Scottish Football officially suspended

Alva-Jambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, Jeff said:

Our figures are above many countries in Europe who are in the process of locking down. We are accepting flights from locked down areas. I don't need credentials to know something isn't right

The UK is acting in the same fashion as many countries. Here, almost 90% of cases that have been identified have involved people who travelled recently from overseas. However, there is no decision yet to ban travel to and from Australia and nor should there be.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• IveSeenTheLight

• ...a bit disco

• Mikey1874

I fecking hope not. Hopefully they’ll just relegate us and put us out our misery. We can then get on with emptying the shower of shit we call a squad and start rebuilding 

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Has international travel been banned to the UK? No. So why shouldn't Leverkusen or Atletico fans travel?

Oh for goodness sake Geoff. We all know international travel to the UK hasn’t been banned

In that case, the fans have every right to travel

My beef is with our authorities who could have banned flights.

Leverkusen can’t host the return game on their own patch unless it’s behind closed doors but we can allow thousands to come here.

We’ve @@@@ed up with this big style. All IMO of course.

The fact that Boris is now scrambling around with talk of school closures etc and sporting events being cancelled, only a few days after is being told that such actions were not required shows you what a cluster @@@@ this is

Dagger Is Back
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

There is one country in lockdown in Europe. One.

Here, travel is only banned to Korea, Iran, China and now Italy. Demand for air travel has already fallen significantly in any case.

Denmark just closed schools and universities. Only essential public sector employees being expected to report to work 

Can’t see it being reported here but my Danish buddy messaged me about 2 hours ago

Edited by Dagger Is Back

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

Closed doors for us will be a blessing. We can get relegated in peace now

Covid-19 is about the only thing that can save us from the drop now. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
12 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Oh for goodness sake Geoff. We all know international travel to the UK hasn’t been banned

In that case, the fans have every right to travel

My beef is with our authorities who could have banned flights.

Leverkusen can’t host the return game on their own patch unless it’s behind closed doors but we can allow thousands to come here.

We’ve @@@@ed up with this big style. All IMO of course.

The fact that Boris is now scrambling around with talk of school closures etc and sporting events being cancelled, only a few days after is being told that such actions were not required shows you what a cluster @@@@ this is

It's hardly a clusterfeck. The UK is in line with most countries. Now, in forthcoming days crowds might be stopped from congregating but everything has a risk profile. I'm off to the Grand Prix here on Sunday. Will it increase my chances of catching it? No more than commuting on the train each day. That is the current reality.

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Denmark just closed schools and universities. Only essential public sector employees being expected to report to work 

Can’t see it being reported here but my Danish buddy messaged me about 2 hours ago

That isn't lockdown. Are there travel restrictions?

Dagger Is Back
7 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's hardly a clusterfeck. The UK is in line with most countries. Now, in forthcoming days crowds might be stopped from congregating but everything has a risk profile. I'm off to the Grand Prix here on Sunday. Will it increase my chances of catching it? No more than commuting on the train each day. That is the current reality.

Well we’ll need to agree to disagree. IMO it’s a CF. WHO have said they’re disappointed with the response of some countries.

This all smacks of a lack of working together with countries doing their own thing and in some cases not very effectively.

Shutting the stable food IMO. I might not have the medical qualifications that others do but that should never stop challenging and questioning, especially when it comes to the Government. 

Why have other countries banned large gatherings and sporting events? Why have gigs been cancelled?

Enjoy the GP if its on Geoff and stay safe. 

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

That isn't lockdown. Are there travel restrictions?

Depends on your definition of lockdown I guess Geoff. It’s not reached the same stage as Italy for sure and as far as I know, travel restrictions haven’t yet been introduced.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/03/11/denmark-second-european-country-impose-lockdown-coronavirus-12384677/amp/

IveSeenTheLight
27 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Maybe not.

The Australian Grand Prix is under threat with 3 members of teams having testEd positive.

The Chinese race was already postponed (even though they are reporting that they are on top of the disease their.

The Bahrain Grand Prix is to go ahead without supporters.

You may find by Sunday, that the circumstances have changed for the Australian Grand Prix

Geoff Kilpatrick
15 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Depends on your definition of lockdown I guess Geoff. It’s not reached the same stage as Italy for sure and as far as I know, travel restrictions haven’t yet been introduced.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/03/11/denmark-second-european-country-impose-lockdown-coronavirus-12384677/amp/

For context, my wife works in healthcare as a nurse manager and has had umpteen briefings from the infectious disease people at her work. Her biggest concern is school closure causing staff issues, not sickness, because childcare becomes a nightmare. Indeed, the unsaid news here is that we actually need this to spread amongst the population, albeit at a rate slow enough not to overwhelm health services, because it is our own bodies that will eliminate it.

100,000 people dying from this across the planet sounds horrific but with the world heading to 8 billion, it is actually not that significant.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Maybe not.

The Australian Grand Prix is under threat with 3 members of teams having testEd positive.

The Chinese race was already postponed (even though they are reporting that they are on top of the disease their.

The Bahrain Grand Prix is to go ahead without supporters.

You may find by Sunday, that the circumstances have changed for the Australian Grand Prix

The 3 mechanics are self-isolating. There is no threat to the race.

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The 3 mechanics are self-isolating. There is no threat to the race.

Don’t be naive, there’s more at risk than just the mechanics.

who are the main tyre suppliers and where is their headquarters based?

Pirelli, Milan.

where are Ferrari and Alpha Tauri based? Also Northern Italy

Australia has stopped flights from Italy, plus there logistics of alternative flights having to come through Singapore / the Middle East.

WHO have just rebranded COVID-19 as a pandemic, so its extremely naive to think there is no threat to the race.

Geoff Kilpatrick
17 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Don’t be naive, there’s more at risk than just the mechanics.

who are the main tyre suppliers and where is their headquarters based?

Pirelli, Milan.

where are Ferrari and Alpha Tauri based? Also Northern Italy

Australia has stopped flights from Italy, plus there logistics of alternative flights having to come through Singapore / the Middle East.

WHO have just rebranded COVID-19 as a pandemic, so its extremely naive to think there is no threat to the race.

The race is on. You can wet your pants all you like but I'll have my deckchairs on the golf course at Turn 11 as usual.

PS The teams and equipment arrived last week. The drivers are the last to arrive and unless Monaco goes into lockdown, they are fine.

Where Ferrari travel on to after Melbourne is more interesting.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Can they keep our players out of the stadium, too?

No. They’d class that as an unfair sporting advantage. 
We’d have a better chance of winning. 

The NBA has just suspended all games until further notice.

This is an enormous decision which has far greater ramifications than anything the SFA could decide.

1 hour ago, JJ93 said:

https://apple.news/AMbejPLJ6Tvi3nPfRhjWtTQ

NBA suspends league due to virus. Could same happen in football especially due to lost revenue?

Another question: years ago the team that finished bottom in the league didn’t get relegated. Why?

Aberdeen should have been relegated years ago but Falkirk did not have a 10,000 seat stadium so they scrapped relegation that season.

Bad that it has come to us hoping the coronavirus saves us from the drop

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

Can they keep our players out of the stadium, too?

😂😂😂😂😂

Would one of our players take one for the team and catch the bloody thing?  Probably all it would take to cancel the whole season.

IveSeenTheLight
5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The race is on. You can wet your pants all you like but I'll have my deckchairs on the golf course at Turn 11 as usual.

PS The teams and equipment arrived last week. The drivers are the last to arrive and unless Monaco goes into lockdown, they are fine.

Where Ferrari travel on to after Melbourne is more interesting.

lol, nobodies wetting their pants.

I only mentioned that the event may be affected and things could change there by Sunday.

I also see that the opposition party has called for 

Coronavirus Australia: Labor calls for mass events to be cancelled and schools closed

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

For context, my wife works in healthcare as a nurse manager and has had umpteen briefings from the infectious disease people at her work. Her biggest concern is school closure causing staff issues, not sickness, because childcare becomes a nightmare. Indeed, the unsaid news here is that we actually need this to spread amongst the population, albeit at a rate slow enough not to overwhelm health services, because it is our own bodies that will eliminate it.

100,000 people dying from this across the planet sounds horrific but with the world heading to 8 billion, it is actually not that significant.

I hear what you say Geoff and I can see the sense in things like concerns around staffing on the front line and immune systems.

My problem as I’ve said all along, is that action hasn’t been taken quickly enough IMO.

The US have taken that massive step overnight but you’d have to wonder why we haven’t yet, and why they hadn’t done earlier.

We should all be together on this, although I appreciate the challenges that brings. WHO must be pulling their hair out when they see the inconsistencies across the globe

Going back to the pint of the thread though, if we’ve as  much chance of catching it on trains etc as attending say the GP, why are countries around the globe  banning sporting events right, left and centre?

Our own CMO said no advantage in canning these types of gatherings but a few days later, here we are. We’ve watched while the rest of the world has

Some of our decisions and those of others  are quite frankly, in my unlearned mind, bizarre

Dagger Is Back
13 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I only mentioned that the event may be affected and things could change there by Sunday.

Typical bloody lefties. Putting people’s well being first. How dare they?

😉

Geoff Kilpatrick
15 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The UK appears to be taking it far less seriously than most nations. 

The UK has the advantage of being on two islands with only one land border so points of entry are known and generally controlled. The open borders in mainland Europe don't help right now.

Geoff Kilpatrick
35 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Has Albo done that? Haven't seen the news yet. I think it is precautionary like most things but as containment moves to delay things change anyway.

Had a pop up that Italian news reports saying EPL moving towards closed door games very soon.

NBA game postponed at short notice as a player reported to be positive.

Edit - have I just heard NBA has shut down?

Edited by DETTY29

John Gentleman
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Would one of our players take one for the team and catch the bloody thing?  Probably all it would take to cancel the whole season.

Don't be silly Doug. None of them are brave enough.

29 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Had a pop up that Italian news reports saying EPL moving towards closed door games very soon.

NBA game postponed at short notice as a player reported to be positive.

Edit - have I just heard NBA has shut down?

Suspended until further notice.

That’s us moving in to the delay phase, meaning that major sporting events will be cancelled. Surely football is played for the fans and if there aren’t any there then the season should be binned... I know I’m clutching at straws a bit here, but what’s actually the point in seeing this season out?

EPL may play their remaining games behind closed doors but can’t see SPFL doing that. The loss of revenue even at this late stage in the season will be devastating for most clubs and without someone coming to the rescue financially their option option to mitigate will be to drastically reduce costs. That means no training, no matchday expenses, staff taking unpaid leave or holidays, etc. 

In the prem they can’t surely finish it however many games early and then relegate is for being 4 points adrift? 

this is prime time to expand the league. 

Stendelsarmy
33 minutes ago, R08813 said:

That’s us moving in to the delay phase, meaning that major sporting events will be cancelled. Surely football is played for the fans and if there aren’t any there then the season should be binned... I know I’m clutching at straws a bit here, but what’s actually the point in seeing this season out?

Would be surprised if it isn't cancelled. The question then is what happens. How can you relegate a team when there should still be a chunk of games to play. Where's the sporting integrity in that?

The Internet

Hard to care about the result last night when the season will end up being null and void. No idea how they're going to make this work. 

Stendelsarmy
1 minute ago, JJ93 said:

In the prem they can’t surely finish it however many games early and then relegate is for being 4 points adrift? 

this is prime time to expand the league. 

Agree with your first para. But how does expanding the league help, what about the teams in the Championship who miss out on promotion to the new Premier league

ScandinavianJambo

It will not be the SPFLs decision when to stop, that's  down to the government. SPFL will decide if it is  played behind closed doors with streaming possibility or if they cancell the season. As much as I want to cancell this season (and suppress it from my memory altogether) is only going to happen of large swats of players get sick...I love Hearts  but not so much that I wish  the pandemic to get worse....

I don't think we should go down or stay up due to the coronavirus. Very interested to see what a governing body that struggle to perform the most straightforward of tasks does in a really difficult situation. 

Dagger Is Back
2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The UK has the advantage of being on two islands with only one land border so points of entry are known and generally controlled. The open borders in mainland Europe don't help right now.

We’re an island you’re right. Points of entry, generally controlled?

No they’re not really. We’ve had flights landing from Northern Italy right up until recently. The football we’ve already discussed. 

Social media pictures of people arriving and no additional checks.

Not getting at you Geoff just genuinely fascinated by the approaches being taken across the world and what appears to be conflicting advice/action

Horatio Caine
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

No they’re not really. We’ve had flights landing from Northern Italy right up until recently. The football we’ve already discussed. 

Not getting at you Geoff just genuinely fascinated by the approaches being taken across the world and what appears to be conflicting advice/action

Yeah there's a thousand or so fans from Germany's worst affected area arriving in the Weeg tonight for the match.  And Spaniards at Anfield last night.  Everybody's welcome!

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yes and they came through passport control and designated points of entry. Unlike Schengen where you can basically drive across Europe.

I've been listening right now to a virologist from Cambridge on Radio Ulster. He is incredulous at Trump's ban because it is utterly pointless. As he just said, travel bans simply consume health resources RIGHT NOW which should be used for testing and contact tracing those with the greatest exposure to risk.

PS He also said that Denmark's effortd were more about political posturing.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick