Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

45 minutes ago, credit card said:

Day 6 of being stuck in quarantine in Vietnam. Daily the worldwide situation worsens. By day 14 when we hope to get released, beside possible mental health issues about being locked in a room 24/7 who knows if we will even be able to get a flight home now as airlines are cutting routes and countries are closing borders. 

The British Embassy have been successful in getting those in our group with a British passport an early release. This has all been done hush hush through the back door after 3 knock backs. The trouble is my wife is Irish and because of that we are stuffed despite massive work by the Irish they are getting the rubber ear. So it's the full 14 days for us.

The ET bashers will not let us out despite, just like everyone in the group who are getting to go, we have tested negative.

It's all been a bit James Bond as we've passed info to The British and Irish Embassies and then telling them what each other is saying but the Vietnamese authorities are not budging.

#freethewheatfieldone

That's pretty grim mate... Hope everything works out 👍

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

credit card
8 minutes ago, Jambotommy said:

That's pretty grim mate... Hope everything works out 👍

Thanks mate. Appreciate that.

People coming out of quarantine abroad, should stay in quarantine, as they might get it again, by going home.

Trudeau's Mrs has it now.

Pleased to see the Hearts website contains a statement including advice to supporters and measures they are taking.

I'm feeling strongly that within a few days, all professional football will be cancelled.  That will definately be the case if the number of confirmed cases increases.

Geoff Kilpatrick
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

People coming out of quarantine abroad, should stay in quarantine, as they might get it again, by going home.

That depends if they have had the virus or not and how widely exposed they have been if they haven't had it.

22 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

That depends if they have had the virus or not and how widely exposed they have been if they haven't had it.

Catch 22, GK. I've had the flu for 3 weeks and now I'm fecked with a cough and lack of energy. These poor sods who have this will be terrified, especially going home and picking it up again.

Btw, is it not summer/Autumn in Australia? Why are they saying it'll be better when the summer comes, if Australia has just cancelled their GP.

Edited by ri Alban

IveSeenTheLight
6 hours ago, Five to One said:

Will peak within the next two weeks and could last up to 3 months if comparing data to China and Italy. 

that can’t be true.

italy does not appear to have peaked yet

F0A2AD46-3E52-4CCC-A771-55C4AE477CCF.thumb.jpeg.b047907154a7aae52d253a1054be12fe.jpeg

IveSeenTheLight
6 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

Yeah didn't have a 10,000 seater stadium so Aberdeen got saved, was absolutely shocking, but tbh I'll take being saved by coronavirus is that's what it takes, as long as we can clear out these impostors in the summer 

Thought we covered this last night.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Players Championsjip a Sawgrass called off after 1 round.

Matsuyama will be a bit pissed. What a round!

21 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Thought we covered this last night.

You've quoted his post that started off the discussion last night!

IveSeenTheLight
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

You've quoted his post that started off the discussion last night!

oops ;)

4 hours ago, credit card said:

Day 6 of being stuck in quarantine in Vietnam. Daily the worldwide situation worsens. By day 14 when we hope to get released, beside possible mental health issues about being locked in a room 24/7 who knows if we will even be able to get a flight home now as airlines are cutting routes and countries are closing borders. 

The British Embassy have been successful in getting those in our group with a British passport an early release. This has all been done hush hush through the back door after 3 knock backs. The trouble is my wife is Irish and because of that we are stuffed despite massive work by the Irish they are getting the rubber ear. So it's the full 14 days for us.

The ET bashers will not let us out despite, just like everyone in the group who are getting to go, we have tested negative.

It's all been a bit James Bond as we've passed info to The British and Irish Embassies and then telling them what each other is saying but the Vietnamese authorities are not budging.

#freethewheatfieldone

Hope you get home soon bud, and hope you're virus free.

If the season isn't finished, or matches are played behind closed doors I could see real financial trouble for some teams, particularly St Johnstone and Hamilton who have wafer thin margins. Particularly St Johnstone but I think there is a real danger both go into administration

4 hours ago, credit card said:

#freethewheatfieldone

All the best mate.

8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

You know, I have just gone into a time loop.

Jim Farry is back.

It's just a matter of time anyway before everything is off but Scottish football authorities might just want a fight against the Scottish Government to show how tough they are. 

My post was more about the legal power the first minister had as opposed to the uk government. 

It’s only a matter of days before a full squad have contracted the illness. Say for example Hibs were unable to field 11 players for their game next week - the SFA would simply have to say enough is enough and there is no way they could end it as it stands. Can you imagine the legal implications as a result of our lost revenue? 

