Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

It will be a time consuming,  enormous scale exercise but one worth doing.   Once this is over,  we need UBI.   It's literally made for such a circumstance as this.   Put all the machinery in place for a dynamic,  reactive,  UBI regime.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Nothing’s an easy fix but shielding the vulnerable is relatively easy

didnt the government send out shielding letters at the start hence the group has been defined - obviously subject to change and application from others but in general defined

with the progress with vaccines (so we’re told) the time horizon is short to medium term so the scenarios which can’t be dealt-with by social distancing etc can be supported in other ways - financially and a more sophisticated version of old-folk only in Tesco before 10am

vulnerable who need to work can either work at home or be supported/protected where they need to work and failing that unfortunately be one of many many who will lose their jobs due to this and will have to be supported by the state

nothings easy here -  I said that about 150 pages back when people were going ... “oh the government should just do x,y,z “ like they were easy decisions without far-reaching consequences

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer
50 becomes 150

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah people just need to check the content on the bottles but there has definitely been some shops trying to flogg the normal Carex as usable for Covid. 

It is if you use it at home like other soap and wash your hands for 20 seconds or so. Shops shouldn't be using misleading info in order to sell products that are only of use if you have access to water though!

1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Nothing’s an easy fix but shielding the vulnerable is relatively easy

didnt the government send out shielding letters at the start hence the group has been defined - obviously subject to change and application from others but in general defined

with the progress with vaccines (so we’re told) the time horizon is short to medium term so the scenarios which can’t be dealt-with by social distancing etc can be supported in other ways - financially and a more sophisticated version of old-folk only in Tesco before 10am

vulnerable who need to work can either work at home or be supported/protected where they need to work and failing that unfortunately be one of many many who will lose their jobs due to this and will have to be supported by the state

nothings easy here -  I said that about 50 pages back when people were going ... “oh the government should just do x,y,z “ like they were easy decisions without far-reaching consequences

A group was defined but,  as you suggest,  it very much is subject to change.   We're 6 months or so down the line of medical/scientific knowledge of the virus.   There was a shielding group defined but it was against a backdrop of a general lockdown.   No lockdown this time.   A policy of shield + lockdown is a million miles from shield + open up.    The shielding group would be profoundly different.

35 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fair enough,  but I can still think of several setting where potentially vulnerable people would face profoundly stressful and heightened risk with much less suppression.    My argument is really that it's not an easy fix.

Well yes, I agree, but again that's all part of living, something that the  elderly and vulnerable have plenty experience of. From my experience,  elderly people are wanting to live their lives, take precautions of course and get on with things. The response from Govts to Covid has been strange imo , there are obviously vested interests but the idea that people can be isolated, awsy from a virus they are never likely to encounter under the guise of "saving lives" just doesn't add up. What about all of life's other risks, respiratory infections that kill more than 2k UK citizens every week,?  Can you imagine the reaction of this generation had they been around 80 years ago, when kids routinely went to school with gas masks??  " Ma bairn aint gonna no school wi etc....."😂

heartsfc_fan

Shite year. One of the boys in work lost his job. Feel sorry for the guy as he's on his own.

Bloody covid.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Shite year. One of the boys in work lost his job. Feel sorry for the guy as he's on his own.

Bloody covid.

That's terrible. The human stories are the real casualties of lockdowns. Imagine worrying about the virus then losing your job on top of that. Once furlough ends there will be mass unemployment and dont forget the " free money" dished out via lockdown etc has to be paid back by Joe Bloggs.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
22 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A group was defined but,  as you suggest,  it very much is subject to change.   We're 6 months or so down the line of medical/scientific knowledge of the virus.   There was a shielding group defined but it was against a backdrop of a general lockdown.   No lockdown this time.   A policy of shield + lockdown is a million miles from shield + open up.    The shielding group would be profoundly different.

the group may not necessarily be significantly different - you have stated it will be - that doesn’t actually mean it definitely will be

there is also a mechanism (which would need adjusted - like all similar things in the real world) to define a ‘vulnerable’  group - you or I may not agree with who’s in it but the mechanism is there

3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the group may not necessarily be significantly different - you have stated it will be - that doesn’t actually mean it definitely will be

there is also a mechanism (which would need adjusted - like all similar things in the real world) to define a ‘vulnerable’  group - you or I may not agree with who’s in it but the mechanism is there

Governments have no place deciding who is "vulnerable" . Set out the options and everyone makes their own choice. The idea that 3 generation families will not have a normal Christmas day with each other is for the birds. Any form of "shielding " that means you are unable to enjoy the very point of living is pointless.  If these ridiculous rules are still un place come Christmas then I hope the Police have a busy night😂

manaliveits105

Almost a third of Britons reported to have died from coronavirus in July and August passed away due to other reasons, Oxford University researchers have said.

They found that the official Covid-19 death statistics included anyone who died after testing positive for the virus – even if they had later been hit by a car or had had a heart attack.

The study found coronavirus was not the main cause of death in 465 cases out of 1,617 people recorded as dying from Covid-19 over the summer months. 

Dr Jason Oke, from the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford University, told The Daily Telegraph: ‘The true death rate is important to know because it gives us an idea of impact.’

The latest study came as it emerged that Covid-19 is no longer in the top ten of England’s biggest killers.

Official figures revealed the virus dropped from eighth place last month to 24th, with dementia and heart disease at the top of the list

FFS - can we not get accurate stats about how many people have actually died from covid 19 - it also rips my knitting when NS announces low figures - but this of course is due to the weekend or somebody (ONS?) only produces these stats once a week on a Wednesday etc - its a pandemic get them all in 7 days a week/24/7 shifts to register and accurately count deaths as they happen - dont just accept crap figures

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Governments have no place deciding who is "vulnerable" . Set out the options and everyone makes their own choice. The idea that 3 generation families will not have a normal Christmas day with each other is for the birds. Any form of "shielding " that means you are unable to enjoy the very point of living is pointless.  If these ridiculous rules are still un place come Christmas then I hope the Police have a busy night😂

Yep Xmas will certainly not be cancelled for most people.. Ofcourse what will happen if there is a lockdown in place then or regulations they will stall it for the Xmas day and the dafties will be so " grateful" that the Govt has a " heart" and then gladly go back into their enforced prisons from the next day.  " Boris saves Xmas" will be emblazoned over the media. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
21 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

i agree they should be guidelines where people should have the choice to accept the recommendation or not

like many other things that choice may have an affect on the level of support they receive

informed choices should be offered - the extreme case of terminally ill folk who I’m sure would prefer a decent last Christmas (think they may be exempt already) rather than extend a lonely life for a few months

its just an option and one which already has some sort of framework

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Almost a third of Britons reported to have died from coronavirus in July and August passed away due to other reasons, Oxford University researchers have said.

They found that the official Covid-19 death statistics included anyone who died after testing positive for the virus – even if they had later been hit by a car or had had a heart attack.

The study found coronavirus was not the main cause of death in 465 cases out of 1,617 people recorded as dying from Covid-19 over the summer months. 

Dr Jason Oke, from the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at Oxford University, told The Daily Telegraph: ‘The true death rate is important to know because it gives us an idea of impact.’

The latest study came as it emerged that Covid-19 is no longer in the top ten of England’s biggest killers.

Official figures revealed the virus dropped from eighth place last month to 24th, with dementia and heart disease at the top of the list

FFS - can we not get accurate stats about how many people have actually died from covid 19 - it also rips my knitting when NS announces low figures - but this of course is due to the weekend or somebody (ONS?) only produces these stats once a week on a Wednesday etc - its a pandemic get them all in 7 days a week/24/7 shifts to register and accurately count deaths as they happen - dont just accept crap figures

I think because we don't know enough about whether CV19 had an impact - what if CV19 was a catalyst in their heart attack? Long covid could play a role in that.

But I agree with differentiating them in the stats.

15 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep Xmas will certainly not be cancelled for most people.. Ofcourse what will happen if there is a lockdown in place then or regulations they will stall it for the Xmas day and the dafties will be so " grateful" that the Govt has a " heart" and then gladly go back into their enforced prisons from the next day.  " Boris saves Xmas" will be emblazoned over the media. 

Probably with a picture of Boris carving a turkey for good measure🤣.  I don't know how we have got to a point where govts have been able to micromanage people's lives. Matt Hancock actually stated, albeit with the ubiquitous pink tie and silly wee NHS badge, that the 10pm curfew had saved, and I quote "thousands of lives" 😂. Seriously  how can anyone get away with unsubstantiated comments like that. Anyway, Christmas,  as you say, will not be cancelled for the masses. 🍷🍺

28 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Well, it does make you think. If it was as serious as they like us to think it is then 9-5 Mon - Fri hours probably wouldn't apply👍

Well that's new. 

Just ran to catch the bus (which is probably the most exercise I've done since this all started). Managed to catch it after the bus driver saw my heroic attempt and slowed down. 

It is definitely not easy trying to breathe through a mask after a quick sprint. Thought I was going to have to get off after a stop as I was struggling. 

Clearly need to be more punctual nowadays. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Probably with a picture of Boris carving a turkey for good measure🤣.  I don't know how we have got to a point where govts have been able to micromanage people's lives. Matt Hancock actually stated, albeit with the ubiquitous pink tie and silly wee NHS badge, that the 10pm curfew had saved, and I quote "thousands of lives" 😂. Seriously  how can anyone get away with unsubstantiated comments like that. Anyway, Christmas,  as you say, will not be cancelled for the masses. 🍷🍺

👍

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Actually the 10 pm curfew has been criticised as people are crowding out of pubs at the same times, the Tube is rammed in London, people pissed not social distancing. Best to have staggered closing times like it should be. Pardon the " staggered " pun lol

42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually the 10 pm curfew has been criticised as people are crowding out of pubs at the same times, the Tube is rammed in London, people pissed not social distancing. Best to have staggered closing times like it should be. Pardon the " staggered " pun lol

Yes, was out a week past Friday and that's exactly what happened,  pub emptied at 10pm and the streets were packed and no taxis available.  It's a ridiculous idea.

Have been down in Dorset for the last week and it's much the same. Last orders at 9.15pm and out for 9.45 but there is definitely less mask wearing down there, in some places, shops erc

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, was out a week past Friday and that's exactly what happened,  pub emptied at 10pm and the streets were packed and no taxis available.  It's a ridiculous idea.

Have been down in Dorset for the last week and it's much the same. Last orders at 9.15pm and out for 9.45 but there is definitely less mask wearing down there, in some places, shops erc

My mate was in Wales last week and he was shocked at the lack of mask wearing too.  Yes I think the 10pm curfew will be the first to be repealed.  Restaurants in particular have suffered as their best sitting is 830 pm so everything has to be rushed etc. Shambles really. 

JudyJudyJudy

Seen this on Facebook another casualty of lockdowns. 

"The relapse and overdose rate has increased by 30% since March 2020. 🥺 Mental health issues related to our lock down and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression.
MIND has a 24-hour helpline: 0300 123 3011"

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The damage done by lockdown/Covid measures will cause more long term death and suffering than the virus. Johnson, Sturgeon and all their advisors should be treated with same contempt we reserve for mass murderers. They've had the stats for long enough now. They know they are doing more harm than good. And yet they continue in their wobbly trail of destruction.

I know its shamefull

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

My mate was in Wales last week and he was shocked at the lack of mask wearing too.  Yes I think the 10pm curfew will be the first to be repealed.  Restaurants in particular have suffered as their best sitting is 830 pm so everything has to be rushed etc. Shambles really. 

Yes, exactly.  I think bar service was still  the norm in England/Wales up until the rule of 6 kicked in last week. Up here iirc, it's been table service since July.  Was planning to stop overnight near Knutsford last night but, given the situation in the North west right now, we just decided to head straight up the road.

heartstastic

This is a document from the WHO on guidelines and mitigating measure during influenza epidemic/pandemics.

It's a long document but the sections on personal protection measures and social distancing measures are a little contradictory to what we are currently experincing..infact most of the documents recommendations seems at odds with the response from Government.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/329438/9789241516839-eng.pdf

3 hours ago, heartstastic said:

This is a document from the WHO on guidelines and mitigating measure during influenza epidemic/pandemics.

It's a long document but the sections on personal protection measures and social distancing measures are a little contradictory to what we are currently experincing..infact most of the documents recommendations seems at odds with the response from Government.

Not how I read the bit about face masks, essential for symptomatic cases and highly recommended for asymptomatic cases during a pandemic. The government wants us all to behave like we are asymptomatic.

Seymour M Hersh
14 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

When, in England and Wales they are working on the theory of 28 days then probably not . In practice if you are diagnosed with CoVid and die within 28 days then CoVid is what goes down on the death certificate. I appreciate getting knocked down and killed by a bus but it still going down as a CoVid death may be king it to an unlikely extreme but it does show the laziness in this theory. 

Seymour M Hersh
12 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

And how exactly would that work? Bar A. shuts at nine but bar B shuts at 10. Punters exit Bar A at nine and head straight to Bar B. 

11 hours ago, jonesy said:

The damage done by lockdown/Covid measures will cause more long term death and suffering than the virus. 

Yeah, Covid-19 only causes short term death, which is fine. 

11 hours ago, heartstastic said:

This is not an influenza pandemic. 

Boris slavering shite on the Marr show.   Trying to maintain the message of crisis and caution and trying to be boosterism Boris at the same time.   A total mess.   Marr doesn't help  of course.   A shitshow of an interviewer.

3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You don't think any lessons can be learnt from an influenza pandemic? Why should the government/we listen to any scientists/epidemiologists? They have absolutely no experience of this virus.

:sarcasm:

Just now, graygo said:

You don't think any lessons can be learnt from an influenza pandemic? Why should the government/we listen to any scientists/epidemiologists? They have absolutely no experience of this virus.

:sarcasm:

Of course lessons can be learnt. They can also change the measures since this is a different virus. 

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Of course lessons can be learnt. They can also change the measures since this is a different virus. 

That's fine Ray but you can't just pick the bits that suit your narrative and dismiss the bits that don't, not that I'm suggesting you're doing that.

been here before
8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Saw this earlier 😂

B4E21C32-F5B4-42BC-B454-909E94962BAB.jpeg

Aye, thats genuine right enough. :rolleyes:

Slower than usual day in sunny Hamilton?

Edited by been here before

Governor Tarkin
50 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I'll forgive you because it's Sunday morning, but if you're (incorrectly) going to try to use syntax to win arguments then you've pretty much run out of ideas. The discussion equivalent of playing Eggert Jonsson up front. 

:lol:

38 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's fine Ray but you can't just pick the bits that suit your narrative and dismiss the bits that don't, not that I'm suggesting you're doing that.

You can't just pick recommended actions against a different virus and complain that we're not doing exactly the same for this one. 

Seymour M Hersh
40 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Saw this earlier 😂

B4E21C32-F5B4-42BC-B454-909E94962BAB.jpeg

One section of society might be extremely keen to take them up on that offer. 

18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You can't just pick recommended actions against a different virus and complain that we're not doing exactly the same for this one. 

You're just messing with ma heid now. 🥴

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And how exactly would that work? Bar A. shuts at nine but bar B shuts at 10. Punters exit Bar A at nine and head straight to Bar B. 

Seen that happen all the time when I worked in the pub trade, if another pub had a late licence there used to be a mass exodus when we were closing and vice versa if we had a late licence, mass influx when the other pubs shut.

heartstastic
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I would say it is though. When it first reared it's head in the media the symptoms listed were almost an exact match for any cold/flu that we've all experienced. It was only in the weeks after that they started listing all sorts of other supposed symptoms that were trying to give the perception of the super virus from hell. The now revised figures from the cdc and other bodies around the world also back up that what is currently going around is a bad flu season. This 'long covid' thing is no different from suffering a bad flu...i had it when i was 21. I was rooted to the couch for 4 weeks..a trip to the toliet 15 feet away would take a literal 2 mins to get too. Wasn't back to myself for a good 2/3 months.

I still would not categorise this as a pandemic anyhow..maybe in the first couple of months when there were a lot of unknowns but from personal experience i know of no one that has had it and still yet to see the evidence for overrun medical facilities apart from that Italian hospital footage which was also used in the America on several networks to  say the hospitals in New York were overrun.

I mean what virus have you ever had in your life that you need to be tested to find out you had it...your body tells you when it's not well, not a test.

If no one had access to a tv or screens...would anyone be aware that there was a pandemic?...i would say an emphatic no.

Edited by heartstastic

1 minute ago, heartstastic said:

I would say it is though. When it first reared it's head in the media the symptoms listed were almost an exact match for any cold/flu that we've all experienced. It was only in the weeks after that they started listing all sorts of other supposed symptoms that were trying to give the perception of the super virus from hell. The now revised figures from the cdc and other bodies around the world also back up that what is currently going around is a bad flu season. This 'long covid' thing is no different from suffering a bad flu...i had it when i was 21. I was rooted to the couch for 4 weeks..a trip to the toliet 15 feet away would take a literal 2 mins to get too. Wasn't back to myself for a good 2/3 months.

I still would not categorise this as a pandemic anyhow..maybe in the first couple of months when there were a lot of unknowns but from personal experience i know of no one that has had it and still yet to see the evidence for overrun medical facilities apart from that Italian hospital footage which was also used in the America on several networks to  say the hospitals in New York were overrun.

I mean what virus have you ever had in your life that you need to be tested to find out you had it...your body tells you when it's not well, not a test.

If no one had access to a tv or screens...would anyone be aware that there was a pandemic?...i would say an emphatic no.

:cornette: 

@ pretty much every sentence you've written there.

4 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

:rofl:

Most comprehensive load of nonsense ever.    

heartstastic

This is how i picture Raygin and Victorian..you lads are desperate to keep this charade going...shouting down all others that don't go along with your narratives. Meanwhile most reasonable, rational people can see this is not as dangerous as being made out and would like to get on with there lives before any more damage is done to them and there loved ones physically, mentally and finacially.

Statler_and_Waldorf.jpg

Wonder how many lives are going to be lost through mass unemployment and mental health. 

One thing is for sure I expect it to be much more than from a virus

8 out of 10 ICU patients now surviving, thanks to UK drugs trials that administer 2 cheap drugs that raise the odds of survival. Big improvement from the 50% survival chances back in April and yet another bit of positive news.

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

This has got to be a joke right? Asking pubs to stay open after the supposed curfew if Scotland game goes to pens :lol: 

Thankfully barely anyone cares about the national team any more

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic