Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Housing benefit shouldn't exist in the first place; all it is is public funds being used to keep the housing market inflated.

Taxpayer's money is being shovelled directly into landlords pockets.

It's a state subsidy on rental greed.

Nothing more, nothing less.

This keeps rents artificially high which in turn pushes house prices up as houses are seen a good investment which in turn is what the entire UK economy is built on. 

In a true free market economy, the rate of rent would be far lower because that would be what the market could take.

But due to housing benefit distorting the market, it's not.

Completely agree . Edinburgh needs a rent cap on its properties . The argument against this is that landlords wouldn’t rent their tenancies out ! Rubbish ! They would as no one else would then rent it from them are their inflated prices . Lots of decent landlords but plenty scum ones raking in a fortune for over priced flats . 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You've got a point, but with advances in science and technology you would think that things could get done a lot quicker.

People will always be sceptical because for the last 100 years it's always taken a long time to find a vaccine.

The big difference here this time is that instead of just one or two labs working on a vaccine for whatever disease, we have pretty much every top scientist/doctor in the world in this field all working on the same project at the same time, albeit many from slightly different directions, but all have the same ultimate goal in mind of developing a vaccine.

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Housing benefit shouldn't exist in the first place; all it is is public funds being used to keep the housing market inflated.

This keeps rents artificially high which in turn pushes house prices up as houses are seen a good investment which in turn is what the entire UK economy is built on. 

In a true free market economy, the rate of rent would be far lower because that would be what the market could take.

But due to housing benefit distorting the market, it's not.

🙌🙌🙌

Great post!!!

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Still too many, tho, Nucks. 

Anyway, my sportie had the lights on this morning, for the first time since March. 

:yas:  The gym is opening! Tick tock! 

I think they should keep gyms closed for good tbh, sweating and spreading that mad killer disease everywhere and boo feckin hoo to anyone that owns them or goes to them. 

The Internet

Is ludicrous that gyms haven't opened yet with the amount of time that pubs have been open. And that's before you take into account this mental 50% off all restaurants thing. 

Edited by Mauricio Pinilla

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I think they should keep gyms closed for good tbh, sweating and spreading that mad killer disease everywhere and boo feckin hoo to anyone that owns them or goes to them. 

:spoton:

Just a place for the lonely and the poseurs to go to when they need their egos stroked 

::troll::

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Hopefully they open the gyms and the sweaty disease vectors all infect each other and die. Boo hoo.

Westminsters fault.

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Like the pub and all the pish head allies, who can handle life without there Pals, Aw. And who think they're invisible after a few pints. I'll take my chances with the fit folk, not the jake balls. 

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Hopefully they open the gyms and the sweaty disease vectors all infect each other and die. Boo hoo.

Westminsters fault.

Na, just Unionists. Hopefully. 

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Cade said:

What about housing benefit or some form or rent relief for those in social/council housing?

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Like the pub and all the pish head allies, who can handle life without there Pals, Aw. 

That's easy for some kent with nae pals to say.

Nucky Thompson

Citizens of Beijing can go mask-free for the first time in months, health authorities said on Friday, as new cases continued to decline in the Chinese capital 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

:spoton:

Just a place for the lonely and the poseurs to go to when they need their egos stroked 

This

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Westminsters fault.

Absolutely this

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Like the pub and all the pish head allies, who can handle life without there Pals, Aw. And who think they're invisible after a few pints. I'll take my chances with the fit folk, not the jake balls. 

You’ll be world heavyweight boxing champion in a matter of weeks again pal. 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You sure you're not one of the pish heads given that paragraph? 😂😂

doctor jambo
9 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

What about housing benefit or some form or rent relief for those in social/council housing?

I believe if you are out of work and living in social housing then there should be no rent at all.

Scrap housing benefit, install rent caps,

Having also worked in addictions for some time previously I also believe that for the poorest in society we should also make their electricity free.

I dont see any point in pretending to look after the poorest families then letting thier kids grown up cold in the winter.

Streamline the benefits system- free housing and free electricity/gas.

I'd also install a quota for private schools to have at least 5% off all pupils from workless families to earn their charitable status ( my kids are at such institutions and the kids on bursaries are as far removed from being poor as you could get)

AlphonseCapone
41 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

How am I going to get evidence :lol:

What do you want me to do, go and chap on all the junkies and chavs doors who are in social housing and spending their housing benefit?

Or are you saying this never happens?

Anyway I'm out of the political discussion that Cade seems to want to take this thread down every day.

Simple, don't make sweeping generalisations when you can't back up what you're saying. I'm sure it happens, everything does. Doesn't mean everyone or even the majority are doing it. 

But agree, we should drop the political type chat on this thread. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I believe if you are out of work and living in social housing then there should be no rent at all.

Having also worked in addictions for some time previously I also believe that for the poorest in society we should also make their electricity free.

I dont see any point in pretending to look after the poorest families then letting thier kids grown up cold in the winter.

I'd also install a quota for private schools to have at least 5% off all pupils from workless families to earn their charitable status ( my kids are at such institutions and the kids on bursaries are as far removed from being poor as you could get)

Agreed.

The nub of the issue is a dearth of decent social housing.

For those in privately rented accomodation who temporarilly find themselves in a bit of a fix through no fault of their own then housing benefit can be a lifeline.

There's little tangible benefit bar rabble rousing to be gained from sweeping statements like the one I quoted.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

There's an estimated 40,000 imminent eviction notices pending in England.   That's a small city.    The government is doing **** all about it.

Where, LEGOLAND?

10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We've banged heads politically before on here doc, but great post 👍👌

Some smashing posts on here today. 

Edited by Taffin

Buzzing for the gyms re-opening, I'll be going morning, noon and evening. Apart from the mental side, I've  put on almost two stone, due to working from home and drinking a lot more.

I didn't drink at all at home before lockdown, only when I occasionally went out. Craft beer has been a nightmare for my belly and my hangovers!

Just now, OmiyaHearts said:

Buzzing for the gyms re-opening, I'll be going morning, noon and evening. Apart from the mental side, I've  put on almost two stone, due to working from home and drinking a lot more.

I didn't drink at all at home before lockdown, only when I occasionally went out. Craft beer has been a nightmare for my belly and my hangovers!

I finally went back yesterday. I've been pretty disciplined in my exercise at home but just hitting things I couldn't replicate well with my home set up has left me in bits today 😂

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Terrific posting 👍👍👍

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Some smashing posts on here today. 

I love how Nucky's gentle troll stimulated both internet indignation and reasonable debate.

You can't really ask for more on a family forum.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

AlphonseCapone
26 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I took for granted my 30 minute walk to and from work each day in terms of keeping me on the right side of the calorie deficit (most of the time). Same with things like walking to the tea point or toilet in the office and the distances involved compared to my flat. It all mounts up, especially when you've got a job that involves sitting on your arse anyway. 

I done some damage during the first few months of lockdown through a combination of work being insane, not getting myself into a routine of exercising, eat more than normal as an escape and definitely drinking more. It's a vicious and easy circle to fall into. 

Nucky Thompson
34 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Simple, don't make sweeping generalisations when you can't back up what you're saying. I'm sure it happens, everything does. Doesn't mean everyone or even the majority are doing it. 

But agree, we should drop the political type chat on this thread. 

The point I was trying to make, granted, not very well, was why did they change the system of paying housing benefit.

In the past the benefit was paid straight to the council/landlord, now it goes straight into the tenants bank account.

That's asking for trouble as some people will be tempted to spend the money on other things.

There must be loads of people in rent arrears that might not have been.

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The point I was trying to make, granted, not very well, was why did they change the system of paying housing benefit.

In the past the benefit was paid straight to the council/landlord, now it goes straight into the tenants bank account.

That's asking for trouble as some people will be tempted to spend the money on other things.

The above comes across a lot better and reasonable. I do agree paying it direct to the council or landlord seems like a no lose situation. 

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I always thought that people just got free rent until I read this 

Can’t believe they thought it would be a good idea to give people money and trust them to pay rent..... That’s madness 

37 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Im lucky I’ve no put on any weight but probably due to walking 2 hours nearly every day but like you I never drank in the house apart from Xmas or new year, not even one beer in the house 

Now I’ve always got beer in the back room and do like going out into the garden for a drink or putting YouTube music on and having drink in the house 

Not a good habit 

13 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

That video hasn't aged well, he referenced the negligible number of people dying in Spain, but hospitalisations are up 700 in the last week, and deaths have gone from 12 to 131. 

From today's Guardian

Screenshot_20200821-121420~2.png

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

That video hasn't aged well, he referenced the negligible number of people dying in Spain, but hospitalisations are up 700 in the last week, and deaths have gone from 12 to 131. 

From today's Guardian

On things not aging well, I said the other day the lack of hospitalisations and deaths here currently despite a small uptake in cases might be evidence of the virus weakening but it seems a lot of those being infected are now much younger so it might simply reflect the demographic of those being infected now rather than a substantial change to the virus. Though it still gives us interesting data on the virus impacts different types of people. 

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I finally went back yesterday. I've been pretty disciplined in my exercise at home but just hitting things I couldn't replicate well with my home set up has left me in bits today 😂

I'm dreading the morning after my first session at the gym, but also looking forward to the pain! I really lack discipline when I'm  not in the gym, I don't do running, so it's not been easy to find a replacement for weights in my wee flat. 

Now pubs are open, I've committed to stop house drinking again. I'm hoping to see things move in the right direction weight wise and mentally. Finally seeing things in a more positive light.

Just the wifes job that's concerning us now; staff hours being reduced, part timers laid off, reduced opening hours etc. It's not looking great but you never know, things seem to change overnight in the current situation.

12 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

From today's Guardian

The Public Health Director of Alicante stated that "although cases are rising, mortality rates and hospital admissions are very low. Something is certainly changing with the virus.."

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

From today's Guardian

131 deaths one day then next day 16 ! 

Ignoring social justice politics and back on topic re Covid

Deaths and intensive care may be falling and this is great but people that fall ill from Covid and recover are still left with a wide and puzzling array of permanent internal organ damage.

People may not be dying of it anymore, but they never fully recover either.

8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The Public Health Director of Alicante stated that "although cases are rising, mortality rates and hospital admissions are very low. Something is certainly changing with the virus.."

The thrust of the video is that although cases are rising this isn't resulting in deaths rising. So although compared to the peak the number dying is lower, they are rising, which rather counters the 'Casedemic' argument. It's also possible the virus is weakening at the same time, let's hope so.

5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The thrust of the video is that although cases are rising this isn't resulting in deaths rising. So although compared to the peak the number dying is lower, they are rising, which rather counters the 'Casedemic' argument. It's also possible the virus is weakening at the same time, let's hope so.

Yes, agreed. Time will tell. Let's hope that is the case

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

I'm a teacher and if you were able to visit a school just now you'd be shocked. The government have bowed down to parent power and have been playing political games for some time now. Schools needed to go back but not like this, totally unsafe and truly shocking. 

The situation is infuriating me even more now that I'm back at work with no PPE, no cleaning, no real measures and the fact that I still have to wait in a one in one out queue to get milk on the way home. Don't get me started on not being able to see Hearts. 

18 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

131 deaths one day then next day 16 ! 

The article suggests 131 is the weekly total, not the daily total, that's how I read it anyway. 

14 minutes ago, viva hate said:

I'm a teacher and if you were able to visit a school just now you'd be shocked. The government have bowed down to parent power and have been playing political games for some time now. Schools needed to go back but not like this, totally unsafe and truly shocking. 

The situation is infuriating me even more now that I'm back at work with no PPE, no cleaning, no real measures and the fact that I still have to wait in a one in one out queue to get milk on the way home. Don't get me started on not being able to see Hearts. 

What would the PPE you expect be, out of interest?

Back to 2005
17 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

The article suggests 131 is the weekly total, not the daily total, that's how I read it anyway. 

Spain has a population of 47 million....

doctor jambo
16 minutes ago, viva hate said:

My kids are all back and we have REALLY clear guidance in place for the kids to adhere to.

One way systems, face masks for certain situations, cleaning, hand gel, no school dinners, lunches outside, wearing PE kits all day so they can be washed, seperate entrances, staggered entry and leaving.

Its about 40 odd pages.

You should be getting the same PPE as a GP- we have disposable face masks and a plastic deli counter apron, + disposable gloves and a pair of DIY goggles.

you probably only need the mask and apron, and even then only if you are in close contact with the kids for >15 minutes- so probably not needing it very much.

This false perception of PPE as Hazmat suits is way wide of the mark.

Walter Bishop
21 minutes ago, viva hate said:

Totally disagree, the government bowed down to Teacher and Union power. Schools should never have shut. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What would the PPE you expect be, out of interest?

Teachers have been told that they can wear face masks or gloves of they want but won't be providing them. Considering the amount of money a lot of teachers spend on items just to be able to teach properly I think supplying masks is a reasonable think to ask. Our council provided us with hand sanitiser that contains no alcohol (the union checked it and its not effective). Staff have now had to buy their own.

Our rooms get cleaned once a month with electrostatic so there is no cleaning happening at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Totally disagree, the government bowed down to Teacher and Union power. Schools should never have shut. 

Maybe you're right but if it was serious enough to lockdown on the original figures then why are there now 1300 kids in one building. 

Walter Bishop
4 minutes ago, viva hate said:

Teachers have been told that they can wear face masks or gloves of they want but won't be providing them. Considering the amount of money a lot of teachers spend on items just to be able to teach properly I think supplying masks is a reasonable think to ask. Our council provided us with hand sanitiser that contains no alcohol (the union checked it and its not effective). Staff have now had to buy their own.

Our rooms get cleaned once a month with electrostatic so there is no cleaning happening at the moment. 

You just had a fully paid 4 month holiday, surely you could stretch to buying a few washable masks for £2 or £3 that you can reuse? (Not that you`ll need them!)

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

My kids are all back and we have REALLY clear guidance in place for the kids to adhere to.

One way systems, face masks for certain situations, cleaning, hand gel, no school dinners, lunches outside, wearing PE kits all day so they can be washed, seperate entrances, staggered entry and leaving.

Its about 40 odd pages.

You should be getting the same PPE as a GP- we have disposable face masks and a plastic deli counter apron, + disposable gloves and a pair of DIY goggles.

you probably only need the mask and apron, and even then only if you are in close contact with the kids for >15 minutes- so probably not needing it very much.

This false perception of PPE as Hazmat suits is way wide of the mark.

Yeh, that's what our school tells the parents as well. 

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, viva hate said:

Maybe you're right but if it was serious enough to lockdown on the original figures then why are there now 1300 kids in one building. 

Panic, scaremongering, fear and media pressure. 

There was and never has been any evidence to suggest closing of schools would do anything other than harm children`s education and basic human rights for years to come. 

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

You just had a fully paid 4 month holiday, surely you could stretch to buying a few washable masks for £2 or £3 that you can reuse? (Not that you`ll need them!)

I haven't been on hiday for four months. I get your point but teachers are always having to buy things for their classes and it just adds to that list. Do you have to buy equipment to do your job? 

Just now, viva hate said:

I'm not sure a mask would be considered PPE, imo anyway. That's a poor show about the hand sanitiser though, especially providing ineffective stuff instead. I doubt it's unique to teachers being short on stuff like that at work though. I was back at my part time job this week and there was no PPE provided beyond the usual to my knowledge, but I wasn't expecting there to be so didn't ask, maybe if I'd requested some they'd have provided it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic