The rise and fall of The SNP.

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Rubbish.

People who vote Green will not flock to Alba. Besides, there is every chance the SNP will win in constituencies alone.

I predict the SNP will fall short of a majority but will probably form a formal coalition with the Greens.

Sounds good to me. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• jack D and coke

• manaliveits105

• Roxy Hearts

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Independence is not about individuals or even parties. Not sure why folk haven't clocked this yet. 

I don’t think any of them have grasped this yet. It’s only been just short of 15 years I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Independence is not about individuals or even parties. Not sure why folk haven't clocked this yet. 

Not as such, but his position was at the forefront of the yes campaign and we were being asked to trust his judgement.

Now he starts an another indy party and we are being told by his old lot not to trust him.

9 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

https://savanta.com/view/salmond-standing-as-an-msp/

Interesting read.

Whilst I see the benefits in providing Alba with my second vote, I'd be betraying my conscience. 

One of the things I have repeatedly heard over the last 3 years especially, is that independence isn't about personalities. Its not about Sturgeon, or Salmond. Its about getting Independence done. SNP 1 & Alba 2 will deliver a pro independence majority. Perhaps even a super majority. The figures don't lie. 2016 SNP 2 accounted for 900,000 votes and gave us 4 SNP Msps, conversely 500,000 Tory votes returned more than 20 Msps. 

You are absolutely entitled to vote for whoever you please, but I would encourage you to think about that. If we want a parliament that majority backs independence the best way is to back Alba on the list. 

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

One of the things I have repeatedly heard over the last 3 years especially, is that independence isn't about personalities. Its not about Sturgeon, or Salmond. Its about getting Independence done. SNP 1 & Alba 2 will deliver a pro independence majority. Perhaps even a super majority. The figures don't lie. 2016 SNP 2 accounted for 900,000 votes and gave us 4 SNP Msps, conversely 500,000 Tory votes returned more than 20 Msps. 

You are absolutely entitled to vote for whoever you please, but I would encourage you to think about that. If we want a parliament that majority backs independence the best way is to back Alba on the list. 

Yeah, I am persuaded by the argument for giving your vote to another pro independence party. That would be the Greens for me, though.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, OTT said:

We had an independence supermajority last time. SNP 1 & Greens 2 works well instead of voting for yesterday’s man and the StuAnon cultists. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Yeah, I am persuaded by the argument for giving your vote to another pro independence party. That would be the Greens for me, though.

Indeed. 

B3AADF59-B2BE-48E7-B93E-309EEC6EF41B.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed. 

B3AADF59-B2BE-48E7-B93E-309EEC6EF41B.jpeg

It might be too late, but SNP should form a pact with the Greens around this...

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

We had an independence supermajority last time. SNP 1 & Greens 2 works well instead of voting for yesterday’s man and the StuAnon cultists. 

I was watching a Tony Blair interview on GMB a while back and one of the things he said in relation to ChangeUK/ The Independent Group, was that when you make  people politically homeless invariably they will find a new home or create their own. Much of Sturgeons attention has been squarely on equalities which isn't resonating with everyone within the SNP which is supposed to be a 'broad church' party. Policies like the HCB and GRA are turning some voters off. The reason I mention this is because Harvie & the greens back these policies and some feel that the SNP are hijacking the Independence vote to push through these policies. The abuse Joanna Cherry/ Joan Mcalpine  got for raising concerns regarding what this means for womens rights should underscore how divisive and poisonous the debate has got around it, plus the party itself has offered minimal (if any) support to these people for raising what appear to be legitimate concerns. 

I'm not trying to convince you either way btw, I'm just highlighting why I think Alba is getting oxygen. If you like the party stance with SNP then the greens are a great place to send your vote, especially from your graphic. I read a post from Adam Tomkins (Tory MSP) for a Tory/Unionist think tank and they seem to be shitting themselves about the prospect of Alba. They've estimated about a 3rd of SNP voters still respect Salmond, which they've transferred to equating to getting around 12% of the vote which could correlate to around 2 seats in each region. Given there are 8 regions this means that the unionists could lose up to 16 seats. 

https://policyexchange.org.uk/why-we-should-take-alex-salmonds-alba-party-seriously/

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

It might be too late, but SNP should form a pact with the Greens around this...

They won’t because they’re the dominant party, I’m not sure the Greens would either in public anyway. Salmond has blurred these lines and might well allow more unionists in.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

I was watching a Tony Blair interview on GMB a while back and one of the things he said in relation to ChangeUK/ The Independent Group, was that when you make  people politically homeless invariably they will find a new home or create their own. Much of Sturgeons attention has been squarely on equalities which isn't resonating with everyone within the SNP which is supposed to be a 'broad church' party. Policies like the HCB and GRA are turning some voters off. The reason I mention this is because Harvie & the greens back these policies and some feel that the SNP are hijacking the Independence vote to push through these policies. The abuse Joanna Cherry/ Joan Mcalpine  got for raising concerns regarding what this means for womens rights should underscore how divisive and poisonous the debate has got around it, plus the party itself has offered minimal (if any) support to these people for raising what appear to be legitimate concerns. 

I'm not trying to convince you either way btw, I'm just highlighting why I think Alba is getting oxygen. If you like the party stance with SNP then the greens are a great place to send your vote, especially from your graphic. I read a post from Adam Tomkins (Tory MSP) for a Tory/Unionist think tank and they seem to be shitting themselves about the prospect of Alba. They've estimated about a 3rd of SNP voters still respect Salmond, which they've transferred to equating to getting around 12% of the vote which could correlate to around 2 seats in each region. Given there are 8 regions this means that the unionists could lose up to 16 seats. 

https://policyexchange.org.uk/why-we-should-take-alex-salmonds-alba-party-seriously/

I’m a Green and holding my nose to vote SNP again in the vain hope of independence. I’m not against different parties, England needs more options for instance. I’m not sure if any of these new parties offer much different from the SNP here though and certainly are not progressive. I think you should wait to see the other candidates this new one has before telling folk to vote for them. I’m all for squeezing unionists out though which can be achieved by SNP 1 & Greens 2 but we can all make our own choices. 
The link doesn’t really explain the system well either, it’s Dhondt and PR/AV which was designed to stop a majority. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I’m a Green and holding my nose to vote SNP again in the vain hope of independence. I’m not against different parties, England needs more options for instance. I’m not sure if any of these new parties offer much different from the SNP here though and certainly are not progressive. I think you should wait to see the other candidates this new one has before telling folk to vote for them. I’m all for squeezing unionists out though which can be achieved by SNP 1 & Greens 2 but we can all make our own choices. 

With regard to independence though, Scotland as a whole needs to be ready to vote for it. Not just a pro independence parliamentary majority. This is as much about persuading people as it is about winning votes.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

With regard to independence though, Scotland as a whole needs to be ready to vote for it. Not just a pro independence parliamentary majority. This is as much about persuading people as it is about winning votes.

It is ready, polls continually show this and the SNP have continually been given a mandate in Westminster and Scottish elections. If they and other Independence party’s get a supermajority it’s happening. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah, the FPTP system in England is needing to be brought to an end. I think parties like the Lib dems & Greens down south could offer a lot but aren't getting that chance. Was there not a vote on it in the early 2000s which fell apart?

I think you do have a point, if the quality of the candidates is shocking then obviously that will make it regrettable. Alba announced 3 candidates, Eva Comrie - who had been #1 on the SNP Fife list, Chris McEleney who is a bit marmite, but has been advocating for a plan B for like 18 months which finally seems to be getting adopted as SNP policy but isn't viewed very well within the SNP, last one is Cynthia Guthrie who looks an interesting candidate with a business background standing in South of Scotland. I've got a suspicion we may see the AFI merge into Alba which will see better known names like Tommy Sheridan & Dave Thompson jumping on board. Although, I reckon we'll know for sure in the next week or two. Based on who has came forward I'm fairly happy with that and assuming the quality holds I'll be pleased. Salmond works with Tasmina Ahmed Sheik, who was previously an SNP MP in Perth, so it would be good to see her throw her hat in the ring too.

