Wage cut for players and staff (Statement on 24/4)

Bunny Munro

52 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its not even that, its the fact fans are losing 20% of their comparatively meagre salaries or are self employed so aren't working and therefore earning. The players who earn far more than their ability should allow are refusing any compromise. They are actually delusional. Perhaps Ann should send the players refusing a cut down to the royal to explain to the workers there why they think they are entitled to a full wage in this crisis.   

They are so out of touch its embarrassing. They've let the club and fans down big time and are on large basic wages which means a deferment is only going to cause bigger issues down the road when we have a 7 figure bill coming due. A cut probably puts them on a par with most other SPFL players without a cut. 

Arseholes of the highest order. Shouldn't be seen in maroon again. 

Absolutely and what you say is key.

But similar to some folk that have been furloughed, they will be making some form of saving, if they can be bothered putting their minds to it.

And your average joe will still be struggling like hell.

Many of the first team guys are on salaries where they really shouldn't be spending everything they get.

Our average first team wage is 400% to 500% of the national average.

Edited by DETTY29

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• soonbe110

• Last Laff

Japan Jambo

This is exactly what happens when you play 'Football Manager' rather than build and nurture a team. When I read that Ann had decided to dial down bonuses and pay larger base salaries it explained so much of what was wrong with our approach - utter shambles.

9 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

How do you know this ?

It doesn't seem logical to me to negotiate a contract release when there is going to be a massive glut of players out of work soon.

Assuming that is what (some) players want where do they think they're going to find a club any time soon and on what kind of wages ?

Even if we want to sell , who is going to buy when there is no likelihood of a start date for next season. 

You also have to remember a lot of these guys are not the sharpest cards in the pack and won't thionk the way many of us will.

They will also be influenced by their money minded agents.

4 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Invoke article 12 on the shit players we want rid of.The ones we can get a fee for ,pay full wages and put up for sale thus exposing them all for the chancers they are.

There’s the problem - nobody is going to pay a fee for a bunch of free transfers sitting bottom of the table on inflated wages.  Hickey apart nobody is worth a bolt. 

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I can't imagine Souttar is one wanting to go given how we have stood by him, however if he is then not the type of person we want at club anyway.

Agree re: Souttar. The players I expect would be wanting away (total hunch based on thinking they could stay in the top league in Scotland/move to England with a decent salary despite a poor season):

Halkett,

Hickey (only to Gers or Celtic though in Scotland, EPL or EFL otherwise)

Damour (haha)

Uche

Clare (possibly to England rather than stay in Scotland)

Boyce (will be gutted, think he's got so much to offer)

Bozanic

White (just for a move back to England somwhere)

Doyle 

Washington (just a hunch he'll look for a quick move back to England)

All loan players/short term contracts - Sibbick, Meshino, Avdijaj, Langer, Pereira

That's quite a lot, but there's really not many there I would be too fussed about replacing, apart from Boyce. Even Halkett, there's plenty run of the mill defenders that will replace him. 

That leaves us with:

Zlamal, Naismith, Smith, Souttar, Dikamona when he returns, Garrucio, Haring, Walker and all the young Scottish boys. Bit bare! But hopefully we add to the squad if/when relegation is confirmed, whilst offering more opportunities to the younger lads.

weegiejambo8

I had previously asked why players had not just been furloughed, forgetting that this was only up to £2500 per month... so have edited my post

Edited by weegiejambo8

4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

There’s the problem - nobody is going to pay a fee for a bunch of free transfers sitting bottom of the table on inflated wages.  Hickey apart nobody is worth a bolt. 

Boyce,Smith,Soutar and washington. They may not be the players but these are the ones i was referring to

7 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

50k each time 16

That this situation has come to a 5pm deadline is an absolute disgrace.

The majority of people in the UK have lost out financially in some way. People will have lost their jobs, families lost long established businesses and there are people struggling more than ever to put food on the table.

The size of cut is dependant on the amount you earn. No player will be on the breadline as a result of this.

The players who are involved in this should be utterly ashamed of themselves.  Their actions have tarnished the club.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

husref musemic
2 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

Naismith is a millionaire. He could never work again and be financially secure. I'd imagine his reduced salary is still more than almost every player in our squad at full pay too.

an average of £137,000. there's no paupers here. 

