Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Booked in for a test. Developed all the symptoms. Coughing my lungs up and lost all sense of taste. 

Pretty certain this won’t kill me if it is Covid however. 

Have you been sticking to the rules?

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Have you been sticking to the rules?

Not been paying much attention to what the rules are tbh. Dont really go anywhere that the rules apply. 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What is?

Poor comeback by your standards 

Anyway I’m away to Tesco with my new mask on 👍

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

No because you might accidentally infect someone else so you can’t make these decisions for yourself 

Do you not worry about the destruction of social fabric and the erosion of social liberties?

I do, really it bothers me enormously.

The government is now entirely dictating where I can go, what I can do, who I can meet, how many and where,

What for?

This is the BIGGEST roll back of freedom that has ever happened.

We have only had 1200 deaths of people outside nursing homes in 9 months- and most of those people, sad as it is, were approaching the end of life.

How many deaths is the civil liberties of 5.5 million people worth?

Becasue we have lost our way of life entirely, for not many.

And it ALL falls on the SNP, all of it, its under their control.

William Wallace would be spinning .

47 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

That is unenforceable. Who is going to stop everyone going into a shop or on a bus and check their medical records?

Quite simple really - remove the loophole on asthma and say everyone must wear a mask.  I know a number of people with asthma and they wear a mask on public transport.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Furlough and grants don't finish til the end of the month. 

Maybe people should have kept some money for a rainy day. 

So, again. Boo fecking hoo for folk who cannae go a fortnight without the pub. 😭

:vrface:

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

At the moment I’m trying to convince the wife to go for a drive at the weekend down to the borders.

Never mind you can always:

Take the Ferrier Express when your life is in a mess.

Come to London for a swally. We're open until Monday at least.

I'm going to regret this and I do know JiH gets his bee in a bonnet about things but what is so wrong with him wanting those who can, or have no excuse not to, try their damndest to comply with 'FACTS' - admittedly I don't like the terminology because if someone says to you 'and that is a FACT' your first response tends to be 'are you effing sure about that'

And while very (very) limited, he was correct yesterday in saying people are taking selfies in pubs, groups gathering and hugging, even in the city, but in what I'd call the more 'local' city pubs.  That said, the staff have been great with warnings and ultimately barring if need be.

Right that's me logging off KB for a while.  Back online on 26 Oct.

Joking.  Its in my top 3 addictions.

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

So I listened to Jason Leitch this morning, 

The plan is this sharp shock will bring down the virus to levels so that we can control it again. 

That plan doesn’t really stand up to much scrutiny, we couldn’t control after a complete lockdown, whilst growing evidence that restrictions don’t work well. 

None of this makes any sense.

It's timed, so that when the data comes through 6 or 7 weeks after this lockdown finishes,  they'll be able to say something like - although numbers have continued to rise we can see a slight levelling off during October and that is why we are introducing this December circuit break as we're concerned about Xmas parties and nights out etc. 

SectionDJambo

I fear that this virus is going to be around for a long while yet, if it ever goes away. People seem to be very polarised in their views of how it’s been, and being, handled. It’s not an atmosphere of being collectively cooperative of what is needed to eradicate the virus to such a level as is needed for us all to have as much normality as possible returned to our lives. 
We can blame governments for a lack of correct decision making, poor communication or blame a section of society for their behaviour during a time of real threat to the way of life we seem to have taken for granted.

There is an impression that governments are making decisions based on anecdotal evidence rather than accurate investigation. There is a belief that many people are just not bothering with any simple measures that might protect themselves and others. Both are easily overcome by a general change in attitudes, openness and social attitudes by all of us, including our politicians. The overall lack of trust has to be overcome.

One thing is for sure. Unless we all come together and act responsibly towards each other, without a smarty pants attitude towards the opinion and observations of others, we will be living like this for a long time and people will lose jobs, homes and family members.

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

I'm going to regret this and I do know JiH gets his bee in a bonnet about things but what is so wrong with him wanting those who can, or have no excuse not to, try their damndest to comply with 'FACTS' - admittedly I don't like the terminology because if someone says to you 'and that is a FACT' your first response tends to be 'are you effing sure about that'

And while very (very) limited, he was correct yesterday in saying people are taking selfies in pubs, groups gathering and hugging, even in the city, but in what I'd call the more 'local' city pubs.  That said, the staff have been great with warnings and ultimately barring if need be.

Right that's me logging off KB for a while.  Back online on 26 Oct.

Joking.  Its in my top 3 addictions.

Imagine the government telling people not to hug........

Humans are social animals.

We rely on touch, scent, contact. It alleviates anxiety, lifts mood and lowers stress.

Distressed people need hugs and squeezes to make them feel better.

Hand shakes, back slaps, fist bumps.

As old as time

this "cure" is worse than the disease

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

I fear that this virus is going to be around for a long while yet, if it ever goes away. People seem to be very polarised in their views of how it’s been, and being, handled. It’s not an atmosphere of being collectively cooperative of what is needed to eradicate the virus to such a level as is needed for us all to have as much normality as possible returned to our lives. 
We can blame governments for a lack of correct decision making, poor communication or blame a section of society for their behaviour during a time of real threat to the way of life we seem to have taken for granted.

There is an impression that governments are making decisions based on anecdotal evidence rather than accurate investigation. There is a belief that many people are just not bothering with any simple measures that might protect themselves and others. Both are easily overcome by a general change in attitudes, openness and social attitudes by all of us, including our politicians. The overall lack of trust has to be overcome.

One thing is for sure. Unless we all come together and act responsibly towards each other, without a smarty pants attitude towards the opinion and observations of others, we will be living like this for a long time and people will lose jobs, homes and family members.

While I recognise those sentiments we have to accept there are too many selfish inconsiderate halfwits who won't pay any notice until their actions have direct consequences to them.

14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Quite simple really - remove the loophole on asthma and say everyone must wear a mask.  I know a number of people with asthma and they wear a mask on public transport.

It's not just asthmatics who are exempt though. 

1 hour ago, husref musemic said:

that's not the point though. I don't think anyone is arguing about the seriousness of it.

I'll repeat, Hospitality is responsible for 5% of infections. 

Looking into their reasons for this. The reason why they have decided to close pubs and restaurants in the central belt is from the data of those who are or, have been recently infected. 

"From the details of interviews that have been completed as part of Test and Protect, about 26% of individuals who have tested positive for Covid-19 since July have reported "exposure" to pubs, restaurants or cafes.

All ages are included but half of these people were 20-39." 

Then goes onto say, 

" The R value did rise above 1 about three weeks after pubs opened and just over 20% of people recently infected report having been to a pub, restaurant or café in the preceding week.

This doesn't prove that closing licensed venues after 6pm will turn the tide, or be more effective than doing so after 10pm.

But there is no single dataset or number that will map out a precise path through this epidemic."

I personally think that it's very harsh but they have obviously based this decision on the data available. 

It seems the rest of the UK is set to follow suit as no doubt their data will show the same thing. 

10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Imagine the government telling people not to hug........

Humans are social animals.

We rely on touch, scent, contact. It alleviates anxiety, lifts mood and lowers stress.

Distressed people need hugs and squeezes to make them feel better.

Hand shakes, back slaps, fist bumps.

As old as time

this "cure" is worse than the disease

Pissed up lads hugging each other in the boozer and I have overheard - 'She can effing do one'

I get everything you are saying, but you took the setting well out of context.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, spirt of 98 said:

I spoke to a guy I know yesterday. He is late 30s had to take 2 months off work when he had COVID 4 months later he still struggles to breathe when exercising. Walking up stairs is hard. Remember he’s late 30s and was fit until Covid struck. But Na let’s keep pubs open when the rates are rocketing and let everyone get it and take their chances eh. 

Much like you saying tough shit to jack d and cokes daughter about her job.Some you win some you lose. 🤷‍♂️

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Furlough and grants don't finish til the end of the month. 

Maybe people should have kept some money for a rainy day. 

So, again. Boo fecking hoo for folk who cannae go a fortnight without the pub. 😭

Terribly harsh and insensitive comment . There are millions of working people on minimum wage who barely scrap by every month paying bills , rent etc and rely on working tax credit and other benefits just to get by . They can barely put a £1 away every month . 

Ron Burgundy
25 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Do you not worry about the destruction of social fabric and the erosion of social liberties?

The government is now entirely dictating where I can go, what I can do, who I can meet, how many and where,

What for?

We have only had 1200 deaths of people outside nursing homes in 9 months- and most of those people, sad as it is, were approaching the end of life.

Exactly, yet some are acting like dinosaurs who have just seen a huge asteroid in the sky.

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Terribly harsh and insensitive comment . There are millions of working people on minimum wage who barely scrap by every month paying bills , rent etc and rely on working tax credit and other benefits just to get by . They can barely put a £1 away every month . 

They will all be fine though when they get a free tartan unicorn and a £30 grand a year pension after independence.

jack D and coke
59 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Fair shout, TBF.

Wee bit of personal responsibility wouldn't go amiss.

Just like being able to decide who you mix with, when and where without your curtain twitching neighbours grassing you up.

Whilst not disagreeing there are people who didn’t get help btw. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I joke about not getting into a pub for 2 weeks even longer during lockdown.

I understand the whole reality of the owners and staff of that industry.

Lots of decent people getting paid quite a low wage.

Hopefully they’ll come through it.

Jambo 4 Ever
31 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

What for?

When people are dying it’s the right thing to do.

laws are in place for a reason.

people during the world wars had to put up with far worse 

we still have FaceTime etc to meet with others.

2 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

The government have to constantly make decisions that effect the economy. Where you been. 

What would the other choice do to the Government opinion poll, jobs and folks mental health. I am sure you’d all be on here singing Sturgeons  praises when we are all prematurely burying our parents / grandparents. FFS what do folk not get. 

Oh really?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-scotland-54433305

11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Much like you saying tough shit to jack d and cokes daughter about her job.Some you win some you lose. 🤷‍♂️

:spoton:

33 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

What for?

Is the SNP responsible for South of the border as well. 

Is this pandemic not being treated as a war by the government's.? 

If so war rules and conditions apply. 

Man up and stop whinging if you are a doctor you have a comfortable living by most standards. 

Ron Burgundy
2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

:lol: the average age of someone who has died from Covid in Scotland is higher than the life expectancy for both men and women ? 

Is that a fact you can find in the FACTS info being spread like a fear virus.

Absurd if true.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Is the SNP responsible for South of the border as well. 

Is this pandemic not being treated as a war by the government's.? 

If so war rules and conditions apply. 

Man up and stop whinging if you are a doctor you have a comfortable living by most standards. 

This 

not convinced he is a doctor though - atleast not a medical one 

doctor jambo

This is the most contradictory guff I've ever come across on this board, so well donr

The world wars were waged to PROTECT our FREEDOMS at the cost of MILLIONS of lives.

You are supporting surrendering those freedoms that cost millions of young lives, to save a small number of people.

Laws are in place for a reason- sure, and sometimes laws are wrong and senseless.

The law says homosexuality is illegal in the middle east,

the law says you have to have hair like Kim JOng Un in north Korea

law in Texas says you can carry an assault rifle in public

law in Pakistan says you can be stoned to death for blasphemy

Law in Scotland says I cannot take my kids fishing in a hill loch 24 miles away, but I can go to one 22 miles away beacuse of which health board its in

Just now, King prawn said:

:lol: the average age of someone who has died from Covid in Scotland is higher than the life expectancy for both men and women ? 

Appears so. Prematurely burying our parents though...🤔🤔

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's not just asthmatics who are exempt though. 

In reality that is the rule being exploited and that exception doesn't need to exist.

The others as I remember are for temporary exceptions for lip reading (still require a mask otherwise), and infants.

Deal with the first point and you can then stop the arseholes getting onto a bus.

Edited by frankblack

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

When were people not dying? Your type fail to understand , or are incapable of understanding that 115k people die every year in the UK from respiratory illnesses.  600k from all causes. 1000 people are normally admitted into hospital each week in England with respiratory viruses.  The govt and scientific scaremongering campaign about what is another one of many respiratory viruses has had the unfortunate side effect of frying some people's brains into believing, through being bombarded by stats on a daily basis, that nobody has ever died or been admitted to hospital before Covid came along.  Better treatments are available now and 80% of ICU patients survive, compared to 50% back in March. A vaccine will be along shortly for those who want or need it but in the meantime we need govts to start using logic and common sense , ramp down the hysteria and let people live. There are lots of nasty illnesses out there and an abundance of risks. Life goes on. 

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Presumably Sturgeon has read the Great Barrington Declaration.............................and ignored it, hell, its only 6000 experts have signed it, and rising

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-barrington-declaration-an-open-letter-arguing-against-lockdown-policies-and-for-focused-protection/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/great-barrington-declaration-herd-immunity-scientific-divide

The Great Barrington is an outlier on the majority mainstream scientific consensus.
Sponsored and promoted by the libertarian American Institute of Economic research, and from looking on Twitter, supported by Steve Baker, Steve Hilton and Toby Young.

Yeah, think I'll pass on this.

doctor jambo
7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

There it is.

Catching Covid in Scotland makes you live longer, by several years

doctor jambo
6 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This 

not convinced he is a doctor though - atleast not a medical one 

Honestly, your opinion of me, and assertions, they give me a warm glow.

As long as you and I are on opposite sides, then I'm pretty certain I'm right.

Just now, manaliveits105 said:

They didn’t close the pubs during the wars 

Exactly.  The only problem was dwindling beer supplies at times.  Hard to imagine that generation , or the leaders at the time, cowering away because of a feckin virus.

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

They didn’t close the pubs during the wars 

Thats because they were protecting freedom , and opposing oppression

Here we are embracing oppression because "its for our own safety""

Just back from Tesco and it’s busiest I’ve seen it in a long time, everyone had drink in their trolleys 

1 minute ago, theshed said:

Just back from Tesco and it’s busiest I’ve seen it in a long time, everyone had drink in their trolleys 

Are you saying Tesco started this pandemic ?

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

I asked a few pages back and didn't get a response so will try and ask a bit more succinctly.

Is there a key difference between how people die from the flu and die from Covid?

Just that I do not recall the NHS having ICU units nearly full or people with flu being in an ICU unit for weeks on end and either dying or surviving and needing weeks of rehabilitation to get back to some form of normality.

This is notably to @doctor jambo or any medical professional on here

This might help. (no, I'm not a medical professional)

https://fullfact.org/health/flu-covid-deaths/

56 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not been paying much attention to what the rules are tbh. Dont really go anywhere that the rules apply. 

Ignorance of the current rules but you know where the rules have been applied. Someone/something may have infected you, Covid or not...get well soon!

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

There are many types of asthma, some will be fine wearing a mask, some probably won't. We could just ban all vulnerable people from going out...

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

You must pay attention though

48C6B534-3CC6-4F78-8912-1A490DFB5329.jpeg

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Ignorance of the current rules but you know where the rules have been applied. Someone/something may have infected you, Covid or not...get well soon!

Well, obviously I have something. Covid or not. Felt pretty shit last week but didn’t have a cough so didn’t consider Covid. Thought it was a bad cold. Woke up during the night with a horrific cough and it has been flaring up

all morning. Self isolating now and will only go out if i test negative. Probably just a chest infection on the back of the cold messing with my immune system last week. 

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

There are many types of asthma, some will be fine wearing a mask, some probably won't. We could just ban all vulnerable people from going out...

They could ask others to do their shopping though if they are not well enough to wear a mask 

Ron Burgundy

They could ask others to do their shopping though if they are not well enough to wear a mask 

Are you going to stop shirking your civic duty and call out these offenders when you see them.

People like you have caused all of this.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic