Save percentages since 15/16 season:

Jon McLaughlin 77.92% (36 apps)
Neil Alexander 73.25% (40 apps)
Colin Doyle 73.08% (13 apps)
Viktor Noring 70.59% (3 apps)
Zdeněk Zlámal 67.57% (48 apps)
Jack Hamilton 63.98% (58 apps)
Joel Pereira 57.78% (23 apps)

I’m genuinely shocked by those stats.... I thought it would be nearer 30%  Anything near the goal ends up in the net! 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Jambof3tornado

• kingantti1874

If Stendel keeps picking him then you've got to blame Stendel or our  goalkeeping coach . 

He seems to be getting gradually worse as the season goes on . 

He went from terrible to horrendous . 

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If Stendel keeps picking him then you've got to blame Stendel or our  goalkeeping coach . 

He seems to be getting gradually worse as the season goes on . 

He went from terrible to horrendous . 

You can only blame Stendel for not replacing him, we had other priorities and it seems he was doing a lot of the dealings himself.

The GK coach should go in the summer with the rest of the charlatans that have left us in this mess with the three blind mice to choose from.

Jambof3tornado

Joel will play tomorrow and be either brilliant and keep his place or be shite and get dropped.

No point putting another goalie in for a trip to parkhead!!

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not what's between the ears that really matters, sadj. 👍

Long as its not whats on top of the head either cause that is rapidly disappearing too 😔

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can only blame Stendel for not replacing him, we had other priorities and it seems he was doing a lot of the dealings himself.

The GK coach should go in the summer with the rest of the charlatans that have left us in this mess with the three blind mice to choose from.

You the wrong side of the bar tonight?

Jambo, Goodbye
3 hours ago, sadj said:

Long as its not whats on top of the head either cause that is rapidly disappearing too 😔

Get yourself some Avodart 👍

17 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve heard the clauses stuff as well. You’d seriously hope not as this guy could end up seeing us relegated he really is that bad. Anything 2ft to either side of him you feel is going to end up a goal. 
If we really want a sweeper keeper we’d honestly be as well playing Souttar in goal. He can’t be any worse than this *****. 

I keep saying this every shot against him it's like he never fully extends his arms.

6 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Joel will play tomorrow and be either brilliant and keep his place or be shite and get dropped.

There could be something in this. Stendel has been ruthless where he feels he needs to be. 

jack D and coke
8 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He doesn’t have brilliant in him. Makes no saves of note quite simply because he can’t. Dives under the ball, lettuce hands, lands weirdly when he dives I’ve honestly not seen a keeper like him. I pray the defence protects him tonight or it could get ugly. 

3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

I keep saying this every shot against him it's like he never fully extends his arms.

He has so many basic faults for a keeper it’s frightening. 

10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

He doesn’t have brilliant in him. Makes no saves of note quite simply because he can’t. Dives under the ball, lettuce hands, lands weirdly when he dives I’ve honestly not seen a keeper like him. I pray the defence protects him tonight or it could get ugly. 

But gets signed by Manchester United, something far wrong somewhere.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

But gets signed by Manchester United, something far wrong somewhere.

Utterly bizarre mate. Basic goalkeeping skills are literally nil. 

8 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Makes sense. It would just risk whatever confidence Zlamal might have built up in training. Better to let Pereira take the hit, and then change (unless of course he suddenly plays a blinder).

35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

There is a reason he hardly got any game time at Rochdale and we are seeing it.

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That doesn’t surprise me. 

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Utterly bizarre mate. Basic goalkeeping skills are literally nil. 

The game against Killie showed every flaw he had. His positioning and movement for the second goal is terrible. He starts in the wrong place, he then hesitates, makes a forward movement, realises that’s wrong then rushes towards the player. In the end it’s a goal but the striker actually gives him more chances to recover than he should’ve got. If he takes a better first touch he’s got a pass into the net to the keepers left, the gap is still there but he opts for another touch then finally as JP goes to ground early he lifts it. You can clearly hear Halkett shout ‘stay in your ****ing goal’ which is exactly where he should’ve been! As for the 3rd he makes himself smaller by crouching down he has to stay big all he needs is a touch doesn’t need to be a great save just a touch a it goes over or wide, it’s embarrassing how bad the guy is.

Jambof3tornado
41 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I cant see the defence protecting him for 90 minutes, at some point he needs to catch the ball. Maybe used up all his good fortune v falkirk with blessed woodwork!!!

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

The game against Killie showed every flaw he had. His positioning and movement for the second goal is terrible. He starts in the wrong place, he then hesitates, makes a forward movement, realises that’s wrong then rushes towards the player. In the end it’s a goal but the striker actually gives him more chances to recover than he should’ve got. If he takes a better first touch he’s got a pass into the net to the keepers left, the gap is still there but he opts for another touch then finally as JP goes to ground early he lifts it. You can clearly hear Halkett shout ‘stay in your ****ing goal’ which is exactly where he should’ve been! As for the 3rd he makes himself smaller by crouching down he has to stay big all he needs is a touch doesn’t need to be a great save just a touch a it goes over or wide, it’s embarrassing how bad the guy is.

The first goal against Killie was just shocking defending tbh. Clare showed zero conviction challenging Findlay and for a centre half that’s begging to be put away. Could Perriera have done better? It’s hard to know because he just doesn’t make any saves and his positioning and decision making is awful. The second and third however are horrendous examples of just how pish poor he is. The 3rd just being laughable for a professional goalkeeper. It’s like he wasn’t there ffs. 

Edited by jack D and coke

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I cant see the defence protecting him for 90 minutes, at some point he needs to catch the ball. Maybe used up all his good fortune v falkirk with blessed woodwork!!!

The main thing for me was Hamilton lost last night tbh. We might as well try take something tonight and then turn the focus to Saturday. 
One thing im almost certain can’t happen is we can’t rely on Perriera to have a stormer. We need the defence to be tight and hope for a bit of luck tonight. 

15 minutes ago, James1874f said:

Maybe Hearts are trying out some new technology using a Hologram for a goalkeeper ? 

Needs to be tweaked so that it at least makes itself look big to put off the striker.

On 09/02/2020 at 12:37, DC_HMFC said:

Not sticking up for Pereira but how does the post save him? Hitting the woodwork is a shot off target so how can that possibly "save" him?

saved him as in he has a 53% save percentage hes been playing sh1te for months the worst save % in the whole league and our worst keeper for decades.

if the ball is an inch either side ur looking at a 5-2 pumping

1 hour ago, James1874f said:

Maybe Hearts are trying out some new technology using a Hologram for a goalkeeper ? 

cant believe i missed this great comment lol post saved him again falkirk anaw or it could have been 2-1/3-1

The Old Tolbooth

That explains a lot! :lol: 

Corstorphine Jambo
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I mentioned to my mates a few weeks ago about his low crouching position - I felt for Rangers goal he was crouched too low to start with (although it was a decent goal). It’s like a five-a-side goalie’s starting position where you don’t have to worry about the goal being 8ft tall.

i was in the Roseburn Stand right behind the Killie third. It’s hit hard but it’s right at him. Terrible goalkeeping and I’m not surprised he has the lowest save percentage in the league.

22 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I mentioned to my mates a few weeks ago about his low crouching position - I felt for Rangers goal he was crouched too low to start with (although it was a decent goal). It’s like a five-a-side goalie’s starting position where you don’t have to worry about the goal being 8ft tall.

i was in the Roseburn Stand right behind the Killie third. It’s hit hard but it’s right at him. Terrible goalkeeping and I’m not surprised he has the lowest save percentage in the league.

When they're hit that hard 9/10 times any touch from the keeper tends to be enough, but when you duck out the way its time to admit goalkeeping maybe isn't for you!!

1 hour ago, Masonic said:

cant believe i missed this great comment lol post saved him again falkirk anaw or it could have been 2-1/3-1

56 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That explains a lot! :lol: 

Hopefully he has a blinder makes me eat my words 😂

28 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I said this about Mignolet and saw him caught out several times because of it. JP reminds me of him in some ways and has been caught out in some very similar situations to some Mignolet howlers. They both crouch low then try to bat at shots when just standing tall and making yourself big is the much easier approach. You'd think that knowing how to make yourself big to make it more difficult to score would be something you'd learn in Goalkeeping For Dummies! 

3 minutes ago, James1874f said:

He might be better with a blindfold - might stop him shitting it from the ball!!

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, sadj said:

You the wrong side of the bar tonight?

Sober as a judge. I think it’s been his only mistake so far, but there was so much needing done in a short time that he didn’t get round to it. Who knows what deal Levein tied us into with Perriera and Man Utd.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I said this about Mignolet and saw him caught out several times because of it. JP reminds me of him in some ways and has been caught out in some very similar situations to some Mignolet howlers. They both crouch low then try to bat at shots when just standing tall and making yourself big is the much easier approach. You'd think that knowing how to make yourself big to make it more difficult to score would be something you'd learn in Goalkeeping For Dummies! 

Absolutely, there must be photos of Schmeichel around Old Trafford and Carrington. Videos of him one on one with strikers should be mandatory for any GK.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Do you think that could be the reason there’s allegedly financial penalties if he doesn’t play?

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely, there must be photos of Schmeichel around Old Trafford and Carrington. Videos of him one on one with strikers should be mandatory for any GK.

You'd think so! It's actually mental how poor a goalkeeper he is considering how long he's been at Man Utd for as you'd think that they could turn even the least naturally talented keepers into something decent! When I heard we were signing him I was rubbing my hands together thinking it was a total coup. How wrong I was....

29 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We used to have a kid on our books from Balerno that would do (still does) just that, as well as being a fantastic athletic shotstopper.

We did get £9m for him though.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

You'd think so! It's actually mental how poor a goalkeeper he is considering how long he's been at Man Utd for as you'd think that they could turn even the least naturally talented keepers into something decent! When I heard we were signing him I was rubbing my hands together thinking it was a total coup. How wrong I was....

Me too, even watching his first training session on social media where he was catching the ball and saving shots made me think we had a good GK at last. I remember Niemi saying it was more difficult up here as the shots didn’t go where you were expecting them to go, but you couldn’t use that as an excuse for most of his mistakes. It doesn’t reflect well on Man Utd’s GK coaching or scouts.

Edited by Pasquale for King

52 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He might be better with a blindfold - might stop him shitting it from the ball!!

I’ll be watching the game with a blindfold on if he starts 😂

The Old Tolbooth

He'll probably just continue to play like he's blind! 

It won’t let me upload photos for some strange reason.

People have mentioned that Joel isn’t at fault for the killie opener, he 100% is. The corner is given from him turning his body away from a shot from 2 yards off the byline, no attempt at staying big or even trying to make the save. The corner then comes in and before it hits Naismiths head and loops up, Joel had made the decision to come for the corner. Due to this he’s out of position for the header, a header that’s straight at him. 

His positioning for the 2nd Falkirk shot that hits the post is an embarrassment. The shot comes in from about 16 yards, and at the corner of the box. The boy has two hearts players on him yet Joel’s starting position is about 3 yards past his near post, basically leaving the goal unattended. I have no idea what is running through his head. 

Joel drops the ball twice, unchallenged at Falkirk as well. One of the times he almost drops the ball at the feet of a Falkirk striker. Tonight he faces the best striker in the league in Eduoard. Any errors in positioning, catching or distribution will be punished. I really hope Stendel doesn’t start him. It’s a difficult task with a strong keeper, it’ll be almost impossible with Joel. 

I'm thinking that after tonight, Bobby will be in for the next 2 games at least.

If there is the rumoured financial penalty for not playing Pereira we will have to pay it.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Me too, even watching his first training session on social media where he was catching the ball and saving shots made me think we had a good GK at last. I remember Niemi saying it was more difficult up here as the shots didn’t go where you were expecting them to go, but you couldn’t use that as an excuse for most of his mistakes. It doesn’t reflect well on Man Utd’s GK coaching or scouts.

Totally agree. I don't know if its a factor but that yellow Mitre ball is really light and seems to move in the air a lot. Sometimes when keepers are punting it long it almost floats to an extent so I wouldn't fancy trying to read its trajectory from a shot with a bit of power behind it. I've had a kickabout with one and its really nowhere near as heavy as footballs used to be - it's like a balloon.

Agree that the style of play up here is probably different to what used to though - lots of scuffed shots, deflections and scrappy goals, which are obviously very hard or sometimes impossible to read. Sometimes its not about reading where the ball is going though and its better just to make yourself big, which as I've said above is something JP is guilty of. 

Obviously all the other keepers in the league need to deal with that these same factors though, so...

Edited by Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Totally agree. I don't know if its a factor but that yellow Mitre ball is really light and seems to move in the air a lot. Sometimes when keepers are punting it long it almost floats to an extent so I wouldn't fancy trying to read its trajectory from a shot with a bit of power behind it. I've had a kickabout with one and its really nowhere near as heavy as footballs used to be - it's like a balloon.

Agree that the style of play up here is probably different to what used to though - lots of scuffed shots, deflections and scrappy goals, which are obviously very hard or sometimes impossible to read. Sometimes its not about reading where the ball is going though and its better just to make yourself big, which as I've said above is something JP is guilty of. 

Obviously all the other keepers in the league need to deal with that these same factors though, so...

Absolutely. The new way of kicking the ball from hand, to drive it as low as possible ,makes it harder to defenders. JP kicks it like this, the other two and the majority of GKs in our league lump it high giving defenders time to get set and win the header. It will be interesting to find out what the deal is with Man Utd and why we didn’t send him back and replace him.

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

It won’t let me upload photos for some strange reason.

People have mentioned that Joel isn’t at fault for the killie opener, he 100% is. The corner is given from him turning his body away from a shot from 2 yards off the byline, no attempt at staying big or even trying to make the save. The corner then comes in and before it hits Naismiths head and loops up, Joel had made the decision to come for the corner. Due to this he’s out of position for the header, a header that’s straight at him. 

His positioning for the 2nd Falkirk shot that hits the post is an embarrassment. The shot comes in from about 16 yards, and at the corner of the box. The boy has two hearts players on him yet Joel’s starting position is about 3 yards past his near post, basically leaving the goal unattended. I have no idea what is running through his head. 

Joel drops the ball twice, unchallenged at Falkirk as well. One of the times he almost drops the ball at the feet of a Falkirk striker. Tonight he faces the best striker in the league in Eduoard. Any errors in positioning, catching or distribution will be punished. I really hope Stendel doesn’t start him. It’s a difficult task with a strong keeper, it’ll be almost impossible with Joel. 

All fair points. The Falkirk gk caught everything thrown at him and looked much more like a Man Utd gk that JP did.

I’ll be watching the game with a blindfold on if he starts 😂

You’d probably still catch more balls though.

Any shot hit with pace and on target is likely to go in with Pereria in goals. He should have saved Hamiton's 2nd goal back in December when he basically palmed the ball into the net. He should have done much better with the recent Rangers goal at Tynecastle and was at fault for at least 2 of the Kilmarnock goals. Particularly the 3rd goal which any decent goalkeeper would have saved.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you think that could be the reason there’s allegedly financial penalties if he doesn’t play?

Feck knows I know nothing about that.Have my doubts it's even true , I think he is just seen as the best choice by the management to be honest.Like so many keepers in the modern game shot stopping almost feels secondary to what the coaches look for.

54 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

I'm thinking that after tonight, Bobby will be in for the next 2 games at least.

If there is the rumoured financial penalty for not playing Pereira we will have to pay it.

Pereira won't have to pay anything. What I do think may happen is that if he throws a few in tonight/has a horror show then a conversation with Man United's loans director or whoever will take place about taking Joel out of the firing line. It's in no ones interests for him to be turned into (even more) of a joke figure. Wouldn't reflect well on either club so I suspect an agreement would be reached quite easily.

Edited by TheTrumpet

been here before

I recall reading about the first American soldier to hit the beaches on D-Day. His instruction were coldly clear- "just get as far as you can". Ahead of him lay waist high water, mines, trenches, anti tank traps, barbed wire, artillary shells, grenades and machine gun bullets. The expectation was that as the commander of the first craft in the first wave he, along with his colleagues, had no chance and they would be slaughtered and butchered within seconds of the landing craft door opening.

I have a similar feeling of foreboding terminality and fear for our defence tonight protecting a goal with Pereira in it.

On a more positive note the soldier in question, Captain Leonard Schroeder survived D-Day despite the Germans best attempts and being shot a couple of times in an arm. He lived to the age of 90.

Edited by been here before

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, TheTrumpet said:

Pereira won't have to pay anything. What I do think may happen is that if he throws a few in tonight/has a horror show then a conversation with Man United's loans director or whoever will take place about taking Joel out of the firing line. It's in no ones interests for him to be turned into (even more) of a joke figure. Wouldn't reflect well on either club so I suspect an agreement would be reached quite easily.

The Loans arranger is a guy called Les Parry but a guy called Alan Fettis looks after the GKs, ironic seeing as they’ve sent us a cowboy who should be reported to the Police under the trades description act. Any further loan deals from them should be scrutinised from a playing and financial stand point.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/the-story-of-how-man-utd-handle-the-loan-process