Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I think the FM has been left shell shocked by this crisis.  When she took that role she probably never expected to have to make decisions on which thousands of lives were at stake (not least because foreign policy/defence is devolved).  Her approach now given the previous loss of life is maximum caution and I don’t think she should be criticised for that, these are unbelievably tough calls to make and having seen those deaths no one can blame her for doing everything to avoid a recurrence.

However where I do apportion some blame is the lack of dissenting/alternative opinions from her party.  The Tory’s and Labour have plenty of flaws but their back benches have and do routinely question and challenge the government on their approach and particularly on the balance between economy and health.  I feel the SG could do with  a similar level of debate being generated from within their party but I’m not seeing it.  

The maximum caution in relation to loss of life from Covid 19. All leaders have to recognise the other losses of life and weigh "maximum caution" taking account of those too. It's tough but that is what leaders have to do. (This applies equally to Boris of course).

(Of course deaths from delayed cancer and other treatments don't get so many headlines).

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Its on both BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time, which is a pain in the arse if you are popping in front of the TV for 20 mins to grab lunch and just want to catch general news or light TV.

Christ we've had more than 2 channels since the early 60's.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Did I ? I’m flattered that I have so much influence to cause “ hysteria” 😂😂

Ok, you were part of it. Now away and wash your messages. 😁

Nucky Thompson

812 new positive cases in UK out of 163,000 processed tests

16 deaths in all UK settings

895 people in hospital down from 980.

I heard a doctor on BBC breakfast saying that the virus appears to be weakening but he doesn't know if it will be more deadly again in the Winter.

That's the 2nd expert that has said that it's weakening in 2 days.

They know it's weakening and they now know that the people are starting to realise too.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I heard a doctor on BBC breakfast saying that the virus appears to be weakening but he doesn't know if it will be more deadly again in the Winter.

They know it's weakening and they now know that the people are starting to realise too.

I await the experts on here to endorse these experts.

:P

Nucky Thompson

Hospital admissions and deaths are going down so the virus appears to be weakening but we don't know if it will return in the Winter.

Words along those lines

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Hospital admissions and deaths are going down so the virus appears to be weakening but we don't know if it will return in the Winter.

Words along those lines

or lockdown, social distancing and masks etc are working. Add in better medical management and it may explain the figures. 
I hope the strain is weakening as that will undoubtedly help get us back to normal.

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Now Covid 19 is 1% of all deaths in the UK on an average day. Currently one seventh of flu and pneumonia deaths each day. We know flu and pneumonia deaths will get worse in winter. Covid 19 may or it may not. 

Dennis Reynolds
4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

None. 

3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Moving to next phase would be acknowledging that the virus is no longer a threat to public health. I can't see any politician publicly admitting that   although decreasing hospital admissions , and the continuing good news about no deaths, point to us being on the road to that stage, I don't think either the UK or Scottish govts will take that step imminently .

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Nothing certainly not going to phase 4 ! I’m fact can see some restrictions about people in other households visiting etc . Probably mump her gums yet again about pubs too 

Cheers for the replies. Maybe getting ahead of myself!

30 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

or lockdown, social distancing and masks etc are working. Add in better medical management and it may explain the figures. 
I hope the strain is weakening as that will undoubtedly help get us back to normal.

I was speaking to an ICU nurse at the weekend and she certainly commented that the procedures, drugs and care patients are now receiving if they are admitted to hospital is night and day from a few months ago.

54 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Did they say anything about why it is weakening or why it might strengthen in the winter? Don’t really get the reasoning there tbh.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, graygo said:

Ok, you were part of it. Now away and wash your messages. 😁

LOL... :) 

3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

I know someone working mental health NHS and they say they have a 5 year backlog 

Thats worrying if true. Can only see thst list growing too 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Did they say anything about why it is weakening or why it might strengthen in the winter? Don’t really get the reasoning there tbh.

He said infections were rising again but hospital admissions and deaths were dropping. 

I got the impression he was suggesting it had become less virulent but was being cautious about Winter

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I suppose if they keep on saying it on the telly then it's only a matter of time before the people tipple... 

3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unless it is a vote grabber, then neither SNP or Conservative governments could give a toss. Very much a case of Covid dominating and problems building up in background and being ignored because, well, it doesn't sound as exciting as pandemic. Working together has been abandoned and political point scoring is what it's all about. SNP led the way on that one through Sturgeons grandstanding and attention seeking but Boris playing same game now, so little sign of anything changing.

Shame as for a few weeks, it did look like a consensus approach would do well, but that's politicians for you.

Hard to disagree with any of that!

Weakened Offender
5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

It appears a disagreement between SG and Aberdeen Council over lifting instructions. Science following is also selective, 

Aberdeen/Grampian isn’t actually driven by pubs/nightlife issues. 

Aberdeen Council getting telt after a few years of getting wide. 

Fantastic days. 😊

17 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

He said infections were rising again but hospital admissions and deaths were dropping. 

I got the impression he was suggesting it had become less virulent but was being cautious about Winter

12 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I posted an article a couple of pages back. The short story is the strain of COVID-19 that we first saw doesn’t seem to be effecting us now. It’s a new strain called some collection of letters and numbers. It’s way more contagious but seems to be a lot less lethal, this seems to be the virus sweeping Western Europe and North America. 

The theory seems to be virus’s evolve to become more effective they try to increase contagion and reduce mortality. It’s how they thrive and survive.

I don’t think the concern is so much it strengthening in the winter, it just might be more contagious with colds etc. Though might hit harder as bodies fighting a lot of other virus at that time, NHS pressures etc

Cant say much about validity but certainly evidence pointing to Virus weakening beginning to emerge which is more empirical than personal experiences. 

Thank you guys. Will go back and read article you posted LBJ. 

Pope Francis demands Covid vaccines must be made available to the poor, open up the Vatican City bank vaults and guarantee it then. 

7 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Good post mate aye👍🏼
The daily fear mongering from the FM must stop too. She needs to back up. A lot. 

Thats not going to happen. She is thriving on these daily updates.  Same droning" information", like a bad sci fi film , same messages , same stats mainly , well certainly the deaths. I would say Phase 4 will be  delayed until **** knows when. Like her counterpart in New Zealand  she has locked herself in a corner with her and the GOVt punitive approach to the virus so   won't let go of it easily despite  the science.  Incredibly the sheep are supporting this.  :( 

2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Pope Francis demands Covid vaccines must be made available to the poor, open up the Vatican City bank vaults and guarantee it then. 

Could always sell a few of those priceless art works they have.

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Could always sell a few of those priceless art works they have.

Must be the biggest business in the world at present after the tourism industry going tits up.

11 minutes ago, OBE said:

Test it on the poor he says.

Real Christian of him.

On 18/08/2020 at 16:24, Lord BJ said:

https://apple.news/ACfzjrviuSraH6_eyoNz-AA

Interesting view that the virus is potentially weakening and we actually dealing with a specific mutation in U.K.. D614G which is way more infectious but less deadly that the initial COVID out break 

No idea on validity 🤷🏻‍♂️

41 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I posted an article a couple of pages back. The short story is the strain of COVID-19 that we first saw doesn’t seem to be effecting us now. It’s a new strain called some collection of letters and numbers. It’s way more contagious but seems to be a lot less lethal, this seems to be the virus sweeping Western Europe and North America. 

The theory seems to be virus’s evolve to become more effective they try to increase contagion and reduce mortality. It’s how they thrive and survive.

I don’t think the concern is so much it strengthening in the winter, it just might be more contagious with colds etc. Though might hit harder as bodies fighting a lot of other virus at that time, NHS pressures etc

Cant say much about validity but certainly evidence pointing to Virus weakening beginning to emerge which is more empirical than personal experiences. 

Two things in the article don't add up for me.

Firstly international travel has almost ground to a halt since March, so it seems unlikely that a new strain has recently swept Asia, Europe and North America, and replaced the existing strain.

Secondly the vast majority (99%?) of people that contract Covid survive, so a less deadly version would have a very small comparative advantage over the original strain, and a few months isn't enough to see any practical difference in the spread of the 2 strains.

5 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Real Christian of him.

Perfect time to return the collection money to the poor.

JudyJudyJudy

Brilliant video on Youtube of an armani clad " Journalist" interviewing a hospital consultant about CV.  Unfortunately for her he isn't playing the game with his answer despite her rude and aggressive ! questioning" and her complete lack of listening to what he is saying.  Its Spanish ( madrid)

I wonder how our ancestors would have dealt with Covid-19?

Probably just add it to the already huge list of diseases that could kill them and then get on with their day to day life.

IMO the lock-down was the right thing to do at the time, as we really didn't know what we were dealing with at that stage and needed to buy time to understand what we were dealing with, but now, now when we have a much better understanding of Covid-19, I'm not so sure that we still need all the restrictions anymore.

The virus isn't going away anytime soon, even with a vaccine, so the quicker we learn to live with it, just like previous generations learned to live with much deadlier diseases than Covid-19, then the quicker life can return back to something like the normal we are all craving for a return to.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably just add it to the already huge list of diseases that could kill them and then get on with their day to day life.

IMO the lock-down was the right thing to do at the time, as we really didn't know what we were dealing with at that stage and needed to buy time to understand what we were dealing with, but now, now when we have a much better understanding of Covid-19, I'm not so sure that we still need all the restrictions anymore.

The virus isn't going away anytime soon, even with a vaccine, so the quicker we learn to live with it, just like previous generations learned to live with much deadlier diseases than Covid-19, then the quicker life can return back to something like the normal we are all craving for a return to.

They quarantined the sick and let the healthy go about their business.  Total opposite of what we have done and yet society has meant to have progressed ? Bonkers. 

Nucky Thompson
38 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

If you scroll down to the graph on this then it very much looks like we are at the start of a 2nd wave across Europe. 

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

0.2 deaths per 100,000 over 14 days in the UK

So 1 death per half a million people over 14 days and some people are still panicking 

39 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

They quarantined the sick and let the healthy go about their business.  Total opposite of what we have done and yet society has meant to have progressed ? Bonkers. 

Yes, they did that.

Edinburgh had several dedicated 'fever' hospitals for victims of Cholera, Smallpox etc etc, so that the patients were kept away as much as possible from the 'normal' hospitals, such as the Royal.

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Why doesn't he just ask his god to make everyone immune? Prayers don't work now, huh? Weird that.

Toxteth O'Grady
45 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

0.2 deaths per 100,000 over 14 days in the UK

So 1 death per half a million people over 14 days and some people are still panicking 

Cases are rising rapidly - that’s all I’m saying. If deaths don’t go up at the same rate in 3 or 4 weeks then that would look new more promising 🤞

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Why doesn't he just ask his god to make everyone immune? 

Adam and Eve fecked it up for us :P

48 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Cases are rising rapidly - that’s all I’m saying. If deaths don’t go up at the same rate in 3 or 4 weeks then that would look new more promising 🤞

Cases have been rising for many weeks and hospital admissions are going down.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Real Christian of him.

Expecting Christianity from the pope would be in contention for at least a silver medal in the 'craziest things I've ever read on Kickback' olympics.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Dunno why they never just got the people that had to shield due to age/health conditions to do so and let the rest of us carry on. It's a ****ing joke the country is back in recession, people are losing their jobs, the exam **** up plus the media and government spreading fear amongst the population, because the sniffles. 

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Two things in the article don't add up for me.

Firstly international travel has almost ground to a halt since March, so it seems unlikely that a new strain has recently swept Asia, Europe and North America, and replaced the existing strain.

Secondly the vast majority (99%?) of people that contract Covid survive, so a less deadly version would have a very small comparative advantage over the original strain, and a few months isn't enough to see any practical difference in the spread of the 2 strains.

New strains of viruses appear from random mutations. Virus RNA mutates much more often than DNA. It's very common for mutations to happen, and for a variety of strains to be circulating at one time. That's why the flu vaccine can be hit or miss in terms of efficency.

So less international travel makes no difference really. It might not be the same weaker strain circulating in different countries but there is a tendency for viruses to weaken. It is likely there has been differing strains circulating for some time and I'd expect over time to see the more contagious but weaker strain predominate with time. Whether that's what is going on I obviously can't say but it certainly would be a positive for everyone if so. 

No doubt improvements in treatment etc are making a difference but the lack of substantial increase even in hospitalisations hopefully points towards the virus weakening. 

24 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

New strains of viruses appear from random mutations. Virus RNA mutates much more often than DNA. It's very common for mutations to happen, and for a variety of strains to be circulating at one time. That's why the flu vaccine can be hit or miss in terms of efficency.

So less international travel makes no difference really. It might not be the same weaker strain circulating in different countries but there is a tendency for viruses to weaken. It is likely there has been differing strains circulating for some time and I'd expect over time to see the more contagious but weaker strain predominate with time. Whether that's what is going on I obviously can't say but it certainly would be a positive for everyone if so. 

No doubt improvements in treatment etc are making a difference but the lack of substantial increase even in hospitalisations hopefully points towards the virus weakening. 

I don't disagree with what you've said, but the article quoted specifically said that one strain had become dominant across several continents. Whereas the situation will actually be more akin to Darwin's Galapagos finches on a grand scale.

Hopefully many of the strains are weakening, but unlike at the start of the year when the virus was running rampant, a lot of people who get infected now will be getting a relatively small dose due to improved social distancing, resulting in a milder illness.

5 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Viruses are part of human evolution.

Viruses have given us the ability of memory.

Illness is part of health.

Death is part of life.

Wish folk would man the fek up.

And I have high risk loved ones.

We have absolutely no real understanding of this and even the scientific community are beginning to split.

And even their knowledge is limited.

Bottom line .

Hide in the house or dont.

Ps

Sorry bit aggressive that post.

I agree with your views on this.

Edited by jake

Back to 2005
6 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Why do countries that did not follow the tyrannical lockdown and face nappies policy not have a massive covid outbreak? 

Let me answer. It's because they dont work.

Let's hope we can get back to normal before we follow Australia with mandatory vaccines (or you lose your job/benefits) or New Zealand with their covid jail camps. 

But I suspect this is going to drag on for a while yet.

Meanwhile in the UK nobody dies from flu anymore.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This. 
All day long Jim. 
:spoton:

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, OBE said:

What a vile ***** he is. 

7 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I don't disagree with what you've said, but the article quoted specifically said that one strain had become dominant across several continents. Whereas the situation will actually be more akin to Darwin's Galapagos finches on a grand scale.

Hopefully many of the strains are weakening, but unlike at the start of the year when the virus was running rampant, a lot of people who get infected now will be getting a relatively small dose due to improved social distancing, resulting in a milder illness.

Except that the people that are catching it are doing so because they are NOT socially distancing or following other guidelines. 

The Internet
56 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Except that the people that are catching it are doing so because they are NOT socially distancing or following other guidelines. 

Not strictly true is it. You can catch it by picking up a box of cereal in a shop, or a family member can bring it home, doesn't mean you weren't following guidelines. Out of interest are there any stats or documents on how people are actually catching it? Something I've always wondered, like where and when people picked it up? 

11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Why doesn't he just ask his god to make everyone immune? Prayers don't work now, huh? Weird that.

Comms need renewed, current system doesn't work, never has.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic