Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

39 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Im out of the country so had rented my house out. 

If I’m made redundant, sent home and my tenants are unable to pay any rent, I’d be stuck paying a mortgage (their rent covers about 60% of my mortgage payments) and a rent for my family - all without an income. 

Is that fair or just?

You can serve notice if you and your family are moving back into the property, but not because the tenant is unable to pay their rent. My mate got punted out her flat in May as her landlord was moving back in.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Sausage
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Nobody else took the mortgage out but you, so it's your responsibility to pay it. So yes, I'd say it's fair and just. It's a tough situation but you're never guaranteed rent as a landlord and it's the gamble you take.

No one else took out the tenancy but my tenants, so it’s their responsibility to pay it. See how that logic works?

So you’re saying it’s fair and just to punt them out. 

Captain Sausage
17 minutes ago, Cade said:

won't somebody think of the landlord's yield?

:sob:

Landlords were already given a mortgage holiday during lockdown, which should also be extended until a sensible solution is found

You haven’t provided a sensible solution. Your only solution has been to allow people to squat indefinitely.

Captain Sausage
3 minutes ago, Alex said:

You can serve notice if you and your family are moving back into the property, but not because the tenant is unable to pay thir rent. My mate got punted out her flat in May as her landlord was moving back in.

Not within the fixed term, which is fair enough. 👍

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

No one else took out the tenancy but my tenants, so it’s their responsibility to pay it. See how that logic works?

So you’re saying it’s fair and just to punt them out. 

No, I'm saying nobody should be punted out of their residence (key phrase) for not being able to pay at the moment. 

However, you don't live in that home so if the mortgage company took it off you, you're not losing the home over your head. I'd not be opposed to those with buy to let mortgages losing their properties if they don't pay. They're largely what have created this issue by driving up prices.

What is more important to the UK?

Making sure the 270,000 households in rental arrears are not all turfed out in 4 week's time?

Or protecting Landlord's profits?

The entire housing system in the UK is broken and this situation is only highlighting that.

Council waiting lists are years long due to the sell-off of the 80s not being done properly and council stock never being replenished.
Families are spending years living in hotel rooms and B&Bs paid for by the council instead, and are moved around at a moment's notice.

There is nowhere to put these people if they are all turfed out in september.

Edited by Cade

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

No, I'm saying nobody should be punted out of their residence (key phrase) for not being able to pay at the moment. 

However, you don't live in that home so if the mortgage company took it off you, you're not losing the home over your head. I'd not be opposed to those with buy to let mortgages losing their properties if they don't pay. They're largely what have created this issue by driving up prices.

if I’m let go from my job, I will lose the house over my head and be sent home. 

I don’t have a BTL mortgage, I have consent to let. 

Pls advise. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Not within the fixed term, which is fair enough. 👍

I think I've peaked with my knowledge, being nosey now, am I right in thinking it's not in Scotland?

Captain Sausage
4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think I've peaked with my knowledge, being nosey now, am I right in thinking it's not in Scotland?

yeh, daan saaf

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

I have quite a few family members and acquittances who are teachers/educators. Whilst, it’s a lazy generalisation, they are incredibly adept at moaning, usually about stuff that everyone else has to put up with. 

Nothing triggers a teacher like telling them they don’t have the hardest job or anything close to in the world. 

I do think a large part of its down to the environment and they have never really been out an educational setting, in many cases.  

Those who can do those who can’t teach🙈

Without getting into the specifics I believe I'm entitled to have my concerns. 

It is a profession that has its fair share of moaners I'd agree with that. I also agree with the toxic environment. 

I had many jobs before I became a teacher but many dont leave education which can be telling I'd agree. 

I have a successful career outside the classroom thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

if I’m let go from my job, I will lose the house over my head and be sent home. 

I don’t have a BTL mortgage, I have consent to let. 

Pls advise. 

Okay my advice is I include consent to let with my previous statement. 

You'll lose the home over your head in whatever country you're in. That's your choice to be there and I'd like to think they'd offer the same protection for renters I'm advocating for those here. Whether they do or not, I don't know. I hope they do. What I hope more is that neither you, nor your tenants end up in that scenario 🤞👍

Captain Sausage
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Okay my advice is I include consent to let with my previous statement. 

You'll lose the home over your head in whatever country you're in. That's your choice to be there and I'd like to think they'd offer the same protection for renters I'm advocating for those here. Whether they do or not, I don't know. I hope they do. What I hope more is that neither you, nor your tenants end up in that scenario 🤞👍

Fully agreed on your last statement. Same to you 🙂

Although on the point about it being my choice - that can equally be levelled at my tenants. They chose our house, signed a contract. I fully expect both parties to adhere to the contract - fairs fair. 

It’s a shitshow - and I absolutely agree with someone’s point above about Thatcher’s policy to systematically destroy social housing resulting in this absolute mess. I would not be a landlord under any normal circumstance, only due to being abroad and not wanting my house left empty. 

But it’s too easy to paint all landlords as bad guys, and all tenants as innocent angels - when the reality is there are good guys and wanks in both camps. 

1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Im out of the country so had rented my house out. 

If I’m made redundant, sent home and my tenants are unable to pay any rent, I’d be stuck paying a mortgage (their rent covers about 60% of my mortgage payments) and a rent for my family - all without an income. 

Is that fair or just?

That's the chance you take renting out your house . You can't have it both ways. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Fully agreed on your last statement. Same to you 🙂

Although on the point about it being my choice - that can equally be levelled at my tenants. They chose our house, signed a contract. I fully expect both parties to adhere to the contract - fairs fair. 

It’s a shitshow - and I absolutely agree with someone’s point above about Thatcher’s policy to systematically destroy social housing resulting in this absolute mess. I would not be a landlord under any normal circumstance, only due to being abroad and not wanting my house left empty. 

But it’s too easy to paint all landlords as bad guys, and all tenants as innocent angels - when the reality is there are good guys and wanks in both camps. 

I'm not meaning to paint landlords as bad guys. I'm painting the system as inherently bad. Your tenants chose a residence, everyone should have that 'luxury' and be able to reside in it without fear of eviction. Every full time worker should be able to afford their own home and the state via taxation should be able to afford to house those that are unable to work full time. It's a disgrace that people can be earning the average annual salary but be unable to get on the housing ladder. A large part of that is due to their ability to save for a deposit being drained by private landlords looking to profit from other people's need to survive.

I get your situation is a bit different and I was rather gung ho, so apologies for that, but it's a topic that I feel strongly about. I certainly wouldn't wish harm on any private landlords, but I wouldn't have much sympathy if they lost their properties they don't live in.

Captain Sausage
Just now, Taffin said:

I'm not meaning to paint landlords as bad guys. I'm painting the system as inherently bad. Your tenants chose a residence, everyone should have that 'luxury' and be able to reside in it without fear of eviction. Every full time worker should be able to afford their own home and the state via taxation should be able to afford to house those that are unable to work full time. It's a disgrace that people can be earning the average annual salary but be unable to get on the housing ladder. A large part of that is due to their ability to save for a deposit being drained by private landlords looking to profit from other people's need to survive.

I get your situation is a bit different and I was rather gung ho, so apologies for that, but it's a topic that I feel strongly about. I certainly wouldn't wish harm on any private landlords, but I wouldn't have much sympathy if they lost their properties they don't live in.

:thumbsup:

tbf I was being a bit argumentative too. And in all honesty, I’m generally on the same side of the argument as you. I think BTL is absolute bollocks - people who buy houses specifically to rent them out to other people at a profit are pretty scummy if you ask me.  

We’re in a fairly unique situation, so I don’t like being painted as some money hungry, morality deficient leech. Especially when the reality is that id certainly rather not have someone life in my house, but I can’t insure the house empty, and it’s the lesser of two evils. 

We put it on the market at 10% below market value because it’s not really about the money, but I just want enough to cover if it gets absolutely trashed. 

Anywho, a bit off topic!

13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

Lot of projection there bud.  

Though let’s be honest, your career ‘outside the classroom’ can’t be all that successful if still teaching. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

As I say those who can do, those who can’t teach.

I'm just on here discussing different topics, certainly not projecting. 

Many teachers have successful careers outwith the classroom but enjoy teaching so manage both. Hope that's Ok.

Edited by viva hate

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Only 2 UK deaths in all settings.

You wouldn't think it according to ITV news tonight. Some radge " journalist" going on about the winter and of course the " second wave"...

Captain Canada

I wondered if anyone with more expertise than me could please read this to see if it's plausible? I'm genuinely not trying to play the daft laddie to make a point - just trying to get to the facts. Thanks 

"Using Bayes analysis and conditional probability shows that the likelihood of being infected with SC2, even if you test positive is around 10%."

https://principia-scientific.com/the-mathematics-of-covid19-testing/

AlphonseCapone
6 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

I wondered if anyone with more expertise than me could please read this to see if it's plausible? I'm genuinely not trying to play the daft laddie to make a point - just trying to get to the facts. Thanks 

"Using Bayes analysis and conditional probability shows that the likelihood of being infected with SC2, even if you test positive is around 10%."

https://principia-scientific.com/the-mathematics-of-covid19-testing/

Wanted to read it as I'm into stats shall we say but the first 5 paragraphs were too painful. Author comes across as an angry, condescending twat. I have JKB for that. 

Captain Canada
3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Wanted to read it as I'm into stats shall we say but the first 5 paragraphs were too painful. Author comes across as an angry, condescending twat. I have JKB for that. 

Yeah, I glossed over that part as arguing over politics doesn't interest me at all. 

7 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

😂 off course it’s ok. 

If they enjoy teaching why the **** do they moan about so much?

Even you admit they are moaning ****s. 

I’m genuinely interested, whilst it was a lazy generalisation, like most they are born from a element of truth. That’s most certainly the case with teachers. 

Also teachers are incredibly defensive about any challenge to their profession. Always amuses me, clearly a by product of being in education system. 

I manage to complete all my work within the 35 hrs a week and I love and appreciate the holidays I get which help me fit in my other pursuits. 

I may leave one day and focus on other things but teaching kids is actually a great laugh. 

I work with incredibly cleaver people who just enjoy teaching and and for other, they've peaked, I'm not sure if that's why. Some walk about like they are they are some sort of martyrs doing gods work. Some like the authority they have over the kids. 

There are certainly those who "can't do" and can barely teach so maybe they are the problem. I've always had a career running alongside my subject which keeps my knowledge and understanding up to date. Because my subject is my job, career and hobby I'm not thoroughly miserable at work. The teachers that moan are the ones that just know enough to get by and it shows. They are the ones who go home at night and post "gin o'clock" memes on FB. 

Yea it can be a product of being in the education system. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, viva hate said:

I work with incredibly cleaver people

I hope you don't teach English :) 

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, viva hate said:

I manage to complete all my work within the 35 hrs a week and I love and appreciate the holidays I get which help me fit in my other pursuits. 

I may leave one day and focus on other things but teaching kids is actually a great laugh. 

I work with incredibly cleaver people who just enjoy teaching and and for other, they've peaked, I'm not sure if that's why. Some walk about like they are they are some sort of martyrs doing gods work. Some like the authority they have over the kids. 

There are certainly those who "can't do" and can barely teach so maybe they are the problem. I've always had a career running alongside my subject which keeps my knowledge and understanding up to date. Because my subject is my job, career and hobby I'm not thoroughly miserable at work. The teachers that moan are the ones that just know enough to get by and it shows. They are the ones who go home at night and post "gin o'clock" memes on FB. 

Yea it can be a product of being in the education system. 

As an aside I can never understand people who moan about their job...not saying you do..but people can leave a job...we are not trees....There are a load in my workplace and they are so negative about everything . I wish they would just **** off. 

Edited by JamesM48

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

As an aside I can never understand people who moan about their job...not saying you do..but people can leave a job...we are not trees....There are a load in my workplace and they are so negative about everything . I wish they would just **** off. 

That's very true. I have a few gripes just now but generally I'm very happy with my job. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, weehammy said:

Just to set the record str8 on the ‘moaning teachers’ topic that I may have started, while unapologetic on the moaning, I firmly believe that teaching is an honourable and deeply rewarding profession. I have no regrets about my long teaching career even though I stumbled into it by accident.

There was some research done a while back and adults were asked who their roles models were and most said a teacher from school.  I remember the really good teachers and the really awful ones for differing reasons. 

3 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Interesting fact. The average age of death from covid 19 is higher than the average UK life expectancy. 

No it's not.

It is in Scotland though.

(From the figures I've seen)

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

'Low risk does not mean no risk, no one is invincible and if you do not die from Covid-19, it may stick to your body like a tornado with a long tail.

'While young people are less likely to die than older people they can still be very seriously affected, this virus affects organs throughout the body.' 

It is thought that younger generations have contributed to recent resurgences of Covid-19 by gathering for parties, barbecues and holidays amid the easing of lockdown restrictions.

Dr Kluge's warning comes after the global coronavirus death toll topped 788,000.  

'Younger people also need to take on board that they have a responsibility,' said WHO emergencies chief Mike Ryan in an online discussion. 

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

'Low risk does not mean no risk, no one is invincible and if you do not die from Covid-19, it may stick to your body like a tornado with a long tail.

'While young people are less likely to die than older people they can still be very seriously affected, this virus affects organs throughout the body.' 

It is thought that younger generations have contributed to recent resurgences of Covid-19 by gathering for parties, barbecues and holidays amid the easing of lockdown restrictions.

Dr Kluge's warning comes after the global coronavirus death toll topped 788,000.  

'Younger people also need to take on board that they have a responsibility,' said WHO emergencies chief Mike Ryan in an online discussion. 

Are you a sturgeon robot planted on every fans forum in Scotland 

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you a sturgeon robot planted on every fans forum in Scotland 

The first scare stories were that young and/or healthy people were at risk of death as well, now that been proven inaccurate t's that they may get serious ongoing issues. Just like you may get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Surely if something was stuck in your body 'like a tornado with a long tail' you would be hospitalised yet that doesn't appear to be happening in any significant numbers despite cases going up.

Edited by Taffin

Weakened Offender
6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Are you a sturgeon robot planted on every fans forum in Scot

For someone who critiques other people's posting styles, your own attempts could do with a wee bit reflection. 

That's an utterly chronic attempt at humour. 

The students at my school haven't had to wear a mask in school or on the school bus but oday I was asked to go through a PowerPoint on how to put on a mask, how to care for a mask and the implications of not wearing one.it all felt a bit last minute to be honest. 

I expect this was the council gearing up for another announcement asking senior students to mask up. 

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The first scare stories were that young and/or healthy people were at risk of death as well, now that been proven inaccurate t's that they may get serious ongoing issues. Just like you may get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Surely if something was stuck in your body 'like a tornado with a long tail' you would be hospitalised yet that doesn't appear to be happening in any significant numbers despite cases going up.

Yeah. I'm dissing the poster not what it's posting. Total troll

Edited by Nucky Thompson

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

For someone who critiques other people's posting styles, your own attempts could do with a wee bit reflection. 

That's an utterly chronic attempt at humour. 

That's a bit bitchy Mrs :D

JudyJudyJudy
27 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Or the more younger people get it the more chance herd immunity is achieved ? So I’ve read . 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Where’s all the hospital admissions then ? Since there have been numerous spikes etc reported almost daily ? 

Back to 2005

The bit natural orders missed...

'So, I was on duty over the weekend at one of the West Midlands hospitals and we didn’t receive a single referral for a patient from the wards or emergency departments strongly suspected to have Covid-19. We’re simply not seeing it.

so why is Sturgeon/Johnson not removing restrictions?  What is actuality going on we don't know about? 

Edited by Back to 2005

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

You wouldn't think it according to ITV news tonight. Some radge " journalist" going on about the winter and of course the " second wave"...

i think the news reports daily tend to be very negative for whatever reason. two deaths today only six yesterday (yes every death is terrible) but i think that we just need to get on with life as best/normal as possible. Out of all the positive tests in the Aberdeen area none in hospital according to a work colleague. i have said this before but imo the economy now is every bit if not more important as saving lives (controversial i know). nobody can predict what the future holds but the more the economy shuts down a lot of jobless people will have no hope no light at the end of the tunnel. Croatia have had 265 positive tests today and the UK 1033 and yet we ask holiday makers to quarantine. We've had 41k deaths Croatia 169 doesn't make sense.

I wouldn't worry about covid.

We have entered the 6th mass extinction .

Not a jot done about that.

Whole things a crock of shit.

If you have any sense ignore what your told.

Wheres that 9/11 thread.

😁

WTC7 collapsed from office fires 😂

Ibrahim Tall
17 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think the news reports daily tend to be very negative for whatever reason. two deaths today only six yesterday (yes every death is terrible) but i think that we just need to get on with life as best/normal as possible. Out of all the positive tests in the Aberdeen area none in hospital according to a work colleague. i have said this before but imo the economy now is every bit if not more important as saving lives (controversial i know). nobody can predict what the future holds but the more the economy shuts down a lot of jobless people will have no hope no light at the end of the tunnel. Croatia have had 265 positive tests today and the UK 1033 and yet we ask holiday makers to quarantine. We've had 41k deaths Croatia 169 doesn't make sense.

265/4,000,000 is a larger ratio than 1033/67,000,000 tbh. 
Also, the Croatia point is pretty irrelevant to your argument about the economy(which I don’t disagree with), the Uk is barely benefiting from people travelling abroad and spending cash in Croatia etc. Given our own leisure and holiday sector is dying badly if people ‘want’ to save British jobs and businesses they’d be better off holidaying within the UK and helping to partly replace the massive drop in foreign tourists.

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Yeah he conveniently missed that ! Quell surprise 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

265/4,000,000 is a larger ratio than 1033/67,000,000 tbh. 
Also, the Croatia point is pretty irrelevant to your argument about the economy(which I don’t disagree with), the Uk is barely benefiting from people travelling abroad and spending cash in Croatia etc. Given our own leisure and holiday sector is dying badly if people ‘want’ to save British jobs and businesses they’d be better off holidaying within the UK and helping to partly replace the massive drop in foreign tourists.

Whilst I Agree with stay cations to boost the economy , most go on holiday for the hot weather and that’s not happening here . 

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Good posting btw 

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

The bit natural orders missed...

'So, I was on duty over the weekend at one of the West Midlands hospitals and we didn’t receive a single referral for a patient from the wards or emergency departments strongly suspected to have Covid-19. We’re simply not seeing it.

so why is Sturgeon/Johnson not removing restrictions?  What is actuality going on we don't know about? 

The politicians will very soon have to admit that the virus is weakening,  as happens naturally with all viruses as they mutate, and that the threat to public health is minimal.  Most sensible people know this. The outbreak in Aberdeen was related to an individual who knew he should have been self isolating but didn't but, given that pubs have been open for about 5 weeks or so and only a handful have had any problems,  the FM is out of touch if she thinks opening hospitality has been problematic.  

doctor jambo
13 hours ago, Back to 2005 said:

Interesting fact. The average age of death from covid 19 is higher than the average UK life expectancy. 

So you are saying that contracting COVID prolongs life?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic