Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, I agree. It's truly sad how the unthinking fear-mongers in charge have caused folk to wrap bit of cloth around their faces even when they are nowhere near anyone else. It's the same with folk who cannot contemplate walking past someone on the pavement without making a song and dance about keeping 2m away. 'sakes.

Anyway, my new theory is that it must be the joggers who are the superspreaders. They pound the pavements, breathing heavily, passing lots of folk on their way. Snipers on the rooftops to take them out.

Oh I agree them and cyclists lol nippy 

5 minutes ago, kila said:

It won't be all doom and gloom forever mate. The world has made good progress with treatments and vaccines over the summer, so while restrictions may be needed for now, there is still plenty hope.

👍👍

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh yes I think I know who u mean ? Can I ask what happened and who’s Ben ? Terrible news. . I think he was the manager ? 

Ben and Al co-managed the pub. Major heart attack I believe. So sad. He had 2 young kids as far as I know.

Just now, jonesy said:

Is her second tweet something like this?

"2/ ...but, just for shits and giggles, we're going full lockdown at five minutes before whenever the buffoon in London announces it. Feck ye's aw, Nikki xxx #Freedumb"

Was something along the lines of 'like and subscribe'

38 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Why do they keeping get it so wrong then Einstein? 

Apart from some disastrous decision making at the start fundamentally they don't get it wrong. They haven't got it wrong at the moment either. Things do change and so responses have to be moderated e.g. yesterday's face mask in schools announcement. They are often slow to react because of competing interests but in Scotland at least every decision and the reasoning behind it is explained in detail every day. Nonsense questions from the Press create more confusion than clarity e.g when is a cafe a restaurant or why cant we all have the same rules right across the UK? Lots of irresponsible people having raves, house parties, and generally undermining the health protection message because they dont understand the issues think that behaving responsibly is an infringement of their human rights. 

Somebody said a few posts back that in Scotland we have a glimmer of a chance that our measures will work,. I agree. That will not happen though if the flat earthers on here are representative of Scottish society generally. We have had lots of people telling us that there wouldn't be  second wave and when it came they said where are the hospitalisations and when they came the said where are the deaths and when they came they said, the numbers were low and these people were going to die anyway. These people's deaths were described as "trivial". We were told that the virus was weakening, we are told that it does not spread much in hospitality but this week a report showed a surge as a direct result of the government's eat out to help out scheme.

We were told masks don't work and miracle cures are just around the corner. They wanted and still do want the old and frail shut out of society unless they want to take a very unequal risk with the younger stronger age groups. We are told the long term effects of covid, (long covid if you like) was not really a thing but now because of improved treatment people that may previously have died are remaining alive with varying degrees of debilitation.

All this and more all contributes to a less effective health protection outcome. It's absolutely crystal clear that had we observed the guidelines rigidly since the lockdown we would be in a much stronger position today. People are losing their, lives, jobs and livelihoods not because of government policy but because of public irresponsibility and stupidity. None of the politicians or scientists or any other advisors want this situation.  

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Ben and Al co-managed the pub. Major heart attack I believe. So sad. He had 2 young kids as far as I know.

Sad times man. I drank in there quite a bit before and after games. With Spacey :lol:  He was a top lad, they both are. 
RIP Alan mate🇱🇻

For those of us in Scotland, here's a picture of the cases over the last 7 days compared to the other UK nations. We must be doing something right. :thumbsup:

792517768_Screenshotat2020-10-3113-33-35.png.eb2439c913cfaa7a5aa7e7379f300cdc.png

Governor Tarkin
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Had one lycra clad cow shout at my kids for meandering along the pavement as she tried to 'get in her 5k' or whatever crap these losers do. Ensured she heard the 'And that would be the type of woman you wouldn't want to marry,' comment. Her face was priceless.

**** you, jonesy, a wee 5k a couple of times a week keeps me off the booze for 20 minutes or so and the blood pressure stable. Near perpetual masturbarltion doesn't work for all of us you know, so less of your 'I'm alrighty Jack' attitude pls.

I draw the line at lycra mind.

15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Had one lycra clad cow shout at my kids for meandering along the pavement as she tried to 'get in her 5k' or whatever crap these losers do. Ensured she heard the 'And that would be the type of woman you wouldn't want to marry,' comment. Her face was priceless.

:)

16 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Very sad news . I liked their quiz night . 

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

**** you, jonesy, a wee 5k a couple of times a week keeps me off the booze for 20 minutes or so and the blood pressure stable. Near perpetual masturbarltion doesn't work for all of us you know, so less of your 'I'm alrighty Jack' attitude pls.

I draw the line at lycra mind.

You were always into the fancier stuff.

Governor Tarkin
12 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Nonsense questions from the Press create more confusion than clarity e.g when is a cafe a restaurant?  

Right then, Einstein, when is a cafe a restaurant then?

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It’s the speed they go at on bikes and in pavements sometimes which does my brain in 

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Didn't happen. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:yas: Christmas is always busy with Amazon. Just don't get papped with Flats. Nightmare. But wait, lockdown, everyone should be in.

:rudiyas:

Hopefully building sites stay open. 

:robboyas:

Hopefully my tax rebate finally comes through this week so I can take time off. 

:robbo:

tax rebate, hope so bud, you deserve it.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

You were always into the fancier stuff.

8/10 would recommend.

As a man of the sea I've frequented several drinking establishments across the far east where every refreshment is served with a happy ending.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s the speed they go at on bikes and in pavements sometimes which does my brain in 

Being serious here, it should be compulsory to have a bell and use it. The number of times I've jumped out of my skin when a bike has sped past me on a woodland path when just before I've been walking along lost in my thoughts with only birdsong to keep me company. All they needed to do was call out a wee bit beforehand that they were going to pass me. It's a complete lack of empathy.

Just now, jonesy said:

My daily walk to work takes me along Mayfield Road and up Causewayside. Never budge for a cyclist. Joggers may get a pass if a) fit bursds or b) bigger and tougher than me.

I imagine that many fit both a) and b), no? ;)

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

8/10 would recommend.

As a man of the sea I've frequented several drinking establishments across the far east where every refreshment is served with a happy ending.

I did get offered one after a haircut in Thailand once. My girlfriend, who was there with me in the barbers at the time, advised me that she preferred I decline the invitation.

Brighton Jambo

What annoys me is these multiple scientists and their predictions.  They are completely unaccountable for what they say.  For example there is an article on BBC today where various scientists give the predictions.  One of them predicts it will be years or decades before we are anything like back to normal.

That might be his opinion but the level of anxiety these predictions cause people when they are taken in isolation or without context is untold.  I don’t want them to lie or be gagged but they should not just keep going to to the press with these predictions without being more educated on the wider ramifications of them.  It’s just so irresponsible.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Being serious here, it should be compulsory to have a bell and use it. The number of times I've jumped out of my skin when a bike has sped past me on a woodland path when just before I've been walking along lost in my thoughts with only birdsong to keep me company. All they needed to do was call out a wee bit beforehand that they were going to pass me. It's a complete lack of empathy.

Completely Agree Red even worse walking along the canal trying to dodge joggers and cyclists 

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What annoys me is these scientists and their predictions.  They are completely unaccountable for what they say.  For example there is an article on BBC today where various scientists give the predictions.  One of them predicts it will be years or decades before we are anything like back to normal.

That might be his opinion but the level of anxiety these predictions cause people when they are taken in isolation or without context is untold.  I don’t want them to lie or be gagged but they should not just keep going to to the press with these predictions without being more educated on the wider ramifications of them.  It’s just so irresponsible.  

The papers can't really post every day that no one knows anything so they will it with opinions based on guesswork

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I did get offered one after a haircut in Thailand once. My girlfriend, who was there with me in the barbers at the time, advised me that she preferred I decline the invitation.

Ha Ha, quality.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My daily walk to work takes me along Mayfield Road and up Causewayside. Never budge for a cyclist. Joggers may get a pass if a) fit bursds or b) bigger and tougher than me.

What about if they are “ bigger tough fit birds” ? Lol 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Completely Agree Red even worse walking along the canal trying to dodge joggers and cyclists 

Is that you on your way to a dogging spot?

What annoys me is these multiple scientists and their predictions.  They are completely unaccountable for what they say.  For example there is an article on BBC today where various scientists give the predictions.  One of them predicts it will be years or decades before we are anything like back to normal.

Think that's a problem with the press, not the scientists. 

Boris' press conference moved already. 5pm now. None of us will see it. 

We disagree on many things, BJ, but that annoys me greatly too. No-one knows how this is going to pan out. It is indeed irresponsible of them.

41 minutes ago, kila said:

It won't be all doom and gloom forever mate. The world has made good progress with treatments and vaccines over the summer, so while restrictions may be needed for now, there is still plenty hope.

👍

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thought I saw you near the coast the other day...

1200-44071586-fat-man-jogging.jpg

I was the other guy.

aAdb9tJ.gif?noredirect

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

🤣

:seething:

Scottish numbers: 31 October 2020

Summary

• 1,101 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-280]
  • 24 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+6]
  • 80 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-3]
  • 1,149 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-21]
  • 20,570 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.2% of these were positive

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

What annoys me is these scientists and their predictions.  They are completely unaccountable for what they say.  For example there is an article on BBC today where various scientists give the predictions.  One of them predicts it will be years or decades before we are anything like back to normal.

Thing is though BJ, dripping/leaking genuine, adverse information if is far better for the psyche/heart, than bang, there it's!...:shockio:

Today's per-board per-100,000 case stats:

Scotland 20 [-3]

Lanarkshire 49 [+9], Greater Glasgow 32 [-10], Ayrshire 23 [=], Fife 13 [+3], Lothian 13 [-8], Forth Valley 12 [-2], Dumfries & Galloway 10 [-1], Tayside 10 [-11].

All the rest: less than 10.

AlphonseCapone
43 minutes ago, redjambo said:

For those of us in Scotland, here's a picture of the cases over the last 7 days compared to the other UK nations. We must be doing something right. :thumbsup:

792517768_Screenshotat2020-10-3113-33-35.png.eb2439c913cfaa7a5aa7e7379f300cdc.png

Mad fish oot! 

Brighton Jambo
7 minutes ago, OBE said:

Thing is though BJ, dripping/leaking genuine, adverse information if is far better for the psyche/heart, than bang, there it's!...:shockio:

Yeah I get that and if this was information being drip fed by government I could understand the logic.  But if it isn’t that, and I suspect it isn’t and it’s just a scientist answering a journalists questions, it feels irresponsible as people will take it as a given, particularly those already struggling with all this.  

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Scientists can only advise. It is down to the top dogs of government that follows. 

Does JKB experts count?

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Quick Q that I've been thinking about for a while...

Are these tests for people who have reported symptoms and gone to a testing centre? Do they include folk already receiving treatment and being tested in hospital? 

I know it's lazy of me, jonesy, but can you have a look at https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-data-definitions-and-sources/ and see if that answers your question? If it doesn't, then I personally have no idea.

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

Would we be over this of everyone had stuck to the guidelines?  

The $64,000 question, the answer to which will be necessarily subjective. I personally think that we wouldn't be "over it" as we would still be under threat from out-of-the-country infections, I imagine that some transmission is very difficult to contain anyway, and the guidelines haven't always been applied quickly or sufficiently enough (Greater Glasgow, for example). However, with a lot more rigour we could have found ourselves in a New Zealand-type situation. Real life is real life though, and I think we've found out now that human psychology is a huge factor, particularly the inability of so many to stick to the guidelines. It's only recently, for example, that police in England have been dishing out £10,000 fines - they could have taken a hard stance like this a long while ago.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

The $64,000 question, the answer to which will be necessarily subjective. I personally think that we wouldn't be "over it" as we would still be under threat from out-of-the-country infections, I imagine that some transmission is very difficult to contain anyway, and the guidelines haven't always been applied quickly or sufficiently enough (Greater Glasgow, for example). However, with a lot more rigour we could have found ourselves in a New Zealand-type situation. Real life is real life though, and I think we've found out now that human psychology is a huge factor, particularly the inability of so many to stick to the guidelines. It's only recently, for example, that police in England have been dishing out £10,000 fines - they could have taken a hard stance like this a long while ago.

I was thinking about all the other factors involved while typing and didn't think we would've been over it by now.  Good answer thanks 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic