Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

No briefing, in Parliament at 3.20

I wish I hadn’t clicked on her twitter. 
Unbelievable how much arse licking going on, telling us how she’s a great leader and doing a brilliant job at keeping us all safe and they can’t wait to hear from her today 🙄🙄🙄  

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlphonseCapone
9 minutes ago, jonesy said:

My point (which I'll try to avoid becoming a rant) is that the certainty with which these public figures make and subsequently change their proclamations should hardly inspire confidence that they are leading us anywhere useful. My 'concern' (to use the SG's and @redjambo's favourite term 😛 ) is that decisions are being made for short term (arguably political) gain, and not in the best long-term interests of the people.

I see what you mean and agree they should be more cautious with language. I think the problem here is, and he should know better considering his qualifications, is that things shouldn’t be stated unequivocally and should employ more cautious language, "the evidence doesn't currently support... Etc". That's how scientific research describes findings, "suggests", "points to" etc. Never definitive as you're only one piece of research or evidence away from something like Galileo proving the world isn't the centre of the universe. 

I think they are deer caught in the headlights. I don't think there is political motivation there. I just genuinely believe they don't have a clue how to get us out of this beyond praying a vaccine solves it all. I'm less optimistic it'll be the silver bullet. 

Malinga the Swinga
47 minutes ago, Victorian said:

An annoying thing is that the people who have chucked in the towel still stand to benefit ftom the efforts of all the people who are trying their best.  Ir's a bit like the anti-vaxxer weirdos who will refuse to take any vaccine.  The great majority who do take the vaccine will be responsible for there being much less virus around.  Very few people around to infect others.  The anti-vaxxer twats will reap the benefit of not coming into contact with infectious people.  They'll proudly claim their avoidance of virus proves the vaccine wasn't necessary.

The majority will protect the feckless.

That is how life operates. No sane government would make taking a vaccine mandatory, as it would lead to law suits and trouble down the line should anything untoward occur. 

Would you prefer that we inject virus into non vaccine takers, just so that you can see others suffer and fuel your self righteousness? 

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Who cares whether she is amused or not? So what if they are in tier 2. The decision will be based on the evidence they have and the inferences they can make from it. She can demand answers if she likes but it would be better if she waited till after today's debate on the matter where the interests of all Borders residents can be considered more comprehensively.

Arran has several cases of the virus and because of that it may well have the highest incidence of the virus in the country.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18811223.arran-coronavirus-positive-cases-island-first-time-months/  It is not uncommon for this virus to be absent from one community and then for there to be sudden increase. This happens because people come from outside and bring the virus with them.  Current restrictions were put in place to prevent this as much as possible and it seems that for around 4 months they were successful.

If people from Edinburgh are going to the Borders to drink and eat they are not evading the restrictions, they are breaking them.

What I really object to though is the litany of ill informed, inflammatory statements made by you on this forum. It’s not the SG that doesn’t understand, it’s you. If you are going to post a definitive statement e.g. there are no Covid cases in Arran you could at least check to see that it is true. You seem to have little respect for people on here as you do this repeatedly and I have challenged you about it before.

Upset much?

Challenged me about what?

I dont see you as being much of a challenge, frankly.

but then we are diametrically opposed on this, and many other things too.

And the article was last week.

And she is rihgt to be angry. arbitrary decisions destroying peoples livelihoods are wrong. people deserve an explanation as to why their lives are being wrecked

3 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Wonder what president chump will make of the new findings that immunity only has a short shelf life

Won't worry him at all, as he's gotta have the worlds best immune system that the doctors have never seen the likes off before.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

BBC one o'clock news is an absolute joy again today.

:muggy:

I tend to just switch channels when items like this come on. Actually rarely watch BBC news. I used to like Channel 4 news but they are getting just as hysterical as the BBC. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Yeah I was kind of taking the piss. Always something I've wanted to give a go, guess it's a case of accepting that you're gonna be hopeless for a while.

So many good instructional videos in social media just now. I’ve just started playing again since lockdown ended and got the bug for it once more. I’m not alone on here in picking up some old hobbies that just sort of fell away as life gets in the way. It’s obviously something that you can do in these times, bit cold just now right enough. 
I took some videos of my swing and been trying to fix it since 😆

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I tend to just switch channels when items like this come on. Actually rarely watch BBC news. I used to like Channel 4 news but they are getting just as hysterical as the BBC. 

All you need is the headlines, unless you want to wait for some fluff piece about some poor ******* raising money for something the Govt should be paying for or some fake history. 

Malinga the Swinga
18 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Who cares whether she is amused or not? So what if they are in tier 2. Nicola knows everything and she will make decision based on whatever evidence her husband tells her exists. She can demand answers but I love NS and that's all that matters. Current restrictions were put in place a couple of weeks ago and they need to be changed before anyone can see whether they were successful or not.

What I really object to though is you holding a different point of view to Nicola.If you are going to post a definitive statement, please make it a positive one about her. She is great and I love her. You seem to have little respect for people on here who love Nicola as you do this repeatedly and If you don't stop it, I will scream and scream until I am sick.

How response comes over

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Tenaciousdandy
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Won't worry him at all, as he's gotta have the worlds best immune system that the doctors have never seen the likes off before.

Yep just look at how quickly he recovered from "having" the virus 

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Its not the variance I am talking about-

its the fact there is NO POINT IN THEIR SYSTEM WHERE THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS.

If you start a scale at 0 then that is 0.

tier 0 should be "normal"  ie no restrictions what so ever, no twitchers or snitchers, no closed anything , no distancing.

There is no normality built into the scottish tier system ( and I dont give a shiny shit what happens in England or if our scales match theirs or not, because I dont live there any more than I do in wales)

When we return to normal we don't have any tiers whatsoever. 

Just now, coconut doug said:

The Spanish Flu pandemic lasted over 2 years.

Is anyone making any realistic contingency for such a scenario?

If not why not?

And what is the "end " of the pandemic- how many cases is the number before the tier system ends?

0 cases in Scotland, or 0 cases globally ? As I dont think that is realistic under any scenario including a vaccine being found- flu vaccine did not eradicate flu- it becomes an annual cyclical event- as Covid might.

Scottish numbers: 27 October 2020

Summary

• 1,327 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+205]
  • 25 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+24]
  • 82 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-8]
  • 1,100 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+48]
  • 17,143 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 8.7% of these were positive

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not good indeed 

and 25 deaths 

9700 people a year die because they cannot afford to heat their houses- roughly 26 people per day.

Statistics will tell you whatever you want

manaliveits105
10 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Just tiers for souvenirs 

Sir Ken Dodd obituary | Stage | The Guardian

Per-board per-100,000 infection stats:

Lanarkshire 52 [+11], Greater Glasgow 38 [+2], Ayrshire 26 [=], Lothian 22 [+10], Forth Valley 20 [+6], Dumfries & Galloway 17 [+4], Tayside 15 [+1], Fife 10 [-1].

All others: less than 10.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

9700 people a year die because they cannot afford to heat their houses- roughly 26 people per day.

Common sense will also tell you that the above statistic won't vary significantly depending on the level of interaction between people. 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

My point (which I'll try to avoid becoming a rant) is that the certainty with which these public figures make and subsequently change their proclamations should hardly inspire confidence that they are leading us anywhere useful. My 'concern' (to use the SG's and @redjambo's favourite term 😛 ) is that decisions are being made for short term (arguably political) gain, and not in the best long-term interests of the people.

Nothing gets past you. :D

30 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

Yep just look at how quickly he recovered from "having" the virus 

The cold virus is most likely what he had.

45 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That is how life operates. No sane government would make taking a vaccine mandatory, as it would lead to law suits and trouble down the line should anything untoward occur. 

Would you prefer that we inject virus into non vaccine takers, just so that you can see others suffer and fuel your self righteousness? 

It's not self righteous to recognise that some people are opting themselves out of our mutually beneficial efforts.   Make no effort but benefit from the effort of others.  I see the non-effort of others as a bit gutless.  No stomach for the sacrifices required to get all of us back to normal.

Self righteousness?  No.  Contempt?  Yes.

Governor Tarkin
45 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I took some videos of my swing and been trying to fix it since 😆

Put the clubs down. You need to save your arm strength for pulling pints.

42 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

How response comes over

:sadrobbo: more or less.

27 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

1327 new cases

Excellent.

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

oh look lothian infection rate appears to have taken a hike in time for Sturgone slapping Edinburgh in tier 3

Are you suggesting that the figures have been massaged by the health board?

If so, that's pretty much paranoid conspiracy-level stuff, if you don't mind me saying.

Objectively speaking, one day's figures shouldn't ever be used to make decisions anyway.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Why not? Humans are very resourceful and resilient. We live with the flu, despite it killing large number of folk each year. You only have to look at New Zealand to see how normality can be re-obtained. In several years time, COVID-19 will be as much a footnote in history as the Spanish Flu. Life goes on, and so will the human race.

I read somewhere that some believe all ‘colds’ started off like this.  Either spontaneous viral mutation and / or regular exposure to ‘cold’ (ie Coronavirus) viruses makes colds the usually mild inconvenience that they are.

Don’t know how long it will take though....

21 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Enough of your endless downplaying of this serious virus.

Just now, manaliveits105 said:

no just sods law

Ah, that I agree with, m105. You could have almost guaranteed it, and folk in the Lothians could have done without it.

Now that the figures are up, Lothian's figure of 22 new infections per 100,000 is broken up thusly:

West Lothian 42, East Lothian 23, Midlothian 22, City 15.

7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

1300ish isnt that bad is it? Considering weekend catch up etc it seems to be levelling off. 

It's less than a week ago (1,456) but we were catching up from the reporting backlog incident then. It's also less than yesterday's 7-day average of 1,452 (which obviously includes said catch-up). So, still elevated, but no reason to run screaming into the mountains, imo. Yet. ;)

Edited by redjambo

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

:lol: internet shambolics leaking into real life again, nothing to worry about. 

I guessed it wasn't an Edinburgh Councillor as they are milking the virus to force through anti-car road changes under emergency measures for Covid!

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I guessed it wasn't an Edinburgh Councillor as they are milking the virus to force through anti-car road changes under emergency measures for Covid!

Happening all over mate. Causing chaos that nobody will be accountable for.

Edited by SE16 3LN

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

GIRUY East Lothian, not looking so clever now is it you clarty *******s!!!

Sorry, got a wee bit carried away their, I'll get back in my Covid ridden Lanarkshire box now.

:D

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

That a UK wide figure? I've seen figures from 3000-16,000 deaths in the UK annually from fuel poverty, tragic as it is easily solvable. I bet most of those would fair pretty badly if they caught Covid.

Not if politicians did the less glamorous stuff, you know, like heating poor peoples houses and putting food in the kids bellies.

Comparably small sums of money to save countless lives and futures going forwards.

UK govt ( with Scottish prompting for more spending) has spent £300 billion trying to curb a virus that is a risk to the incredibly old and frail, whilst refusing to heat the homes of the incredibly vulnerable, and put food in the bellies of the really young.

NObody seems to give a crap

husref musemic
2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

No briefing, in Parliament at 3.20

i wonder what the simpletons who need her to read the big numbers from the telly got on today.

5 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

GIRUY East Lothian, not looking so clever now is it you clarty *******s!!!

Sorry, got a wee bit carried away there, I'll get back in my Covid ridden Lanarkshire box now.

That was all you mingers fi the smoke driving through East Lothian with your windows down en route to wherever you could get a Sabbath roast and a jar...:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'm not going to argue with you about the money they were able to find for this but not to save lives through poverty every year.

I will call you out for saying that we should not be saving the lives of the elderly and frail, that is pretty much what the NHS is for isn't it?

Not saying its not.

HOwever the reponse has been utterly over the score, with no consideration to anything else.

Of course the elderly and frail should be protected and treated.

My concern is that this attempt has been done at the probable cost of hundreds of thousands of other lives through poverty, suicide, missed diagnoses etc etc.

When it became apparent early doors who was vulnerable to this, the focus should have been changed

-everyone over 75 in yer hooses full time- not out at all- all food delivered gratis + amazon firestick/sky whatever

- care homes locked down with staff screened to high heaven .

-shielding categories locked down in their houses and not allowed out at all- govt covers all their wages until it passes.

Its not ever going to be perfect, but this mish mash is never ending .

36 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Put the clubs down. You need to save your arm strength for pulling pints.

:sadrobbo: more or less.

Excellent.

How is this excellent mate?

19 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

i wonder what the simpletons who need her to read the big numbers from the telly got on today.

What does that even mean?

39 minutes ago, husref musemic said:

Ask most of them on here! Any excuse to have a go during a pandemic. Sad! 

Just watching Nicola on tv the now. She has said each tier would hopefully be for " short" periods of time.  This really isn't good enough. Its far too vague. Neil Findlay quite rightly asking for full scrutiny of the new proposals from all parties. Nicola claiming she will try to do this. Again this is not good enough. Sadly  hospitality ( pubs)  seems to be getting the raw deal, as it looks like even if things improve there would still be curfew times for them such as 10.30pm.  Main meals in level 2 meals and drink until 830pm ( i think as shes speaking rather quick).  Confirming on Thursday what local authorities   will be placed in.  

Governor Tarkin
46 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'll get back in my Covid ridden Lanarkshire box now.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

21 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How is this excellent mate?

How is it not?

13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Only 400 hospitalisations under the peak total back in April 

Don't worry, bud, I'm sure we'll be back up to peak levels soon enough. 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic