Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

That would be relevant if that's what we had been discussing however we weren't talking about that, we were talking about the free pass the SG is being given by the media. Absolute roaster of a statement. 

You seem a tad sensitive, and clearly worried about next year's Holyrood elections, which is understandable with support drifting away as SG policies are clearly failing on containing the virus.  If you can't link my two statements together you are the one with issues, chum. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The Media are hopeless. Have you listened to the inane rubbish the Fm is subjected to at the briefings? She swats them aside like the grovelling, lickspittles many of them are. Its not her fault they don't understand the issues and ask inappropriate questions so frequently.

What mistakes do you think they should be challenged on?

I'll let your first point go on the media - they are either incompetent or afraid to go against the SNP majority.

Where do I start?  Lets go with current outbreaks - I think questions need to be asked particularly on why they allowed universities to operate halls of residence during a pandemic when it was proven to have been a breeding ground for the virus in the U.S.

Edited by frankblack

Weakened Offender
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You seem a tad sensitive, and clearly worried about next year's Holyrood elections, which is understandable with support drifting away as SG policies are clearly failing on containing the virus.  If you can't link my two statements together you are the one with issues, chum. 👍

Drivel. 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

THE most absurd post on this most absurd thread. Astonishing to think you may be serious. 

I would expect that answer from one of their biggest fanboys.

Nucky Thompson
47 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure The Scottish Daily Mail and Express would agree with you.

:lol:

Never read them in my life.

I'm taking about Colin Mackay and all his STV mob and that lot on BBC Scotland are no better.

They let them away with murder 

Weakened Offender
7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I would expect that answer from one of their biggest fanboys.

Fair point. 😎👍

coconut doug
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

I'll let your first point go on the media - they are either incompetent or afraid to go against the SNP majority.

Where do I start?  Lets go with current outbreaks - I think questions need to be asked particularly on why they allowed universities to operate halls of residence during a pandemic when it was proven to have been a breeding ground for the virus in the U.S.

I don't think they are afraid of the SNP majority but many are more than wary of the FM. She has handed a few their arses over the last 6 months.

The FM was asked about this a few days ago. She stated that student welfare was primarily the responsibility of the universities and had the gov intervened to stop them coming there would have an outcry about infringement of civil liberties. She was also asked whether this was a financial decision. She denied it was and further justified her decision as it was part of a very delicate balancing act that all governments had to do. She of course listened carefully to all the scientific advice before making her decision. 

It's now proven to be a breeding ground here too. All human interactions now carry this risk however education has been deemed a priority.

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Never read them in my life.

I'm taking about Colin Mackay and all his STV mob and that lot on BBC Scotland are no better.

They let them away with murder 

They do get an easy ride when it comes to questions and only person I seen asking anything hard was the guy Andrew Neil last year 

Heartsmad1874
Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Fair point. 😎👍

You've still got a good bit to go to beat coconut doug 

Francis Albert
Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A beauty salon?

Very irresponsible of her to visit these places whilst having just been tested 🤯🤯 

Should have been following the FACTS or Stick with it Scotland or whatever scheme their running now 👍🏻

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I don't think they are afraid of the SNP majority but many are more than wary of the FM. She has handed a few their arses over the last 6 months.

The whole point of being a journalist is to ask the uncomfortable questions, and if they can't do it they shouldn't be there!

The BBC and ITV reporters (most notably the Scottish based ones) seem terrified to go there.

10 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

The FM was asked about this a few days ago. She stated that student welfare was primarily the responsibility of the universities and had the gov intervened to stop them coming there would have an outcry about infringement of civil liberties. She was also asked whether this was a financial decision. She denied it was and further justified her decision as it was part of a very delicate balancing act that all governments had to do. She of course listened carefully to all the scientific advice before making her decision. 

It's now proven to be a breeding ground here too. All human interactions now carry this risk however education has been deemed a priority.

This was entirely predictable, and there was 6 months to prepare a solution, such as close the halls and find alternative accomodation in smaller HMO properties, even if it is temporary.

We are now in a situation where we have seen that the Universities have not taken adequate action as demonstrated by the infection rates, so something needs to be done to close the halls.

I think you need to compare university campuses with large offices, where people are being asked to work from home if possible due to social distancing constraints and staff numbers on site restricted to key workers such as IT infrastructure.

I'm not buying the civil liberties arguments.  Its now been proven that the old ways don't work, so its time for plan B.  University learning really should have been looking at solutions such as remote learning.

JudyJudyJudy
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The whole point of being a journalist is to ask the uncomfortable questions, and if they can't do it they shouldn't be there!

The BBC and ITV reporters (most notably the Scottish based ones) seem terrified to go there.

This was entirely predictable, and there was 6 months to prepare a solution, such as close the halls and find alternative accomodation in smaller HMO properties, even if it is temporary.

We are now in a situation where we have seen that the Universities have not taken adequate action as demonstrated by the infection rates, so something needs to be done to close the halls.

I think you need to compare university campuses with large offices, where people are being asked to work from home if possible due to social distancing constraints and staff numbers on site restricted to key workers such as IT infrastructure.

I'm not buying the civil liberties arguments.  Its now been proven that the old ways don't work, so its time for plan B.  University learning really should have been looking at solutions such as remote learning.

The Universities dont want remote learning as it means the students dont need to pay the inflated rents they are charging, hence making sure they came at the beginning of the term. Yes the reporters need to be asking more questions ? Such as .  " What rate can we accept some level of deaths but continue as normal without any lockdown?  This is never asked.  Even one death and the media goes into mad spin as does the SG 

20 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

The Universities dont want remote learning as it means the students dont need to pay the inflated rents they are charging, hence making sure they came at the beginning of the term. Yes the reporters need to be asking more questions ? Such as .  " What rate can we accept some level of deaths but continue as normal without any lockdown?  This is never asked.  Even one death and the media goes into mad spin as does the SG 

Not sure its entirely down to that, but complacency may also be a factor thinking the virus would be gone by October so just go about as normal.

Happy to see all the difficult and uncomfotable questions asked rather than just go along with what the SG tells them.

6 hours ago, heartstastic said:

This is how i picture Raygin and Victorian..you lads are desperate to keep this charade going...shouting down all others that don't go along with your narratives. Meanwhile most reasonable, rational people can see this is not as dangerous as being made out and would like to get on with there lives before any more damage is done to them and there loved ones physically, mentally and finacially.

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

:rofl:

coconut doug
18 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Journalism is very poor. Some just don't do their homework. A lot has been politically motivated and usually takes the form of why is Scotland doing things differently to England? Quite often the journalists ask questions about the relationships between Holyrood and Westminster or ask the FM for a reaction to some comment made by someone with no link to Scotalnd instead of asking about measures to supress the virus.

I think many more questions could and should have been asked about the reduction in service across the rest of the health service and what the effects of that are likely to be. Why did we have a purpose built hospital lying empty for so long and yet we are admitting patients into general hospitals and allowing infection to spread. Who is responsible for that policy and why implement it when we have a purpose built alternative? Instead they were asking why schools were going to open when previously they had stated that the policy was one of blended learning. Even when it was explained that education was a priority, preventative measures ha been taken, infection rates decreased they still persisited with the notion that Scotgov was incompetent becaause it had changed its mind.

All this was predictable and things should change but the civil liberties argument is strong. Just look on this thread. People were complaining because their kids were not getting birthday parties.

3 hours ago, theshed said:

I see the women MP who went to London still hasn’t walked yet 🙄🙄

Harder and harder to find work. I don’t blame her. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
49 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

looks like the author has tried to use actual sums and do a wee bit of what-if there

comparison to flu and no mention of the dreaded long-covid means the whole article is pretty much meaningless

didnt notice any reference to the most infectious killer pathogen and the like

inferred lockdown didn’t fundamentally alter the curve - making up cost of lockdown numbers

im assuming the authors a simple blogger and when I say simple I mean very simplistic

you can get the r-value to 6 decimal places on here numerous links about deniers dying and a full insightful ahead of the curve commentary every day on here - no need to stray elsewhere mate

If young people were dying of the virus in numbers then there'd be an issue with university residence halls being open and further education happening. However the halls lockdowns are very poorly planned considering this was a very foreseeable thing.

A shitty time to be a student sure but a shitty time for everyone else too.

Edited by kila

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Journalism is very poor. Some just don't do their homework. A lot has been politically motivated and usually takes the form of why is Scotland doing things differently to England? Quite often the journalists ask questions about the relationships between Holyrood and Westminster or ask the FM for a reaction to some comment made by someone with no link to Scotalnd instead of asking about measures to supress the virus.

I think many more questions could and should have been asked about the reduction in service across the rest of the health service and what the effects of that are likely to be. Why did we have a purpose built hospital lying empty for so long and yet we are admitting patients into general hospitals and allowing infection to spread. Who is responsible for that policy and why implement it when we have a purpose built alternative? Instead they were asking why schools were going to open when previously they had stated that the policy was one of blended learning. Even when it was explained that education was a priority, preventative measures ha been taken, infection rates decreased they still persisited with the notion that Scotgov was incompetent becaause it had changed its mind.

All this was predictable and things should change but the civil liberties argument is strong. Just look on this thread. People were complaining because their kids were not getting birthday parties.

:bravo:

been here before
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Who?

What section of society do you think  might be extremely keen to take them up on that offer of a rectal thermometer being used?

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Just saw the clip of Swinney being interviewed.

Interviewer: "Presumably you're very concerned..."

WTF was Swinney going to say? 'Nah, **** it. We've gone about it all wrong, and to be honest, the 20-odd folk in ICUs were probably a bunch of dicks anyway."

These chicken-hearted, click-chasing nonsense-peddlers are feeding each other the lines.

The politicians and the media have created a storm in a teacup, the ramifications of which have already dawned, or are starting to dawn on most folk with half a brain. The continued restrictions on daily life are absolutely nothing to do with folk not 'complying' (what a miserable bloody term) with the 'measures' (and another), and all to do with the fact that this is what viruses bloody well do and the politicians' complete misunderstanding of what to do in a situation like this - namely, as little as possible.

The only way to achieve their stated aims would be to destroy much of what makes life worth living for most folk - meeting up with friends and family, sharing time together, feeling like they make a bit of a difference with their work (either to their own lives or someone elses) and making positive plans for the future. Instead we've got these professional do-gooders trying and failing to eliminate a virus and shiting themselves on a daily basis based on fundamentally flawed computer modelling, all the while creating a little cult of fear, doom and finger-pointing. 

Have had enough of it, totally and utterly enough. I'm out of this thread.

See ya 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, been here before said:

What section of society do you think  might be extremely keen to take them up on that offer of a rectal thermometer being used?

Hibs fans?

been here before
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You tell me 

Ive no idea you're the one making the claim.

Feel free to expand on it....

25 minutes ago, graygo said:

First one he's broke. 😀

16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

R.i.P jonesy :(

tenor.gif?itemid=10313152

:rofl:

:scenes:

Socially distanced party in Hamilton to celebrate his first kill.

been here before
13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Another decent sign

1748F1B5-5ECC-493D-9287-4FCBFAC3D20A.jpeg

What section of society do you think would like that?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Night shift slow tonight, JiH?

Must be. Look up some scat references or that, to link to Covid-19. Maybe Alabama hotpockets? Complete the circle. 👍🏻

Cleveland Steamer! 😬

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic