• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Jambof3tornado

• kingantti1874

Just now, AndyNic said:

Assist for the penalty tonight so credit where it's due. 

Mate.

His positioning was shit.

Really needs coached big time or gtf

2 minutes ago, jake said:

Mate.

His positioning was shit.

Really needs coached big time or gtf

Did he get an assist for the goal tonight or not?

1 hour ago, hearts00 said:

He has twice had to catch the ball dropped it both times. The shot off the inside of the post he had his angles completely wrong. 

He is ghastly. 

couple of things I noticed; shots across him he curls up hedgehog like, one on ones he tends to drop to his knees and throw his hands in the air. I really don't think he makes himself big enough...

‪Hearts have been given great credit over the years for the part the players played in McCrae’s battalion, now the club have stepped up to the mark again in discovering a cure for the corona virus, JOEL PEREIRA is that cure, he is incapable of catching anything.‬

15 hours ago, Masonic said:

post saved him 3 times today still averages letting in a goal every 2 shots over half a season

Not sticking up for Pereira but how does the post save him? Hitting the woodwork is a shot off target so how can that possibly "save" him?

23 hours ago, Morgan said:

I loved John Brough back in the day, usually very reliable.

I remember liking him too. I dont remember too much but do recall him being a better shot stopper than what we have at  the moment.

1 hour ago, 3Bigcupsoon said:

‪Hearts have been given great credit over the years for the part the players played in McCrae’s battalion, now the club have stepped up to the mark again in discovering a cure for the corona virus, JOEL PEREIRA is that cure, he is incapable of catching anything.‬

Maybe he's a carrier :qqb006:

1 minute ago, DC_HMFC said:

Not sticking up for Pereira but how does the post save him? Hitting the woodwork is a shot off target so how can that possibly "save" him?

Common football expression as you must be aware.

It means that it was close enough that the keeper couldn't be confident it was going wide but also wasn't getting to it if the ball had gone inside the post. That description can be applied to all three of the shots off the woodwork yesterday. If any of them had been on target then Pereira wasn't getting to them. No surprise as he is a keeper who simply doesn't make even half decent saves.

9 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Common football expression as you must be aware.

It means that it was close enough that the keeper couldn't be confident it was going wide but also wasn't getting to it if the ball had gone inside the post. That description can be applied to all three of the shots off the woodwork yesterday. If any of them had been on target then Pereira wasn't getting to them. No surprise as he is a keeper who simply doesn't make even half decent saves.

Yeah I'm aware it's a common expression, being common doesn't mean it makes sense though. Even when you are describing whats meant when the saying is used it's all ifs and buts. Probably just me being pedantic to be honest.

Totaly agree with your last sentence though he doesn't make even the simple saves you would expect from a professional keeper, some of his handling (albeit in shocking conditions) was atrocious.

16 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Man Utd >

"He plays...we pay his wage.

He doesn't.....you pay his wage"

Something like that?

It's the only logical reason.

Stendel took less than 5 minutes to see Berra and Whelan weren't up to the job.

There's no other reason for him not to have punted Joel.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
38 minutes ago, Glottis said:

It's the only logical reason.

Stendel took less than 5 minutes to see Berra and Whelan weren't up to the job.

There's no other reason for him not to have punted Joel.

Hasn't Pereira already been dropped this season (Motherwell and At Johnstone are 2 of them).

Let's just admit we haven't got a decent goalkeeper in our first team squad. The 3 of them are bomb scares but it is time for Perira to be dropped after the St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and even the Falkirk games. There must be a better goalkeeper out there that is a free agent.

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg

I am extremely worried about Wednesday night.

With this clown in goals Celtic will be shooting for fun. They are also the best attacking team in the league. 

How did Joel manage to drop so many easy balls last night? Also his positioning when the boy was thru first half was terrible thank god it was a league 1 striker. 

Sorry but I am absolutely shocked this guy is a professional footballer. 

Haven’t read whole thread but assume it was Harry Stone that was in goals for a bit of the shooting drill pre match yesterday. Looked good. Strong hands and decent positioning. 

Positive he’s being involved, may be worth giving him a go.

The only thing he has shown against Falkirk is that he cant catch a ball either. Bad conditions without doubt but Falkirk keepers handling looked fine.

been here before

After his goalkeeping masterclass v Rangers which, apart from  we all missed (apart grom Noah Claypole), I wonder if he could manage to repeat this 'playing a blinder' against the other arse cheek.

Those points would certainly come in handy.

2 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

Haven’t read whole thread but assume it was Harry Stone that was in goals for a bit of the shooting drill pre match yesterday. Looked good. Strong hands and decent positioning. 

Positive he’s being involved, may be worth giving him a go.

Sooner rather than later

On 07/02/2020 at 22:10, BarneyBattles said:

Since I started watching Hearts in the late 70s, the main goalies were. 

John Brough - very good 

Henry Smith  - excellent 

Nicky Walker - good

Rousset- excellent 

Gordon - verge of world class

Niemi - not far off Gordon (IMO)

MacDonald - fantastic shot stopper with flaws

Alexander - decent

Hamilton - decent shot stopper but shaky

McLauchlin - very good

Have probably missed a few like Kello etc but the gist of it is a club with the resources we have have always had decent to very good keepers. 

perreira is like the fat kid at school who shuts his eyes and puts his palms up and hopes for the best and we’ve got folk on here actually defending him FFS😂

not one of them could lace Jim Cruickshank’s gloves! 😊

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, TWF said:

Sooner rather than later

3 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

Positive he’s being involved, may be worth giving him a go

The “throw in Harry Stone” chat that keeps popping up is ludicrous. He’s only 17 and has been playing U18s this season with one appearance for the Colts (vs Cowdenbeath) plus bench-warming for the reserves. 

By comparison, Craig Gordon was a couple of months short of his 20th birthday when he made his debut for Hearts and had already had a spell on loan Cowdenbeath, playing 13 times for them. 

I’ve no idea how good a Harry is/may become but chucking in a GK at his age looks crazy.

40 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

The “throw in Harry Stone” chat that keeps popping up is ludicrous. He’s only 17 and has been playing U18s this season with one appearance for the Colts (vs Cowdenbeath) plus bench-warming for the reserves. 

By comparison, Craig Gordon was a couple of months short of his 20th birthday when he made his debut for Hearts and had already had a spell on loan Cowdenbeath, playing 13 times for them. 

I’ve no idea how good a Harry is/may become but chucking in a GK at his age looks crazy.

Im not sure it is crazy. Not saying he’s at the same level but Casillas & Donnarumma made their debuts at 16. 

all three senior goalkeepers are brutal. He looked better in that little cameo in the warm up, admittedly no pressure etc. but the technique looked good. 

he is obviously rated as I haven’t seen a young goalkeeper being included in the previous match shooting drills before. 

in no way am I saying chuck him in as you put it, if he isn’t ready, but if he is good enough the age doesn’t matter. I trust that Sievers will know if he is ready.

Edited by HMFC86

1 hour ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

not one of them could lace Jim Cruickshank’s gloves! 😊

Cruickshank,Niemi and Gordon the best I have seen.

Jambof3tornado

Funny feeling pereira will get the celtic game and either rise to the occasion or be garbage and allow stendel to then swap him out the team. No point playing bobby if we think we may leak 3 or 4. 

1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

He’s 18 in a couple of months and considered one of the best keeper in the country in his age group. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong to throw him in but the current lot are so bad we need to do something. 

Every shot on target is likely to go in, even cross balls which a half decent keeper would deal with are likely to lead to a goal. Celtic might not need to work to hard for goals this week it must be soul destroying for the rest of the team.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, HMFC86 said:

Im not sure it is crazy. Not saying he’s at the same level but Casillas & Donnarumma made their debuts at 16. 

all three senior goalkeepers are brutal. He looked better in that little cameo in the warm up, admittedly no pressure etc. but the technique looked good. 

he is obviously rated as I haven’t seen a young goalkeeper being included in the previous match shooting drills before. 

in no way am I saying chuck him in as you put it, if he isn’t ready, but if he is good enough the age doesn’t matter. I trust that Sievers will know if he is ready.

Don’t get me wrong. If Sievers and Stendel think HS is ready, I’ll be right behind him, desperately hoping he does well. My concern is that playing a very young and very inexperienced GK is very different to playing a similar outfield player. If the outfield player struggles, he can be nursed through by older players and quietly subbed at half time. What do you do if a young keeper loses a couple of soft early goals and looks very nervous? Hook him immediately or even at half time? Persist for the 90 minutes and risk permanently undermining his confidence?

Incidentally you are right about Donnarumma establishing himself at 16. On the other hand Iker Casillas was 18 years and five months before he played in La Liga and in Europe (he was only on the bench two year before against Rosenberg). Importantly he had spent a whole season playing for Real Madrid C at semi-pro level in the Tercera division and had also made a handful of appearances for the B team at Segunda B level before playing in the first team.

I wouldn't want to see another young keeper hounded out like Jack Hamilton.  Best to give him until next season when the pressures off or whenever he's ready.

Ricardo Shillyshally
Just now, HMFC01 said:

I wouldn't want to see another young keeper hounded out like Jack Hamilton.  Best to give him until next season when the pressures off or whenever he's ready.

Hamilton was pish. He wasn't hounded out 

I agree he didn't amount to much.  Even now he's not impressing me at Dundee.  I mean if Stone doesn't impress the fans by making mistakes he might continue to be bad.  Best to get his head right first.

3 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Bet we weren't feeling so good about "throwing in" a 16-year-old at left back when we did last season but that ones turned out no bad. 

If you're good enough you're old enough. 

My worry with Stone is that with a number of English teams sniffing around him, the only way we'll manage to keep him is to play him.

13 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Don’t get me wrong. If Sievers and Stendel think HS is ready, I’ll be right behind him, desperately hoping he does well. My concern is that playing a very young and very inexperienced GK is very different to playing a similar outfield player. If the outfield player struggles, he can be nursed through by older players and quietly subbed at half time. What do you do if a young keeper loses a couple of soft early goals and looks very nervous? Hook him immediately or even at half time? Persist for the 90 minutes and risk permanently undermining his confidence?

Incidentally you are right about Donnarumma establishing himself at 16. On the other hand Iker Casillas was 18 years and five months before he played in La Liga and in Europe (he was only on the bench two year before against Rosenberg). Importantly he had spent a whole season playing for Real Madrid C at semi-pro level in the Tercera division and had also made a handful of appearances for the B team at Segunda B level before playing in the first team.

Sorry, thought you were referring to Pereira in your first paragraph!

Strange there was no "debate" when Hickey was chosen to play in Cup Final at 16+

He was up against Forrest who was on fire, and played him off the park.

Give Harry Stone his chance he cannot be any worse than what we have at the moment, and like Hickey he has been extremely well coached by AK and JR.

All the "Star" goalkeepers already mentioned were given "their head" at an early age and I don't recall any serious misgivings from their fans at that time.

I also recall CG first game was against Falkirk in a Cup tie when he lost 4 goals. The rest is history

Give HS his chance

14 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He’s 18 in a couple of months and considered one of the best keeper in the country in his age group. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong to throw him in but the current lot are so bad we need to do something. 

Every shot on target is likely to go in, even cross balls which a half decent keeper would deal with are likely to lead to a goal. Celtic might not need to work to hard for goals this week it must be soul destroying for the rest of the team.

Yes, something should be done about the keeper situation but potentially jeopardising a young boys career is probably not the best thing to do. The thing that should hsve been done waa to sign another keeper in the January window. It really isn't that hard to get a bang average goalie from another club. Other teams do it all the time. I think the goalie situation will be, potentially, the thing that tips Hearts over the edge and down this season. As the pressure to gain points grows can you see any of these keepers improving?

Edited by TheTrumpet