I see Alba as a return to the SNP I got behind under Salmond. The new incarnation under Sturgeon I'm personally finding difficult to relate to. The priority doesn't seem to be Independence anymore and I think having a harder line Independence party might help keep them on task so the constitutional question can be resolved and we can focus entirely on issues like Education, housing, etc. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, the FPTP system in England is needing to be brought to an end. I think parties like the Lib dems & Greens down south could offer a lot but aren't getting that chance. Was there not a vote on it in the early 2000s which fell apart?

I think you do have a point, if the quality of the candidates is shocking then obviously that will make it regrettable. Alba announced 3 candidates, Eva Comrie - who had been #1 on the SNP Fife list, Chris McEleney who is a bit marmite, but has been advocating for a plan B for like 18 months which finally seems to be getting adopted as SNP policy but isn't viewed very well within the SNP, last one is Cynthia Guthrie who looks an interesting candidate with a business background standing in South of Scotland. I've got a suspicion we may see the AFI merge into Alba which will see better known names like Tommy Sheridan & Dave Thompson jumping on board. Although, I reckon we'll know for sure in the next week or two. Based on who has came forward I'm fairly happy with that and assuming the quality holds I'll be pleased. Salmond works with Tasmina Ahmed Sheik, who was previously an SNP MP in Perth, so it would be good to see her throw her hat in the ring too.

I see Alba as a return to the SNP I got behind under Salmond. The new incarnation under Sturgeon I'm personally finding difficult to relate to. The priority doesn't seem to be Independence anymore and I think having a harder line Independence party might help keep them on task so the constitutional question can be resolved and we can focus entirely on issues like Education, housing, etc. 

Chris has certainly been consistent, Cynthia Guthrie is a name I recognise. As much as Salmond and Sheridan are charismatic speakers I think they’re both tainted goods now. 
Im no big fan of the current SNP, it’s determination to control everything and it’s reluctance to really do anything about independence or even really discuss it. 
It’s going to be an interesting six weeks and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Chris has certainly been consistent, Cynthia Guthrie is a name I recognise. As much as Salmond and Sheridan are charismatic speakers I think they’re both tainted goods now. 
Im no big fan of the current SNP, it’s determination to control everything and it’s reluctance to really do anything about independence or even really discuss it. 
It’s going to be an interesting six weeks and beyond. 

AFI has just confirmed they're standing down, so looks like Alba and the greens will be taking centre stage as the primary List vote parties. Even if Alba pushes people that don't like Salmond to vote green, it still will deliver the pro-indy parliament which does the job for me :) 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

AFI has just confirmed they're standing down, so looks like Alba and the greens will be taking centre stage as the primary List vote parties. Even if Alba pushes people that don't like Salmond to vote green, it still will deliver the pro-indy parliament which does the job for me :) 

Interesting development 👍🏽

26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It is ready, polls continually show this and the SNP have continually been given a mandate in Westminster and Scottish elections. If they and other Independence party’s get a supermajority it’s happening. 

I hope so. It is time.

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, OTT said:

Salmond will appeal to some there’s not doubt about it. A lot of the harder core don’t believe this SNP actually want it. I sometimes wonder myself if the talk of indy is just that as far they’re concerned. 
I have to agree some of them seem to be hanging it out for their career. 

Auld Reekin'
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

This guy?

76D7DC6D-0860-487D-8383-F404F1F5A50E.png

You know, you may just have something there...   :levein_interesting:

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

You know, you may just have something there...   :levein_interesting:

that twat votes for him 🙈

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Salmond will appeal to some there’s not doubt about it. A lot of the harder core don’t believe this SNP actually want it. I sometimes wonder myself if the talk of indy is just that as far they’re concerned. 
I have to agree some of them seem to be hanging it out for their career. 

Especially those that there is no place for back here, Pete Wishart etc. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

An example of how calculating this weirdo is is that he freely conceded to having been inappropriate and of poor behaviour when that contrition suited his purpose at the time.  Now he's completely disowning his previous admissions.  He's been asked to speak about what he said and he wont go near it.

He's displaying a lot of classic characters traits of a particularly nasty and even dangerous type of individual.  Scotland's Donald Trump.

Yep - that sums him up well.     A bully-boy with a giant ego, following the Farage & Galloway political handbook of how to stay relevant despite being despised by most voters.  His comment about  "standing by the court's findings and now it's time to move on"  set a new  high-water mark of brass neck,  even by his standards.

The idea that it needs a SNP 2.0  in addition to the real SNP to force a referendum is just ego-spin.   It's just  an attempt to challenge  Sturgeon and eventually become the undisputed owner  of an independent Scotland.    No other Hearts fan could be accused of being a glory hunter, but that's pretty much what he is.

I wonder how many attractive young ladies he'll be inviting to the Alba Party's  late-night   "strategy meetings" in the next few weeks. :whistling:

Lone Striker
47 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Just as a matter of interest, Pasquale - what is a supermajority ?   What does it mean ?

2 hours ago, Candy said:

Not as such, but his position was at the forefront of the yes campaign and we were being asked to trust his judgement.

Now he starts an another indy party and we are being told by his old lot not to trust him.

I don't trust any of them implicitly, and if Scotland where to become independent I'd want to vote for a very different party and a different type of politics. Otherwise, the whole thing is pointless.

JudyJudyJudy

Alex has played a blinder . Wonder how it will all go ? Might it split the votes ? Always said we need another Independence Party to filter who is really aligned to the snp . 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Alex has played a blinder . Wonder how it will all go ? Might it split the votes ? Always said we need another Independence Party to filter who is really aligned to the snp . 

That’s what I think too pal. Salmond is a lot of things but he’s a great politician. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s what I think too pal. Salmond is a lot of things but he’s a great politician. 

Yep he’s some guy ! Revenge is indeed a dish best served cold ! 

5 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I don't trust any of them implicitly, and if Scotland where to become independent I'd want to vote for a very different party and a different type of politics. Otherwise, the whole thing is pointless.

I've seen a few posts saying similar about voting for someone else if indy is gained. Fair enough, but who? Its largely going to be the same characters around and would indy voters really then decide to vote for politicians who were against independence?

Anyway, I digress. My earlier post was about the hypocrisy of those blindly following eck for years and now calling him for all sorts.

Just now, Candy said:

I've seen a few posts saying similar about voting for someone else if indy is gained. Fair enough, but who? Its largely going to be the same characters around and would indy voters really then decide to vote for politicians who were against independence?

Anyway, I digress. My earlier post was about the hypocrisy of those blindly following eck for years and now calling him for all sorts.

I don't really believe in cult of personality politics, but the truth is a majority of people don't read manifestos and vote on who they like or who stirs them up and grabs their attention. Salmond was exceptional in his day, but I reckon he's yesterday's man now. 

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep he’s some guy ! Revenge is indeed a dish best served cold ! 

The fact he seems to have rustled loads of the jimmys of the snp is good enough for me too. 

In fact I’ll go further I just seen snivelling little rat Ross saying it’s unacceptable too. Get it bent roond that rodent faced little ***** ☺️

Edited by jack D and coke

Footballfirst

Salmond attracting all sorts of misfits.

Statement from AFI endorsed by Solidarity. Scotland Before Party is exactly what we stand for. After discussion tonight we have decided to withdraw from the election in May and support and promote Alba. Max The Yes strategy was always the right one. Now Alba carries the flag

Flag of Scotland

You have to wonder how much responsibility the SNP leadership will take for the creation of this new party. Do SNP voters feel if they'd done things differently they wouldn't be faced with this issue, or is it all just the fault of Salmond and his ego?

Salmond's stated tactic re the 2nd vote makes sense,  but it's completely bogus.  It's a wee niche he's spotted to campaign on but it's purely for his own agenda.  ****ing snake of a man.

11 minutes ago, Candy said:

You have to wonder how much responsibility the SNP leadership will take for the creation of this new party. Do SNP voters feel if they'd done things differently they wouldn't be faced with this issue, or is it all just the fault of Salmond and his ego?

I think if Sturgeon had stayed true to the ideals of being a 'broad church' party then I think Salmond would have his work cut out. But by alienating elements of the Yes movement she's effectively opened the door for him. I'm pretty excited by whats to come tbh. Its shaken up the landscape and with heavyweights like Salmond involved I suspect it will get the traction it needs. 

Not a good measurement by any stretch, but he's tripled the amount of followers to Alba than what AFI had prior to their disbandment on twitter. So this sort of profile can only be good for boosting Alba's reach. The list only parties had been dismissed up to now as a social media confined anomaly. 

Edited by OTT

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Salmond's stated tactic re the 2nd vote makes sense,  but it's completely bogus.  It's a wee niche he's spotted to campaign on but it's purely for his own agenda.  ****ing snake of a man.

Im not so sure. I’ll need to look deeper into it all but I’m honestly of the opinion AS is trying to force the SNP to make good on their bluster. Put up or shut up I think is the game. I’ll admit I have my doubts the current SNP really want it. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The fact he seems to have rustled loads of the jimmys of the snp is good enough for me too. 

In fact I’ll go further I just seen snivelling little rat Ross saying it’s unacceptable too. Get it bent roond that rodent faced little ***** ☺️

Same here . It’s delicious  to watch the anger and Seeth 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think if Sturgeon had stayed true to the ideals of being a 'broad church' party then I think Salmond would have his work cut out. But by alienating elements of the Yes movement she's effectively opened the door for him. I'm pretty excited by whats to come tbh. Its shaken up the landscape and with heavyweights like Salmond involved I suspect it will get the traction it needs. 

Not a good measurement by any stretch, but he's tripled the amount of followers to Alba than what AFI had prior to their disbandment on twitter. So this sort of profile can only be good for boosting Alba's reach. The list only parties had been dismissed up to now as a social media confined anomaly. 

Yes there is a load of disaffected snp votes to be had due to various reasons . 

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I can't stand him but that is a shocking campaigning angle for the snp.   

This'll backfire when they start dishing dirt back.

What about the snp MSPs that have had to leave for being perverts? 

Scottish politics is going to turn very dirty. 

The concern is it's all to defend Sturgeon.

But the facts are a not guilty/ not proven verdict in court. Continuing to suggest and insinuating that person is guilty is unprecedented in public life. 

It won't end well. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

But the facts are a not guilty/ not proven verdict in court. Continuing to suggest and insinuating that person is guilty is unprecedented in public life. 

It won't end well. 

Thing is, they can't attack the policies of the Alba Party so all they can do is attack the people.

Auldbenches

It won't end well. 

No need for dirty tricks like this.  You're right in that it won't end well. 

Mhairi Black getting used by head office to fire tbe first dirty shot? 

I'm a supporter of independence but hate what they are doing to our politics.  Same shite as Westminster.  

He was found innocent and for the snp to take this approach at the start of campaigning is terrible.  

Who tbe feck is advising them? 

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Candy said:

Thing is, they can't attack the policies of the Alba Party so all they can do is attack the people.

You've cracked in one.  That is it and nothing else.  Watch this unfold over the next few weeks.   It's not like anyone can come back at the snp with any current accusations of sleaze... 

Just now, Auldbenches said:

I'm a supporter of independence but hate what they are doing to our politics.  Same shite as Westminster.  

He was found innocent and for the snp to take this approach at the start of campaigning is terrible.  

Murray Foote? 

Same guy that authored the vow digging up tweets from Salmond backing SNP 1&2 from 2016 trying to make some weird point about this is what he said then :D 

Aye Murray you creepy little man, we're allowed to change our minds. Thats what Indy ref 2 is predicated on. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

You can't mean that. You lose the next Referendum and it's over? 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Salmond is a lot of things. He ain’t daft. 
He’s got the SNP reeling it seems. Get it right up them they’ve had it too easy man tbh. 

You can't mean that. You lose the next Referendum and it's over? 

I think the plan is to win the next one and this time we're starting on 50% not 29% :P 

3 hours ago, jambogaza said:

I don't think I have expressed myself well enough here.

I was astounded at people trying to defend Westminster's standards, when comparing to Scotland.

For clarity, I despise Westminster and its workings and want Scotland to be independent inside the EU asap.

:)

Nah, I think my reading comprehension has just reached an all-time low :lol:

Apologies

27 minutes ago, Candy said:

None it would seem.

Sturgeon and whoever else is driving this are confident in their approach. 

That could change.