The rise and fall of The SNP.

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Salmond is a lot of things. He ain’t daft. 
He’s got the SNP reeling it seems. Get it right up them they’ve had it too easy man tbh. 

I'm  sure you support independence. But Salmond is a turn off. Whether you like it or not. He is a discredited figure who does not carry the influence he once did. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s got the SNP reeling it seems. Get it right up them they’ve had it too easy man tbh. 

I've had enough of tbe snp but want independence.  Joined to get is over the line but regretted it straight away.   I was supposed to be on the zoom call where a party member collapsed.  I was at the previous meeting but hated it.   This enquiry stuff has put me right of them.  Still be voting to get away from Westminster but hate how the snp handled the last few weeks.  

The evidence withholding just put is on a par with Westminster.  Disgusting.  

I don't see this having an impact on those voting for a referendum.  

Auldbenches
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Just to add that it was Salmond's cleverness that nearly got us over the line.  He know what he was doing in the long run when he went back to Westminster for 8 a few year them came back as leader.   I think he is sleazy, but a very good at political strategy.  

jack D and coke
Just now, jambogaza said:

I'm  sure you support independence. But Salmond is a turn off. Whether you like it or not. He is a discredited figure who does not carry the influence he once did. 

I support what the people want really mate. If Scotland wants it then great and if not that’s fair enough too but yeah I’d more than likely vote Yes. I don’t like the SNP though and can’t stand some of them, the voters and the party. 

But I despise the rest. 

It's not great for the SNP just now. The sleazeball setting up a challenger party and the FM being a lying *******, it's probably the worst position they've been in for decades. 

They'll still utterly pish the elections though as they're still better than the alternatives. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Just to add that it was Salmond's cleverness that nearly got us over the line.  He know what he was doing in the long run when he went back to Westminster for 8 a few year them came back as leader.   I think he is sleazy, but a very good at political strategy.  

He’s a lot of things and he clearly think a lot of himself too but he’s the last politician I can remember that impressed me. He regularly put people right in their box but bizarrely seemed to lose it right at the vinegar stroke as it were, the goal was gaping and he couldn’t finish. He was mostly terrible during the indyref I thought and maybe ended up foiling it. 
I don’t however doubt he wants Scotland free so I’ll certainly be interested in what he’s got to say. I’m quite invigorated by it I’ll be honest it was all getting boring as ****. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s a lot of things and he clearly think a lot of himself too but he’s the last politician I can remember that impressed me. He regularly put people right in their box but bizarrely seemed to lose it right at the vinegar stroke as it were, the goal was gaping and he couldn’t finish. He was mostly terrible during the indyref I thought and maybe ended up foiling it. 
I don’t however doubt he wants Scotland free so I’ll certainly be interested in what he’s got to say. I’m quite invigorated by it I’ll be honest it was all getting boring as ****. 

Definitely a cause in his downfall! :oohmatron:

Auldbenches
Just now, jack D and coke said:

I think how he handled tbe currency question in the podium didn't help.  They will have to be better prepared for it this time. 

I used to really impressed by him and how he nearly got us there.  All we have to do is sit back and let Brexit do the work for us, but party politics has gotten in the way again. 

We will get their this time, but only if we don't rush in.  Too much big politics will put people off voting yes.  Especially when they see tbe impact of Brexit.  A bit of patience and that gets us there.  We can't blow it this time.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

As above, this is quite exciting. Scottish politics has been pretty boring. 

Setting out the future direction of the country is positive. Might get some actual debate about the issues.

The so called 'splits' in the SNP don't have to be negative. They can revitalise the quest for an improved Scotland whether independent or with more devolution. 

Get it out in the open to let people decide. 

From history its the effect on policies that is the most interesting. 

:spoton:

Auldbenches
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Definitely a cause in his downfall! :oohmatron:

😄 never thought about the words he chose in relation to Salmond. 

Brilliant.  

jack D and coke
Just now, Auldbenches said:

I think how he handled tbe currency question in the podium didn't help.  They will have to be better prepared for it this time. 

I used to really impressed by him and how he nearly got us there.  All we have to do is sit back and let Brexit do the work for us, but party politics has gotten in the way again. 

We will get their this time, but only if we don't rush in.  Too much big politics will put people off voting yes.  Especially when they see tbe impact of Brexit.  A bit of patience and that gets us there.  We can't blow it this time.

Yeah it was like he completely lost it during Indy ref. I honestly believe the grassroots stuff got the vote up not Salmond. 
But he has the support of a lot of the hard core who believe he will drive it again.

I remember when Scotland barely got a mention in the main news. Not anymore, they talk about us all the time now. All good imo. 

Auldbenches

Yeah it was like he completely lost it during Indy ref. I honestly believe the grassroots stuff got the vote up not Salmond. 
But he has the support of a lot of the hard core who believe he will drive it again.

I remember when Scotland barely got a mention in the main news. Not anymore, they talk about us all the time now. All good imo. 

It was the grassroots.  Where I live there was that much positive political energy after the referendum that they set up a local activists cafe for all groups to use for devising ideas.  It lasted 4 year but it showed it was the grassroots rather as much as anything.  

We lose this and we are stuck forever.   Desperate to see us leave Westminster before I pop my clogs. 

Would you be as bothered about being part of Westminster if they changed the voting system?   I wouldn't be as desperate to leave but still wouldn't trust the place when it comes to Scotland.  

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

It was the grassroots.  Where I live there was that much positive political energy after the referendum that they set up a local activists cafe for all groups to use for devising ideas.  It lasted 4 year but it showed it was the grassroots rather as much as anything.  

We lose this and we are stuck forever.   Desperate to see us leave Westminster before I pop my clogs. 

Would you be as bothered about being part of Westminster if they changed the voting system?   I wouldn't be as desperate to leave but still wouldn't trust the place when it comes to Scotland.  

I’d love Scotland to stand on its own two feet and lose the victim mentality and I’d love England and ruk to embrace it and for us all to get on with trading with each other etc etc and it all went nice. It won’t happen though it’ll probably have to get a bit messy if it’s to happen. Britain doesn’t let go anywhere easily and is usually always quite brutal before eventually getting forced out. 
I don’t trust the British government at all they’ve attempted to foil Scotland time and again and their lies have been exposed throughout the decades and even centuries all over the world about countries and their wealth. Why would they suddenly be telling us the truth. 
If they changed anything it would be to weaken our hand imo. 
I don’t mean that to sound like Britain has been bad to me. It hasn’t and if Scotland votes to remain part of the uk I have no problem with that. Some Scots lap it up and who am I to say they’re wrong. 

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What I find interesting is that we started on 29% way back before 2014 and a positive campaign which lacked substance in important areas (like currency and Europe) managed to be dragged up to 45%, its now at 50% as a result of Brexit and I think a lot of lessons will have been learned by all concerned. 

Brexit means that the EU argument is immediately lost. Actions like the internal market bill will have eroded confidence in the Tories respect for devolution and then there is the litany of broken promises. I genuinely don't see a positive case for the Union. In 2014 it was pretty negative from the outset. I don't think voters respond well to being told their country is 'too wee, too poor & too stupid' to make decisions for themselves. 2014 was less about 5% more people being convinced of the union as 16% of voters not buying what Better Together were selling. 

Auldbenches

I’d love Scotland to stand on its own two feet and lose the victim mentality and I’d love England and ruk to embrace it and for us all to get on with trading with each other etc etc and it all went nice. It won’t happen though it’ll probably have to get a bit messy if it’s to happen. Britain doesn’t let go anywhere easily and is usually always quite brutal before eventually getting forced out. 
I don’t trust the British government at all they’ve attempted to foil Scotland time and again and their lies have been exposed throughout the decades and even centuries all over the world about countries and their wealth. Why would they suddenly be telling us the truth. 
If they changed anything it would be to weaken our hand imo. 
I don’t mean that to sound like Britain has been bad to me. It hasn’t and if Scotland votes to remain part of the uk I have no problem with that. Some Scots lap it up and who am I to say they’re wrong. 

I get out off with the snp look what they've done to us.  I like him sillars comment about the two types of nationalist, big Ns and small ns.  The big nationalists are the ones saying look what they've done to us, while the small n for nationalism is more about what we can do with it.  

I hope in this campaign there is more focus on what we can do rather than history. 

I heard this week that over 90% of Scotland's electricity now comes from renewables. 

That's what we need to focus in rather than identify politics.   Not a chance in this social media age.  

Don't know of you heard Galloway's quote about the sun never setting on the British empire.  He said it's because god doesn't trust the English in the dark...  

Auldbenches
2 minutes ago, Candy said:

That's some website the ecksit party has

www.thealbaparty.com 

I heard they were going to call it the Scottish Independence Party but the abbreviation isn't good for our national image.   

jack D and coke

I get out off with the snp look what they've done to us.  I like him sillars comment about the two types of nationalist, big Ns and small ns.  The big nationalists are the ones saying look what they've done to us, while the small n for nationalism is more about what we can do with it.  

I hope in this campaign there is more focus on what we can do rather than history. 

I heard this week that over 90% of Scotland's electricity now comes from renewables. 

That's what we need to focus in rather than identify politics.   Not a chance in this social media age.  

Don't know of you heard Galloway's quote about the sun never setting on the British empire.  He said it's because god doesn't trust the English in the dark...  

Scotland would be just fine in the event of Indy. The place has resources falling out of it’s arse. That’s not to say I’m one of the “it’s all going to be plain sailing” mob though. It would be worth it though. I’d love to be part of that fairly earth shattering event tbh. 
Galloway....lol he’s a strange individual. 

Auldbenches

Scotland would be just fine in the event of Indy. The place has resources falling out of it’s arse. That’s not to say I’m one of the “it’s all going to be plain sailing” mob though. It would be worth it though. I’d love to be part of that fairly earth shattering event tbh. 
Galloway....lol he’s a strange individual. 

People can argue that we will be better or worse off but it will be fairer.  

I don't think I would stick with Westminster if they changed the voting system.  The english public school system would still manipulate it for their own benefits.  

6% of them go to public school and they run everything.   It's not like that in our politics.  Before this enquiry situation, could you mame one Scottish political spin doctor?  Another difference.  

Even nearly all the bbc newsreaders and presenters went to public school.  Our kids don't stand  chance in that system.  

Even with less money it'll be fairer.  

jack D and coke

People can argue that we will be better or worse off but it will be fairer.  

I don't think I would stick with Westminster if they changed the voting system.  The english public school system would still manipulate it for their own benefits.  

6% of them go to public school and they run everything.   It's not like that in our politics.  Before this enquiry situation, could you mame one Scottish political spin doctor?  Another difference.  

Even nearly all the bbc newsreaders and presenters went to public school.  Our kids don't stand  chance in that system.  

Even with less money it'll be fairer.  

I don’t think most of England is that different from us tbh. They’re as much as victims to these public schoolboy pricks as us. 
However we have another choice. 

Auldbenches

I don’t think most of England is that different from us tbh. They’re as much as victims to these public schoolboy pricks as us. 
However we have another choice. 

We are exactly the same as most  people in England just different accents.  They probably suffer more from the public school system than us.   

We are different politically than those in the south of England.  

I lived there until about 12 years ago and they couldn't believe some of our policies.  No bailiffs can take your stuff when your skunk  why kick someone when they are down?  Is someone I this country has a breakdown and gets signed off for mental health issues, they get a free bus pass to travel the country.   A great wee idea to get people out and about when they need it. 

They couldn't get their heads around free prescriptions.   We have a different approach than Westminster because we care about those needing help.  We'll be alright on our own. 

Auldbenches
Just now, Zlatanable said:

You definitely cannot say it 'will be fairer'

We just witnessed Scotland, under the SNP as a significantly less fair place to live in. 

But we wouldn't guaranteed to be governed by the snp.  

It will be fairer because our society already is.  Compared to down south anyway.  

You think Scotland wouldn't improve in any way if we went It alone? 

You telling me that you aren't impressed and proud of 90% of our electricity coming from renewables?  100% by 2030.   Credit where credit is due? 

Auldbenches

I would like to know what happened to the national energy company that Sturgeon said they were setting up to compete with the privatised companies.  She mentioned it at a party conference about two year ago and nothing about it since.  Great idea. 

jack D and coke

We are exactly the same as most  people in England just different accents.  They probably suffer more from the public school system than us.   

We are different politically than those in the south of England.  

I lived there until about 12 years ago and they couldn't believe some of our policies.  No bailiffs can take your stuff when your skunk  why kick someone when they are down?  Is someone I this country has a breakdown and gets signed off for mental health issues, they get a free bus pass to travel the country.   A great wee idea to get people out and about when they need it. 

They couldn't get their heads around free prescriptions.   We have a different approach than Westminster because we care about those needing help.  We'll be alright on our own. 

Yeah the further south you go we tend to differ a bit politically but even then I found most people were just average Joe’s, same as me really. Their priorities changed because of their circumstances nothing else and in a lot of cases I agreed with them. I understand why a lot of England voted brexit for example, it doesn’t make them bad people. 

Auldbenches

I think someone ought to start a new thread, about the upcoming election. 

Because nothing you say here is connected to this thread, which is called 'The rise and fall of the SNP'

So only people who think the snp have fallen should post? What if they think they haven't and are just giving examples to back up their argument against you? 

So only snp criticism on this thread?  

jack D and coke

I would like to know what happened to the national energy company that Sturgeon said they were setting up to compete with the privatised companies.  She mentioned it at a party conference about two year ago and nothing about it since.  Great idea. 

Like I say mate, do they even want it? Do they want a whole career and enrichment or treating people like suckers? 

Edited by jack D and coke

Auldbenches

Yeah the further south you go we tend to differ a bit politically but even then I found most people were just average Joe’s, same as me really. Their priorities changed because of their circumstances nothing else and in a lot of cases I agreed with them. I understand why a lot of England voted brexit for example, it doesn’t make them bad people. 

I think it's just a culture thing down there.  A lot of self made labour men turned tory during the Thatcher boom years in houses etc.  

I hate that bullshit the further north the friendlier.  Rubbish.  

She was recently asked in Parliament if this was something else she'd forgotten  about. Her angry reply was that she had been dealing with a GLOBAL PANDEMIC

Auldbenches

Like I say mate, do they even want it? Do they want a whole career and enrichment or treating people like suckers? 

She did promise it and haven't heard anything since.  

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Candy said:

She was recently asked in Parliament if this was something else she'd forgotten  about. Her angry reply was that she had been dealing with a GLOBAL PANDEMIC

It was about 3 years ago she said it. Even if it was only two there must've been some progress. 

Wouldn't the energy minister be looking at that anyway?  All she has to do is get them to say what has happened.  

jack D and coke

I think it's just a culture thing down there.  A lot of self made labour men turned tory during the Thatcher boom years in houses etc.  

I hate that bullshit the further north the friendlier.  Rubbish.  

Found them all friendly tbh. All parts of the country were great. I liked the more English places if you know what I mean. The big cities are all a bit samey but when you went into the smaller places I liked that more. 

It was about 3 years ago she said it. Even if it was only two there must've been some progress. 

Wouldn't the energy minister be looking at that anyway?  All she has to do is get them to say what has happened.  

It did sound like a good idea and covid seems a handy excuse.

I assume they made an arse of it.

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

Nicola Sturgeon took the complaints of two people, and made such a mess of handling them, that it cost the people in Scotland about a million pounds., NS called her actions a “dreadful, catastrophic mistake” - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/03/nicola-sturgeon-government-made-catastrophic-error-in-salmond-inquiry And removed the eventuality of those two people from having a fair hearing. 

Please never say that Scotland will be 'fairer'.  It is obvious our society is less fair already, evidentially. 

Our society and politics aren't as fair as England and Westminster?  

I thought this was about the snp and not the whole of Scotland? 

I think Scottish society would become even fairer than it is now if free from Westminster.  

Air if we get independence and the snp aren't in power, do you think it would be fairer then?  Or Scotland just doesn't stand a chance on it's on? 

Shanks said no
Scottish Parliament election, 2016: Lothian
Party Elected candidates Seats +/− Votes % +/−%
  SNP   0 0 118,546 36.2% -2.9%
  Conservative Miles Briggs
Gordon Lindhurst
Jeremy Balfour
3 +1 74,972 22.9% +11.3%
  Labour Kezia Dugdale
Neil Findlay
2 -1 67,991 20.8% -4.1%
  Scottish Green Alison Johnstone
Andy Wightman
2 +1 34,551 10.6% +3.0%
  Independent   0 -1 -6.6%

Auldbenches
3 minutes ago, Candy said:

Or no progress at all in the last 2 or 3 years.  Just be honest.  That's why we want away from Westminster to get away from the usual politics.

She started giving spinning at the despatch box a couple of years ago regarding the common agricultural payment.  She was asked in the parliament at about 2 o'clock if age was looking to extend the delay in farmers payments.  Said no plans and then release a statement four hours later saying she had asked for an extension to the delay.  I want away from all that shite.  

She does need someone to challenge her now.   

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Candy said:

Sometimes I think they don’t want it man. Do they think it’s not gonna go well and don’t want to force it? Do they just want a career out of it all? Whatever you think about AS he will go for it and that’s what he’ll appeal to imo. 

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

This thread is called 'The rise and fall of the SNP'

But some disagree with what is being said.  You trying to deny us the right to respond? 

Some feel that they haven't fallen and aren't going to sit back and let you say otherwise.

Sorry but posters will reply and thesis nothing you can do...

Auldbenches
26 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Because nothing you say here is connected to this thread, which is called 'The rise and fall of the SNP'

So if I start a thread and word it right anyone can read it but only those agreeing can post on it?  

So if I start a thread saying the fall and rise of the snp, you can't post if you disagree?  

That's what you are saying.  

Auldbenches

Nicola?

Yiu are saying we can't post in here if we disagree because the thread title says rise and fall.  If I turn that round, you can't post unless you agree. I'm using your rules.

Shanks said no
12 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

mate, cmon, that is clearly a post connected to the 2021 Scottish Parliament event, not 'The rise and fall of the SNP' thread here.

Merely setting out what votes were case in 2016 and how many seats these votes won. Thought it was relevant as in Lothian SNP lose nothing if Alba take 2+ seats, other than losing the lapdogs.

Auldbenches

fire in, 

I thought there was more to you in these discussions.   You aren't here to debate, just here to slate one party.  

I think you know I'm right regarding who can post in this thread.  Concede? 

Shanks said no
On 22/02/2020 at 00:03, Zlatanable said:

Back in 2007, it was a very different picture. 

The Holyrood result in 2011 broke the system and allowed a minority view to overshadow the people of Scotland ever since.

Since then,  Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon have both failed in their only objective. 

The cost of pursuing an 'the end justifies the means' campaign is returning home to roost. 

And that is before any mention of sexual/financial indiscretions, that have been reported so far.

Now, in 2020, it seems like The SNP are finished. 

5 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

aye aye , aye, 

this thread title is not appropriate for the May 2021 Scottish General Election posts, 

Have to disagree, your opening post 189 pages ago mentions the 2007 and 2011 election, however I am not permitted to post about what could happen in 2021.

I'll bow out disgracefully.

Auldbenches
4 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

Lets debate then, You start. 

I am debating with you.  I'm debating that people who disagree with you have the right to post on this thread and gave an example of how daft that is.   

You still think no one should post in this thread unless they are only talking about the fall of the snp? 

Genuine question.  

I've started it, now you to reply.  Happy to go back to.the snp stuff after this.  

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

I am debating with you.  I'm debating that people who disagree with you have the right to post on this thread and gave an example of how daft that is.   

You still think no one should post in this thread unless they are only talking about the fall of the snp? 

Genuine question.  

I've started it, now you to reply.  Happy to go back to.the snp stuff after this.  

Indeed. Just because he started it doesn’t mean he decides who posts what on it 😆😂🤪

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed. Just because he started it doesn’t mean he decides who posts what on it 😆😂🤪

He doesn't understand that it could work both ways.  I'll start a thread the fall and rise.   

Do you think he might not like the snp or a floating voter..? 

1 hour ago, Zlatanable said:

Its called a conversation buddy :) It has ebbs and flows.

55 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:
Scottish Parliament election, 2016: Lothian
Party Elected candidates Seats +/− Votes % +/−%
  SNP   0 0 118,546 36.2% -2.9%
  Conservative Miles Briggs
Gordon Lindhurst
Jeremy Balfour
3 +1 74,972 22.9% +11.3%
  Labour Kezia Dugdale
Neil Findlay
2 -1 67,991 20.8% -4.1%
  Scottish Green Alison Johnstone
Andy Wightman
2 +1 34,551 10.6% +3.0%
  Independent   0 -1 -6.6%

Albas case is pretty much made for them. In the central belt at least, 2 votes SNP doesn't work. 

Now, whether that means we're all voting SNP or Greens it doesn't really matter. But list votes for the SNP is a waste of time and I'm not sure why they're still clinging on to that strategy? Maybe afraid if they stop being the only show in town folk might stop voting for them?

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Zlatanable said:

'...I'm debating that people who disagree with you have the right to post on this thread and gave an example of how daft that is'...

If you take a moment to read the previous 188 pages of this thread, you will discover that a lot of the posts are in disagreement with the title of the thread. I have no power over who replies or what they say. 

'You still think no one should post in this thread unless they are only talking about the fall of the snp?'

I have never thought that. If you look at the stats of the individuals who have replied on this thread, 3 of the 4 most numerous replies have come from people that disagreed with the statement in the title. 

(secondary- the tenth guideline of the JKB rules https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/guidelines/ is 10. Responses within a thread must remain on topic to that thread.'

You said that this is only about the rise and fall of tbe snp but the emphasis on the fall.  I'm saying that you can't have a thread discussing politics and not allow people their right to respond.  

I don't care about this threads stats, just don't like you saying that I can't post if I disagree with something.  

That's what you said..twice.  

I'll.discuss tte snp with you.  You think they haven't come up with any policies that have worked?  

Free prescriptions are saving us money in the long run.  Free medicine keeps people out of hospital where it is extremely expensive to treat someone.  You don't agree with this policy?   

90% of the money spent by the nhs on your health is spent in tbe last period of your life. Free prescriptions are preventing people getting more ill therefore saving money.  

Good ot bad snp.policy?