7 minutes ago, Ruaraidh90 said:

Agree re: Souttar. The players I expect would be wanting away (total hunch based on thinking they could stay in the top league in Scotland/move to England with a decent salary despite a poor season):

Halkett,

Hickey (only to Gers or Celtic though in Scotland, EPL or EFL otherwise)

Damour (haha)

Uche

Clare (possibly to England rather than stay in Scotland)

Boyce (will be gutted, think he's got so much to offer)

Bozanic

White (just for a move back to England somwhere)

Doyle 

Washington (just a hunch he'll look for a quick move back to England)

All loan players/short term contracts - Sibbick, Meshino, Avdijaj, Langer, Pereira

That's quite a lot, but there's really not many there I would be too fussed about replacing, apart from Boyce. Even Halkett, there's plenty run of the mill defenders that will replace him. 

That leaves us with:

Zlamal, Naismith, Smith, Souttar, Dikamona when he returns, Garrucio, Haring, Walker and all the young Scottish boys. Bit bare! But hopefully we add to the squad if/when relegation is confirmed, whilst offering more opportunities to the younger lads.

Utterly pointless post and could lead to some players being given a hard time for no reason.

Probably best you keep your hunches to yourself.

babertonjambo
2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

That this situation has come to a 5pm deadline is an absolute disgrace.

The majority of people in the UK have lost out financially in some way. People will have lost their jobs, families lost long established businesses and there are people struggling more than ever to put food on the table.

The size of cut is dependant on the amount you earn. No player will be on the breadline as a result of this.

The players who are involved in this should be utterly ashamed of themselves.  Their actions have tarnished the club.

Correct and they should be named and shamed so the fans know exactly who they are!

6 minutes ago, weegiejambo8 said:

I had previously asked why players had not just been furloughed, forgetting that this was only up to £2500 per month... so have edited my post

They still have.

Its why the cuts are 10-30% and not 50%.

Some won't even get furloughed now. 

1 minute ago, babertonjambo said:

Correct and they should be named and shamed so the fans know exactly who they are!

If players wages are suspended or they agree termination, I'm guessing we will hear who it is pretty soon.

Lone Striker

While Daniel and Naisy showed immediate leadership in this crisis by volunteering to take a much bigger cut than is being asked, we seem to have lots (maybe not all) players making a ridiculous  stance - total disregard for the increasing risk that Hearts will not survive this.    Shame on them.   If  by some chance football is restarted behind closed doors to finish the season in June,   what chance is there of the current squad actually making a decent go at saving us from 12th place after revealing their "compassion and concern" for Hearts like this  ?    Absolutely none, IMO.       They were hopeless against our relegation rivals before all this.    Seems like a "perfect storm"  brewing.     

I wonder if Ann might  consider a final throw of the dice by offering all players their wage cuts back as a bonus if  they win at least 4 of the last 8 games ?   

weegiejambo8
2 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

They still have.

Its why the cuts are 10-30% and not 50%.

Some won't even get furloughed now. 

I see, thanks 

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Utterly pointless post and could lead to some players being given a hard time for no reason.

Probably best you keep your hunches to yourself.

Yeah

Ridiculous 

All is possibly not all it seems either. I am sympathetic to fact the Players Union has told everyone to refuse cuts. I do agree with the sentiment on here but once we cross 5pm and Hearts use Article 12 reality might hit some players.

I also hold the SPFL responsible. In my view they should have already accepted there will be no football this year. 

1 minute ago, babertonjambo said:

And a very important point here is the cut is until such time as football is up and running again and then they will return to their normal wage.

They are being asked to take a temporary cut to protect the future of the club, and all those the club employs, including their fellow players.

I will hold those involved in this situation in utter contempt.

26 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Invoke article 12 on the shit players we want rid of.The ones we can get a fee for ,pay full wages and put up for sale thus exposing them all for the chancers they are.

That covers most of them this season 

Every signing we make from now on their contracts should be heavily incentivised with win and appearance bonuses . 

If this means we miss out on some players so be it . 

A large part of why we are having to take this action is because the players are on such large basics an utter shambles tbh . 

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

And a very important point here is the cut is until such time as football is up and running again and then they will return to their normal wage.

They are being asked to take a temporary cut to protect the future of the club, and all those the club employs, including their fellow players.

I will hold those involved in this situation in utter contempt.

This is an initial interim solution.

Ann Budge previously said this would apply to April, May and June wages and then would be reviewed. 

Hearts season ticket sales will be clearer then too. 

annushorribilis III
23 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It's taken from the Daily Mail (not my choice of newspaper if you can call it that) but that's where I saw it online.

Hearts players will demand the right to free transfers this summer in return for taking wage cuts under duress.

Owner Ann Budge has warned that she will suspend player salaries unless they accept reductions of between 10 and 30 per cent. A deadline of 5pm on Monday has been set for agreement.

The Tynecastle chair insists cuts - and not the wage deferrals seen elsewhere - are the only way to preserve the Gorgie club's future in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. Facing relegation if the SPFL call the Premiership based on current standings the Edinburgh club face a £3million financial hit.

I went searching for a quote - there isn't one : The Hatemail have just fabricated a load of bollocks from an unnamed "source" that takes no account of the business model at Hearts. The Mail is simply being lazy , applying the general "if the players don't get paid , they can walk away" chat.  As I say, I don't see any logic in a player negotiating a free transfer in the current climate - utter madness,

21 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Boyce,Smith,Soutar and washington. They may not be the players but these are the ones i was referring to

Possibly Boyce, but not much.  The rest we got for nothing and would be worth very little in the market. 

2 hours ago, flecktimus said:
Leave for free? I suspect that many Hearts fans would be more than happy to give them that guarantee.
Quote Tweet

C4Qmc3DJ_normal.jpg

stephen.mcgowan

@mcgowan_stephen
· 1h
Hearts players will seek guarantees they can leave for free in return for taking wage cuts.

As much as I'd love it if they left for free I would not accept them  leaving for free if we still paid a wage cut.  We pay them we are due compensation whether it's for a youth player or a transfer of 25k I don't care.  I don't like all this player demands nonsense.

21 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

50k each time 16

Could be a plan, I can’t see many teams taking any players on full stop though. 

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

This is an initial interim solution.

Ann Budge previously said this would apply to April, May and June wages and then would be reviewed. 

Hearts season ticket sales will be clearer then too. 

I know the average football player is pretty thick, but their lack of understanding to the position the club faces is utterly astonishing.

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I know the average football player is pretty thick, but their lack of understanding to  the position the club faces is utterly astonishing.

Sums it all up nicely. 

Randy Marsh
8 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Every signing we make from now on their contracts should be heavily incentivised with win and appearance bonuses . 

A large part of why we are having to take this action is because the players are on such large basics an utter shambles tbh . 

Totally agree.  I could maybe understand players refusing to accept pay cuts if their wages were more bonus orientated.  But they are getting a very generous basic salary so it makes this situation look even worse.  

How could the ones who are being difficult look at any employee of the club in the face afterwards.A club is more than the players and the harmony needs to be right.

9 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

As much as I'd love it if they left for free I would not accept them  leaving for free if we still paid a wage cut.  We pay them we are due compensation whether it's for a youth player or a transfer of 25k I don't care.  I don't like all this player demands nonsense.

Most of our squad aren't worth a fee.

One thing players wanting a free transfer seem to overlook is that a lot of other leagues similar to Scotland will have similar financial pressures and taking on journeymen players won't happen until they have a definite season start date.

Also, the market will be flooded with players from clubs looking to cut costs and any club looking at their performances last year won't give them a second look.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

One thing players wanting a free transfer seem to overlook is that a lot of other leagues similar to Scotland will have similar financial pressures and taking on journeymen players won't happen until they have a definite season start date.

Also, the market will be flooded with players from clubs looking to cut costs and any club looking at their performances last year won't give them a second look.

So SPFA telling Hearts players to refuse offers but today have announced an initiative to support players who will need to find jobs outside of football. 

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Pretty much how I see things too.

A huge % of players are about to get a shock the next time they are looking for a contract.

Outside of genuine elite players, football and footballers wages are about to change.

Just now, DETTY29 said:

So SPFA telling Hearts players to refuse offers but today have announced an initiative to support players who will need to find jobs outside of football. 

The SPFA are cutting their own members throats.

One thing Ann Budge is not shy to do is make harsh business decisions, despite her mistakes over the manager.

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Four faces said:

Not sure if anyone would bid for Souttar with his injury problems, Smith is too old to pay a few for in this situation, Washington was going for free and came to us, nobody will put in a bid for him that would pay him more than we are. Stoke might take Smith and Washington if they were going for nothing, but there’s still no certainty when they will be playing again.

26 minutes ago, ramrod said:

That is really basic stuff for a football club to be getting so wrong.

Could this possibly explain why we always seem to have a large injury list?, spineless leeches have no incentive to get off their arse. 

At 17:01 tonight wee Budgie should arrange a Zoom conference call with all of the players refusing the cut, put all their contracts in a bin, have a massive dump on them and then set them alight.

Absolute fecking wankstains.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Exactly, Neville said there will be over a 1000 players available in League 1&2 from July, they are at the same level no matter what they might’ve been told.

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Let them leave. 

As you say there will be hundreds of players looking for new clubs due to the financial position clubs find themselves in. Any demand to leave for free could benefit us hugely in the long run, especially if we re-think our salary structure back to what most teams pay, I.e. a large percentage of wage being bonus related.

Just now, Le Chat said:

At 17:01 tonight wee Budgie should arrange a Zoom conference call with all of the players refusing the cut, put all their contracts in a bin, have a massive dump on them and then set them alight.

Absolute fecking wankstains.

If the club wanted to be clever, announcing everyone who HAS taken a cut would pretty much tell the fans everything they need to know and let the players who are being shitehouses take the flack they deserve when folk put 2 and 2 together. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

In a normal season yes but they’re saying that even the top clubs are unkikejy to be paying fees when the window opens. The players are only worth what teams are willing to pay, I can’t see anyone wanting to pay anything for anyone apart from Boyce and Hickey.

40 minutes ago, annushorribilis III said:

I went searching for a quote - there isn't one : The Hatemail have just fabricated a load of bollocks from an unnamed "source" that takes no account of the business model at Hearts. The Mail is simply being lazy , applying the general "if the players don't get paid , they can walk away" chat.  As I say, I don't see any logic in a player negotiating a free transfer in the current climate - utter madness,

Fine you believe what you want. Just putting something out there I read. I did qualify my comment about it not being my choice of newspaper.

We will soon see what players are still with us if and when a new season starts if ever.

Edited by wavydavy

So, here's Michael Smith's Instagram story from this morning.

First run in a month.  And our players are wanting full whack??

Incredible.

smiffy.jpg

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Those palyers who have so far refused to accept the deal on offer are now suggesting that in return for accepting they want to be able to leave at the end of the season on a free transfer.

Two of the players mentioend were Souttar and Halkett although the article did not suggest they were the players inolved it referred to them as the sort of assets that could leave!!!!

I think if truth be known we would not miss most of the players we currently have in our squad and we know that Naismith is not one of those disputing the deal and he is one of our best even though he has not hit the same form prior to his last injury.

My reading of the situation is that AB has said they can go for free now but only Dikamona has done so (even if he does intend to come back).  No one else has taken up that offer as they obviously don't want to go without a wage until...whenever.  A similar situation (no pay) arises with the suspenstion under Article 12.

However they are now asking for the promise of a free transfer if they accept the present offer of between 70%-90% of their current wage.  In other words, please pay me the slightly reduced wage in the interim period and if a better offer comes along for next season I'll be off but otherwise I shall stay.  I don't know if they think AB has MUG stamped on her forehead but in any case they are type of players we really don't want at our club.

Just now, Le Chat said:

Incredible.

smiffy.jpg

That's exactly the point AB was making saying they are happy yo tale full pay when doing nothing but the minute they are asked to take a pay cut it's a different story.

1 minute ago, Le Chat said:

Incredible.

smiffy.jpg

:D

Hope Ann can quote that when she's tell the players to get to **** later today.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

My reading of the situation is that AB has said they can go for free now but only Dikamona has done so (even if he does intend to come back).  No one else has taken up that offer as they obviously don't want to go without a wage until...whenever.  A similar situation (no pay) arises with the suspenstion under Article 12.

However they are now asking for the promise of a free transfer if they accept the present offer of between 70%-90% of their current wage.  In other words, please pay me the slightly reduced wage in the interim period and if a better offer comes along for next season I'll be off but otherwise I shall stay.  I don't know if they think AB has MUG stamped on her forehead but in any case they are type of players we really don't want at our club.

It just reeks of agents.