The rise and fall of The SNP.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Why should we get the government England's electorate votes for?

Why should we not have a government that has Scotland as it's priority?

What you are describing is what happens everywhere in the world; some parts of the country will vote one way while another will not, often based on how those parts of the country function and the type of government that the people living there think will best serve them. Where do you draw the line on this? Historically the the industrial west of Scotland has voted differently from Edinburgh. The Conservatives and Liberals have been strong in rural areas. If there was independence depending on which party is in power there will be parts of Scotland that will say that they will have a government that does not have where they live as a priority. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

18 minutes ago, henryheart said:

What you are describing is what happens everywhere in the world; some parts of the country will vote one way while another will not, often based on how those parts of the country function and the type of government that the people living there think will best serve them. Where do you draw the line on this? Historically the the industrial west of Scotland has voted differently from Edinburgh. The Conservatives and Liberals have been strong in rural areas. If there was independence depending on which party is in power there will be parts of Scotland that will say that they will have a government that does not have where they live as a priority. 

You draw the line at countries.

The west of Scotland isn't a country, Scotland is.

10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You draw the line at countries.

The west of Scotland isn't a country, Scotland is.

What is a country? And why does it bother you that much? Personally,  other than international football and rugby, being "Scottish" means the square root of feck all to me. 

Governor Tarkin
21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What is a country? And why does it bother you that much? Personally,  other than international football and rugby, being "Scottish" means the square root of feck all to me. 

:spoton: :greatpost:

34 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Absolutely .Can’t quite understand why anyone professes to be a proud Scot, Englishman, Irishman or anything else. Just thankful I wasn’t brought up in somewhere like poverty ridden Africa or war torn Syria.  Count myself fortunate for the life I have and where I live. The luck of the draw and never agreed with the “wha,s like us nonsense

42 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The electorate of another country votes in our government.

That government isn't voted in to put Scotland first, and it doesn't, never will.

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Look to Westminster for the alternative to the SNP. You'd have to be a complete fool or a narrow minded unionist to believe that the tories are a fairer, more functional and competent government.

I doubt you'll find many who'd argue to the contrary.

Governor Tarkin
22 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Absolutely .Can’t quite understand why anyone professes to be a proud Scot, Englishman, Irishman or anything else. Just thankful I wasn’t brought up in somewhere like poverty ridden Africa or war torn Syria.  Count myself fortunate for the life I have and where I live. The luck of the draw and never agreed with the “wha,s like us nonsense

:spoton: :greatpost:

28 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Likely be the same people that'll criticize the SNP for putting up Gaelic road signs at no additional cost to the taxpayer, whilst ignoring the 37billion for a failed Tory test and trace system.

37bn??😂

For the umpteenth time, the "Tory test and trace" system has feck all to do with Scottish taxpayers.

We had enough to worry about with our own Tartan Track and Test shambles that cost us millions.

57 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The electorate of another country votes in our government.

That government isn't voted in to put Scotland first, and it doesn't, never will.

No they don't.  Each constituency votes for an MP to represent them on UK wide reserved imatters. Why should the UK be putting Scotland first?? 8.2% of the population.

As it happens, less than 50% of the Scottish electorate voted SNP but they ended up with 90% of the seats.

Maybe there is a case of "we didn't get who we voted for" there.

In case you hadn't noticed, Scotland DOES have it's own govt with all the major powers at it's disposal.

3 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

We need more Lorna Slater types reading off scripts in the Shortbread. 

We might as well have Kat Slater to be honest. Better looking, for sure, and doesn't come with that faux-Canadian accent

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Why should the UK be putting Scotland first?? 8.2% of the population.

Exactly, it's unreasonable to expect, so the only way Scotland can get a government that represents it's people is via independence.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Exactly, it's unreasonable to expect, so the only way Scotland can get a government that represents it's people is via independence.

Nonsense.  The UK votes on reserved issues that affect the country as a whole e.g. defence.

The Scot Gov are happy to be covered by the NATO protective umbrella so that involves costs.

As it happens, spending costs on defence, allocated to Scotland,  account for a fraction of our total budget...approx £3.5bn a year.

So when you hear Nationalists whining about spending "billions on Trident and wars", it's important to point out that's a lie. We haven’t, we don't and we won't. 

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Nonsense.  The UK votes on reserved issues that affect the country as a whole e.g. defence.

The Scot Gov are happy to be covered by the NATO protective umbrella so that involves costs.

As it happens, spending costs on defence, allocated to Scotland,  account for a fraction of our total budget...approx £3.5bn a year.

So when you hear Nationalists whining about spending "billions on Trident and wars", it's important to point out that's a lie. We haven’t, we don't and we won't. 

You do a lot of fighting points I haven't made in replies to me.

We should run our own affairs, it shouldn't be up to another country's electorate to decide the national government, it's self evident.

I don't expect you to agree, you're right up the tory hole, but we should have the right to govern ourselves as an independent nation.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

You do a lot of fighting points I haven't made in replies to me.

We should run our own affairs, it shouldn't be up to another country's electorate to decide the national government, it's self evident.

I don't expect you to agree, you're right up the tory hole, but we should have the right to govern ourselves as an independent nation.

So you keep saying but I'm making you aware that Scotland HAS it's own coalition Govt, armed with all the important powers to make Scotland a better place. The Govt was voted in by Scots,not by the "bad, nasty" English.

What do you mean "independent". From whom? Brussels? rUK?

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So you keep saying but I'm making you aware that Scotland HAS it's own coalition Govt, armed with all the important powers to make Scotland a better place. The Govt was voted in by Scots,not by the "bad, nasty" English.

Who are you quoting when you say "bad, nasty"? Certainly not me.

Westminster is the government, you know they've got the power because they get to decide if we're allowed a say in the matter.

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Funny how it's always the foaming at the mouth unionists that go on about hating the English. No way you believe even a quarter of the shite you post on here. If you do, I pity you. 

Just now, Smithee said:

Who are you quoting when you say "bad, nasty"? Certainly not me.

Westminster is the government, you know they've got the power because they get to decide if we're allowed a say in the matter.

I'm using inverted commas because they're not my words. Not quoting you because you didn’t use those words. It's the implication that always lies behind references to English people.

We've got exactly the same per capita share of seats at WM as England.

You know, there are some reserved matters that are bigger and more important  than just "Scotland". 

You can't have 8.2% of the population making decisions that may affect 60m. Defence being a prime example.

Framing everything around what Scotland wants and needs, just comes across as being incredibly insular and inward looking in a global, interdependent world.

5 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Funny how it's always the foaming at the mouth unionists that go on about hating the English. No way you believe even a quarter of the shite you post on here. If you do, I pity you. 

Oh, must be kicking out time at the Turkish brothels 

Konrad von Carstein
49 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We might as well have Kat Slater to be honest. Better looking, for sure, and doesn't come with that faux-Canadian accent

It's not faux you bampot,  she's Canadian. 😬🙄

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm using inverted commas because they're not my words. Not quoting you because you didn’t use those words. It's the implication that always lies behind references to English people.

We've got exactly the same per capita share of seats at WM as England.

You know, there are some reserved matters that are bigger and more important  than just "Scotland". 

You can't have 8.2% of the population making decisions that may affect 60m. Defence being a prime example.

Framing everything around what Scotland wants and needs, just comes across as being incredibly insular and inward looking in a global, interdependent world.

I don't care how you think it comes across, it isn't controversial to want a representative government.

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't care how you think it comes across, it isn't controversial to want a representative government.

Going by this thread and the fact that more than half the country disagrees with you, I'd say that makes it controversial.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I doubt you'll find many who'd argue to the contrary.

No but being better than the current Westminster government is hardly a ringing endorsement. 

3 hours ago, henryheart said:

How many Labour governments would the UK have had without the Scottish vote?

I think the answer is one.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes the world should be moving to no

borders really . That’s what was disappointing about the Brexit vote for me . 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Lol 😂 at least Kat slater , although heavy on the foundation has a good pair of “ knockers “ On her ( my dad used to use that word when watching a good looking woman on tv , I cringed even then ) 😂 Lorna Slater just has her knockers 

42 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Oh, must be kicking out time at the Turkish brothels 

Savage ! 

D6BC217E-28D3-4772-A850-88AF196F53CF.gif

54 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

But that's the alternative, so it's completely valid for comparison.

It shouldn't be the only alternative though. 

Neither fills me with optimism.

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Coming from the staunchest Brit-nat known in Christendom, that's so rich it would give you heartburn. 🤣 

Scotland want out of the UK to rejoin the EU, which is an expansive, outward looking aim.

England or rUK wanted so badly to get rid of Johnny foreigner they cut their noses off with an absolutely staggering own goal of a Brexit and will now have to eat them for Christmas dinner.
By candlelight. Whilst using the Julian calendar and imperial measurements to decide when they can go and fetch their next cubit of petrol. 🤪

Edited by Gizmo

30 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Coming from the staunchest Brit-nat known in Christendom, that's so rich it would give you heartburn. 🤣 

Scotland want out of the UK to rejoin the EU, which is an expansive, outward looking aim.

England or rUK wanted so badly to get rid of Johnny foreigner they cut their noses off with an absolutely staggering own goal of a Brexit and will now have to eat them for Christmas dinner.
By candlelight. Whilst using the Julian calendar and imperial measurements to decide when they can go and fetch their next cubit of petrol. 🤪

Snigger.

The Mighty Thor

There's some breathtaking lack of understanding of UK fiscal policy, tax raising and spending, Barnet formula & consequentials, GERS and just about every other thing the last 3 pages or so has thrown up.

A 5 year old or indeed a ****ing moron with access to an Internet search engine would realise this. 

It appears repeating the same bollocks 'for the umpteenth time' somehow makes it more credible. 

Sturgeon and the SNP have absolutely destroyed some posters on here. 

46 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Seriously? ffs😂. Sounds like a Daily Mirror editorial.

So, we'll run out of fuel, food and power??. Ohh kaay. Right then. Thanks for the heads up. 🤣

I don't really think we need lectures from Scot Nats about being open, progressive and outward looking.  Have a look at the map and tell me how breaking away from the UK, our main trading partner by a country mile, and erecting a border on the island we share, is outward looking or open in any way. 

Coming from a govt who have continually whinged, griped and refused ro make devolution work, it beggars belief. 

The tartan pot telling the UK kettle, the leaders of the Commonwealth, with the most respected Head of State anywhere in the world for nigh on 70 years, who has built bridges with all creeds, colours and religions all across the world, that it is inward looking?🤣🤣🤣

The fact it comes from a country led by one of the most poisonous, bitter, insular politicians in our history, really doesn't just take the biscuit but the entire McVitties brand.

Staggering post. Absolutely staggering. 

4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So, we'll run out of fuel, food and power??. Ohh kaay. Right then. Thanks for the heads up. 🤣

I don't really think we need lectures from Scot Nats about being open, progressive and outward looking.  Have a look at the map and tell me how breaking away from the UK, our main trading partner by a country mile, and erecting a border on the island we share, is outward looking or open in any way. 

Coming from a govt who have continually whinged, griped and refused ro make devolution work, it beggars belief. 

The tartan pot telling the UK kettle, the leaders of the Commonwealth, with the most respected Head of State anywhere in the world for nigh on 70 years, who has built bridges with all creeds, colours and religions all across the world, that it is inward looking?🤣🤣🤣

The fact it comes from a country led by one of the most poisonous, bitter, insular politicians in our history, really doesn't just take the biscuit but the entire McVitties brand.

GIF-oh-you-laugh-laughing-GIF.gif

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes the world should be moving to no

borders really . That’s what was disappointing about the Brexit vote for me . 

Lol 😂 at least Kat slater , although heavy on the foundation has a good pair of “ knockers “ On her ( my dad used to use that word when watching a good looking woman on tv , I cringed even then ) 😂 Lorna Slater just has her knockers 

Savage ! 

D6BC217E-28D3-4772-A850-88AF196F53CF.gif

🤣🤣👍

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

image.png.c05f2f0995079d79d44f64f67b204611.png

35 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:shark:

35 minutes ago, Smithee said:

GIF-oh-you-laugh-laughing-GIF.gif

Hahaha, I knew you'd get in on the joke. I mean, no-one in their right mind, except Enzo the "critical thinker" would fail to spot the outrageously satirical nature of my post, right?

It deliberately read like a Private Eye article written whilst the editor was on his second bag of marching powder in the last 10 minutes.  

The fact that the hyperbolic shite he posted in response eclipses it and was posted without a shred of irony is absolutely astounding. :gok:

4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

:shark:

Hahaha, I knew you'd get in on the joke. I mean, no-one in their right mind, except Enzo the "critical thinker" would fail to spot the outrageously satirical nature of my post, right?

It deliberately read like a Private Eye article written whilst the editor was on his second bag of marching powder in the last 10 minutes.  

The fact that the hyperbolic shite he posted in response eclipses it and was posted without a shred of irony is absolutely astounding. :gok:

To be honest, Gizmo, it's hard to sift through the sh*te to get to the satire, in terms of Nationalist supporting posters.

Funny thing is, nobody admits to supporting them. Much the same as liking Abba but as soon as Dancing Queen comes on, up on to the dance floor they go!!

Unfortunately your posting history makes the dissection process that bit more complicated. 

Anyway, I'll leave you and Smithee to your wee in-joke.🤣

59 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

To be honest, Gizmo, it's hard to sift through the sh*te to get to the satire, in terms of Nationalist supporting posters.

Funny thing is, nobody admits to supporting them. Much the same as liking Abba but as soon as Dancing Queen comes on, up on to the dance floor they go!!

Unfortunately your posting history makes the dissection process that bit more complicated. 

I support them! I'm a Scotnat you're a Britnat. That right? The connotations you associate with nationalism, especially the Scots variety, is to show it and its supporters in a poor light. I support the Scottish nation and that's the interpretation for me. The SNP has got you so wound up and it's glorious. I'm not a member.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

This gave me a wee chuckle 😂 im

very easily amused 

A5368D95-7348-4A85-AE00-EE4BA4510668.jpeg

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

very easily amused 

It's brilliant that the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon get right under folks skin. Wonderful to read some posts and nonsense on here. Just wonderful.

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's brilliant that the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon get right under folks skin. Wonderful to read some posts and nonsense on here. Just wonderful.

I don't live in Scotland but I'm struggling with the idea that "Sturgeon gets right under folks skin" ...

but, they keep voting for her ?  She gets under the skin of the people who don't vote for her - which would seem logical  ? 

4 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Have a look at the map and tell me how breaking away  the UK, from our main trading partner by a country mile, and erecting a border on the island we share, is outward looking or open in any way. 

Absolutely staggering. 

PS Ireland focussed its economy on the EU, not its historically closer market. Guess why ? 

PPS Now has its own under-sea leccy cables (so not having the same issues as UK in terms of volatile energy prices/energy security ) and bought superferries to get its goods to market quicker and with less risk to its main markets. 

But, yeah "breaking away". 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

5 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

6 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The SNP has got you so wound up and it's glorious. I'm not a member.

Why do you take pleasure from what you perceive as an uncomfortable position for others?

You say you "support the Scottish nation".  Does that not extend to those who happen to have a different viewpoint?

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Have a look at the map and tell me how breaking away  the UK, from our main trading partner by a country mile, and erecting a border on the island we share, is outward looking or open in any way. 

Absolutely staggering. 

PS Ireland focussed its economy on the EU, not its historically closer market. Guess why ? 

PPS Now has its own under-sea leccy cables (so not having the same issues as UK in terms of volatile energy prices/energy security ) and bought superferries to get its goods to market quicker and with less risk to its main markets. 

But, yeah "breaking away". 

PPPS - Blackpool now has under-the- sea fibre optic cables that link to New York, Dublin and Copenhagen, as part of the North Atlantic loop.

The N.W. England is expected to become a high-tech hub and benefit from thousands of jobs coming to the area.

Following the AUSUK defence initiative that will see us provide nuclear powered subs for the Aussies, it seems like global Britain is able to secure partnerships,  trade agreements and deals, without being an EU member.  Who'd have thought it??

But, yes, in principle, you're right, the same argument does apply to what I said about Brexit and Independence, in terms of cutting off trade from our nearest neighbour.

The reliance on our nearest neighbour weighs far heavier on Scotland,  with 65% of exports going to rUK,  than on Britain with EU.

Multiply Brexit problems  x 10 for an insight into how separation would look.

I voted Remain so have a consistent viewpoint on this.

Wanting to leave the UK but join the EU is like facing 2 ways at the same time. Stark raving bonkers.

6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

very easily amused 

🤣🤣. It will be a joyous day when that corrupt wee Murrell empire is brought crashing down to Earth.

The fallout over Govanhill may require homes to be evacuated.

Will be on a par with the photo of fat Salmond in the limo on 19 Sept 2014. 

:greggy: