Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

This has got to be a joke right? Asking pubs to stay open after the supposed curfew if Scotland game goes to pens :lol: 

Yep the virus will wait till the penalties are over 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

One section of society might be extremely keen to take them up on that offer. 

True 

30 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

This is how i picture Raygin and Victorian..you lads are desperate to keep this charade going...shouting down all others that don't go along with your narratives. Meanwhile most reasonable, rational people can see this is not as dangerous as being made out and would like to get on with there lives before any more damage is done to them and there loved ones physically, mentally and finacially.

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

I can concur the person on the right is indeed Victorian.

Edited by Bull's-eye

37 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

This is how i picture Raygin and Victorian..you lads are desperate to keep this charade going...shouting down all others that don't go along with your narratives. Meanwhile most reasonable, rational people can see this is not as dangerous as being made out and would like to get on with there lives before any more damage is done to them and there loved ones physically, mentally and finacially.

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

Most reasonable, rational people don't think they know better than virologists and epidemiologists when it comes to classifying and tackling viruses.

I'd like to get on with my life too. I had been doing so with a degree of normality until we got stuck back into a stricter lockdown thanks to all the idiots ignoring the rules and encouraging others to do the same. So, thanks for that.

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Most reasonable, rational people don't think they know better than virologists and epidemiologists when it comes to classifying and tackling viruses.

I'd like to get on with my life too. I had been doing so with a degree of normality until we got stuck back into a stricter lockdown thanks to all the idiots ignoring the rules and encouraging others to do the same. So, thanks for that.

Must be idiots ignoring the rules in virtually every single country in the world.

Or the rules alone are not enough to defeat the virus.

I wonder what it is.......

Edit: Or the rules, if we were all to follow them to the letter are too oppressive that it is unreasonable to expect the whole human race to follow them completely.

Edited by graygo

Just now, graygo said:

Must be idiots ignoring the rules in virtually every single country in the world.

Or the rules alone are not enough to defeat the virus.

I wonder what it is.......

You actually doubt this? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You actually doubt this? :lol: 

No I don't, I would stop short of calling them idiots though. (in general)

A bit like speed limits, I would wager a large sum of money that everyone breaks these laws at some point, not sure that makes them all idiots.

Edited by graygo

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Far be it from me to start throwing around accusations, but I think he's suggesting gay men like having thermometers forcefully inserted into their rectum.

I thought he was talking about the itchy bum society. 

Oh well, every days a school day.

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And how exactly would that work? Bar A. shuts at nine but bar B shuts at 10. Punters exit Bar A at nine and head straight to Bar B. 

Spot on Seymour. They would have to organise it that pubs couldn't admit customers after the first tranche of pubs have closed. And even then there would be loud complaints from the pubs made to close earlier. So what would they do - rotate closing times? Staggering closing times is a ridiculous idea.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Cineworld to close all their cinemas due to Covid. 5500 people lost their jobs. 

Ah boo fecking hoo for them eh🤷🏽‍♂️
(Sarcastic)

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, heartstastic said:

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

I almost need therapy after reading their posts ill be honest. The most depressing pair I read anywhere on this subject. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I almost need therapy after reading their posts ill be honest. The most depressing pair I read anywhere on this subject. 

👍

13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Agreed. Couple of complete doom mongers. 

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, heartstastic said:

I would say it is though. When it first reared it's head in the media the symptoms listed were almost an exact match for any cold/flu that we've all experienced. It was only in the weeks after that they started listing all sorts of other supposed symptoms that were trying to give the perception of the super virus from hell. The now revised figures from the cdc and other bodies around the world also back up that what is currently going around is a bad flu season. This 'long covid' thing is no different from suffering a bad flu...i had it when i was 21. I was rooted to the couch for 4 weeks..a trip to the toliet 15 feet away would take a literal 2 mins to get too. Wasn't back to myself for a good 2/3 months.

I still would not categorise this as a pandemic anyhow..maybe in the first couple of months when there were a lot of unknowns but from personal experience i know of no one that has had it and still yet to see the evidence for overrun medical facilities apart from that Italian hospital footage which was also used in the America on several networks to  say the hospitals in New York were overrun.

I mean what virus have you ever had in your life that you need to be tested to find out you had it...your body tells you when it's not well, not a test.

If no one had access to a tv or screens...would anyone be aware that there was a pandemic?...i would say an emphatic no.

I have posted this  before. I lived through an epidemic that killed twice as many people in the UK and it didn't touch on my life one iota nor that of anyone I knew. 

There was no internet then. Newspapers were tiny - the Guardian had about 16 pages in total compared to well over 300 last I counted.TV news consisted of a couple of 10 minute slots in the evening. There was no talk radio. 

Posters can rofl all they like but you are spot on.

The article someone posted a few days ago from the atlantic was really interesting and helped to explain the better outcomes Japan and South Korea have had versus the West.

Guess what? They're doing something different because they believe the approach from the West is the wrong one. How dare they disagree with our virologists and epidemiologists!!!! They couldn't possibly be wrong, could they?!?

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Look at the wee sewing circle having a mutual validation sesh.   Cringer.   :)

It's amusing to see that they've moved from denying facts, science  and reality to just having ad hominem attacks on the posters who don't.

I'm sure you and Ray Gin are shaking in your boots. :D

In my experience it tends to be the folk that had zero life before the restrictions that want them to continue.  

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

The article someone posted a few days ago from the atlantic was really interesting and helped to explain the better outcomes Japan and South Korea have had versus the West.

Guess what? They're doing something different because they believe the approach from the West is the wrong one. How dare they disagree with our virologists and epidemiologists!!!! They couldn't possibly be wrong, could they?!?

It was very interesting and it would be good to see some follow up on it.   It seems to centre on a fundamentally different interpretation of how the virus behaves.   Super spreading,  clusters and mega clusters,  etc.    It suggests that tracing would be done entirely differently and implies that testing and tracing capacity would need significant improvement.   I'm not sure our scientists would even consider a full change of direction and highly sceptical our leaders can provide enough capacity.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It's amusing to see that they've moved from denying facts, science  and reality to just having ad hominem attacks on the posters who don't.

I'm sure you and Ray Gin are shaking in your boots. :D

I'm just going to carry on regardless.   Will continue to show respect and engage with some of the more cerebral of them.   They know who they are.  ;)

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

A lot of virologists and epidemiologists disagree with other virologists and epidemiologists. Aren't they reasonable, rational people?

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

758 new positive results in Scotland

0 deaths

210 people in hospital

22 in ICU

The 210 Includes the 22 in ICU 

Just now, jonesy said:

I brought the Werther's Originals. 

I've got some of those downstairs.   Concentrating on my pink grapefruit juice for now.   Lovely stuff.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It was very interesting and it would be good to see some follow up on it.   It seems to centre on a fundamentally different interpretation of how the virus behaves.   Super spreading,  clusters and mega clusters,  etc.    It suggests that tracing would be done entirely differently and implies that testing and tracing capacity would need significant improvement.   I'm not sure our scientists would even consider a full change of direction and highly sceptical our leaders can provide enough capacity.

I sadly think your are right, especially in regards to our leaders providing capacity. I've only read one thing about it so reluctant to take it as definitely correct but it does highlight that disagreeing with the 'experts" isn't exactly outlandish considering they are far from agreement within their own community. 

It would be much easier to stomach restrictions if they were effective like those covered in the article and allowed people to get rapid testing to confirm a negative result so we can engage in outdoor group events like sport spectatorship. It's harder to accept them when our only strategy seems to be avoid catching it by limiting our social lives and hope that if we do that for long enough it will go away.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

The 210 Includes the 22 in ICU 

Aye, 210 all together. One less in ICU from yesterday

A quick look at the breakdown by NHS board shows that the areas with the highest per capita number of infections in today's stats are still Greater Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Lothian. Everywhere else is showing reasonable increases. So, no change there.

Back to my knitting. I've got to get wee Johnny's scarf done by Christmas.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I sadly think your are right, especially in regards to our leaders providing capacity. I've only read one thing about it so reluctant to take it as definitely correct but it does highlight that disagreeing with the 'experts" isn't exactly outlandish considering they are far from agreement within their own community. 

It would be much easier to stomach restrictions if they were effective like those covered in the article and allowed people to get rapid testing to confirm a negative result so we can engage in outdoor group events like sport spectatorship. It's harder to accept them when our only strategy seems to be avoid catching it by limiting our social lives and hope that if we do that for long enough it will go away.

Rapid testing would make such a huge difference. I sometimes wonder what happened to the 15 minute test that the Canary Islands were proposing a wee while back.

A few weeks ago, the NHS in Scotland was also putting a 12-minute test through its paces at a handful of hospitals in Scotland. The trial was, as far as I know, never reported but the original purchase of the equipment was (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-53920916). I assume that the trial was to test its accuracy against the traditional PCR test by using both tests on the same clients, but I've heard nothing more about it since. I assume that it didn't pass muster.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Jolly good. Just had a Vietnamese style coffee and some 80% dark chocolate.

I like this conversation. Far less abrasive than the usual CV-19 stuff.

Perhaps we should just share our snacks for the next couple of days instead of battering each other with opinions and stats.

80% dark chocolate is a stat, is it not? ;) I feel that the true figure is closer to 70%. Anyway, I'm on filter coffee and a blueberry muffin.

What's a Vietnamese-style coffee?

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Rapid testing would make such a huge difference. I sometimes wonder what happened to the 15 minute test that the Canary Islands were proposing a wee while back.

A few weeks ago, the NHS in Scotland was also putting a 12-minute test through its paces at a handful of hospitals in Scotland. The trial was, as far as I know, never reported but the original purchase of the equipment was (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-53920916). I assume that the trial was to test its accuracy against the traditional PCR test by using both tests on the same clients, but I've heard nothing more about it since. I assume that it didn't pass muster.

The results must have been really shit if they didn't stand up against the PCR tests. 😲

Edited by graygo

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sturgeon told me it was 90%, so I just worked down from there.

Coffee: Make an espresso (I make a cheat version in my aeropress). Pour condensed milk into bottom of a glass, then plunge the espresso on top. Looks like an inverted pint of Guinness. When you're almost finished the coffee, stir it into the condensed milk. 

Thanks for the recipe. If only I liked milk in my coffee. :(

33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's not fair. I'm a boring b'stard all year round, but I demand my government lets me continue my dull as dishwater life in peace. :) 

you are an exception to the rule :lol:

2 hours ago, Barack said:

So that's pissing on people and now anal things, that have been highlighted by JiH.🤔

Far be it for me to quote Freud...

Glad it’s a Freudian thing. Was starting to think he’d hacked into my search history. 

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Glad it’s a Freudian thing. Was starting to think he’d hacked into my search history. 

:biggrin2:

Nucky Thompson
33 minutes ago, theshed said:

I see the women MP who went to London still hasn’t walked yet 🙄🙄

I heard some tit on the politics Scotland programme this morning trying to make excuses for her, saying that she's tested positive so that might be taking up all her time.

The SNP have got the media in this country stitched up

10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I heard some tit on the politics Scotland programme this morning trying to make excuses for her, saying that she's tested positive so that might be taking up all her time.

Maybe hanging on for the death in service benefit. :whistling:

Weakened Offender
14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

THE most absurd post on this most absurd thread. Astonishing to think you may be serious. 

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

THE most absurd post on this most absurd thread. Astonishing to think you may be serious. 

They are getting a free pass from the media who are not challenging their decisions and mistakes during this pandemic.

Part of the problem is Scottish Labour having a completely ineffective leader.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I’m sure The Scottish Daily Mail and Express would agree with you.

:lol:

Weakened Offender
17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They are getting a free pass from the media who are not challenging their decisions and mistakes during this pandemic.

A free pass? You're at it surely? 😁

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure The Scottish Daily Mail and Express would agree with you.

:lol:

:rofl:

10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

A free pass? You're at it surely? 😁

It doesn't matter what anyone says to you you aren't going to listen.  Sturgeon and co are having an absolute shocker (as is Boris), and facing having us back in lockdown over Christmas.

coconut doug
27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The Media are hopeless. Have you listened to the inane rubbish the Fm is subjected to at the briefings? She swats them aside like the grovelling, lickspittles many of them are. Its not her fault they don't understand the issues and ask inappropriate questions so frequently.

What mistakes do you think they should be challenged on?

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

It doesn't matter what anyone says to you you aren't going to listen.  Sturgeon and co are having an absolute shocker (as is Boris), and facing having us back in lockdown over Christmas.

That would be relevant if that's what we had been discussing however we weren't talking about that, we were talking about the free pass the SG is being given by the media. Absolute roaster of a statement. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic