Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Generally vaccines gives you a very small dose and the theory is it kicks in the immune response in simplest terms. 

However, what is unusual is giving the vaccine. Then giving a challenge dose of COVID. I assume this is being done to short cut testing period. 

I did post an article so you could the info there.

Are there challenge trials going ahead?   I saw it suggested by some scientists but that is quite a step to take.

Shooter McGavin
21 hours ago, Victorian said:

:interehjrling:

One is a comment on how the media hyped it up beyond recognition, remember all the ICU footage and the fact that it wasn’t made clear that only the most vulnerable in society end up in ICU? I don’t necessarily think you need to be a  medical expert to recall how Covid-19 was reported to have a much higher death rate than what we’ve seen play out since.

The other is a comment on the comparison to the flu, in which I believe some medical background is needed to make comment, therefore I haven’t claimed it to be less/more dangerous than the flu.

Thanks.

I see the news story now.   Discussions about UK government funded challenge trials.   Possibly starting January.   "No contracts have been signed... ".

A bit of time for the right people to buy up equity in the right companies,  etc.

Aside from that,  this strongly suggests there wont be a vaccine licensed for use via the normal trials for a while yet.   

Guy I know pretty well at work picked it up in the very early stages.

Other than that it's just friends of friends.

Good chance we've had it and didn't know though. Complete luck of the draw

Just now, Victorian said:

I see the news story now.   Discussions about UK government funded challenge trials.   Possibly starting January.   "No contracts have been signed... ".

A bit of time for the right people to buy up equity in the right companies,  etc.

Aside from that,  this strongly suggests there wont be a vaccine licensed for use via the normal trials for a while yet.   

Hancock said one would be available early next year which of course means July.... 2022

I do know people who have had Covid-19.

My downstairs neighbour died of it.

My Dad's old boss and his wife both died of it.

One of my friends who is super fit and runs ultra marathons had it and now has permanent lung and heart damage and may never run another marathon.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I limit the amount of news I watch on TV as that never ending depressing news isn't good for your mental health.

In saying that, neither is spending too much time on this thread.

:facepalm:

BBC is the worst.From doom and gloom to pure joy and back again ,  whatever the government prompts them to do.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

I do know people who have had Covid-19.

My downstairs neighbour died of it.

My Dad's old boss and his wife both died of it.

One of my friends who is super fit and runs ultra marathons had it and now has permanent lung and heart damage and may never run another marathon.

I'm guessing your mate had strong symptoms? If not then that's pretty scary 

Just now, vegas-voss said:

BBC is the worst.From doom and gloom to pure joy and back again ,  whatever the government prompts them to do.

Off topic from TV, how bad is social media!?

If only science companies scouted social media for staff we'd be safe and sound

Just now, Lord BJ said:

The chat of a vaccine being ready by the end of the year/start of next year has always felt fanciful to me. I don’t think we will see one for next year, 

I think, the fastest vaccine ever developed took 5 years. Even is we did it twice as quick is still probably a couple of years until ready to go. By the time regular punters get it would probably another 12-18 months after that, 

That’s probably why I’m so keen to find a balance as opposed to kicking the can down the road 

Has there ever been a race like this to create one though? 

Technology is also better these days

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The chat of a vaccine being ready by the end of the year/start of next year has always felt fanciful to me. I don’t think we will see one for next year, 

I think, the fastest vaccine ever developed took 5 years. Even is we did it twice as quick is still probably a couple of years until ready to go. By the time regular punters get it would probably another 12-18 months after that, 

That’s probably why I’m so keen to find a balance as opposed to kicking the can down the road 

It's interesting that moves to a challenge trials have coincided with some of the chat from Whitty and Vallance re vaccine timescale and the latest restrictions + timescale suggested.   It could possibly suggest a strategy.    Restruction and suppression makes much more sense if there's a strategy like that.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Gone said:

Off topic from TV, how bad is social media!?

If only science companies scouted social media for staff we'd be safe and sound

It’s like anything now though from Scottish indy to brexit etc. Facebook especially has to be one of the worst things ever shat into creation. The GTA spoof Life Invader is more like it. 
We all lose our mind a bit reading it and sometimes you lose your mind posting about it an all...

:muggy:

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Couldn’t agree more mate and particularly this long covid stuff were being fed now. It’s like they don’t think we’re aren’t afraid enough they’ve got to keep ramping it up. 
I don’t like conspiracy theories at all but I have to admit this whole things leaves me feeling weird. 

I think the Long Covid thing is a bit insiduous. It is presented as if it is unique or exceptional when in fact all serious illnesses and infections (and some not so serious ones) can have long lasting after-effects..

Yet I have never heard the phrases Long Influenza, Long Pneumonia, Long Bronchitis (just to list a few infections that bear some similarity to Covid19).

Figures for Long Covid I have seen cover everyone with a symptom which is common to Covid 19 eg fatigue or muscle pain.

If pneumonia is not treated properly it can cause permanent lung damage and we know early Covid 19 patients received treatment that it emerged was actually damaging their lungs - do they have an illness called called Long Covid or the after effect of mistreament of Covid?

I believe up  to 50% of all ICU patients require care after recovery - sometimes long term. No doubt this is true of those who were treated with Covid19, but in what sense is it "Long Covid". 

And if you have an underlying condition that is worsened by an attack of Covid19  do you have Long Covid or a worsening of your pre-existing condition which might (probably given time would) have worsened anyway?

(We also need to be a little cautious with emotional anecdotal evidence not based on any science. We had lots of that during the MMR controversy).

Edited by Francis Albert

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

This thread in the last couple of hours :gok:

Deep state conspiracies, brainwashing 

:cornette:

It's also weird how all the flat earthers have never known anyone who got the virus. I've known 3 people in my small group of family and close friends. One was fine, one felt crap for a few days, and one who was really ill for weeks but thankfully now back to work

I teach two pharmacists here who work for the Spanish Agency dealing with which medicines do or don’t meet the European criteria etc. and they told me yesterday there’s no way they would be taking anything that’s produced within the next few months. Of course it might be absolutely fine and fingers crossed it is but it doesn’t sit right with them that something they’ve always seen to take years to develop is being done so quickly. 

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the Long Covid thing is a bit insiduous. It is presented as if it is unique or exceptional when in fact all serious illnesses and infections (and some not so serious ones) can have long lasting after-effects..

Yet I have never heard the phrases Long Influenza, Long Pneumonia, Long Bronchitis (just to list a few infections that bear some similarity to Covid19).

Figures for Long Covid I have seen cover everyone with a symptom which is common to Covid 19 eg fatigue or muscle pain.

If pneumonia is not treated properly it can cause permanent lung damage and we know early Covid 19 patients received treatment that it emerged was actually damaging their lungs - do they have an illness called called Long Covid or the after effect of mistreament of Covid?

I believe up  to 50% of all ICU patients require care after recovery - sometimes long term. No doubt this is true of those who were treated with Covid19, but in what sense is it "Long Covid". 

And if you have an underlying condition that is worsened by an attack of Covid19  do you have Long Covid or a worsening of your pre-existing condition which might (probably given time would) have worsened anyway?

(We also need to be a little cautious with emotional anecdotal evidence not based on any science. We had lots of that during the MMR controversy).

I've never heard of anyone having the flu and still being ill 6 months later, which is perhaps why we don't get "Long Flu".

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've never heard of anyone having the flu and still being ill 6 months later, which is perhaps why we don't get "Long Flu".

YOu never heard of ME?

Or post viral fatigue syndrome?

Or Guillaine Barre syndrome?

Oh well, guess they are all fabrications then

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I had never heard that 800k under 5s, worldwide,  had died from pneumonia in 2017 either. Invent a term like "long Covid", refer to it daily, and the public are hooked. Why do we never hear about the long term effects of other respiratory illnesses? The cancer patients who have missed out on life saving treatment? The elderly who are in constant pain having waited for procedures for months and are now having to wait again? Why are we so obsessed with Covid that it seems  to trump all other illnesses while affecting such a small percentage of the population?

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If we counted people with a headache or tiredness six months after they had flu as suffering from something called long flu then you would have heard of it. 

Is it not the case that our immune systems do not protect the upper respiratory tract particularly well and as that’s what Covid-19 attacks, any vaccine will be extremely difficult to  make? 

Of course, governments across the planet are throwing everything at it and we live in hope.

Given the complexities involved however, like other’s, I’d be surprised if there was anything found within the next few years...then there’s the manufacturing and distribution to deal with.

22 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

YOu never heard of ME?

Or post viral fatigue syndrome?

Or Guillaine Barre syndrome?

Oh well, guess they are all fabrications then

Can you catch these from other people?

So Patrick Vallance, Chief Scientific Adviser and scaremonger extraordinaire,  has a £600k shareholding in one of the firms, GlaxoSmithKline, contracted to develop a vaccine for the govt??  Who would have thought it?

17 hours ago, graygo said:

Shite advice to give to anyone who is exempt.

If you're exempt from wearing a face covering, maybe going out to a pub or restaurant during a pandemic is a bad idea. Maybe just cook dinner at home or make coffee in your own kitchen.

Fortunately plenty of retail / hospitality places now making mask wearing mandatory, even if you are exempt or pretending to be.

Have a thought and a bit of care for the people who work in these places. 

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If you're exempt from wearing a face covering, maybe going out to a pub or restaurant during a pandemic is a bad idea. Maybe just cook dinner at home or make coffee in your own kitchen.

Fortunately plenty of retail / hospitality places now making mask wearing mandatory, even if you are exempt or pretending to be.

This 

4 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Until this week these staff that need thought and a bit of care of weren't required to wear a face mask, nobody gave a shit about the customers then.

Edited by graygo

29 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I had never heard that 800k under 5s, worldwide,  had died from pneumonia in 2017 either. Invent a term like "long Covid", refer to it daily, and the public are hooked. Why do we never hear about the long term effects of other respiratory illnesses? The cancer patients who have missed out on life saving treatment? The elderly who are in constant pain having waited for procedures for months and are now having to wait again? Why are we so obsessed with Covid that it seems  to trump all other illnesses while affecting such a small percentage of the population?

I've always said daily or weekly road traffic deaths/ serious injuries should be given as tv broadcasts. To help change behaviour. 

Covid would certainly get some perspective if a lot of  health indicators were stated in the same way at daily press conferences. 

Dennis Reynolds
7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So Patrick Vallance, Chief Scientific Adviser and scaremonger extraordinaire,  has a £600k shareholding in one of the firms, GlaxoSmithKline, contracted to develop a vaccine for the govt??  Who would have thought it?

I mean, he was a president at GSK for a number of years so is it really that surprising?

I would hope it was declared but if not, certainly a bit wierd and should be looked into. Was there not something about Cummings and his Barnard Castle trip that may or may not have had something to do with GSK?

They're certainly at the back of the pack in vaccine development for this though.

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Until this week these staff that need thought and a bit of care of weren't required to wear a face mask, nobody gave a shit about the customers then.

Bullshit. Retail and hospitality staff been wearing masks since lockdown ended and retail / hospitality opened.

They are working ten times harder to maintain the guidelines SG put in place, taking a lot more abuse from weirdos for enforcing mask wearing and track n trace. All while getting paid the same money. The least any of us can do is put a mask on for them and make them feel safer in their place of work.

If someone won't do that, it says a lot about them. It also says they're a prick.

Samuel Camazzola
10 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

The first paragraph is a bit of a nonsense. Someone could be exempt for a reason which makes them no more at risk than anyone else. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The first paragraph is a bit of a nonsense. Someone could be exempt for a reason which makes them no more at risk than anyone else. 

Like I said, if you can't wear a mask for 5 mins when out buying a coffee or other luxury items, you shouldn't be out in a pandemic. Think about the person who's at risk having to serve you.

Just now, Brian Dundas said:

For those of you who are interested in the wider implications of Covid and Public Health here are a couple of webinars you might be interested in (They are an hour long so not for everyone but some might find the time, I do feel a bit like a conspiracy theorist posting these)

There is plenty of interest in them and they are from the PHE community in Scotland, not just idiots like me on the internet.

Thanks Brian. Will try to get a look at those at some point. Can you summarise?

10 minutes ago, LMc said:

I mean, he was a president at GSK for a number of years so is it really that surprising?

I would hope it was declared but if not, certainly a bit wierd and should be looked into. Was there not something about Cummings and his Barnard Castle trip that may or may not have had something to do with GSK?

They're certainly at the back of the pack in vaccine development for this though.

I'm not sure about the Cummings trip? Maybe GSK had some involvement in his eye test😂

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Heard that on the radio this morning. Mancock was interviewed and he knew nothing about it. 

The government and its agencies are rotten to the core. 

The Mighty Thor
36 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

19 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Like I said, if you can't wear a mask for 5 mins when out buying a coffee or other luxury items, you shouldn't be out in a pandemic. Think about the person who's at risk having to serve you.

:spoton:

Most of those refusing to wearing a mask have **** all wrong with them other than they're *****.

Oh and if you are that delicate then you should be in the house using Tesco online. 

Instead of having very costly challenge trials,  they should just vaccinate all students in halls of residences and leave them to having their YOONY EXPEERYUNCE.    It would amount to a free de facto challenge trial seeing as these goons seem determined to catch CV.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Heard that on the radio this morning. Mancock was interviewed and he knew nothing about it. 

The government and its agencies are rotten to the core. 

Yes, completely agree.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:rofl:

You're kidding, right?

At the last official count north of the border there was 45% who'd been successfully state brainwashed. 

Assuming the 45% have brains in the first place.

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Instead of having very costly challenge trials,  they should just vaccinate all students in halls of residences and leave them to having their YOONY EXPEERYUNCE.    It would amount to a free de facto challenge trial seeing as these goons seem determined to catch CV.

Absolutely. Then just televise the event and call it................oh I don't know.......yes, call it Big Brother. A sure ratings smash hit. :lol:

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Assuming the 45% have brains in the first place.

Doesn't say much about the other 55% whom require daily propaganda from the British media to form their opinions and thoughts. 

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Couldn’t agree more mate and particularly this long covid stuff were being fed now. It’s like they don’t think we’re aren’t afraid enough they’ve got to keep ramping it up. 
I don’t like conspiracy theories at all but I have to admit this whole things leaves me feeling weird. 

Agree too . On bbc Scotland news they wheeled out a  “ healthy “ guy who supposedly had “ long covid “ but I think there were some suspicions regarding him ( possibly had underlying health conditions ) which weren’t reported . . Anyway he looked like shit when discussing it 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Doesn't say much about the other 55% whom require daily propaganda from the British media to form their opinions and thoughts. 

And on cue one arrives. :rofl:

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

:spoton:

Most of those refusing to wearing a mask have **** all wrong with them other than they're *****.

Oh and if you are that delicate then you should be in the house using Tesco online. 

This

and I’ve seen people who claim they have asthma and can’t wear mask - yet they are ok to smoke - right selfish twits 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Absolutely. Then just televise the event and call it................oh I don't know.......yes, call it Big Brother. A sure ratings smash hit. :lol:

I'm a student,  stretcher me out of here.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Agree too . On bbc Scotland news they wheeled out a  “ healthy “ guy who supposedly had “ long covid “ but I think there were some suspicions regarding him ( possibly had underlying health conditions ) which weren’t reported . . Anyway he looked like shit when discussing it 

What age bracket was he in. ?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic