Hearts fans, most fans of all clubs bought a ST out of hope more than expectation and if their club says they'll be in trouble if they honour any guarantee etc, they'll treat their ST as a donation or accept whatever alternative offer they get, unless they are in financial difficulty.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

****ing hell. Do they all go around coughing on each other all day in Paisley?

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, David Black said:

I remember going to Cathkin when Jim McFadzean scored a hat trick for us. They were a good club run into the ground by a crook. There is a documentary on BBC Scotland about Third Lanark that they show every now and again. I don't know how you would see it where you are. 

I saw that on Iplayer a few months ago after it was mentioned on a thread on here. I am too young to remember TL but I used to work in Glasgow and worked with some PT fans who grew up watching TL. 

Youtube has some docs and game footage of TL and I find it sad that a club can be run into the ground as they were. In my time I have seen the loss of Clydebank, Airdrie, Meadowbank Thistle and Gretna and on each occasion I was upset for the fans and the community. 

I wasnt a supporter of the Hands Off Hibs and I would be far from unhappy if clubs fold in the current climate due to their own self interest. 

St Midden need to be investigated to find out why they are showing so many positive results. If it isnt due to them as a club, the actions of the players away from training and playing need to be looked at. With pubs and restaurants being closed the risk should be lower but it doesnt seem to be the case. 

Has any other club had so many instances - I think this is their third of fourth time. 

20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

****ing hell. Do they all go around coughing on each other all day in Paisley?

Their ground is where you get sent for a test 🤔

Italian Lambretta
2 minutes ago, ericb said:

Their ground is where you get sent for a test 🤔

Thatll be handy pick up your daily supply of methadone and get a covid test while your there.

Guest ToqueJambo

At some point there's going to have to be questions raised about the private testing company the bright sparks at the SFA/SPFL chose for the league. The number of false positives seems way more than they should be having. In summer there were complaints over delays getting results as well.

St Mirren have to be forfeiting games now. It's getting beyond a joke with them.

Also, they play Hamilton this weekend so one of the games they'd fancy winning. 3 points to Hamilton!  🤣

ToadKiller Dog

Serious problem at the midden ,need to stop them playing for at least 2 weeks while they totaly isolate ,games during that period forfeit. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Going to be a point where St Mirren will have to accept playing 4 times in a week 

They're going to have to accept forfeits

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Gone said:

They're going to have to accept forfeits

Don't think it will pass a vote in truth. It will be youth team or ridiculous schedules 

4 minutes ago, Gone said:

How heartbreaking for St Mirren

How sad! 😂😂😂

Edited by Deevers

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Gone said:

How heartbreaking for St Mirren

Maybe we should offer them a swap:  We take their place in the premiership they take our place in the championship.

Could save a lot of waiting around for it to happen next April anyway...

Simply could not care less.  I have no axe to grind with their players and hope they all resume good health but as for the club?

Sooner they've gone the better.  

22 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Maybe we should offer them a swap:  We take their place in the premiership they take our place in the championship.

Could save a lot of waiting around for it to happen next April anyway...

Would absolutely love it (in Kevin keegan style ) if they get relegated and we go up! A club high up my most despised list 

4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Simply could not care less.  I have no axe to grind with their players and hope they all resume good health but as for the club?

Sooner they've gone the better.  

Correct on both points- hope players etc stay well... hope they get thrashed on the pitch for most of the season and the club gets relegated 👍

Just had a look at Cathkin Park on Google maps to locate it.

Much closer to Hampden than I ever imagined but the more notable thing for me was that the markings for a football pitch are still visible. Have some junior team been using it?

Carl Fredrickson
1 minute ago, Boof said:

Just had a look at Cathkin Park on Google maps to locate it.

Much closer to Hampden than I ever imagined but the more notable thing for me was that the markings for a football pitch are still visible. Have some junior team been using it?

There was a Third Lanark junior or amateur team that used it but I think more recently it has been teams from the Jimmy Johnston academy that have used it. They are located quite near by, I checked their locations on Google maps too. IIRC TL played at Hampden before moving to Cathkin Park. CP looks a huge area on the map.  

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to SPFL declare league (2019/20) due to Covid (Arbitration panel upholds SPFL decision )
21 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

I am sure parts of Cathkin park are still there.  A huge stadium next door to an even bigger stadium owned by an amatuer club...madness.  This mess has taken off the romance glasses I have blinded by the love of the game, and even the history of others.  The SFA passed a rule that all games must start with a new ball and that would be the responibility of the home side to provide it.  Thinrd Lanark were famous for when the game kicked off, they would kick the new ball out of play and immediatly throw on to the park an old ball.  and when that ball wore down they painted it white.

Looking back were they so skint they could not afford a ball, and why did nobody donate one, or sponsor one?  Or were the chairman so filled with greed they would not spend a penny on anything appart from themselves?  Still we all know who scored their last ever goal!

I too bemoan TL, and still do dispite the cloud surrounding them has cleared.  But this new lot can burn!!!!!

If they couldn't afford a ball, they had much bigger problems than a donated ball would fix!

This is Cathkin in 2015 btw

Cathkin-Park2.jpg

Raymond Reddington

SUN reporting SPFL board have asked the clubs again for more powers and talk of removing playoffs.

We have to hope these clubs dont give in again.

This is real danger for us if the SPFL board get anywhere near decision making if the league's are to be stopped.

Footballfirst

NHS Lothian is currently in something akin to Level 3.  The new framework however will be applied at local authority levels, i.e. City of Edinburgh.  I suspect that the capital will start at Level 2, although the current infection rates suggest that we have peaked. The initial placement will be announced next week, but will be reviewed on a weekly basis.

It suggests that fans will be allowed in some grounds in the lower risk areas in the near future.

Edited by Footballfirst

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

How the new tier framework will affect sports

4up6BfG.jpg

What level is Scotland currently at?

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

4up6BfG.jpg

That then is a direct opening to crowds being allowed back 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

What level is Scotland currently at?

Scotland should be divided up across levels 1-3, although some island areas might end up at level 0.  The announcement will be made next week for each local authority.

The Wrinkly Ninja
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

4up6BfG.jpg

I’ll be going to Tynecastle to worship then along with 49 others.

5 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Sturgeon using 0 to 4 as opposed to 1_5 so as not to upset our neighbours

Nicola Sturgeon just confirmed that - keeping consistent with England. 

Was initially wanting 3+ but changed it to 4. 

Jambof3tornado
4 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

I’ll be going to Tynecastle to worship then along with 49 others.

4 stands,different religion in each, thats 200 of us in!! Its a start, mazel tov!

Just now, martinb said:

So there  is NO level which allows everyone back at games?

Good point.

Jason Leitch has said he expects football to be limited numbers into next summer (Euro games at Hampden)

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, martinb said:

So there  is NO level which allows everyone back at games?

None of the levels equate to the pre-Covid "normal".  I think that NS said that we wouldn't return to a "normal" status without a vaccine.

In summary

0 - closest to normality without vaccine

1 - indoor meetings, prevalence low

2 - no indoor mixing, hospitality limits

3 - similar to current central belt restrictions

4 - close to full lockdown

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I suspect that the 7 day infections per 100k population number will play a part in determining which Level each local authority will be assigned.

A selection of these from the latest data (to 20 October) is as follows: (will probably be updated later today)

South Lanarkshire 362.2

North Lanarkshire 346.5

Glasgow 278.8

West Lothian 201

Dundee 159.4

Edinburgh 93.5

Midlothian 88.7

East Lothian 58.8

Aberdeen 57.7

Fife 56.5

• davemclaren changed the title to SPFL and Covid ( Leagues 1 and 2 to restart )