If this were to happen we would simply have to cancel the league outright. I’m sure we would publicly thank our neighbours for the kind gesture and move on.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Catch 22, GK. I've had the flu for 3 weeks and now I'm fecked with a cough and lack of energy. These poor sods who have this will be terrified, especially going home and picking it up again.

Btw, is it not summer/Autumn in Australia? Why are they saying it'll be better when the summer comes, if Australia has just cancelled their GP.

Because the warmer weather slows the virus down.

The GP effectively was driven by the teams. It wasn't the government who drove the decision but now all wider gatherings are cancelled. The unsaid reason Australia kept the containment phase like this is because of the weather and taking that opportunity before the flu season kicks in in a couple of months time.

My work has proactively recommended working from home now as a business continuity measure, which is fine as all of our tech and resources are cloud based. The challenge is on managing people virtually.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

RustyRightPeg

If the league is going towards a suspension for a period of time and does not start back up, is there anything in the rulebooks that can say the table will finish as is, or more to the point is there anything that can stop them saying that as it wasn’t played to a finish so to speak...?

14 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Here's an excellent article showing why cancelling events and making that difficult decision is important. https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/3/10/21171481/coronavirus-us-cases-quarantine-cancellation?__twitter_impression=true  

Screenshot_20200313_073744_com.twitter.android.jpg

Compare that to Trump’s media releases. WTF is wrong with America, honestly. Where did all the people who voted for this guy go? Donald Trump... 🙄

The Treasurer

The Scottish authorities have said "business as usual" this weekend until Monday.

I'm sure it's pure coincidence that the arse-cheeks are playing on Sunday

Five to One
1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

that can’t be true.

italy does not appear to have peaked yet

F0A2AD46-3E52-4CCC-A771-55C4AE477CCF.thumb.jpeg.b047907154a7aae52d253a1054be12fe.jpeg

Only going by what I’m being told. 

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

The Scottish authorities have said "business as usual" this weekend until Monday.

Yep embarrassing actions by our government. 

Five to One
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

If the league is going towards a suspension for a period of time and does not start back up, is there anything in the rulebooks that can say the table will finish as is, or more to the point is there anything that can stop them saying that as it wasn’t played to a finish so to speak...?

I think Jamie Borthwick said yesterday that the null and void argument is the path of least resistance. If the league stands as is, it opens the SPFL up to potential legal challenges and appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. 

I think the SPFL will try and do everything possible to get the league and cup games completed, but they are facing a huge challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Five to One said:

I think Jamie Borthwick said yesterday that the null and void argument is the path of least resistance. If the league stands as is, it opens the SPFL up to potential legal challenges and appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. 

I think the SPFL will try and do everything possible to get the league and cup games completed, but they are facing a huge challenge. 

No way can league titles, promotions or relegations can be handed out if the season is declared over before completion. I can see an argument if those decisions are mathematically a fact, other than that no chance. 

maroonedinoz

Things have stepped up in Oz in just the last few hours.

Geoff won’t be at the Grand Prix in Melbourne.

a cabinet minister has been confirmed as having the virus, and attended a full cabinet meeting during the week....meaning that by their own policy all the remaining cabinet members should self isolate...which they won’t

A ban has been put on organised activities where more than 500 people will attend, from Monday, but won’t stop our PMfrom going to rugby league tonight...

Everything up a notch

i never bought any big rolls, but I have stocked up on beer.

I confess to still being unsure if the season will be abandoned in Scotland, with everything being wiped, or if they will deem it ‘over’ and current league positions will apply, and Coronavirus, far from saving us, sends us down.

5 hours ago, credit card said:

#freethewheatfieldone

This is what you dont read/hear in the news. Thanks for sharing and I hope you and your Mrs gets sorted soon.

As an aside, I think the media are creaming themselves over Covid-19. Beside themselves when they announce how many are infected or how many have been unfortunate to perish because of this virus.

How about changing the narrative slightly to let folk know how many have actually kicked Coronavirus's ass?

I heard around 60,000 Chinese have been released from hospital and allowed to go home after contracting and then beating the virus.

I also heard hat the last Coronavirus hospital in China is now closed as they now have a handle on it and less folk are now contracting it.

I had to dig for that good news story, wasn't in the ITN bulletin. Wonder why?

Games played behind closed doors sounds ok but high probability that individuals in clubs will be affected which will then result in postponements. 

4 minutes ago, maroonedinoz said:

Things have stepped up in Oz in just the last few hours.

Geoff won’t be at the Grand Prix in Melbourne.

a cabinet minister has been confirmed as having the virus, and attended a full cabinet meeting during the week....meaning that by their own policy all the remaining cabinet members should self isolate...which they won’t

A ban has been put on organised activities where more than 500 people will attend, from Monday, but won’t stop our PMfrom going to rugby league tonight...

Everything up a notch

i never bought any big rolls, but I have stocked up on beer.

I confess to still being unsure if the season will be abandoned in Scotland, with everything being wiped, or if they will deem it ‘over’ and current league positions will apply, and Coronavirus, far from saving us, sends us down.

may05_020.jpg

Saint Jambo
24 minutes ago, Five to One said:

Either null and void or taking this as the final position are likely to end in legal action. Given where we are in the season, it seems most sensible to me to postpone competitions and restart them whenever it is possible. If necessary, changes could be agreed to 2020-21 competitions to shorten that season to fit in the end of this season. For example reducing the number of games played in leagues, cancelling cup competitions for a season, or making European competitions straight knock out rather than group based. Fairer to agree changes to a season that hasn't yet started than make arbitrary changes to this season. That way all clubs know the situation before competitions start.

To take Scotland as an example, you could drop the 2020-21 League Cup and Challenge Cup easily enough. In the Premier League you could have two rounds of fixtures pre-split and two rounds post-split, reducing the season from 38 to 32 games.

The biggest challenge would be following completion of the current season, you probably would still need a break of maybe a month between the two 'seasons' to allow teams to buy/sell players allowing those promoted/ relegated to adjust.

I see UEFA are already considering postponing the Euros by a year. Which potentially allows for this season to be finished in say June/ July/ August before a break in September then a truncated 2020-21 season. Obviously this would depend on when it is possible to restart the current season, but you would adjust the number of games that season to fit.

Edited by Saint Jambo

Five to One
4 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Either null and void or taking this as the final position are likely to end in legal action. Given where we are in the season, it seems most sensible to me to postpone competitions and restart them whenever it is possible. If necessary, changes could be agreed to 2020-21 competitions to shorten that season to fit in the end of this season. For example reducing the number of games played, cancelling cup competitions for a season, or making European competitions straight knock out rather than group based. Fairer to agree changes to a season that hasn't yet started than make arbitrary changes to this season. That way all clubs know the situation before competitions start.

To take Scotland as an example, you could drop the 2020-21 League Cup and Challenge Cup easily enough. In the Premier League you could have two rounds of fixtures pre-split and two rounds post-split, reducing the season from 38 to 32 games. If that 

The biggest challenge would be following completion of the current season, you probably would still need a break of maybe a month between the two 'seasons' to allow teams to buy/sell players allowing those promoted/ relegated to adjust.

I see UEFA are already considering postponing the Euros by a year. Which potentially allows for this season to be finished in say June/ July/ August before a break in September then a truncated 2020-21 season. Obviously this would depend on when it is possible to restart the current season, but you would adjust the number of games that season to fit.

I was more pointing out that if you respect the standings as they are, legal action would have more grounding than the opposite argument. 

Bazzas right boot
52 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Because the warmer weather slows the virus down.

The GP effectively was driven by the teams. It wasn't the government who drove the decision but now all wider gatherings are cancelled. The unsaid reason Australia kept the containment phase like this is because of the weather and taking that opportunity before the flu season kicks in in a couple of months time.

My work has proactively recommended working from home now as a business continuity measure, which is fine as all of our tech and resources are cloud based. The challenge is on managing people virtually.

You should have no bother managing folk virtually. 

You come across here as a well rounded, balanced and positive individual who in no way gets involved in petty arguments. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You should have no bother managing folk virtually. 

You come across here as a well rounded, balanced and positive individual who in no way gets involved in petty arguments. 

😄

alicante jambo
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Exactly what i was thinking. Lets get the old scum out the way.

18 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Either null and void or taking this as the final position are likely to end in legal action. Given where we are in the season, it seems most sensible to me to postpone competitions and restart them whenever it is possible. If necessary, changes could be agreed to 2020-21 competitions to shorten that season to fit in the end of this season. For example reducing the number of games played in leagues, cancelling cup competitions for a season, or making European competitions straight knock out rather than group based. Fairer to agree changes to a season that hasn't yet started than make arbitrary changes to this season. That way all clubs know the situation before competitions start.

To take Scotland as an example, you could drop the 2020-21 League Cup and Challenge Cup easily enough. In the Premier League you could have two rounds of fixtures pre-split and two rounds post-split, reducing the season from 38 to 32 games.

Agree with this.  If the decision to postpone the Euros for a year is approved then that allows the early summer window to complete the domestic season.  Of course that depends on the virus peak having come and gone (it looks like it has peaked in China so signs are 2-3 months would cover it).   

2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Agree with this.  If the decision to postpone the Euros for a year is approved then that allows the early summer window to complete the domestic season.  Of course that depends on the virus peak having come and gone (it looks like it has peaked in China so signs are 2-3 months would cover it).   

They could complete this season at what would’ve been the start of next season and cancel the league cup, extend next season, if the euros go ahead. 

25 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

The biggest challenge to your idea is players contracts and the summer transfer window. Virtually impossible to go beyond end June, maybe May for some players. 

Saint Jambo
17 minutes ago, Five to One said:

I was more pointing out that if you respect the standings as they are, legal action would have more grounding than the opposite argument. 

I think you are probably right, but only in matters of degree. I think that legal cases based on declaring this season null and void would have pretty good chance of success as well. By declaring the results null and void, the governing bodies would effectively be saying they are going to replay the whole season to date. We would be resetting to the start of 2019-20 season with who is in which league and who qualified for Europe based again on the final standings of 2018-19.

RustyRightPeg
56 minutes ago, Five to One said:

Interesting. 

I have a sneaky gut feeling we might get away with one if the season is cancelled. 

Saint Jambo
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The biggest challenge to your idea is players contracts and the summer transfer window. Virtually impossible to go beyond end June, maybe May for some players. 

Agreed. Every scenario clearly has challenges. One partial solution to that challenge would be not to open the transfer window until this season is complete. That way the option for clubs is to extend their deals by a couple of months or go unpaid. You could force clubs to extend contracts to the end of the extended current season as well to avoid screwing over players who have fallen out of first team plans where the club might be happy to just let them go.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, Five to One said:

Only going by what I’m being told. 

]

We'll hopefully you can assess with your own mind from the graph I've shown ;)

Five to One
8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think you are probably right, but only in matters of degree. I think that legal cases based on declaring this season null and void would have pretty good chance of success as well. By declaring the results null and void, the governing bodies would effectively be saying they are going to replay the whole season to date. We would be resetting to the start of 2019-20 season with who is in which league and who qualified for Europe based again on the final standings of 2018-19.

It’s about precedent. Is there one for teams being crowned champions (or relegated) without completion of the full allocation of games? I’m not a Scottish football historian so I don’t know. 

Or is the argument this is unchartered waters so new rules have to come into effect? 

I believe the SPFL will be very wary of setting new precedents without completion of games. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Saint Jambo said:

Agreed. Every scenario clearly has challenges. One partial solution to that challenge would be not to open the transfer window until this season is complete. That way the option for clubs is to extend their deals by a couple of months or go unpaid. You could force clubs to extend contracts to the end of the extended current season as well to avoid screwing over players who have fallen out of first team plans where the club might be happy to just let them go.

Can't see that being coordinated throughout the whole of Europe

Five to One
1 minute ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

]

We'll hopefully you can assess with your own mind from the graph I've shown ;)

No idea what your source is. I’m going by NHS Lothian who I would hope have correct information to hand. 

56 minutes ago, Dazo said:

No way can league titles, promotions or relegations can be handed out if the season is declared over before completion. I can see an argument if those decisions are mathematically a fact, other than that no chance. 

This 100%.

We're only having this discussion because the league has 8 games left on the calendar. If this was 8 weeks into the season it would be laughable to suggest the team sitting top would be crowned champions or the team bottom relegated. No difference to this situation in which nothing yet has been mathematically decided.

Of course, if we can somehow manage to see out the remaining fixtures, be it behind closed doors or whatever, I'd prefer that. An if we're relegated, then so be it. But to end it now as it stands is pure madness 😄

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

They are saying they want people to get it. 

1 hour ago, Five to One said:

Its difficult.

But finishing the league should be possible by September at the latest and probably earlier. 

You have opportunities to cancel some Cup games, stop the winter break etc ro catch. Transfer windows and contracts can be extended. Euro 2020 being postponed offers opportunities. 

Difficult but possible. 

Edited by Mikey1874

51 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Not that hard. 

Giving players a break now would help.