Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

When life returns to normal there will be no longer be a tier system in place.

Life can only ever return to normal if covid-19 is no longer a threat, unfortunately the science is increasingly showing that covid-19 isn't going away and will be a constant threat to humans, therefore life can never return back to 'normal', certainly nothing like back to pre-covid days.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Will be Sturgeon's response to Annie Wells this afternoon, despite Ruth Davidson not picking up on as Tory Central Office has pre-briefed RD that England could be heading same way.

Mind you Annie will likely ask (again) how people in Scotland will know which Health Board, Council or post code we live in.

Murdo Fraser and Brian Whittle, 'thank christ she put her head up and asked first'

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

If they want a fair system then they need to set levels and stick to them, they need to identify areas as well, so as the Doc has pointed out, putting Arran in with Ayrshire doesn't make sense.

They can't afford to get this wrong if they want people to follow the rules, the high rate areas need to see that with low rates you get measures lifted, or they will think what's the point

I agree.

What sporting chance have the rules ever had when fuds have ***ked them off from day one?

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

No,

This is what is cafe and not a cafe?

Why can nurseries who have a soft ball area be open, but soft ball only businesses can't?

waste of time debate all over again, apart from a small amount of tweaking

If they had put in levels 1 - 5 they would have been out of sync with what England may end up with, remembering Whittey, Vallance announced at English tiering that they are expecting a requirement for an additional tier.

And if 1 to 5 had been introduced the same folk complaining about 0-4, would be complaining about that very same 1 - 5, being out of sync with England.

C'est la vie.

Edit, of course the variances between each tiering across both countries is a valid observation.

Its not the variance I am talking about-

its the fact there is NO POINT IN THEIR SYSTEM WHERE THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS.

If you start a scale at 0 then that is 0.

tier 0 should be "normal"  ie no restrictions what so ever, no twitchers or snitchers, no closed anything , no distancing.

There is no normality built into the scottish tier system ( and I dont give a shiny shit what happens in England or if our scales match theirs or not, because I dont live there any more than I do in wales)

Riddley Walker

Sadly, as my life continues its downward trajectory into my mid 30s, I also live in East Lothian now.

Edited by Riddley Walker

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Life can only ever return to normal if covid-19 is no longer a threat, unfortunately the science is increasingly showing that covid-19 isn't going away and will be a constant threat to humans, therefore life can never return back to 'normal', certainly nothing like back to pre-covid days.

It will return to normal. Then climate change will take hold and we'll see a very new normal. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Riddley Walker said:

Sadly, as my life continues its downward trajectory into my mid 30s, I also live in East Lothian now.

Take up golf 🏌🏿‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It will return to normal. Then climate change will take hold and we'll see a very new normal. 

And Nigerian pirates will stop all cruises

We're doomed

40 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Crossed my mind as well. 

Conspicuous by her absence recently. 🤔

She was on a couple of days ago, you must have missed it.

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

All non-essential travel to and from tier 3 areas will also be prohibited under this new system.

Does that mean you can move around the whole tier 3 area or are you restricted to the Council or NHS area you are within?

Genuine question as our family is spread across Edinburgh, West Lothian and Fife. 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

All non-essential travel to and from tier 3 areas will also be prohibited under this new system.

As it is in the old/current system.

Although not prohibited but advised against.

Edited by graygo

Shooter McGavin
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Does that mean you can move around the whole tier 3 area or are you restricted to the Council or NHS area you are within?

Genuine question as our family is spread across Edinburgh, West Lothian and Fife. 

Guidelines for level 0-2: “No non-essential travel to/from level 3 or higher areas in Scotland and equivalents in rest of UK“

Guidelines for level 3: “No non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area”

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-scotlands-strategic-framework/pages/9/

15 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Wow, now that's how you do negative, depressing posts.

I see it as being realistic, that way if things turn out like that, you've already dealt with it and can move on quickly, and if it doesn't turn out as bad, then that's a Brucie bonus. 

12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Guidelines for level 0-2: “No non-essential travel to/from level 3 or higher areas in Scotland and equivalents in rest of UK“

Guidelines for level 3: “No non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area”

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-scotlands-strategic-framework/pages/9/

I read that, its really depressing.

Even at level 0 night clubs and "adult entertainment" will remain closed.

Puritanical idealistic nonsense. The government should be made to buy out those businesses at pre-covid rates then, as they have been condemned to death.

If the strippers need to retrain though, we need some new admin staff though!

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Neil Ferguson is suggesting older kids should be taken out of school to bring the R number down as current measures not enough, 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens during the winter tbh, 

On no account should that philandering idiot be paid any attention to. 

50 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Why not? Humans are very resourceful and resilient. We live with the flu, despite it killing large number of folk each year. You only have to look at New Zealand to see how normality can be re-obtained. In several years time, COVID-19 will be as much a footnote in history as the Spanish Flu. Life goes on, and so will the human race.

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Why not? Humans are very resourceful and resilient. We live with the flu, despite it killing large number of folk each year. You only have to look at New Zealand to see how normality can be re-obtained. In several years time, COVID-19 will be as much a footnote in history as the Spanish Flu. Life goes on, and so will the human race.

I agree, it's inevitable that come a certain point in this, people will be pissed off and just crack on.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I agree, it's inevitable that come a certain point in this, people will be pissed off and just crack on.

That's not what I'm saying. :) 

I think that, despite some people ignoring the guidelines, we'll pull through this together as a society. After all, it's the common sense of the majority and their following of the guidelines that is getting us through this - it would be far worse without the sacrifices and diligence of that majority. Of course the minority who flout the guidelines and spread the disease will continue to be a thorn in the side of those efforts, but that's human nature and to be expected.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That's not what I'm saying. :) 

I'm not saying it was, but it's what'll happen imo, the human race has done it after everything that's been thrown at us.

And by "people" I put governments in there, we can't carry on as we are.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

I'm not saying it was, but it's what'll happen imo, the human race has done it after everything that's been thrown at us.

Yes. but it's almost always collective effort that gets us through crises. And that's what will get us through this again. Of course we could also get through this if everyone put their own self interests first, but a lot more people would die as a result.

Changing political systems takes longer...

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Yes. but it's almost always collective effort that gets us through crises. And that's what will get us through this again. Of course we could also get through this if everyone put their own self interests first, but a lot more people would die as a result.

We're pretty much saying the same thing but differently!

"People" is collective, we will come out the other side of this because we have to. Some will always put thier own self interest first, but its in everyone's interest to get past this and back to "normal" asap, for financial, medical, physical and fotr the  mental health of the whole population. 

20 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

No briefing, in Parliament at 3.20

I just got to see Bargain Hunt on BBC1 from Edinburgh.  Much better than the daily shitshow from Nicola and chums.

:verysmug:

22 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'm not sure it will be as people are pissed off, one way or another it will be defeated.

I think we have now reached the point where people have had enough of the shite from the SG and deciding to ignore anything they say.

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed we are very resourceful, that was why I said in the next post about being realistic and thus being able to deal with things quickly and moving on.

Unfortunately until large swathes of the public realise and come to terms with the fact that covid isn't going away, until then we can't move on and live our lives with covid being just another thing that you can die from.

Governments around the world did a really good job in scareing the public, the job is now to try and get the public to realise that there probably isn't going to be a silver bullet, a magical pill or vaccine and covid disappears, we all wish that were true, but I don't think that's going to happen, and it would seem that I'm in the minority as the majority it would appear are clinging to the hope of a cure, a 'silver bullet' so to speak.

Until more people come to realise that that isn't probably going to happen, then we won't be able to move on and live our lives in some form of relative normality.

22 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

We're pretty much saying the same thing but differently!

"People" is collective, we will come out the other side of this because we have to. Some will always put thier own self interest first, but its in everyone's interest to get past this and back to "normal" asap, for financial, medical, physical and fotr the  mental health of the whole population. 

I think we are all saying similar things, just differently.

Dont get how dundee is about to be locked down and Aberdeen was shut yet glasgow has been let off for ages.  

As for travel between areas - my parents are vulnerable and stay in different health board but 5 minutes up the road from us - if mum calls and needs help with my dad (got dementia) then sod the rules I'm helping.   

Still say we could kill this virus dead with a 21 day full lockdown - food parcels delivered by amazon paid by government and sourced from supermarkets - full curfew and then once free have a full quarantine in secure facility for all travelers.  Would cost less than all this messing about.

Edited by cannonfoda
Spelling errors

1 minute ago, cannonfoda said:

Dont get how dundee is about to be locked down and Aberdeen was shut yet glasgow has been let off for ages.  

As for travel between areas - my parents are vulnerable and stay in different health board but 5 minutes up the road from us - if mum calls and needs help with my dad (got dementia) then sod the rules I'm helping.   

Still sat we could kill this virus dead with a 21 day full lockdown - food pacerls delivered by amazon paid by government and sourced from supermarkets - full curfew and then once free have a full quarantine in secure facility for all travelers.  Would cost less than all this messing about.

anti Hibs post IMHO

An annoying thing is that the people who have chucked in the towel still stand to benefit ftom the efforts of all the people who are trying their best.  Ir's a bit like the anti-vaxxer weirdos who will refuse to take any vaccine.  The great majority who do take the vaccine will be responsible for there being much less virus around.  Very few people around to infect others.  The anti-vaxxer twats will reap the benefit of not coming into contact with infectious people.  They'll proudly claim their avoidance of virus proves the vaccine wasn't necessary.

The majority will protect the feckless.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Exactly.

Not that difficult.

Another pedantic waste of energy.

Edited by DETTY29

10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

BBC one o'clock news is an absolute joy again today.

:muggy:

I limit the amount of news content I watch and read.  It isn't good for your mental health in these times.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

What a load of rubbish! The flu is here all the time and never goes away and people die with that each year in their thousands. I think people need to realise that people die every day due to a number of factors and covid is one of them. No chance I will be sticking to these rules for eternity! 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Riddley Walker said:

Not at that stage yet mate.

😆, give a try you’re in the best location in the world to do it, most folk get hooked on it. 

25 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Glasgow was also locked down in September. 

AlphonseCapone
25 minutes ago, Victorian said:

An annoying thing is that the people who have chucked in the towel still stand to benefit ftom the efforts of all the people who are trying their best.  Ir's a bit like the anti-vaxxer weirdos who will refuse to take any vaccine.  The great majority who do take the vaccine will be responsible for there being much less virus around.  Very few people around to infect others.  The anti-vaxxer twats will reap the benefit of not coming into contact with infectious people.  They'll proudly claim their avoidance of virus proves the vaccine wasn't necessary.

That's pretty much just what society is. It goes much beyond covid or viruses. 

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Professor Jason Leitch said on April 3: "The global evidence - and we've looked properly, I promise you - is that masks in the general population don't work.

Not sure the point here tbf. The WHO changed their advice too. That happens in these quickly evolving situations. 

P. S. Don't care either way if folk call him the dentist or oor Jason. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

No briefing, in Parliament at 3.20

As with the last time she went to Parliament it will be interesting on what the opposition parties focus on.

Radio Scotland suggesting Tories will be on what finance will be available to support businesses  and Labour on how will NHS capacity be increased at short notice.

28 minutes ago, Victorian said:

No different to anything else then. 

2 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

What a load of rubbish! The flu is here all the time and never goes away and people die with that each year in their thousands. I think people need to realise that people die every day due to a number of factors and covid is one of them. No chance I will be sticking to these rules for eternity! 

Sorry, but I think you have taken my post in isolation and have not realised what I've been saying for many months now, because like you say above, I've also been saying for months that people need to realise that covid is just one of a million things that can kill them, and the quicker they do the quicker we can all get on with life.

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

holier-than-thou.jpg

Not really holier than thou.  Just observing the ironic nature of compliance to mutually beneficial requests or rules.  Those who resist or who wave the white flag of surrender do not surrender the benefit they get from everyone else.

I'm not holier than thou.  Just normal and trying my best.  

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I limit the amount of news content I watch and read.  It isn't good for your mental health in these times.

It makes you want to go to the pub.

Wait a minute @@@@@*******

Riddley Walker
18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

😆, give a try you’re in the best location in the world to do it, most folk get hooked on it. 

Yeah I was kind of taking the piss. Always something I've wanted to give a go, guess it's a case of accepting that you're gonna be hopeless for a while.

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

You mean our health minister?

OUr country is being run by 2 people, Sturgeon and the unelected Leitch.

He is the Cummings to her Bojo.

At least Southern Scotland, or England as they like to be known, have a health minister who sticks his head up all the time.

I was worried that ours had died, though presumably she has been deemed so incompetent due to the frequency of scandals that she cannot be trusted with something as important as Covid, so is left to deal with things NIicola cares not about, such as the childrens hospitals etc

I see the dentist as more of a pet lizard rather than advisor. The Dominic Cummings of Scotland is Sturgeons husband, Mr Peter Murrell. A very well paid CEO of the SNP who answers to no-one and ensures that no dissent is tolerated from within. A man who has wormed his way upwards whilst stabbing others in the back, M Russell, and who never raises his won head above the parapet, preferring to leave that to his wife. They sit raking the cash in, and with no children, they couldn't personally give a **** about education or youngsters in Scotland 

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Head of the borders council was on the radio this morning - she is really not amused.

they are being put in tier 2, and she wants to know why, as it will destroy hospitality- she thinks they should be in tier 1.

She is demanding answers.

Sounded as if she was going to "do a Burnham"

I suspect that the fact natives of edinburgh are using the borders as somewhere to drink and eat whilst evading thier own restrictions is the answer she will get.

IN much the same way that Arran has been plomped into tier 3 , despite no cases at all

Who cares whether she is amused or not? So what if they are in tier 2. The decision will be based on the evidence they have and the inferences they can make from it. She can demand answers if she likes but it would be better if she waited till after today's debate on the matter where the interests of all Borders residents can be considered more comprehensively.

Arran has several cases of the virus and because of that it may well have the highest incidence of the virus in the country.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18811223.arran-coronavirus-positive-cases-island-first-time-months/  It is not uncommon for this virus to be absent from one community and then for there to be sudden increase. This happens because people come from outside and bring the virus with them.  Current restrictions were put in place to prevent this as much as possible and it seems that for around 4 months they were successful.

If people from Edinburgh are going to the Borders to drink and eat they are not evading the restrictions, they are breaking them.

What I really object to though is the litany of ill informed, inflammatory statements made by you on this forum. It’s not the SG that doesn’t understand, it’s you. If you are going to post a definitive statement e.g. there are no Covid cases in Arran you could at least check to see that it is true. You seem to have little respect for people on here as you do this repeatedly and I have challenged you about it before.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Unless they make it illegal, then guidelines can safely be ignored. NS and JL have no say or right in deciding what someone else's priorities are.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic